CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ doran: your sprite don't have black outlines,who are always used in every pokèmon sprite.
for the eyes,if you see the other people sprite (my also) you see who all have black pupil and a little white highlight,like the original art.

Male Normal
Male Shiny
Female Normal
Female Shiny
Male Back
Male Back Shiny
Female Back
Female Back Shiny

That better?
Much better. One more tweek and I think you're set. darken the bottom ridges of the shell sections (back sprites). Also I'm not quite sure the antenna glow is legal, so just make sure it's outlined.

Doran, the eyes help SO much. You should be okay with the glow - I think? Maybe ask the TL bout that. Your front sprites are definitely my favourite so far

ok, well I'm close to my final submission

I'd be awesome if someone could do anothe compilation of all the sprites there are right now...

thanks for all your help guys! ^_^ people at marriland forums cant help me with improving my abilities, but you guys sure have ^_^

Hrmm.

Haven't posted in a bit, but I've still been working on the sprites. I've been trying to go as fast as I can, because I'm getting more worried about how much time we have to finish. I'm not familiar with how the transition goes, since I haven't done this before, but I hope we'll get some sort of warning.

Right, so!

That's what I have at the moment. Been playing with the backsprite, mostly, but I've been playing with the frontsprite a little bit, too. And it's got me thinking, now- how much more should I change, if at all? It looked totally fine before, but I think playing with it (mostly, in this case, trying to make it look more like the original art) actually made it look not as good. Dunno. Was trying all sorts of stuff with the palette (trying to find a red that would look good), antenna, etc.

That's the new one on the left, and the last one I posted on the right.

The backsprite's still been the hardest thing for me to do, though. I think the lineart looks okay at this point, but still figuring out how I should color the lines to make it more authentic. And the shading, too, a bit. It was actually shaded a lot more, but I looked at some official backsprites and realized I should cut down a bit.

I'm getting there, but I've got a lot of uncertainties. Hopefully I can make it all work somehow!

...So, yeah!

That's the new one on the left, and the last one I posted on the right.
I like them both quite a lot.
You're in a really good place here, IMO.

The one on the left makes the bottom two legs look more like... well, legs, Though, it still looks like it is in an attacking pose. It's quite nice and looks kind of "acrobatic". It kind of reminds me of this or this, personally, which is really neat.
The one on the right looks quite a lot more dynamic, though. While still looking like legs, it looks a bit more like it's rearing up to strike, and also gives you this really cool mental image that it's bottom two legs can also double as a second pair of arms when it's not standing on them- I.E. it's versatile. They're in a great spot.

I really like them both. It's hard to choose.
Probably moreso a personal preference.

...Gender difference?

I like them both quite a lot.
You're in a really good place here, IMO.

The one on the left makes the bottom two legs look more like... well, legs, Though, it still looks like it is in an attacking pose. It's quite nice and looks kind of "acrobatic". It kind of reminds me of this or this, personally, which is really neat.
The one on the right looks quite a lot more dynamic, though. While still looking like legs, it looks a bit more like it's rearing up to strike, and also gives you this really cool mental image that it's bottom two legs can also double as a second pair of arms when it's not standing on them- I.E. it's versatile. They're in a great spot.

I really like them both. It's hard to choose.
Probably moreso a personal preference.

...Gender difference?
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like how they're coming along.

Never thought about it all that much, but I definitely see what you mean. I'm probably going to have to do a bit more thinking to see which of the two limb positions I like best. And as a gender difference...huh. I can see that pretty well, actually! Fantastic idea.

Right, so!

Current backsprite:

It's still got things to be ironed out, but I'm definitely starting to like it. Shading could still be improved and such, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Yeah, definitely getting down to the line. There's so much more I'd like to do, of course, but I'm getting shorter on time. Particularly, I'm on the fence about the coloring I'm using. The art is pretty obviously not orange, but I'm still trying to figure out a red that would look good on him. We'll see, I guess.

I'll do my best! So, yeah!

final submission

here is my entry.
Could someone tell me if I broke any rule? I can't find one, but might misread...​

Hope you like it :)​

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am posting the movepool poll today. There should be a couple of subsequent polls that will each last a day. Once the movepool has been selected, I will almost definitely be posting the sprite poll. I'm doing this to give you more time.

There are five movepool submissions, and so you should have somewhere between two and four days to post a final submission. Get to it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like how they're coming along.

Never thought about it all that much, but I definitely see what you mean. I'm probably going to have to do a bit more thinking to see which of the two limb positions I like best. And as a gender difference...huh. I can see that pretty well, actually! Fantastic idea.

Right, so!

Current backsprite:

It's still got things to be ironed out, but I'm definitely starting to like it. Shading could still be improved and such, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Yeah, definitely getting down to the line. There's so much more I'd like to do, of course, but I'm getting shorter on time. Particularly, I'm on the fence about the coloring I'm using. The art is pretty obviously not orange, but I'm still trying to figure out a red that would look good on him. We'll see, I guess.

