BH Balanced Hackmons Central Resources

Now that Mega Beedrill is actually rated on the VR, I have some sets to post for the setpedia for it.

Beedrill-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws / Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- U-turn
- Ice Hammer / Bolt Strike
- Close Combat / V-Create
- Sunsteel Strike / Gunk Shot / Dragon Ascent

Beedrill-Mega @ Lumb Berry / life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Megahorn
- Gunk Shot
- Hypnosis / Sing
- V-Create / Precipice Blades

pazza

Banned deucer.
I was more focused on RegenVest

0- Atk Darmanitan-Z Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 172-204 (41.3 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (0 Atk EV, 0 Atk IV, Timid Mewtwo-Mega-Y)

*Throw In 2 turns of MMY’s Life Orb Damage, and that 82.6% minimum Damage it deals becomes 102.6%

228 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 177-211 (42.7 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

Mewtwo Cannot 2HKO, or 1HKO Darm, but after Life Orb Damage, Darm can 2HKO MMY.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 211-250 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ya know the best part of Life Orb + Sheer Force? No recoil :D

also unless im missing something why are you running 228 spa

Reactions: pqs
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 211-250 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ya know the best part of Life Orb + Sheer Force? No recoil :D

also unless im missing something why are you running 228 spa
its because he wants his calcs to look good.
also
Darmanitan-Zen @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
- Psystrike
- Earth Power

Darmanitan-Zen @ Firium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
Quiet Nature
- Shore Up
- Core Enforcer
- Blue Flare
- Stealth Rock

Darmanitan-Zen @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Darmanitan-Zen @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
Relaxed Nature
- Shore Up
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume

Darmanitan-Zen @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shore Up
- Spectral Thief
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike

Darmanitan-Zen @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
- Shore Up
- Destiny Bond
- Parting Shot
- Haze

pazza

Banned deucer.
Oops missed part. But the thing is, Muk is in the same boat for Ground moves...

Corrected the Calcs below

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 179-213 (43.2 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

So the likelihood of it being 2HKOed is very low, while Darm is using Foul Play for a guaranteed 2HKO after Life Orb recoil.

The point of Darm-Z is that it’s resistances allow it to handle different threats (Diancie, Kyurem-B -ate sets, etc.) and not just MMY or Sceptile.
why are you running LO without sheer force and why would you click moongiest there

Reactions: pqs
Contrary mmy rarely has a use in clicking moongeist directly, the more likely situation is that it uses any of its other moves on the switch, gets +2 and kills you on moongeist.
There's also the possibility of switching out after you've dealth the original 50% and darm doesn't get enough form regen to risk switching in on moongeist again.

If you're running anything that isn't an assault vest you're taking 75% from moongeist anyway so you're not really walling mmy either.

The more likely set to wall a contrary mmy would be prankster with topsy turvy, which I guess it ok but you do run the risk of getting weakened by boost on the switch and being forced to click topsy turvy as the opp goes into something that forces you out.

It's not ideal really, might work but not ideal.

Thought yeh it does seem decent against the rest of the stuff you mentioned. If only it wasn't rocks weak. I'd like to see darm in actual play tho.

Also pazza pls, you can't expect to deal with every mmy set with the same mon/set. That's normal.
And life orb is the most used item on mmy, this includes contrary sets.

Looking at Darm-Z's resistances, we see that it resists Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Steel. This means that it resists all 3 of Fairy, Fire, and Psychic, along with a bonus to Grass, Fighting, and Steel. Note that all of the above are common Contrary typings, which means that with Unaware, Darm-Z is an okish Contrary check (Contrary still broken). And therefore its primary set should be Unaware. Regenvest looks nice, but when you realize that every single MMY set has a way to beat it (Tinted has Tinted, Set up has Moongeist, SF has Earth Power, and Contrary has Moongeist and Spore) it seems a lot less good (Even stuff like -ate can use PBlades and like). Also Foul Play is a bad move.
252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 130-153 (31.4 - 36.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 117-139 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 144-170 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
You fall to Moongeist though.
Against MMY you win against non-moongeist (they sometimes run 3 attack+spore)
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 140-165 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 87-103 (21 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 108-127 (26 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Pixie Plate Mewtwo-Mega-Y Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 62-73 (14.9 - 17.6%) -- possible 6HKO
Could take Scept
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 160-190 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 80-95 (19.3 - 22.9%) -- possible 5HKO
You lose to MegaRay
252 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 246-290 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Maybe you can take Necro-U without LO but who uses that anyway
252 SpA Necrozma-Ultra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 178-211 (42.9 - 50.9%) -- 4.3% chance to 2HKO

