Can't I Do Anything But Offense? (OU)

Some changes have been made.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2081991&postcount=11

Hey RMTers. This is my third RMT here and once again I come here looking for help. This is for shoddy/wifi use. I’m a high-speed, offensive kind of player when it comes to battling. Stall bores the crap out of me. Gimmicks aren’t my thing. I keep things simple. I like to hit hard, hit fast, and utilize predictions to break walls.

Credit for all pictures to arkeis.com's Pokemon Factory

The Pokemon

Metagross@Occa Berry (Lead)
Adamant
252 HP/252 Attack/6 Speed. (Perhaps I should tweak this, but I’m not sure how)
Clear Body
~Earthquake
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Explosion
If anything, this is an anti-lead Metagross. Let me explain why I use this. I’ve used a standard LeadGross extensively for the past two months (Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash/Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Explosion). It was a decent way to get SR up, but it was easily walled. If I ran Meteor Mash on the old set, I could handle Azelf/Aerodactyl/etc. but LeadApe, LeadTran, and other steel resist leads would laugh at me. If I ran Earthquake, the suicide leads mentioned before would take a crap all over Metagross. There had to be an answer, but what? Then I got a “radical” new idea. NO STEALTH ROCK FIRST TURN! Such an alien idea had never come up in my mind before. I had always used Stealth Rock on my leads. Offensively, I had options, as I was able to do a number on most of the common leads, especially the ones mentioned before. However, Ninjask sometimes gives issue, depending on how it uses Substitute, but it’s not too big a deal. This Metagross can dispose of many common leads, retreat, and then return to the field to lay down a hit or explode. The one thing I worry about on this Metagross is its EV spread. I wanted to hit hard, and speed didn’t matter, so I went with a simple EV spread designed to throw bulk in via HP. However, if someone knows a better way to maximize defensive potential, please tell me!

Bronzong@Leftovers
Sassy
252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD (It’s standard because it works, k?)
Levitate (Heatproof is for suckers)
~Earthquake
~Gyro Ball
~Stealth Rock
~Hypnosis
I love Bronzong. It has saved my ass several times recently, and many more times over the course I’ve used this. This is where my awesome and 100 percent completely original idea of not using Stealth Rock on a lead comes in. When I feel the need, Zong comes in, sets up the rocks, puts something to sleep, and then switch to something that can deal damage in most situations, usually Starmie or Infernape. My team has three, count `em, three ground weaknesses, so this guy usually has some opening to enter the fight and do his job. Gyro Ball is an excellent move for hitting speedier Pokemon, and is excellent if I manage to pin speedier things like Latias down without a switch in. Earthquake is used most often on things like Heatran, but attacking is not Bronzong’s strong suit.

Starmie@Expert Belt
Timid
252 Speed/252 Sp. Attack/ 6 HP
Natural Cure (sleep/T-wave absorber in a pinch. A really bad pinch, but a pinch)
~Thunderbolt
~Hydro Pump
~Recover
~Ice Beam
Starmie’s best asset is its speed, and this Starmie does a good job of revenging things like Salamence and weakened Latias. When in doubt, fire off Hydro Pumps. A STAB base power 120 attack that sometimes is backed up by Expert Belt deals nice damage to anything that doesn’t resist, but Starmie doesn’t enjoy running into the pink fatass named Blissey (and even less into Snorlax, but he isn’t as common). If I can nail Scizor on the switch in, I have a chance to knock him out with Hydro Pump. If not , Starmie is going to feel the pain, which is partially why Bronzong and Metagross work well enough with it. Infernape can also cover this weakness to a degree. Starmie also fears Tyranitar, specifically CBTar. In this case, it’s going to Pursuit me more often than not. Damned if you switch, damned if you don’t, so I usually just opt to open fire on Tyranitar.

