CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generic, isn't it?

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4969/temporaryfile2.png

So it's a fiery-looking snake with some smog coming out of its tail. Not much of a story behind it other than snakes are poisonous and they can be fire-oriented.

I've done fiery reptiles before, lol, due to my own ideas and other artists'. So if any themes seem familiar, that might not be just coincidence.
I was gonna ask for someone to draw a snake 'cause I don't know how to draw.. thank you for thinking like me, and please win, you're design is awesome *-*

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heading out so I'll give quick comments to my favorites so far:

Doran Dragon: I like the design a lot and it feels very flexible in terms of physical or specially-based attacking (unlike mine >_>). I would like to see if you could do more with the lion's head, as right now it feels more canine than feline (unless that was your intent).

Azul: This concept intrigues me a lot--it has a bit of the Mawile-like appendage fusion going on that kinda makes you go "WTF" when you first see it. Your link is broken, btw. I see it being more like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_tube_worm

giant tube worms than the plant you linked to, though (the worms, by the way, perhaps best embody fire/poison in nature). It would be cool if someone based their concept around it, because it ties in the whole "I beat water types" aspect while still keeping fire and poison as the core elements, I think.

"Ability will be the next step and will generally be focused around how to address Water-type threats, so if you want to keep that in mind as you prepare your works, please feel free."

This means that water will be a threat and MAY be focused on during the abilities stage. Nothing is set in stone, so draw as you wish for now.

@Meddle: you're right, the head is rather canine currently. its an easy fix and i shall do so, so that it may be a bit more accurate

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I haven't posted on Smogon in a while, but I can't miss CAP.
Here's some messy art.

Anyways, a Poison-type I always wanted to see made was a Gila Monster and since they have striking orange coloration, they could be part fire as well. I don't know if CAP will be a bulky Pokemon, but Gilas are quite pudgy in real life so there it is. Coloring will be cleaned up later.

There's also some sketches to the side which you're free to ignore. Just some random ideas.

A nuclear reactor camel, because of heat and radioactive waste...yeah, I don't really know where this is going...

Also made a chimera because yay Greek mythology. They normally have the head of a goat, but I dropped it since it would be overly complicated.

Anyways, tell me what you think and I'll respond back later. :heart:

Looks like Mosquitoxe is back with vengeance after getting shafted in the last project...

Anyway Mos, I think the problem with your design is that the eyes and the mouth are so nondescript that from slightly further away it looks like a LEAKY lava lamp. This is because the center of focus is on the lava lamp, I believe, and not on the face/head.

I'm not exactly a fan of pokemon that look too much like lifeless objects. You could perhaps put a bit more of a jaw or larger eyes on Mr. Lavalamp?

As for Kenzomg, the mask idea is one of the best I've seen, but the rest of the body is very plain. Perhaps you can make it a bit more gimmicky and 3-dimensional (like give it a labcoat?...I dunno...).

DHR said my cap needed a cap, so I capped it to the best of my capacity.

Also have some supplement art. Hopefully that can address some issues regarding subjective concerns of badassitude. And eyes.

Onto others!

Bluemon: I enjoy yours because it's just a monster, no frills, no allusions, just like nidoking or exploud. It's refreshing to see :)
aragornbird: seeing as the gila monster is the colored one you're probably going with that, but I implore you to further explore that nuclear camel you have! It can be the dromedary to Camerupt's bactrian.
Doran Dragon: Also nicely made, but I really would suggest cutting down on the number of toes on the forepaws, for a cleaner finish when spriting comes around.
azul: that's quite good for a paint product! he's small, cute and odd. :)

This is what I have so far based on the hardened lava and the poisonous plant, Arisaema Triphyllum.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/AzulVenatus/i man what do you man/Molten.png?t=1335575340

It's not quite finished. I also only have access to Paint.
Suggestions and criticism are welcome... if you think I have a chance, haha.
I like the idea of this, to an extent, but it looks really cluttered and I would asume that it's a fire/ground type on first glance. I think you should drop the hand and have it have lava roots coming up from the ground instead. Also I think it should be blackish, like volcanic rock, since that seems to be what you're going for.

Not breaking any new ground here with this -also- gila monster/thorny devil critter:

It's pretty self-explanatory really!

