CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my monkey looked too much like monferno, here is my new submission.

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/tacosr2yummy/?action=view&current=CCI07262010_00001.jpg

Kind of poorly made but thats because I just wanted to get something in, I will improve it if it is generaly approved of.
Great design so far, the only flaw is that the torso looks way to much like Lucario's. But other than that, this design is really good, and you should finish, & submit it.

I really like games with interesting creature designs, so I thought it would be fun to try this project out.

The first, most obvious problem here is that the flame violates the rule that the creature cannot have any 'action' sequences, which is a pity, since it does add a bit to the picture. There are a few options I could take to fix this:

1 - I could claim that the flame is part of the creature in the same way that Charizard's flame is part of his tail. Then again, that's kind of hard to buy and would be unfair to everyone else.

2 - I could replace the flame with something else.

The reason why I added something like a 'flame' was because the stat distribution of the creature is specially inclined. The flame was originally a black razor shape, but it didn't fit the type of pokemon this is supposed to resemble.

I could use some suggestions as to what I should draw instead of a dark flame.

There are also some problems with the drawings that I would fix upon another post. This is also an area where I could use some advice:

1 - This creature is supposed to be blacked out almost completely so it resembles darkness, but as you can see, I only shaded it slightly here, making it look more like a steel type instead.

2 - The red spots are evil-looking eyes. There is one of them on the lower corner of its face. They're meant to look somewhat insectile (like a fly) as to give this creature a vile atmosphere. I'm not sure if it is obvious that those things are eyes though.

3 - The rectangular supports on the mannequin are supposed to be wood colored. I'll color them darker if I post this again.

4 - The energy shield is supposed to only have a red aura, since it would be more uniform with the rest of the body. Coloring over your mistakes doesn't work :pirate:.

All in all, the most significant factor is that I should probably shade the creature's body completely black in order to remove the depth perception that makes it look like a robot. This would also make the eyes look less like technological apparatus.

As far as the design goes, this is supposed to be a mannequin that knows nothing but how to kill. Well, something like that. The slim body represents the creature's speed, while the legs are adjusted to look like something with 90 base HP. The special based weapons, (including the illegal dark fire) are present because of the stat spread. I had fun with this. I should enter drawing contests more often.

EDIT: This picture doesn't seem to show up on Macs. In that case, I placed it in an album in my profile.

well, i think i'm getting close to a final submission now

the design looks exactly the way i think it should now.
As for volt absorb explanation, i think he does just fine without it. If i had to, i guess i'd say he can absorb the jolts into his red core and fire them back out of his headpiece.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Changed my submission to the neutral pose instead because I felt it look better. I removed the shadow too because that probably clashes with the rules of the submissions.

It's a little shabby because I only have MSpaint to work with but I can only hope I'll be home by the time the final submission is up.

SEO's probably has the best one so far accounting for effort and improvements, not to mention it looks just badass.

EDIT: DJD's new one is much better. Yay 9! And Yilx's design is great, just looks like something from Gen I, Hitmonchan style. Hark's Samurai seems the most Pokemon-like.

Final Submission

Main Design:

Supporting Material:

Inspiration:
This Pokemon is based off of Mawile. At first I had no idea what to do but I saw a picture of Girafarig and thought of Mawile. Then I tried to make a human shaped Mawile. I thought of Plusle and Minun during the battery idea.

Flavour:
This Pokemon is normally found in dark areas where they assault any Pokemon violating their territory. If one of their eyes opens the corresponding eye on its hand opens as well. Its tail bites enemies sneaking behind it.

Design and Other:
The eyes on its hands and its tail's mouth was supposed to create a much more fearsome face than the one on its head. The battery on its head was there to make volt absorb seem more realistic. The dots on its back is a part of its DNA that is on the surface on its back. I was originally planning on changing it a lot from the second picture, but I just decided to tweak it a little.
Additional Art:
Focus Blast:http://a.imageshack.us/img401/4724/focusblast.jpg
Crunch:http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9448/crunch.jpg
Dark Pulse:http://a.imageshack.us/img252/9929/darkpulse.jpg
I know I'm not the best artist but I quickly drew these to support my original art.

I've still got my eyes on Buffalo Wings' this CAP. I've already gone over everything I love about the design, and the 'backstory' for it only cements it in my mind. The link to electricity is great; it perhaps harnesses the energy it gets from absorbing lightning to perform its Dark moves, a la Gannondorf in SSBB.