Salamence@Life Orb
Rash (Big middle finger to Scizor’s Bullet Punch)
Intimidate
84 Atk / 216 SpA / 208 Spe (Originality =/= success)
~Outrage
~Draco Meteor
~Flamethrower (Accuracy>Power in this case)
~Brick Break

“General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”
Ronald Reagan, June 12, 1987

Salamence in on a mission as epic as the struggle between capitalism vs. communism. His mission is to tear down the walls that stop offensive teams like mine. As anyone knows, dragons are only resisted by steels, so blindly Draco Meteoring is often a safe option. Outrage is namely for screwing over the whore whose name is Blissey. Brick Break gets the nod over Earthquake because of Starmie’s Tyranitar weakness, at the sacrifice of hitting Heatran as hard. Flamethrower is to stop the bitch who is named Scizor because Salamence can take a CB Bullet Punch after SR damage and live after Life Orb recoil if it has taken no other damage. If it has taken LO recoil, it will die after killing Scizor, which is generally a successful mission. Salamence generally gets to have fun with his immunity to ground types combined with the weakness to ground of Infernape, Metagross, and Lucario.

Infernape@Life Orb
Naïve
Blaze
64 Atk/252 SpA/192 Speed (Perhaps a new EV spread is in order, but this works more often than not)

~Flamethrower
~Grass Knot
~HP Ice
~Close Combat

Salamence’s brother in arms. Infernape is a wall breaker and part time sweeper. While he doesn’t have as much dedicated power as Lucario, his Close Combat’s screw Blissey’s and Porygon2’s. His HP Ice stops Salamence so long as I don’t have the misfortune to run into Scarf variants. STAB Flamethrowers are always nice as well, usually because they can finish off weakened Rotom Forms. Grass Knot is lethal to any Swamperts, as well as Hippowdon provided it has taken slight damage beforehand. I wish I could write up a better description, but this guy is the icon of my philosophy, which is to attack, attack, attack!

Lucario@Life Orb (More cowbell… er… LO!)
Adamant (Perhaps Jolly?)
Inner Focus (although when I ran Steadfast, that worked too)
252 Atk/252 Speed/ 6 HP (Kill or be killed)
~Extremespeed
~Crunch
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat

“Finished here, Greeting Death!
He's yours to take away!”
Lyrics off of Disposable Heroes (Master of Puppets, Metallica)

Hopefully this guy isn’t coming out until there’s only one or two pokemon on the opposing side of the field. If he is, usually we’re in good shape. If not, something bad probably happened to Infernape. Sometimes, he likes to come out early if enemy Vaporeon have just killed something, allowing me to Swords Dance and Close Combat, and then proceed to rape with Close Combat or Extreme Speed. In my eyes, this is the most lethal late game sweeper in the metagame. He can keep Latias down so long as he gets a Swords Dance up. He can Crunch slower ghosts or Rotoms that are unfortunate enough to not be able to KO Lucario. Salamences weakened to the 65% mark can be eliminated. Jolteon and Infernape get whacked by Extremespeed. Bronzong, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and friends don’t like to handle Swords Dance’d Close Combats. In a pinch, he plays what used to be Scizor’s role of revenge killing, but only if I have knowledge of the rest of his team and deem him unnecessary for the late game.

Threat List
Note: An offensive team doesn’t necessarily counter these threats. You have to manipulate your situations with prediction so you don’t get put in holes like this. Any good offensive user will tell you that simple rock-paper-scissors type counters will get you nowhere.
Azelf: As a lead, Azelf is stopped cold by Metagross. As a sweeper, Bronzong can barely handle it. The sweeper version absolutely MUST be weakened if Lucario wishes to Extremespeed it. The sweeper gives problems, but this is where I thank Blissey for hampering its usage.

Breloom: Breloom is a bitch on every team, and there is no set way to handle it. I could use Starmie to absorb the Spore, but that’s a risky tactic. I could use Bronzong to absorb the sleep and any Seed Bombs. The idea basically is find a window where its sub is down and kill it with Starmie, Salamence, or Infernape.

Celebi: Metagross likes to go boom on this. Lucario’s Crunch can also strike fear, so long as it’d backed by Swords Dance. Salamence and Infernape’s Flamethrowers can also ding it up, but none of the above except Metagross enjoy being paralyzed. Starmie is sometimes used to absorb Thunder Waves.

