CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 14 - Pokedex Entry Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Necturna

The Wilted Plant Pokemon

Black : The vine on Necturna's back has a mind of its own. It's Necturna's main means of speaking with the dead.

White : It wilts plants with a single glance. The teeth on its body are used to trap and devour prey.

Final Submission

Necturna

Undertaker Pokemon

Black: Necturna traps a wandering spirit within its body. Its sweet scent calms the spirit so it can enter the afterlife.

White: Necturna secretes an odor that smells foul to living creatures, but sweet to the souls of the deceased.

notes: The pokemon canon already sets some precedent for having restless spirits which haven't entered the afterlife (but eventually do). I'm thinking here of the events in Lavender town, with the ghost of Marowak.

Sort of explains Sketch (not explicitly) as learning a technique learned from the spirit it has trapped.

Final submission:
Necturna, Dusk Pokemon
White: One can see them wandering damaged forests after a storm or an inferno. They are said to embody the nature's mourn.
Black: A Necturna was once seen draining life from a young willow until it dried up to make a dead bramble flourish again.

Okay, this thread is pretty much dying, and I did get a couple of good comments for my submission(s). It has really worried me throughout the thread that I got nothing out of Wyverii, Doug and Rising_Dusk, but I'm going to try and at least get slated because I respect the opinions of these people.

Final Submission

Species: Soul Trap Pokémon

Black: When it meditates, it is actually hunting for souls. Its shadow can extend up to 300 feet to ambush its victims.

White: Its human-shaped flower stores the souls of its victims. This allows it to contact the spirit world.

The thing that has dawned on me lately is that a human-shaped Pokémon is a pretty bad lure for Pokémon or their spirits. Wild Pokémon tend to be afraid of humans, after all. On the other hand, I wanted to avoid going in a direction like Deck Knight's, where it would "lure men" or some such. Hence, as much as this Pokémon tries to be a flytrap, it's just not realistic for it to behave like one literally. If it wants to hunt, it must do it a bit more actively. You could say this is a flytrap, but not a flytrap... a soul trap, maybe?

You can consider this a "down-to-earth" entry that treats Necturna as a plant using ghostly elements, rather than a spirit using plant elements in a vague way. Black is a bit longer than I would like, but putting a number to its "attack range" is appealing to me because it's the kind of thing a Pokédex entry might do. White is largely an inversion of Rising_Dusk's suggestion as well. Looking back, I think that this whole "mean CAP vs nice CAP" thing is not the way to go at all, and so I've just gone with the "this is a plant and it does cool things" route. I know some people might complain that my attempts are getting more "depressing" as time passes, but I wouldn't say that it's even all that morbid (zomg something eats something else!!??) and is certainly less so than most of the "mean CAP" submissions and even some of the "nice CAP" submissions.

This also plays into an easy extension of the lore if we ever decide to make pre-evos. I just had an off-hand idea that these Pokémon are used by spirit media (maybe they even plant them themselves) to help in contacting spirits or for ghostbusting :P However, I can only fit so much into a humble dex entry.

Alright, yeah, this is slowing down. I'll close this around noon tomorrow (my time!), so if you have any last minute submissions, get 'em in! Also, since this is a pure flavor part of the CAP, I'll probably submit my earlier idea for funsies.

Final Submission

Species: The Starlight Blossom Pokémon

Black: Its connection with the spirits grows stronger on in starlight, which leads to sightings of of it emerging from treetops at night.

White: As it occasionally performs divination in graveyards on starry nights, people have surmised that it feeds on souls.

Base this description kind of on the evening primrose, my favorite flower besides for the sakura. The evening primrose blooms only at night.

Since pokemon are supposed to be wildlife on some level, it would be fitting to make it not so supernatural and have a bit of natural charm. We often misunderstand the intentions of animals and their behaviour, and pokemon should be no different.

Imagine, if you would, a dark shadow wandering in cemeteries or emerging from treetops. You would jump out of your skin at its 3 pairs of dark glowing red eyes and run back to your mom's apartment. Then you would fabricate the story in all its grandeur about how you tangled and somehow escaped some hideously deformed ghoul out to not just spook you, but take your life.

But seriously, necturna is just out to star-synthesize and read the same stars for its divination hobby, which helps it in its miko duties. But the main point is that it's supposed to be shrouded in mystery. But there were alot of dark posts about it feeding on souls, so I just fed on that misconception alittle bit as well.

I put it as a blossom because it has simple elegance that way and the dress does look like an upturned flower, eventhough it's a jaw. Perhaps when the poke-cryptozoologists saw it doing sit-ups upside down, they mistook it for a flower?

Many pokedex entries are kind of farfetch'd but still a blast to read, so I think there should be a bit of flexibility. (lol garchomp fly mach 18...)

Final Submission
Necturna, the Forest Spirit Pokemon

Black:
The vine that rests on Necturna's head serves as a conduit between it and the spirit world. It has a mind of its own.

White:
Necturna will often embrace humans tenderly only to slowly devour them with their jaw-like bodies.
I had originally wanted to make Necturna the 'spirit siren' Pokemon, which lured Pokemon and people to their deaths in the forest via its song. Then I realized that Necturna learns neither Sing nor Perish Song, and so pursued other venues. I think it is important to make note in a dex entry that there is a strange vine on its head, and to also address its other physical notions. That's why the Black entry talks about the vine and the White about the lower body jaw on Necturna. This creates a healthy dichotomy of interesting factoids about the Pokemon without having one detract from the other like so many other entries posted thus far. Lastly, the simple English makes it easy on the eyes and mind, despite conveying a particularly gruesome fate for the unlucky humans that encounter it in the wild without defense. This is very common in dex entries, as can be seen on Cofagrigus and Chandelure, both BW Ghost-type Pokemon of similar demeanor.

And for the record, it's roughly noon my time and only one other post. Closing this and developing a slate. I'll probably auto-slate my own entry because, well, it's built in the fashion that I personally think CAP 2's flavor should be; I'll pick others that are similar to its style (and some that aren't if they're really good). Then, the people shall decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)