CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what that is even supposed to represent without having to dig up your post and seeing that it's shitty slang with a random letter thrown in. There is no "watt" in there, there is "what".
The "what" was the bigger emphasis.

How about I edit it to "Whaatt" (even though I know you will disapprove of it anyway) and see what happens?

EDIT: And yes, there's precedent in Pokemon for using internet stuff. Maybe not in Pokemon names, but still.

I have two questions:

- Is it too late to change my final submission? If so, I'm totally okay with the name, but if not...

- Should I add an extra "L" in the name to make Krillowatt? I didn't know my name would be too popular. I thought a lot of people would get to it before me.
One L, Two Ts. No doubt.
FINAL SUBMISSION

Watter

Watt+Water ... GET IT?
please don't hurt me
I'm reminded of British expletives. "Sod off, you groddy little watter!"

- Should I add an extra "L" in the name to make Krillowatt? I didn't know my name would be too popular. I thought a lot of people would get to it before me.
Contrary to the previous few responses, I think double L works better than single L because a single L makes the "krill" reference less obvious, which imo is bad because, like I said earlier, the connection between a pokemon and its name should be obvious.

Final Submission

Brinegate
A combination of "Brine Shrimp" and "Negate" or "Negative". Considering CAP10 is a shrimp-like water-electric pokemon used to counter many common threats (but only one per set) and it has magic guard, the term Negate works well, as a thing that has been negated no longer has existence or use.

Negative works well as well considering CAP10 is electric-based, and electrons are negatively charged and strongly relate to electricity. Brine is a given, considering there is such an animal as the Brine Shrimp, and Negate + Shrimp wouldn't flow well. Considering CAP10 does not look like a brine shrimp, many people have heard of brine shrimp before and as such could understand what the Brine part meant. Brine also refers to salt water, and CAP10 is a water-type pokemon, which is safer but less specific.
Either pronunciation of my submission is sharp, and yet, it rolls off the tongue. Brine ends in -ne, Negate and Negative start with ne-. I don't mind the sharpness as the shrimp has a sharp skeleton and sharp limbs.

Hadilate
It's a combination of hadal, which is the deepest part of an ocean, and the ending of illuminate. It's a welcome departure from all of the bad shrimp puns.

Final Submission:

Scampizz

Its a combination of scampi (italian for shrimp) and pizz (what i think the sound a live wire makes). I just think its sounds awesome.

Final Submission

Crusta (Latin for shell) + Castellum (Latin for fortress)

Crustillum
("Cruh" - "Still" - "Uhm")

Quite literally meaning "Shell Fortress."
CAP 10 is meant to be a defensive that can counter any threat, much like a fortress.
Luckily, the two latin terms together make a nice little reference to Illumination by changing the E to an I.

"I nominate Crustillum under the defensive suspect category because it OHKO's my mence with Ice Beam and I don't like it. D:<"

Contrary to the previous few responses, I think double L works better than single L because a single L makes the "krill" reference less obvious, which imo is bad because, like I said earlier, the connection between a pokemon and its name should be obvious.
That is in fact the only reason to think two L's should be in the name. But, if I can't change it in the first place, that's too bad. ;)

Though, the reason I believe it should have only one L's, contrary to your statement, because the name will naturally flow with "krill" being the way to say the first syllable. The spelling is one thing, but sounding it out means another. Either way, "krill" is still noticed in pronunciation and writing, just less dominant in writing.

For double L:
Makes a better reference to "krill" in writing.
Full 10 letters in little Pokemon's name.

For single L:.
Shorter name
Better reference to kilowatt.
Reading won't be a pain to see multiple double-letters.

I don't mind anymore. I'm keeping single L. Not because of your claim, Objection, because it's true. But because I like it better. :)

And while I'm on the topic of sounding a Pokemon, it would be nice for a Pokemon's name to flow. Whaiatt doesn't flow unless it's pronounced like the name Wyatt, for example. Pronunciation is important too.

Banryu, I really don't get what the issue is with having a food based name. It fits with the ironic stat build - our little shrimp may look like a pushover that's going to get "eaten alive" by monsters like Salamence and Tyranitar, but if you underestimate him you'll be surprised.

Though I don't have any predisposition against names based on scientific terms or foreign translations, none of these have really jumped out at me (with the notable exceptions of Doug's Ebion and Deck Knight's Prawnto, which I both like). They just don't flow well, and I go on Wikipedia too much for school anyway. :nerd:

My favorite right now is probably Scampy/Scampi. It references both shrimp and electricity without sounding forced. It also brings similar words to mind, like "scamper" (which reflects CAP 10's great speed) and "scamp" (a term for someone that causes mischief, which is exactly what I see this dear old decapod doing). I'll probably end up voting for my own submission of Gumbolt (page 2), but only because I'm too stubborn to know when I've been beaten.