Dugtrio: This bitch is UU, but I’ll write it up anyway. If Lucario has a SD, Duggy is not a factor. Starmie does a decent job, but does not enjoy Sucker Punch. Metagross can Bullet Punch, but Infernape is dead meat. Bronzong just loves seeing this guy though, as Duggy can’t touch him while Zong retaliates with high power Gyro Balls.

Electivire: Unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to test this in a real field situation, but I can guess how it works. Earthquakes from Zong and Metagross can dent it, but both fear Flamethrower. As long as I can keep it from getting Motor Drive activated, Salamence, Infernape, and Starmie can usually damage it, with Salamence being the preferred option.

Empoleon: I hate this bitch. Starmie handles it fairly well with strong Thunderbolts. Infernape’s Close Combat can kill it, but you have to be keep it from setting up Agility or you’re done. Salamence’s Brick Break does a number on it. Lucario can handle versions that haven’t set up yet. Empoleon is a late game sweeper. As such, I force it to kill something first and then revenge it.

Flygon: If it’s scarfed, you have basically have to wait your turn to hit it when it has no place to run to. If it’s CB, Bronzong takes the hits while lots of things on my team are capable of killing.

Gengar: Starmie can revenge weakened versions, especially if Metagross gets a Bullet Punch or two in. Bronzong’s Gyro Balls tear holes in this thing, but everything else on the team needs to steer clear of Gengar.

Gliscor: Ice Beam from Starmie, HP Ice from Infernape, Draco Meteor from Salamence, or simply explode. This is why you keep Lucario hidden.

Gyarados: Kill it, and kill it quickly with Starmie or a Draco Meteor from Salamence. Predicting this coming in makes the job countering it much easier.

Heatran: Scarf versions must be tricked into using Earth Power and switching to Salamence or Bronzong. Starmie can also handle some damage. If it’s not scarfed, it’s not a problem.

Heracross: Salamence is an iffy switch in, but resists most attacks. Bronzong can also take a hit (although fears two hits). If he’s hit on the switch in, he can’t wreak too much havoc.

Infernape: Starmie. Nuff said.

Jirachi: If this is a TrickScarf variant, I need to pick something that can take the scarf, which changes in every battle (sometimes Starmie, sometimes Salamence, rarely Infernape or Lucario). Use my plethora of Earthquake’s and Flamethrowers to eliminate, but tread carefully.

Kingdra: I need help here. In the rain, it decimates my team. Sometimes the best option is to explode with Metagross or take my chances to put it to sleep with Bronzong. Outside of the rain, not as big a problem.

Latias: Weaken it and let Starmie kill it. If it’s predicted coming in, Salamence can Draco it to hell, or Lucario can Crunch it. Zong can put it to sleep without worrying too badly.

Lucario: I haven’t played against a special version yet, but I’ve played against SD sets. I’ve been considering making my own Lucario Jolly just because of this. Metagross can EQ it if it’s fresh. It must be torn down before it can Dance. If I can do that, Lucario is not a threat.

Machamp: I have no ghosts, therefore I can’t counter this thing completely. Usually consists of letting something die and killing it with Salamence’ Draco Meteor or a weaker attack because it’s usually weakened after letting something die.

Magnezone: Scarf Versions kill Lucario, but if Magnezone is standing at that late in the game, I’ve failed. Metagross and Bronzong can both take a Thunderbolt and OHKO back with Earthquake. Starmie also works.

Mamoswine: Bronzong handles this nicely, as does Infernape. If it’s a slower Mamoswine, Lucario can kill it as well. Keep Salamence away. Metagross can also work if it’s weakened to finish off with Bullet Punch.

Metagross: Bronzong can EQ it. Infernape can deal serious damage with Flamethrower, as can Salamence. Starmie also works on weakened versions.

Ninjask: Ninjask is usually only seen very early in the game. I have to get creative with Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch from Metagross.