I realize that Shore Up and Roost definitely have their places, (Shore Up easily being the best, 16PP and Sand Boost), and Roost has the typing removal, but when do you run Shore Up, versus a different 16PP move? I’ve chosen milk drink on all mons that can’t check imprison, but I’d like to learn the rule of thumb here.

Edit- Deleted shit part of shitpost

Last edited:
afaik rule of thumb is shore up on mons that can comfortably stay in on ttar, and others chosen at random that dont really matter as long as theyre not the same as each other
edit: that last post screws with quote formatting pretty badly wtf

Mega Swampert still has value in other applications. A Sap Sipper set will almost always invite an unwitting attack boost. Z-Tailwind + STAB Bonemerang and Crabhammer pretty much guarantee massive crits, and w/ the speed boost and Icicle Crash can deal w/ Garchomp.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A Sap Sipper set will almost always invite an unwitting attack boost.
The problem is that Grass-type moves are uncommon. Only Spore, Giga Drain (on Triage Rayquaza-Mega, which has 8% usage), Leaf Storm (on Contrary Rayquaza-Mega and Mewtwo-Mega-Y, which has a combined 4.8% usage), Leech Seed (on 11.5% of Poison Heal Kyogre-Primals, which would prefer to burn it with Scald), and Strength Sap (which has a less than 7% usage for each defensive mon). Additionally, with the prevalence of Imposter and Entrainment, as well as knowing that Mega Swampert's only weakness is Grass, most people would avoid using Grass-typed moves against it, similar to how they are hesitant to use Fire-types on Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Z-Tailwind + STAB Bonemerang and Crabhammer pretty much guarantee massive crits,
Z-Tailwind, while being an interesting set, is only usable for crits once, and doesn't give it enough firepower to break through common walls:
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina on a critical hit: 218-258 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO (which becomes a 3HKO if it's Poison Heal)
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega on a critical hit: 184-217 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Yveltal on a critical hit: 128-152 (28 - 33.3%) -- 91.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 150-176 (42.6 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (assuming one crit)

It also is hopelessly walled by Imposter:
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 152-180 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- approx. 0.1% chance to 4HKO (This assumes you got both crits)
252+ Atk Chansey Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Swampert-Mega: 100-118 (24.7 - 29.2%) -- approx. 100% chance to 4HKO

Icicle Crash can deal w/ Garchomp.
Garchomp almost always uses Illusion, so unless you're a predicting legend, it would be unlikely that you would Icicle Crash an Aegislash or Registeel or any other defensive illusion.

Overall, offensive Swampert-Mega looks like a worse Gyarados-Mega, having less attack power, less Special Defense, and less Speed. Its only niche is in its better offensive typing and higher physical bulk at the cost of not having STAB Pursuit or Knock Off, and being more weak to Moongeist Beam and Photon Geyser.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
pikachu to ur

now i know that this mon can kinda screw up some balances under the right circumstances, but i don't really see how it can fit on a team in practice.

first off is its reliance on ties. ideally you'd want paralysis support with it, but getting mmy/diancie/ray paralyzed is really hard to do in practice, plus paralysis in general is pretty bad right now (ph has seen an increase in usage on stuff other than audino). plus, even if you manage to get your opponent in a situation that's bad for them, you're still relying on a speed tie which is just really not good.

and that's not even counting the completely imposter proof cores that wall pikachu, like that soundproof ray + seed flare scales mscept core that saw some usage a while back. pikachu puts in absolutely no work in these matchups, while chansey could at least have success copying a support mon.

pikachu also has a really lame matchup against stall because it's really easy to pressure and it usually can't put in much work by copying a defensive mon. this means that you're going to be using another breaker alongside it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of using pikachu in the first place.

additionally, pikachu hasn't seen any kind of success or even use in major tournaments. it's usually brought only as a joke pick in tournaments that don't matter as much (roomtours). compare this to stuff like beedrill, which has been shown to be a legitimate threat in a tournament setting.