Edit: LOL at Bug Maniac Marc's post. What about...um...Quisque? Actually, never mind.

My favorite so far is Deck Knight's Prawnto, which was actually the very first name suggested. The pun isn't forced, it rolls off the tongue, and it makes me think of something fast and efficient that you can call on at any time, which sort of characterizes this thing. It actually sort of reminds of Pyroak, one of the better CAP names imo, in its simplicity and how natural it sounds.

That is in fact the only reason to think two L's should be in the name. But, if I can't change it in the first place, that's too bad. ;)

Though, the reason I believe it should have only one L's, contrary to your statement, because the name will naturally flow with "krill" being the way to say the first syllable. The spelling is one thing, but sounding it out means another. Either way, "krill" is still noticed in pronunciation and writing, just less dominant in writing.

For double L:
Makes a better reference to "krill" in writing.
Full 10 letters in little Pokemon's name.

For single L:.
Shorter name
Better reference to kilowatt.
Reading won't be a pain to see multiple double-letters.

I don't mind anymore. I'm keeping single L. Not because of your claim, Objection, because it's true. But because I like it better. :)

And while I'm on the topic of sounding a Pokemon, it would be nice for a Pokemon's name to flow. Whaiatt doesn't flow unless it's pronounced like the name Wyatt, for example. Pronunciation is important too.
I would definitely suggest two L's, as a single L risks "krilo" being mispronounced like "silo". Two L's guarantees correct pronunciation. :)

I would definitely suggest two L's, as a single L risks "krilo" being mispronounced like "silo". Two L's guarantees correct pronunciation. :)
Ok, just a thought though. If you were to see Krilowatt on a Pokemon, and never saw it before, would you think it's Krill oh watt or Cry low watt? I'll risk having a single L. ;)

gamer - I like the spelling as "Krilowatt". With an extra 'l' it is almost too "in-your-face" with the pun.

Final submission

Kramp

(Krill+Amp, really obvious actually, but I like the pokemon's names short and simple.)

PS: I was going to suggest Shrimpilicious, but I thought it was just too retarded, even for me o-o...

RODAN

Banned deucer.
ok

so I have thought LONG and HARD to decide on a name

so I decided to select
velivolt (swahili for shrimp+volt)

I hope I win!!!

Final Submission

Prawnder

Not exactly imaginative, but hey. A simple combination of Prawn (The CAP itself) and Thunder (Representing it's electric typing. Thunder also comes from storm clouds which are, of course, composed of water).

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Final submission

Kramp

(Krill+Amp, really obvious actually, but I like the pokemon's names short and simple.)

PS: I was going to suggest Shrimpilicious, but I thought it was just too retarded, even for me o-o...
HEY! THATS MINE!

Final Submission

Kramp
Krill+Amp

It would be awesome because someone in the pokemon universe would be swimming at the beach with his mate and he'd be like:

"Oh shit, Kramp!"
".... Muscle or Pokemon?"
"Muscle, you idiot! OW! OW!"
"Oh, ok"

People are always gettin cramps while swimming =P

HEY! THATS MINE!
....ah... I wouldn't sweat it if I were you, it's not like that that name's gonna make it past the first round of voting, if it even gets into that round.... :\ 'Kramp'? Seriously?

But that DOES bring up a good point, it should be a rule to read through the thread and make sure that the name you're posting as your final submission hasn't already been done.

-EDIT- This also brings up a question of mine. Are ALL the Final Submissions in this thread gonna be used in the name selection process, or will there be some sort of filter on the part of Beej and/or the other CAP mods?

OK, and here are my ideas. We'll start simple

Amprawn -- Obviously, Ampere + Prawn

I'm not a big fan of simple pormanteau like this, but they seem popular.

Gauscean -- Gauss + Crustacean/Ocean Reminiscent of "Gaussian"

Gauss is pretty big in electricity and magnetism, and Gaussians are very important in signal processing. The relevance of Crustacean should be abundantly clear.

Poisson -- French for fish and an important figure in E+M (The equation for the electric potential from the charges is a form of Poisson's equation)
Rio-Savart -- Rio (Spanish for River) + Biot-Savart (a law that shows how currents create magnetic fields)

These don't fit quite as well, but I felt like posting them because I rather like the wordplay in them.

So, of these, my favorite is Gauscean, but I suspect Amprawn will be more popular.
Since each user is only allowed one submission, and I assume you're going with Gauscean, I'll submit Amprawn, but only because I came up with this in class one day but was rather slow getting to the forum in time for this thread. So good job with beating me to the punch!

Final Submission

I really like Overkrill and Jumbolt. They really portray to me what I imagine this poke to be--A shrimp the size of a bus.

While I'm at it, I'll post my own:

Krillemall :D

Play on "Kill 'em all", referring ambiguously to being able to counter anything (just not at the same time... we hope)

EDIT: I also like 'Krilowatt' for the same reason, whichever way it ends up being spelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)