Porygon-Z: If it’s scarfed, sacrifice something and kill it in the late game. Bronzong can take some of its hits and strike back with Gyro Ball. Slower versions die to Close Combat.

Rhyperior: Not a problem. Surf from Starmie, Grass Knot from Infernape all OHKO.

Roserade: Infernape OHKO’s this. Metagross works until it gets put to sleep. After it puts something to sleep, Roserade doesn’t do very well against any of my team.

Rotom-A: I hate these bitches. Whack them on the switch in and be prepared for Trick. Don’t let them Will O Wisp Metagross or Salamence.

Salamence: If they’re not scarfed, Infernape and Starmie both OHKO them, barring Yache berry.

Scizor: Infernape works well if it’s fresh. Bronzong can put it to sleep. If Scizor is weak, Starmie works just fine. Salamence can take Scizor one on one and come out alive.

Snorlax: Close Combat it before it gets to +2 Defense via Curse. Only way to do it. Possibly put it to sleep with Bronzong. Last resort: Go boom with Metagross.

Starmie: Use prediction and hit it on the switch. There is no surefire way to beat Starmie on this team.

Suicune: Kill it at any cost. Metagross can go boom. Bronzong could put it to sleep, but Crocune doesn’t mind that. If it gets put to sleep without Sleep Talk, Lucario can handle it. Draco Meteor from Salamence works in conjunction with Outrage if I can cripple Suicune.

Togekiss: Attack its weaker base Defense. Close Combat can ding it up pretty well. Outrage can pack a wallop. Starmie can finish off weakened version. Metagross also doesn’t fare too badly.

Tyranitar: Bitch killed Starmie! Brick Break and Close Combat will quickly dispose of him.

Weavile: Infernape, Bronzong, and Metagross handle it without too much thought. Lucario can win if Weavile doesn’t carry Brick Break.

Yanmega: Priority attacks handle this well, as does Bronzong so long as it doesn’t get put to sleep.

Zapdos: Hit it with a wall breaker. If I can force this to take SR damage twice without Roosting, I can beat this. Draco Meteor/Outrage is my best way to kill it. Flamethrower from Infernape works to finish off weakened versions, as does Starmie’s Ice Beam.

So, thoughts?

bearsfan092 said:
“Finished here, Greeting Death!
He's yours to take away!”
Lyrics off of Disposable Heroes (Master of Puppets, Metallica)
How wierd that I was listening to this song exactly as I read this bit. I had to post after that.

First of all there's a few set errors, your first 3 Pokémon have no nature listed and Infernape has no moves listed, so cleaning that up would help.

@ Metagross, the standard is 252 Hp, 236 Atk, 12 Def and 8 Speed, the defense allowing a 100% survival vs Adamant CB Dugtrio's EQ (not to common but might as well be safe) and the speed to beat Skarmory and Magnezone (I know a lot are Scarf these days, but again, might as well be safe).

@ Bronzong, this is fine though I would suggest Explosion over EQ seeing as you say attacking isn't for Bronzong, so you might as well do as much damage as possible. Also, my next change helps a little vs Heatran so it doesn't matter about Bronzong hitting him as much.

@ Starmie, this is fine.

@ Salamence, you say you want to hit Tyranitar, but Brick Break isn't a 100% KO on the 176 Hp version and won't be an OHKO either on the specially defensive CB spread. Also you say that you sacrifice hitting Heatran as hard (Salamence does not OHKO), so for this I suggest changing Salamence to a mixed Dragonite set, which has an OHKO on both with Superpower (after SR on Heatran). Dragonite is also more bulky overall so can take max damage (61%) from CB Scizor's Bullet Punch and SR and still manage to make 2 attacks, assuming he hasn't taken prior damage or Sandstorm damage.

The set:
Dragonite @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
Inner Focus Ability
EVs: Atk 112, SpAtk 200, Speed 196
~ Superpower
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower
~ Thunderbolt / Roost.

@ Infernape, this is fine, the EV spread is alright too.