unrank the rat

additionally, pikachu hasn't seen any kind of success or even use in major tournaments.
Thinks back to BH spring seasonal round 7
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-764272576

:blissthink:

Yeah I gotta admit the ssnl isn't the biggest tour and we were both busy with ompl so brought random teams from the bottom of the teambuilder but you know I can't resist a bad joke.
Also it isn't exactly ranked as such, it is more just mentioned as one of the three users of imposter and I think it is noteworthy enough to justify it having a sprite there for reference.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
pikachu to ur

now i know that this mon can kinda screw up some balances under the right circumstances, but i don't really see how it can fit on a team in practice.

first off is its reliance on ties. ideally you'd want paralysis support with it, but getting mmy/diancie/ray paralyzed is really hard to do in practice, plus paralysis in general is pretty bad right now (ph has seen an increase in usage on stuff other than audino). plus, even if you manage to get your opponent in a situation that's bad for them, you're still relying on a speed tie which is just really not good.

and that's not even counting the completely imposter proof cores that wall pikachu, like that soundproof ray + seed flare scales mscept core that saw some usage a while back. pikachu puts in absolutely no work in these matchups, while chansey could at least have success copying a support mon.

pikachu also has a really lame matchup against stall because it's really easy to pressure and it usually can't put in much work by copying a defensive mon. this means that you're going to be using another breaker alongside it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of using pikachu in the first place.

additionally, pikachu hasn't seen any kind of success or even use in major tournaments. it's usually brought only as a joke pick in tournaments that don't matter as much (roomtours). compare this to stuff like beedrill, which has been shown to be a legitimate threat in a tournament setting.

unrank the rat
I agree. The only thing I would add, is that sometimes people give it Tailwind rather than Nuzzle/Glare support, so it can outrun the opponent for a few turns.

The other advantage includes being Immune to Imposter, so their own Imposter cannot copy your Pikachu, allowing you to be Imposterproof, literally.

why no ban of imposter chansey ? it s op and retard af
Could you please give more explanation? I’m sure the tier leader/council would be more than happy to consider it if we had a little bit more...

IMHO, Imposter Chansey forces players to be on their toes. It’s not broken if you just imposterproof your sets! It’s simply a threat you should prepare for, albeit a very common, and menacing one.

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
why no ban of imposter chansey ? it s op and retard af
Imposter is the only thing holding this tier together
Could you please give more explanation? I’m sure the tier leader/council would be more than happy to consider it if we had a little bit more...

IMHO, Imposter Chansey forces players to be on their toes. It’s not broken if you just imposterproof your sets! It’s simply a threat you should prepare for, albeit a very common, and menacing one.
None of these are why it's allowed. As Chessking said, it's allowed because it's the one set you have control over. Read here and from here for more information.

Storm Eagle

Banned deucer.
None of these are why it's allowed. As Chessking said, it's allowed because it's the one set you have control over. Read here and from here for more information.
While I can understand why people get so upset over Imposter, I don't feel like it's bannable solely because of it's ability to copy boosts and reverse sweep. In my honest opinion, that's on you for not having built your team around not getting swept by Imposter, or "improofing" your team. Many people don't have the foresight to build these "improofs" on their team for their offensive Pokemon then complain when they get reverse swept. I don't disregard their opinions because of that, however.

Anyways, here's my opinions on Imposter:
I feel like if there's any problem with Imposter, it's probably that Chansey with Eviolite and the defenses of Pokemon in a meta where unlimited EVs are allowed can get to be too much to handle. For example:

+6 252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 536-632 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Garchomp-Mega Dragon Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 344-408 (48.8 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

+3 252+ SpA Tinted Lens Dialga Corkscrew Crash (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 524-618 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even the most absurdly strong moves can't OHKO it. Often times you have to abuse 4x weaknesses on TOP of setup or use inferior coverage to do so. I think Chansey is a bit too bulky, even if I don't think it's overpowered in a sense. But the problem arises in that in banning Chansey, you end up banning some legitimately balanced sets like Fur Coat or Unaware Chansey. If you ban Eviolite, you remove a lot of niche sets that are semi-viable but currently unranked, and you may remove the possibility of new sets with Eviolite being discovered in the future.