I'd like to object to claims that a Pokemon can look too 'baby-ish' or unevolved, although it's a fine opinion to have if you prefer tougher looking Pokemon in general. Shuckle, Kecleon, Mawile and many others pass off as adult, despite not being huge and hulking. If Mos wants to make alterations, that's up to him, but I really like his quirky, original design.

Azul, you also have an attention grabbing concept, although, I feel like the arm and lava flow aren't even that necessary to the design (the lava coming out of the elbow in particular seems a bit random). Maybe you can try experimenting while keeping the head and headpiece, and find a way of making it look more mobile and cohesive?

Also, it's nice to see some old faces back for another round, it feels like a high school reunion every time we do this.
Happy greetings to people contributing for the first time too.

edit: Seven Eagles ditto.
shell smash lava lamp is pretty epic

Posting this again because it got deleted for image size overload. (Citizens of Smogon, please forgive me!)

'Nyways, not the traditional Pokémon-esque style, so I'll have to figure out a way to fix that, but what do you guys think about the concept? (And the headbanging? Personally, I like the headbanging.)

I'm still loving the lava lamp cone snail, and the gila monsters and chimeras and all that jazz are turning out really cool, too. This CAP can certainly go a lot of ways!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! Throwing my hat into the ring. I know we already have a "frog" design, but I'm going for a Poison Dart Frog kind of design. Check out my rough "first" draft:

It's a poison dart frog! I wanted to emphasize on strong colors like red and yellow to signify both the warmth of fire and the warning colors of Poison-types. As you can see, he also has a walking stick. Well, it also doubles as a blow dart gun, so it can shoot both poison and fire out of the stick. Also, if we need some Grass-type coverage, it makes a bit of sense (Wood Hammer, hehe). I'm definitely looking for any thoughts that you guys have; I might even change directions completely before the deadline. In my next draft, I hope to solidify its webbed hands/feet and draw a few action shots~

Also, this is a pretty big revamp of what I was posting on #cap the other night. I originally wanted to work with a trashcan mon, but I don't think it embodied the Fire-typing. Still, feel free to check it out. My current design and the previous draft have kind of similar body forms, so you can get an idea of how it moves/poses.

Outdated Rough Draft

Meddle, I like your new coloring, but I would recommend making the contents of the cauldron a little more intriguing (e.g. Not just 1 single bubble) and also maybe make the smoke look less blobby. Also, for your own sake, couldyou post a new copy once you are done?

Komodo Dragon Cap, Code Name "Molten Spit"

I have my cap designed and such, but i won't be able to get my hands on a scanner (then i have to pretty it up using GIMP) for another 12 hours, until then i'll give the background and explanation for my CAP creation.
NOTE: the name molten spit was a loose name given so that i din't keep calling it my cap, its not a permanent name.
NOTE 2: excuse my grammer issues, its late at night where i live...i'm a tired student, so cut me some slack.

ORIGINAL SKETCH

Brain Storming:
manticor
chimera
gila monster
komodo dragon
wyvern
tatzelwurm
fire bellied toad
steam punk rabbit...it was an idea that didn't go too far

Molten Spit, the Komodo Dragon Inspired CAP.
Komodo Dragons are large, tropical monitor lizards, and are in fact the largest lizard species in the world. Komodos have intensely bacterial saliva that acts as a toxin, slowly killing its prey whilst they rest in the shade. Despite this laziness they are very fast animals and very strong.

Molten Spit is a bipedal komodo dragon that hunches over and sometimes goes down on all fours, the opposite of a real komodo, which only goes bipedal when wrestling with rivals. The fire part of its typing is perfect as it lives in the tropics and, like all lizards require ample heating conditions. the poison type is representative in it's toxic spit. also of interest, the infection caused by the poison bite is said to give the victim a burning sensation and eventually a devastating fever...heat and toxins=fire/poison...

Physically i will try and describe a bit of what it looks like, but a picture will be posted 12-13 hours from now, so...yeah...
It pays some homage to smogon's mascot, koffing, by displaying a set of five markings down it's spine similar to that of koffing's skull mark. It is black, with a flaming orange belly and a gaping maw that lets it's tongue hang out. it's toung and gums area will be blue or yellow, or maybe both and it could act as the difference between the sexes. molten spit (hence the nickname) drips from its protruding tongue and onto the ground.

Its a simple fire lizard. Pretty Basic at the moment. I feel as if I could incorporate the poison part of it a bit more though. Thoughts?

