CAP 10 CAP 10 - Main Typing Poll

What should be CAP 10's primary typing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that people saying "we can learn from Electric" are neglecting the fact that Rotom-A is a very strong bulky electric type that already teaches us how a bulky Electric type specified to counter certain Pokemon (Gyarados etc.) can function in a metagame. There also several bulky waters and steels that run amok in OU, so we know how those function as well.

However, the Fighting type actually has very little say in bulky sets in OU. Machamp has reasonable bulk, but is not commonly seen utilizing its bulk, and is more likely to be running an offensive set. The same goes for Heracross (who has a RestTalk set in the analysis) in OU as well. Really, the first bulky fighter that utilizes bulky sets that comes to my mind is Hariyama, who is a UU Pokemon and isn't seen so much in OU. I feel that attempting to create a bulky Fighting type that will mainly utilize bulky sets will help us understand quite a bit more about the metagame, especially if we can specify it to counter specific Pokemon under given conditions. Arghonaut and Revenankh didn't teach us that at all, since Arghonaut was created to counter the top sweepers of OU all at the same time, not on different conditions, while Revenankh was created to be a great Bulk Up sweeper.

In the discussion, it has also been mentioned several times how much a balanced set with diversity would like to be used. The Fighting type has the greatest movepool diversity out of any given type in the current polls, with the ability to strike with Ground moves (Earthquake primarily), Rock Moves (Stone Edge, Rock Slide, etc.), the elemental punches, Dark-type moves to slam ghosts with, etc. Off the bat, we can utilize the movepool diversity of the Fighting type to have a clear direction as to where CAP10 is going.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the discussion, it has also been mentioned several times how much a balanced set with diversity would like to be used. The Fighting type has the greatest movepool diversity out of any given type in the current polls, with the ability to strike with Ground moves (Earthquake primarily), Rock Moves (Stone Edge, Rock Slide, etc.), the elemental punches, Dark-type moves to slam ghosts with, etc. Off the bat, we can utilize the movepool diversity of the Fighting type to have a clear direction as to where CAP10 is going.
Just because a Pokemon is a Fighting-type does not mean it will get the elemental punches, Rock-type, Dark-type or Ground-type moves. It should also be noted that with CAP, if a Pokemon needs a move for it to be effective, it will get it. If it is chosen to have Electric-type as its main typing, it can still get the elemental punches, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Payback, etc. if it needs them. Using "voted for <type> because these types generally get these type of moves" is not a very good reason for voting for that type.

Since I'm posting, I will say I voted for Electric. It resists one of the most common revenge moves (Bullet Punch) in OU and also one of the most annoying moves, imo, in OU (Jirachi's Iron Head). It also has only one weakness which is rather easily delt with from my experience. Electric-type also has quite a few interesting combinations with other types, many of which haven't be explored yet.

Shock Trooper said:
I feel that people saying "we can learn from Electric" are neglecting the fact that Rotom-A is a very strong bulky electric type that already teaches us how a bulky Electric type specified to counter certain Pokemon (Gyarados etc.) can function in a metagame. There also several bulky waters and steels that run amok in OU, so we know how those function as well.
Zapdos is a better example of what an electric utility counter can do, as it already is EV'd in specific ways to beat different types of threats. This concept is not just to create something that is bulky, it is to create something that can be tech'd in specific ways to defeat specific clusters of threats. In light of that, Electric is not a bad option, though I feel that Steel is better if you're looking for resistances and Water is superior if you're looking for neutralities.

My vote goes to WATER. It has good all around resists and a good stab giving us a solid first type for our CAP10. Ill leave it at that since it has been discussed before in another thread.

Fighting is a great choice imo. weaknesses only to two rare types, it also has useful resistances to rock, dark and bug moves. A second and unexplored typing to add some resistances could be interesting; Flying / Fighting is a great combo to counter tings like SD lucario and Tyrannitar, Fighting / Electric (my second choice) to counter Gyara and Fighting / Dark to counter Gengar, Rotom and friends.