Regardless, I believe that any sort of ban would end up having too much collateral damage on the tier as a whole and Imposter itself isn't banworthy.

---

Anyways, I did want to make a few suggestions to the VRs. Considering I haven't posted in this thread before, my thoughts will be quite lengthy. I'm going to be going from D rank upwards with this.

Mega Pidgeot - D Rank -> UR

Mega Pidgeot has effectively no presence on the ladder currently because of the fact that there are better options to choose from. Each Pokemon in Balanced Hackmons cuts a niche for itself but Mega Pidgeot is simply inferior in almost every possible way.

Mega Rayquaza serves to be a better Triage Pokemon. Even though Mega Pidgeot has a higher speed than Mega Rayquaza, it's simply average base 135 Special Attack means it's not going to be knocking anything out from full health, including Mega Rayquaza itself when it's using Triage too. It's base 121 Speed lets it outspeed Arceus too, but that's not really a feat when Arceus walls it. Even though it may have the strongest STAB Normal-type Boomburst, often times it's still not going to outdamage Pokemon with Pixilate or similar abilities. And the sad truth is that Normal and Flying STAB isn't even that good, whereas Mega Rayquaza's Dragon and Flying STABs at least let it do big damage to Dragons.

Ultimately, Mega Pidgeot has way too average stats and it's unable to find a niche unlike other D-ranks. Mega Pidgeot has awful 83/75/70 defenses and it's base 135 Special Attack seems pretty high at first glance but it doesn't compete all that well without setup and even with setup Mega Rayquaza ends up beating it as a Flying type Triage user. Normal type is inferior to Dragon type in a lot of scenarios. Even with it's STAB Boomburst, often times it finds itself being outclassed by Pixilate Mega Diancie or Aerilate Mega Rayquaza at that. It's lower stats than Mega Rayquaza in almost every way, it's mediocre offensive typing, and the fact that it's walled so easily makes it completely unviable for Balanced Hackmons in my honest opinion.

Mega Venusaur - C Rank -> D Rank

Mega Venusaur is used as a wall in Balanced Hackmons, and it's mediocrity shows due to how few things it actually can wall. Despite running Flash Fire, it's weak to very common coverage moves being Flying, Psychic, and Ice, which means it's role is very limited in what it actually can check. Grass is already a weak type in Balanced Hackmons and Poison, while niche, is better used on offensive Pokemon, namely Mega Gengar. Ferrothorn can do everything Mega Venusaur can but better, considering it's not weak in particular to Flying or Ice. Both Venusaur and Ferrothorn lose to Mega Mewtwo X so it's not like the Fighting weakness actually matter. Ferrothorn's defenses and Mega Venusaur's defenses are virtually indistinguishable in practice as well, so there won't be any notable difference with calcs.

In all honesty though, I consider Mega Venusaur to be a niche wall just like Nihilego. But Nihilego tends to wall the same stuff as Mega Venusaur barring the odd Water type moves. Both crumble under strong Ground coverage anyways from mons like Mega Garchomp. I compare Mega Venusaur to Nihilego because I feel like they are both Poison types which have very few things they can actually switch in to.

Pheromosa - C Rank -> B- Rank

Pheromosa is one Pokemon that legitimately caught me by surprise. It's absolutely appalling defenses and mediocre offenses leave something to be desired. But one thing that Pheromosa has is it's incredible Speed, allowing it to outspeed every relevant Pokemon in the tier. One set that was suggested to me some time ago was a set that strangely utilized Poison Heal. Me alongside another of people called it an unset and I even considered it to be a meme. But PH Pheromosa is a mon that sounds bad in theory and performs well in practice.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-777105575

If you can get a free switch using U-Turn, Pheromosa will almost always have the ability to force something out and remove it's item with Knock Off or put it to sleep. Considering the meta allows 252 EVs in all stats, Pheromosa is now capable of actually taking neutral STAB hits from most things. Pheromosa with Poison Heal does well because it can shut down offense and threaten many defensive Pokemon as well.

As for Pheromosa's main traits, I feel like it's Bug typing and ability to outspeed Mega Mewtwo Y and Deoxys-Attack are very much appreciated. It's Tough Claws set can easily OHKO (technically 2HKO sash versions of Deo-A) the two of them. It's Fighting type also helps because a Close Combat from Pheromosa is enough to force out most Steel types, although Pheromosa still has the drawback of not hitting particularly hard on it's Poison Heal set.