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus

( alternate link: http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=84xlaxl299z3rnu046s5.jpg )

The Pokemon franchise is in dire need of a goat. And throughout the earlier discussions, during the type voting process, we considered an Ice/Rock goat-mon that could potentially have access to things like Mountaineer and Sap Sipper. However, with those hopes crumbled, I instead formulated a way to still include goats into the process. So, I made 'Bellowgoht' (please think of a better name for me). The general concept behind it is that it's a massive goat that expels flames and noxious gas from its mouth, generated by a diet slightly atypical to that of typical goats.

Dedicated to the Ice/Rock-type voters that didn't 'give up their goat' throughout the entire process.

So I make no claims to artistic prowess, but I can claim a love of fecal matter.

Here it is, the first (literal) piece of flaming poop to grace the Pokémon world, and he is hungry for his enemies' bowels. I wanted to give his body a toxic appearance by making its shade somewhere between brown and purple, without of course forgetting that it is powered by a molten core of decomposition energy visible from his chest. The core's heat has the unfortunate side effect of drying out his skin, giving it a cracked and brittle appearance. Do not underestimate his mobility, though - that same core continually replenishes his body with silky, quick-flowing manure.

His fiery hairdo and amorphous scowl are sure to intimidate his opponents at first sight - that is, if the fetid odor of those immolating fumes don't make them keel over first. They had better hope they can grab their clothespins quickly, because he will be sure to pummel them with high-octane Fire Punches and Gunk Shots. Yes, I see him as primarily physically oriented with the ability to go mixed in a pinch (but with weaker attacks).

If this design won, I would personally root for it to have Dry Skin or Solar Power, but I would accept Storm Drain and Stench as excellent alternatives.

This design was 100% conceived by me and drawn using Inkscape (the exported .PNG was resized using Paint.NET).

Azul: This concept intrigues me a lot--it has a bit of the Mawile-like appendage fusion going on that kinda makes you go "WTF" when you first see it. Your link is broken, btw. I see it being more like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_tube_worm

giant tube worms than the plant you linked to, though (the worms, by the way, perhaps best embody fire/poison in nature). It would be cool if someone based their concept around it, because it ties in the whole "I beat water types" aspect while still keeping fire and poison as the core elements, I think.
Also I think it should be blackish, like volcanic rock, since that seems to be what you're going for.
Took in both suggestions and I really like the Giant Tubeworm idea so I'm switching concept.

Volcanic Giant Tubeworm-mon quick facts:

• Likes to dwell around volcanic areas. These Pokemons are extremely rare as most can only be seen around underwater volcanoes.
  • Red marks on body are actually its blood flowing through its body.
  • Implants itself on an area where it can suck lava in its body. Why? Its body needs heat at a immense temperature of 700 °C and more to function.
  • Lack of heat in its body for a long period of time will make its red marks turn dull pink and then eventually white, meaning death.
  • Excess heat are released through the holes in its body parts. The released are extremely toxic as its body is already naturally poisonous.
  • The protected part on its head is its primary organ, or we call it, the heart.
Volcanic Giant Tubeworm-mon not implanted.

(P.S. I'm trying to make the middle part of its head as its primary organ, but I couldn't think of a way to make it look like it. Veiny, pulsating, swolen? Suggestions?)

Now, for my feedback for other contestants:

@Mos: Cute and simple, I can't think of any possible major changes to your design!
@Cartoons: It's a cool looking design, but as you said, it's very generic at the same time. I know you can be more creative than that! See: Fidgit

canno

formerly The Reptile
Nov, I like the concept, but imo it doesn't express poison enough. A way to fix this is to have it "drool" acid / oil / sludge / some type of poison out of it's mouth. You could also try covering portions of it's body in sacks of poison to emphasis the poison-typing

Aragornbird I'd really liek to see you try fleshign out the Chimera design personally. The Gila monster is pretty spot-on already, but the Chimera intrigues me.

Camel I'm not a fan of... A Fiery camel with dangerous liquids pouring out the hump isn't exactly... erupting with originality. :p

edit: oh wait I totally didn't see that Doran dragon is also trying something Chimera-like...

Mos-Quitoxe, I have to say that in all honesty that is the single most beautiful thing I have seen in a CAP art thread. I much prefer the first version without the cap, though. It's just incredible.

Anyway with that out of the way, here's my little incense-burning plague-doctor, puffing smoke out of its nostrils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)