Pkmn_Taicho, I really like the concept but feel like it could be pushed further in a couple of categories. The face in particular I feel is too close to the source material and I'm sort of put off by it. Human-like, or in this case 'Oni'-like features could be made more abstract with simpler shapes, easing its form into the Pokemon world. Its closest cousin could possibly be considered Shiftry, which has a streamlined facial appearance that only suggests, rather than outright presents the often more complex and contorted visage of a tengu. For another example, I believe Electabuzz is a thunder/mountain oni.

My other concern is with the tail which I find tangential as a concept. It feels unnecessary and I think if you focused the main design more, you wouldn't need it. If you would like to work on the whole and integrate the headtail, I think it would benefit from being made more distinct from Girafarig. As it is, though, I feel it's a detail from left field that only weakens the whole.

Man, I don't mean to pile the harshing if that's what this came off as because I do think it has the potential to be a cool design. I love the top heavy build and the massive hunch and feel like it just needs a bit of refining.

@Hark

I actually think the Samurai has one of the most believable Volt Absorb explanations - especially if you make his body dark smoke instead of a shadow (which I think would look cooler anyway, imo). Then he can be a thundercloud inhabiting a suit of armor! I don't know about you, but I think that is a really cool concept.

Plus, your design just straight up looks GOOD. It looks like a Pokemon. It looks like a specially based Fighting/Dark. You've certainly got my vote come poll time.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Oh why bother

FINAL SUBMISSION

Main Design

Supporting Artwork

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r7oyhh.jpg - Crouching
http://i31.tinypic.com/hsmm4l.jpg - Front view
http://i25.tinypic.com/2ymd07q.jpg - Defensive

Flavour, Design, etc.

(CAP11) is the lonely spirit of a forgotten Pokémon with nobility of mind and divine attributes. (CAP11) will appear only where there is strife or unrest, and will not leave that place until the conflict has been settled.

It is so fast, it is impossible to see while it is moving, so sightings of (CAP11) are restricted to seeing it in a sitting or crouching position. (CAP11) is only seen in this position by those with a troubled heart, while it is simply gazing calmly at those conflicts or individuals it tries to resolve.

Once a place is cleansed of its strife and anger, the peaceful land is sometimes colonized by TOGEKISS, who will only appear in a place without strife. For this reason, as well as the gifts shared by TOGEKISS with the population, (CAP11) is regarded as a sign of salvation by many, and the bond between (CAP11) and TOGEKISS is immensely strong.

A unique trait of (CAP11) is the ability to attract and absorb electrical energy, which it uses to heal itself and increase its energy and power. The spikes, on its arms and tail, act as lightning rods, which attract the electrical power. This power is sometimes seen as a nuisance, as (CAP11) can drain the power from electrical pylons and generators and cause severe blackouts in industrialised towns, increasing its reputation as the “Darkness Pokémon”, as old folk tales say that darkness follows (CAP11) wherever it treads.

Final Submission

Wynaut?

Main Design:

Supporting Material:

Flavor:

'Doomfist' is a mysterious Pokemon that can harness and control surrounding waveforms. These waveforms include Aura, Electricity, and Shadow Energy. It feeds on ambiant Electricity, so it will almost never lose a battle with an Electric type. It uses ambiant Aura and Shadow Energy, combined with its own power, to decimate its opponents. Research suggests that the only other species of Pokemon it doesn't want to mutilate is Togekiss. This has been atributed to the fact that Togekiss can also harness the power of Aura. For some odd reason, it doesn't do the same with Lucario.

Final Submission

Playing it safe this time after Sniponge failed to get into CAP10.

And and nobody has given criticism...

MAIN DESIGN:

Supporting Art:

Using Pursuit on Rotom-Oven (first design.) IT LITERALLY KICKS BUTT.
Using Aura Sphere on T-Tar for setting up sandstorm that bugs its friend Togekiss.
Capalope and its prevo, Jacotton.
First Design. Yep, this was the first piece of art in the entire thread.

Jackalope Pokemon.

It uses its antlers for defense/its abilities. It never uses them for fighting.

Its three tattoos-two on its wrists, and one on its forehead-grant it special-attacking power. It uses its lasso tail, spurred feet, and powerful legs for physical attacks.

I'll edit it if my computer stops making weird noises. I don't want to risk it overheating and baking all my work on Capalope.

-Torterra-Infernape-Feraligatr-

Hey guys.

This thread will be closed tomorrow morning. If you haven't already posted a Final Submission, do so today or your art submission will not make the poll.

So exciting. :)

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ooh, I hope tomorrow morning means after 10 AM. :O
I currently do not have internet access when I'm not at work in the office.