I'll do my best! So, yeah!
The head looks shorter and more like a ball than it should, and the lines on its back don't look right, but the eyes, antenna's , and claws are pretty good. (Your newest front sprite looks great)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
final submission

here is my entry.
Could someone tell me if I broke any rule? I can't find one, but might misread...​

Hope you like it :)​
Perfect, it looks complete now. Glad you saw my suggestion before my post got deleted.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

This will be my final submission for Krilowatt. I ultimately decided to use different eyes based on gender, and went with the cyan shiny coloring. Although my sprite designs have been edited quite a bit during the process, I'm happy with how they turned out. I wanted Krilowatt to look small and cute, but still have enough complexity and punch to look fully evolved. That's a hard line to walk, but I think I got there. I appreciate all the feedback and help from others during this thread; I think my sprites are much improved because of it. This has been a fun spriting project, and I look forward to seeing who wins!

Final Submission

As an aside, I don't think deleting my last post was warranted. I saw that the thread was locked, so I thought the poll was over or very close to finishing. I was going to edit my final submission into the post as well. My apologies if it sounded like I was being arrogant or something.

Right, so!

I've kind of rushed to get this done, but I'm quite happy with the result. So, right. Here it is:

Final Submission

I might edit this later, but I'll just edit the post if I do. I'm not sure how much longer we have, though, so maybe not. Still definitely looking at the shiny colors. They're a bit dark at the moment.

EDIT: Lightened the colors. May or may not make minor edits, but I'm pretty much done.

EDIT 2: Totally overhauled the colors. I like this a lot more, actually. (so much for a final submission though)

EDIT 3: Okay, now this is just getting silly. I liked the orange color so much, I had to include it somewhere- so I put it in as another gender difference. And then the shiny color had to change, too. Thus! Four varieties of shrimp in one convenient package! This is outrageous!

EDIT 4: Still tweaking minor things. Finally changed the antenna size- didn't think it'd look as good as it does. Lightened colors, fixed minor shading issues, etc. So, this is my final final final final final submission. For real this time! (probably not)

Anywho, this has been a fun project for me. And, I'm sure, for everyone who participated. I didn't mean to enter, but I'm glad I did, and I think everyone did a fantastic job! Best of luck to everyone!

Doug, in all of the CAPs that I have taken part in, I always thought your designs and sprites were very good but not the best in the thread. Today, the trend is broken - I believe that your sprites are winning material. The colours and shades are contrasting enough (I was always worried with the shrimp design that it might be hard to get a clear contrast between bright pink and bright yellow), the pose is nice and simple (I don't consider Krilowatt to be a particularly badass creature with some really peculiar battle pose) and what I particularly like about your sprite is the very obscure gender difference. As far as I can recall, all of the previous CAPs have had rather obvious gender differences and I don't particularly see why that's necessary, so I'm glad to see that some people have made theirs more subtle. All in all though, I think your sprites have got it all.

Still, I'm not about to claim that your sprites are definitely going to win, especially considering the quality of pretty much all of the submissions in this thread. There are those that I am not so keen on and those that I quite like, and I doubt that everyone's gonna share my views, so only time can tell.

Just a general question. Are the female sprites on the left or right side? Because, according to Doug's artwork, the angry eyes are on the right sprite instead of the left. I'm just wondering if that was the intention or if it was a small mistake.

Oh, and by the way, I'm voting Doug's.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Doug, in all of the CAPs that I have taken part in, I always thought your designs and sprites were very good but not the best in the thread. Today, the trend is broken - I believe that your sprites are winning material.
Nah, dude, all of these are pretty good this time around. Just take a look at the final submissions on this page alone. I like Doug's simplistic approach, but there's something to be said for a dynamic pose that just makes the Pokemon look like they're ready to kick ass. Probably just me, though.

Tbh, I can't even really pick a favorite right now. This is anybody's game.

Just a general question. Are the female sprites on the left or right side? Because, according to Doug's artwork, the angry eyes are on the right sprite instead of the left. I'm just wondering if that was the intention or if it was a small mistake.
Generally, it's posted as either:

Male, Female, MaleShiny, FemaleShiny
Or...
Male, MaleShiny, Female, FemaleShiny.

Usually the first one, though. That's how it's done on the website, at least (scroll down).
Though, anyway, yes. Females are usually after Males.
In Doug's case, the females have angrier eyes. That was intentional.

...*Stares at his own not-yet-submitted sprite*
If this is still open tomorrow when I get home from school...
I guess I'll make the finishing touches on my backsprite and enter it.
For the sake of not having all that work been a waste, and such.
Not going to bother getting crit on the backsprite and all.
I'll just use my own judgement.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The last movepool poll has been posted. You have approximately 24 hours to sort out your final submissions if you have not done so already.

Final Submission

Final Submission

-- Male ----- Female - Male Shiny - Female Shiny

(Note: If you see white, non-transparent backgrounds- pelase notify me.
There was an error with uploading it, though I think I fixed it.)

Well, got them done. My backsprite seems weird to me. Maybe. I think.
Probably because I didn't get any crit on it. Eh. *Shrugs*
Went with the oh so popular heart-tail gender difference.
And exclusively that; so, the different gendered backsprites are exactly the same.
Regardless, I uploaded separate images for them anyway. But, yeah, there's no difference.

Again, my concept for the sprites was always supposed to be "The alternative".
Just in case anyone liked the look better. So, not expecting much.
Well, lets see how I do. =x

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You have extremely little time to get your final submissions in until Beej posts the sprite poll, since the final competitive poll is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)