CAP 33 - Part 7 - Stat Spread Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CAP 33 So Far

-----

The purpose of this thread is to vote on the stat spreads developed in the Stats Submission thread. Here are the explanations Da Pizza Man, our Section Leader for this stage, has provided for each of the options in his final slate. In addition, please refer to the Stats Submission thread here to make an educated decision when submitting your ballot.

kenn
HPAtkDefSpASpDSpePSSSPTSTBSR
Optional Defining Moves: Scald, Hydro Pump, Strength Sap, Haze

Starting with what I believe is the most average spread of the bunch, kenn's spread serves as a general check to various offensive threats rather than a strong counter to a select few. This spread to me is very reminiscent of Rotom-Wash, who has seen success in pretty much every prior generation of OU/CAP and has seen decent use earlier this generation. One notable aspect of kenn's spread is his decision to boost his spread's Special Attack to near the limit, giving it an easy way to force out many of the offensive threats that CAP33 would be expected to deal with. Backing up this ideology as presented in his spread, kenn supplements his spread with the ability to OHKO key threats, which may seem anti-concept on a surface level. However, I think that this is something that actually works really well with the concept at hand, as it is very much representative of defensive Pokemon in the modern metagame, with most, if not all of them, having some form of way of forcing out offensive Pokemon, whether it be through offensive presence or through crippling status moves, with this spread obviously focusing more on the former than the latter.

Brambane
Optional Defining Moves: Haze

Going into this stage, one of the things that surprised me the most was the lack of high HP spreads. In the past, we have seen plenty of success from Pokemon such as Amoongus and Astrolotl as defensive Pokemon thanks to their high HP stats, allowing for more flexibility when creating different EV Spreads. Knowing this, I decided that it would be appropriate to have at least one high HP spread represented on the slate, and even with the low number of high HP spreads, Brambane's spread stood out to me the most. Brambane decided to take a fairly interesting approach in regards to his spread, choosing to sacrifice his speed to lean into the aforementioned flexibility of bulk that is granted by having high HP. Of particular note, Brambane notes that his spread was purposefully designed to make sure that Ogerpon always has a chance to OHKO at +2 even through Multiscale, so as to encourage speed investment rather than dumping all of our EVs into our bulk. This was a very smart idea, as it not only plays into our concept beautifully but also acts as a nice balancing measure that we can always fall back on for later stages of the project.

Zetalz
Optional Defining Moves: Scald, Knock Off, Hydro Pump, Haze

Continuing the theme of flexibility, Zetalz takes a slightly different approach from Brambane, choosing to instead place most of the spread's customizability in its speed. This is seen with his fairly unconventional choice of speed, being just enough to outspeed offensive Great Tusk without investment, allowing the spread to sacrifice some of its speed for better defensive capabilities. An argument can be made that this is rather anti-concept, but I personally do not really think this is all that much of an issue, as Zetalz's choice to go with a fairly conservative defensive spread heavily encourages us to invest in our speed. Another aspect of Zetalz's spread that I like, which I haven't seen represented too much in other spreads that were submitted, was the emphasis on special bulk rather than physical bulk. While there seems to be a common sentiment in the thread that physical bulk is a bit more valuable than special bulk, many of the Special Attackers that we would want to switch in on, such as Dragapult and Walking Wake, are incredibly strong attackers, so giving his spread ability to take these threats on without relying too much on Multiscale was a smart move by Zetalz to both stand out from the crowd and give his spread a solid niche.

Wulfanator
Optional Defining Moves: Scald

Wulfanator took a very interesting approach with his spread, choosing to sacrifice his spread's speed to focus heavily on the bulk of this spread, the exact opposite direction that many other users took with their spreads. That's not to say that Wulfanator's spread is slow, though, as it is still fast enough to outspeed key offensive threats such as Cawmodore and Iron Valiant. To make up for this lost speed, Wulfanator elected to use the bonus granted to his spread to push both of the limits that I had set to our bulk nearly to their limits, alongside having a fairly respectable Special Attack stat capable of OHKOing Iron Valiant with Moonblast without any investment.

StarFalcon555
Optional Defining Moves: Hydro Pump, Haze, Knock Off

StarFalcon555 took a fairly conservative approach with her spread, which in a way serves as the antithesis of Wulfanator's spread. At 139 Speed, StarFalcon555 has the highest speed of any spread that made it onto the slate and the third highest speed of any spread that was submitted in general, being just enough to outspeed Zamazenta. In exchange, Starfalcon555 chose to be fairly conservative regarding both the bulk and power of her spread, having both the overall lowest Special Attack and being one of only two spreads to not have 110 or more points in either PT or ST. That being said, Starfalcon's spread is still strong enough to hit some crucial benchmarks for this project, such as the ability to OHKO Iron Valiant after Stealth Rock damage and 2HKO Hemogoblin with Surf. In regards to bulk, much of what can be said about kenn's spread applies to StarFalcon555's spread as well, choosing to rely on having more mixed defensives that allow it to serve as a more general check rather than a specialized counter.

quziel
Optional Defining Moves: Scald, Haze

Last but not least, we have a fairly last-minute submission from our previous Stats Leader, quziel. quziel decided that the best approach to his spread was to design it around two critical matchups, those being Roaring Moon and Hemogoblin. This resulted in a spread with incredibly high physical bulk, capable of avoiding a critical 3HKO with the assistance of Multiscale. To assist in this matchup, quziel chose to go with a fairly modest amount of Special Attack, capable of just being able to 2HKO Hemogoblin with Scald and OHKO Roaring Moon with Moonblast. That being said, while his spread is primarily designed around combating physical attackers, it still has a fairly strong matchup into special attackers such as Dragapult and Walking Wake, something I mentioned in my description of Zetalz's spread as key matchups and something I was worried about many of the other physically oriented spreads being unable to get around.

=====================

As a reminder, defining moves being listed above does not mean that they will be given during the movepool stage; rather that the stat spread creator has identified them as reasons that their spread may be weaker than its competition in some area, or as being important for calculations done when creating the stat spread.

-----

This will be a Ranked Pairs vote (RP) (a form of voting where each candidate is ranked according to head to head matchups with each of its competitors in a directed acyclic graph), the details of which were discussed here.

This is a ranked vote: order does matter! You can upvote your favorites and downvote your least favorites. You may choose to rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible to ensure your preferences are taken into account.

Bold your votes and nothing else!
A typical vote might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • The spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the A in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

CAP uses blind voting. Other people's votes won't appear in the thread, but they are counted and will be made visible at the end of the voting timeframe. For more information about this change, check out this PRC thread.

Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

The voting options are:

Ballot OptionHPAtkDefSpASpDSpePSSSPTSTBSR
kenn66581049710413178.44124.6197.9998.52554.99
Brambane1264070937012659.63120.16101.79102.26553.80
Zetalz8242889010513361.85117.3095.10110.84549.46
Wulfanator50591379213311978.18117.52110.02107.55564.01
StarFalcon55566521168611613972.35113.32107.72108.11552.20
quziel8032111889912551.80114.79114.40104.11558.83

Please only put the bolded names of each user in your ballot. Those options are as follows:

kenn
Brambane
Zetalz
Wulfanator
StarFalcon555
quziel

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
kenn
quziel
Zetalz
Wulfanator
StarFalcon555
Brambane

Last edited:
StarFalcon555
kenn
Brambane
Wulfanator
quziel
Zetalz

getting slated feels so unreal to me... I'm actually shaking rn holy fucking BINGLE :row: good luck to everyone else who got slated! all of these are really good and will work great for CAP33's concept and role regardless of who wins! :bellipog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)