CAP 33 - Part 15 - Flavor Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CAP 33 So Far

----

Please pay very close attention to kenn's posts during this thread and remain on topic. DO NOT begin by posting massive lists of abilities!

Some general rules for this discussion:
  • Custom abilities are banned. No exceptions. Posts suggesting custom abilities will be deleted.
  • There are ability banlists for the different stages of ability discussion. Posts suggesting banned abilities will be deleted.
The following abilities are banned from this discussion:

Arena Trap
As One
Aura Break
Bad Dreams
Battle Bond
Beads Of Ruin
Beast Boost *
Chilling Neigh
Commander
Dark Aura
Dauntless Shield
Delta Stream
Desolate Land
Disguise
Dragon's Maw
Fairy Aura
Flower Gift
Forecast
Full Metal Body
Grim Neigh
Gulp Missile
Hadron Engine
Hunger Switch
Ice Face
Illusion
Imposter
Intrepid Sword
Moody
Multitype
Neuroforce
Orichalcum Pulse
Power Construct
Primordial Sea
Prism Armor
Protosynthesis *
Quark Drive *
RKS System
Schooling
Shadow Shield
Shadow Tag
Shields Down
Soul Heart
Stance Change
Sword Of Ruin
Tablets Of Ruin
Teravolt
Transistor
Turboblaze
Unseen Fist
Vessel Of Ruin
Victory Star
Wonder Guard
Zen Mode
Zero To Hero

Bulletproof
Color Change*
Defeatist
Dry Skin
Earth Eater
Flash Fire
Fur Coat
Good As Gold
Gorilla Tactics
Huge Power
Ice Scales
Libero*
Levitate
Lightning Rod
Magic Bounce
Magic Guard
Magnet Pull
Mimicry*
Motor Drive
Parental Bond
Protean*
Pure Power
Purifying Salt
Regenerator
Sap Sipper
Slow Start
Stall
Storm Drain
Truant
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb
Water Bubble
Well Baked Body
Wind Rider

Comatose
Drizzle
Drought
Electric Surge
Fluffy
Grassy Surge
Innards Out
Misty Surge
Prankster
Psychic Surge
Sand Stream
Snow Warning
Speed Boost
Stamina
Steam Engine
Supreme Overlord
Toxic Debris
Triage

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Hi everyone, I'm here again to lead us into determining Cresceidon's Hidden Ability! We are almost done with the process as a whole, so let's get this stage rolling in order to have a succesful 2.0 release!

So for this stage, there's really not much to discuss in terms of where we wanna go, so I will allow ability submissions from the get-go. Before you submit though, keep in mind we are going for strictly flavor as we have 2 viable and competitively-minded abilities with Multiscale and Rough Skin providing Cresceidon with all the tools it truly needs. Your submissions must be based in flavor and have a good reasoning as to why it fits flavor-wise and has no competitive implications.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I'd like to throw both Hydration and Water Veil into the running, both abilities with fairly niche competitive merit, and in no way will get use over it's others, but both are fairly fitting abilities for Cresceidon.

Edit:
Water Veil has prevalence in large water pokemon like Wailord and Dondozo, which I personally find quite fitting!

Illuminate seems like a nice flavour pick considering it has a glowing crescent at the top of its head and the ability does effectively nothing atm (unless Game Freak buffs it).

Synchronize also sounds like a neat option because of this being a wave Pokémon that has mystical properties being Fairy type and all.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
going to pitch Pressure; water pressure is a big factor in ocean depths of cresceidon’s caliber and pressure is also an ability seen on other behemoth pokemon. competitively it’s considerably weaker than rough skin and multiscale considering the recovery pp nerf and its gameplan.

also support water veil

I'd lean towards Water Veil or Pressure due to the Water flavor Cresceidon has. Wailord and Dondozo are precedents for the former, and Pressure fits the Pokemon's density.

I am an Illuminate fan, but would also like to throw out Storm Drain. Tsunamis are know for sucking water out to sea to build up strength.

I'd like to provide an alternative view of an ability and suggest Torrent. It probably wouldn't be the most useful of abilities, but it would be interesting to see if something like that could work on such a Pokémon.

Maybe Cresceidon could do some substitute + berry shenanigans? I don't know, just throwing it out there cause the torrents are related to water and stuff. Would be an interesting angle to explore.

I don't think Torrent is the best ability from a flavor perspective, since it is almost exclusive to starter Pokemon (with Panpour/Simipour as the only exception).

I also don't like Dazzling, Storm Drain, or Water Compaction as flavor abilities, since I think they have potential competitive implications.

I support Water Veil, Pressure, and Damp.

Strongly supporting Water Veil. Cresceidon is a wall, which is sort of like a shield, which veils its allies? I suppose? Work with me here :'D

Also works with the flavor illustrations of it being protective, and with the crest of a wave kind of being a veil of water to begin with.

This might be controversial, but I'm not a big fan of Pressure here. A lot of people are forgetting that Pressure actually made the Primary Ability slate for Cresceidon, and while it's certainly worse than Multiscale and Rough Skin, I still worry that Cresceidon's bulk will allow it to use Pressure competitively, which is not what we want for a flavor ability.

An ability I think would be really cool that hasn't been mentioned here yet is Wind Rider. This references the relationship between waves and wind perfectly, and also wouldn't be broken at all on Cresceidon since its base Attack is so low. I'm also a fan of Water Veil, Hydration, and Damp.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Water Veil and Illuminate are very good and simple flavor abilities. Not much else to say, they just fit really well and neither have any competitive implications.

I’m gonna throw my support behind Water Veil and Wind Rider. While the latter might theoretically have the tiniest bits of utility in being immune to Hurricane, I feel that it’s so minor that no sane person runs it over Multiscale or Rough Skin, especially when it resists any other relevant wind move and the Attack boost is pointless on such a low Attack stat.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
This might be controversial, but I'm not a big fan of Pressure here. A lot of people are forgetting that Pressure actually made the Primary Ability slate for Cresceidon, and while it's certainly worse than Multiscale and Rough Skin, I still worry that Cresceidon's bulk will allow it to use Pressure competitively, which is not what we want for a flavor ability.
you raise a good point abt pressure but at the same time it was brought up in part because of its low power (as a way to focus the bulk of cresc's build on other factors aside from the ability) compared to the popular options which ended up winning. i think when you consider it being an option in the builder alongside multiscale and rough skin which are abilities it is on a trajectory to keep it loses that competitive edge

I'm tossing in support for Hydration, Pressure & Wind Rider, though I'm also against Damp for the reason that Creseidon appears to be more liquid than airy moisture, and I'd prefer Hydration over Water Veil for a wider variety of interactions that'd be available. I would like to throw in Wandering Spirit for a more Fairy-like tie in as well that waves are constantly on the move, as well as Long Reach, because for a wave that size, it'd obviously have a long reach and as a presumably liquid entity, it can avoid contact effects as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)