And the list goes on...

BUT Electric is also a great choice with good resistances (although the ground weakness is rather off-putting) and great neutral coverage. Like DracoYoshi said, a lot of unexplored type combinations would work great. Electric / Grass-Bug would be cool.

I voted Fighting, though in retrospect I believe Electric would have been the better typing.

For one thing, Electric gives us a decent starting point to build the CAP on. Few things that don't already run Ground will do so with this guy. It also gives us a clear idea of the road ahead with the Pokemon.

In addition, Electric gives us the opportunity to explore many unheard-of type combinations that could work for a Utility counter, since it does not pair well with anything but Water, Dragon, and Ice offensively, which would force it to rely on coverage moves for utility countering. Dragon makes this too similar to Cyclohm and gives it two major weaknesses to add to its ground weakness, Ice has poor defensive synergy with Electric and the SR weakness would be crippling to ANYTHING with the goal of being a counter, leaving only Water as a viable offensive type combo which we will likely learn something from for CAP10. But we also have interesting stuff like Grass/Electric to use that force it to rely on non-STAB for its counter-ings (thus reducing the number of Pokemon it can counter at once, since Grass/Electric really only work if your team REALLY hates Bulky waters, while it GETS a ground neutral and retains its Steel resistance. Because if you run double STAB you probably have the goal of hard countering Bulky Waters and Gyra, you are essentially using CAP10 as a utility counter to bulky waters, making the STAB fit the end goal.)

Don't people realize that choosing water means that every CAP 10 will run:

Water Stab
Recovery

and 2 of
electric, grass, ice, or secondary stab

?

We will not get the versatility we want with this typing. We need to choose something with bad stab or this will become a big failure of a cap. It sucks that Normal, the best type for the job, died because people aren't creative enough to choose the correct type not the best type.
uh? that doesnt mean a thing. the goal of this CAP is to be able to take on a large variety of pokemon, but not all at once. what this really means is that every CAP 10's moveset and EV spread should be tailored to deal with a certain threat or group of threats. if water STAB helps it accomplish this (which it does - the wide neutral coverage allows CAP10 to check many things in combination with a coverage move) then let it be. this is not about having a versatile pokemon through crippling it offensively.

Voted Water

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well it looks like Steel's out of the running, which is whatever. I was disappointed that most arguments against it were based on worthless overspeculation (Bronzong 2.0) or simply against the type in general. I get the impression that there will never be another Steel-type CAP, regardless of concept, based on the arguments here, since few of them mentioned the concept and chose to focus on only Steel's three completely insurmountable, unacceptable, super-insta-death uber weaknesses. It's in the past, though. No grudges here.

That being said, I'll shift my support over to Electric (I still voted for Steel in the poll, though). Electric is a solid choice and best reflects the community's clear support for a "limited weaknesses" typing, leaving us with plenty of options moving forward, which is most important.

Fighting : have much useful things:
-two only weakness.
-resistance at SR and Pursuit (easy switch)
-usually have a large movepool (elemental punch,etc...)

but also Electric looks good.an electric/fighting sounds interesting...

I voted Fighting as well. It seems to have a solid foundation that, while not perfect, gives CAP10 plenty of room to work with--regardless of whether or not we pick a secondary type. I think it's fairly likely (though by no means certain) that a second type will be chosen; I would be interested in seeing a Fighting/Electric 'mon. At the same time, though, I'd be satisfied with either type alone as well (since it seems Electric has maintained its lead rather well).

I vote for the type Fighting because it has only 2 weaknesses, resistance to Stealth Rocks and only to weaknesses which are uncommon attacking types.

I voted Electric, because defensively, it pairs well with a wide variety of types (Electric + Poison + Levitate = 8 resistances, 1 weakness ftw).

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This poll has been open for more than 24 hours. Electric and Fighting will be moving on, as the two types have garnered a considerable majority of the votes. The next poll will be open soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)