@ Lucario, this is good too. Jolly is only to hit Gliscor and Zapdos with Ice Punch, but seeing as you already have Starmie to outspeed them both and as Gliscor are getting faster to beat Lucario you really needn't worry. Crunch also hits Cresselia who give your team a bit of trouble so that's good anyway.

All in all, a good team.

In response to Zeromus EG:
1. I will take your suggestion on Metagross and move the EV's around a bit

2. Earthquake is more for attacking back a few threats. I usually try to keep Bronzong around and steel/normal is really bad coverage, especially when the normal move suicides you.

3. I need further input on others. Switching to Dragonite is a major change.

Thanks for the rate.

From a quick look, I'd say you have a Latias weakness; it outspeeds your entire team and can deal major damage to Infernape, Salamence, Starmie, and Lucario. I know Latias won't run Dragon Pulse, HP Fire, and Thunderbolt at the same time, but it could be a terrible nuisance. You also sorta look like stall teams might be a nuisance in general, and revenge killing might be a bit of a problem if something's massed too many stat ups (DD Gyara, in particular). From your list, high speed threats seem to be your main issue, because of your lack of Pokemon who can boost their(his or her?) speed.

So, I'd suggest dropping Starmie for Rotom W, H, or C.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf ~ Levitate
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/4 Whatever, Timid Nature
-Trick
-Thunder Bolt
-Shadow Ball/HP Ice/Ground/Fighting
-Overheat/Hydro Pump/Leaf Storm

It functions similarly to your Starmie, gives you a reliable way to revenge kill and maim Latias, and can trick walls to cripple them.

As for Salamence - Dragonite, I'd stay with Salamence. Your team is extremely offensive, and Salamence's higher Speed and Attack stats will generally be more useful. Since you won't be switching him smack into a SE attack (I assume you'll be abusing Fire and Ground resistances from Metagross, Bronzong, Lucario, and Infernape), your Dragon doesn't really need to take too big of a hit.

I hope I helped.. I'm new at this.

MixNite and MixMences are similar yet play their own parts on the team.
MixNite is more of a "pure" Wall breaker and it is harder...much hard to use him as a sweeper due to his speed.
MixMence is a lesser Wall Breaker but much...much faster...thus a better sweeper in general. Iono I like them both XD

MixNite and MixMences are similar yet play their own parts on the team.
MixNite is more of a "pure" Wall breaker and it is harder...much hard to use him as a sweeper due to his speed.
MixMence is a lesser Wall Breaker but much...much faster...thus a better sweeper in general. Iono I like them both XD
what i hate most are people talking out of their ass.

can you tell me for arceus sake wtf are you talking about?

haunter

Banned deucer.
From a quick look, I'd say you have a Latias weakness; it outspeeds your entire team and can deal major damage to Infernape, Salamence, Starmie, and Lucario.
How can this team be weak to Latias? He has 2 bulky steels and Latias can really come in only on Infernape. Other than that, Lucario can revenge kill with ES and Starmie - which, by the way, is faster - can finish her off with ice beam (if needed).

Now onto the team:

I believe that this team is pretty solid, but there are some flaws in my opinion.

I'd suggest to run the classic mix-Mence with roost over outrage and a rash nature with an EV spread of: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe. Salamence seems a very important member of the team and roost allows it to last a little longer meaning that Scizor's u-turns will be a little easier to handle, though Scizor can switch in only on Bronzong.

This team seems pretty weak to Gyarados, after a DD it can outspeed and ohko or severely hurt every member ov your team, Bronzong can take a +1 waterfall, but all you can do in return is hoping that hypnosis hits and that Gyara doesn't carry taunt. I'd suggest to run, on Starmie, an EV spread of: 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe, with leftovers over expert belt. This way you'll switch into Gyara a little easier and force it out or ohko with thunderbolt. The Spe EVs are enough to outspeed Gengar. You may also consider rapid spin over ice beam, so Salamence won't lose 25% of its HP at every switch in.