Final Submission

MAIN DESIGN:

Supporting Material:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/eyckzim/supportingmaterial1.png
[Side and back views for spriter reference]
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/eyckzim/supportingmaterial2.png
[CAP11 utilizing volt absorb against enemy Jolteon]

Flavor/Design:
CAP11 is a shadow samurai. The red orb at its core is its source of power and life. It can absorb energy (specifically electrical) with its core and convert it into chi to fuel its attacks. CAP11's entire body is made up of shadow, or pure darkness, and the armor is what gives it shape. The "mini core" in CAP11's headpiece allows it to sense attacks from any direction and evade them with its dazzling speed. Although CAP11 primarily calls on it's chi to use special attacks, it has been known to form weapons out of its shadowy body in order to attack physically.

aragornbird said:
Ooh, I hope tomorrow morning means after 10 AM. :O
Fuzznip wakes up around 1PM GMT-4, and he'll probably slack off until around 4PM GMT-4. You should have plenty of time before then to get a final submission up.

I've still got my eyes on Buffalo Wings' this CAP. I've already gone over everything I love about the design, and the 'backstory' for it only cements it in my mind. The link to electricity is great; it perhaps harnesses the energy it gets from absorbing lightning to perform its Dark moves, a la Gannondorf in SSBB.

Pkmn_Taicho, I really like the concept but feel like it could be pushed further in a couple of categories. The face in particular I feel is too close to the source material and I'm sort of put off by it. Human-like, or in this case 'Oni'-like features could be made more abstract with simpler shapes, easing its form into the Pokemon world. Its closest cousin could possibly be considered Shiftry, which has a streamlined facial appearance that only suggests, rather than outright presents the often more complex and contorted visage of a tengu. For another example, I believe Electabuzz is a thunder/mountain oni.

My other concern is with the tail which I find tangential as a concept. It feels unnecessary and I think if you focused the main design more, you wouldn't need it. If you would like to work on the whole and integrate the headtail, I think it would benefit from being made more distinct from Girafarig. As it is, though, I feel it's a detail from left field that only weakens the whole.

Man, I don't mean to pile the harshing if that's what this came off as because I do think it has the potential to be a cool design. I love the top heavy build and the massive hunch and feel like it just needs a bit of refining.
Yeah, unfortunately refining at this point isn't really possible. I have no tablet to draw with, though if you felt like taking matters into your own hands and co-operating on a last minute final submission I would be more than fine with that. However I have no means to make one myself.

Final Submission:

Flavour:

[NAME] is a solitary Pokémon that prefers to spend his time training in dark caves but it isn't entirely serious, acting goofy on occasion while in company of humans and other Pokémon. Though lanky in figure, this Pokémon's punches and kicks are accelerated so fast that they can reach a force of about 30,000 Newtons. Skilled in both the phyical and spiritual aspects of martial arts, this Pokémon is a harsh challenger on the battle field with its diamond-hard hooves. Some [NAME]s have also been observed to be able to absorb lightning through their horns during thunderstorms as a matter of self-preservation. It can use his long furry tail to absorb the impact of enemy attacks and reduce the damage to himself to a bare minimum.

Notes:

Design based on the pagan deity Baphomet (dark type), this is a simple bipedal goat that uses hard hooves to perform high powered punches and kicks (fighting type). Design is kind of simplistic to capture the spirit of Generation I Pokémon, who were mostly based on animals with slight modification, which could also be used to describe my concept.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submisssion

Main Design

EDIT: Clownmon can absorb electricity through his nose.
Yeah, I already notice that CAP11 had Volt Absorb now. I'm not gonna change my design for the flavor u_uU, changing the design would force the central idea of my clown.

Final Submission

Final Submission:

Main Design

Volt Absorb certainly was a SHOCK but I think it SPARKed my creativity rather than forcing me to BOLT. Anyways, streamlined the wrestler to within an inch of his life, and threw some giant lightning rods on his back rather than the spikes. I'll explain away his penchant for voltage as "he just really enjoys electrified cage matches". Something like that. Not.. entirely certain where he'd come across an electrified cage in the wild but.. uhhhh.. hey look over there.

Supporting Material

I'm hoping the supporting material will make him appear move viable as a special attacker, because his design doesn't immediately imply it.

I'd love to go through the thread and point out all my favorite designs, but its getting late(here.) and I've got work in the morning. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE THING.

Paras, awesome work, I think he actually looks a lot more pokemon-like now.

It's gonna be a tough call between your's and Buffalo Wing's for me.

Yilx or Doug has my vote. Its a difficult decision, I was amazed to see how well the Smogonites handled this weird typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)