I'd make Infernape a choice scarfer, with Salamence and Lucario the wall breaking won't be a problem for you, so a good revenge killer may be better than a third wall breaker, I'd suggest to run the standard scarf-Ape suggested in the analysis:

Infernape@choice scarf
nature: mild
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
-close combat
-hidden power [ice]
-u-turn
-fire blast

u-turn is extremely useful to dent Latias and Starmie switch ins and to scout your opponent. HP ice allows you to revenge kill DD Mence and to ohko Flygon and Gliscor.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

@Haunter, those are some pretty radical changes. You are 100 percent correct regarding my Gyarados weakness, which calls for some counters. I'm gonna test them out (minus the Salamence suggestion. The ability to Outrage is very important to this team) and will get back to you when I get a feel for how they work.

I think a Dual Screen Zong would be more useful than your current one. He can come in and set up Rocks, Light Screen, Reflect, and explode to get a sweeper in.

Also I find it useful to add 4 extra speed EVs on MixApe, just for outspeeding other MixApes (though Jolly SD Apes will still outspeed). Of course you do have Starmie so it might not be too big of a deal.

Okay, back with some updates.

In this metagame, people are too prepared for SD Lucario, ready to trap it at a moment's notice with Magnezone. As such, I scrapped Lucario. However, I need some form of priority and a good early-mid game player. Because of this, I chose this Scizor, who's an excellent scout:

Scizor
Adamant
Technician
Expert Belt (We want a little more longevity here)
176 HP/100 Atk/56 Speed/176 Special Defense

Pursuit
Uturn
Roost
Bullet Punch

This does a good job providing good switch ins, especially on those expecting CB variants. Even if they aren't, STAB Uturns are invaluable as well as a very strong priority attack. I get a lot of fire attackers targeting him, so replacing Bronzong:

Tyranitar
Jolly
Sand Stream
Babiri Berry
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP

Dragon Dance
Crunch
Stone Edge
Fire Punch

This team has something of a problem with Latias and Rotom. This is designed to solve that problem by setting up when they would usually flee (or if they're stupid enough to stay, Crunch em). This is my late game sweeper that has taken over more of Lucario's role.

Starmie's EV's have been changed to Haunter's suggestion, which has helped win a few matches in testing. Thank you! And yes, this team is currently functioning without Stealth Rocks. It will for the time being until I can figure something out. The most likely place that it could come in is Metagross, but I'm worried about it.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Okay, so you definitely want stealth rocks on an offensive team. The simple change you can make is adding SR to metagross instead of Bullet Punch or Earthquake (removing earthquake will allow you to beat azelf and aerodactly much easier, but removing bullet punch will let you bring most of the common offensive leads down to 1hp, but you may not be able to finish them off, but if you play tyranitar cleverly with sandstorm, I don't see any problems). Also, once they are at 1hp, starmie can come in and rapid spin away that last hitpoint, so they really got nothing out of this encounter.

I support the starmie EV change. The problem with replacing lucario is that stall becomes that much more of a problem. To help against stall, I would run roost instead of outrage on salamence (I know you dislike this change, but I do think it would be for the better, as you can roost freely against gyarados and hippowdon (if they don't EQ) in a stall team and come around again for another go at destroying their team (stall teams really hate roost mix-mence).

I think that a choice banded scizor would be a lot better then the current set you have, the extra firepower is really worth it, letting you revenge and kill a lot more foes (scizor doesn't always get the chance to roost anyway) with salamence being the main one.

As always, vaporeon is hard to take down for an offensive team such as this. For that reason I suggest making infernape physical, with the following set:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive, 252 Atk / 196 Speed / 64 Sp. Atk
Overheat / Fire Blast
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Mach Punch / Grass Knot

This infernape will 2HKO vaporeon with SR on the switch with close combat and does a lot better against gyarados and zapdos (I think overheat OHKOs zapdos after SR which would be one of the main reasons to have it over fire blast. I believe this set will also do better against stall and even offense (stall will be easier with grass knot, offense with mach punch).

Otherwise, this team is fine. Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)