I know this post might seem like a joke, but I feel like I shouldn't bag on something unless I actually try it now. Also, it's sets now (Technician, Dazzling, Skill Link) aren't very good and I recommend changing them. Possibly to (Tough Claws, Poison Heal).

Mega Blaziken - B- Rank -> B Rank

Mega Blaziken's wallbreaking abilities are drastically underestimated by many foes. Often times this is also because of the fact that many people don't offer it very good support. Blaziken loves webs, for one, and it also does extremely well under Sun. If it has Drought support, a Banded Tinted Lens V-Create can OHKO everything up to Giratina. Physically defensive Giratina ends up fainting... in one hit!

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Sun: 490-576 (97.2 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

This is with Jolly, by the way. Adamant nukes it entirely.

Fire and Fighting STAB go perfectly well together as many of the Flash Fires get nuked by Close Combat or by First Impression/U-Turn. It's also easy to improof with Aegislash which is why it's so good. I feel like even though it requires support, it can easily tear apart walls with the right support. Under Sun it can be just as effective as higher ranked wallbreakers like Mega Garchomp or Kartana.

I'd say that's about it. I'm going to give my opinions on some more Pokemon at another point, but I'd like to have some opinions on these ratings.

For the most part I agree with Storm Eagle, and it made me think that there does seem to be some cleanup to do in the lower ranks. I think the standard for / distinction between D rank and C rank is relatively unclear. D rank seems to be a place of unmons and memes but has the occasional completely viable mon in it. Do Ho-oh or Beedril deserve the same viability as Blacephalon or Muk?

I think this distinction should probably be between what mons you should take into consideration when building (C rank up) and the mons that you could run in theory but don't really have to consider when building (D rank).

So basically it would be like;
C rank: Aero, The BEE, Cress, Darm-Z, Deoxys, Heracross, Ho-oh, Hoopa, Lunala?, Mag, Palkia, Pheromosa, Sableye, Steelix, Xurk.
D rank: Ampharos, Ash-gren, Blacephalon, Diancie, Lati@s, Lucario, Lugia, Muk, Nihilego, Pidgeot, Reshiram, Scizor, Stakataka, Fini, Venusaur

In terms of rises and drops;
Rise:
C -> D, Garb mon, never used.
C -> D, Walls like 3 things maybe and still struggles against them, useless the vast majority of the time.

Drops:
D -> C, Self explanatory + has seem Competitive success.
D -> C, Good typing + has seen competitive success.
D -> C, That's just a good mon.

Questionable:
Nifty typing but stats not good, has seen competitive success but still a questionable pick.
Strongest U-turn in the game, sees ladder use and is generally kinda good, but no tournament use as of yet (afaik).

Other things:
B- -> C/D, Draco plate galv doesn't even work anymore, tough claws is good in theory but nobody really uses that mon anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since MAMP basically addressed the same issue as I did, I might as well reply to his post (and other noms too I guess).

B- -> C, Agree. Most of swampert's main niches are essentially gone. For me its main niche in the groudon meta was the ability to wall physical Groudon sets AND mixed Galvanize Shell Smash sets. Mixed Galvanize doesnt really exist anymore (Galv in general is hardly noteworthy), Groudon is banned and the regular red orb groudon sets are typically handled by much better mons on the VR, its an unreliable steel resist at best since Kartana and Dusk manecan both beat it. It's really just a niche mon.

C -> D, Agree. Shit mons.

D -> UR, Agree. Never a reason to use them now.

D -> UR, Disagree. While I haven't used it in recent time, with thousand waves being basically nonexistent on -ates, levitate Nihi is a really potent check to both Diancie and Rayquaza who commonly carry either pblades or V-create to gets past steels. It's also really good against Xerneas, Checks some special attackers like Gengar or Charizard, and can absorb Toxic Orbs / Trick Black Sludge to problematic Poison Heal sweepers. I think this is enough to keep a mention of Nihi in the D rank.

D -> C, Agree.

UR -> D, Agree. Regirock is a good mon.

? -> UR, Agree and Disagree, kinda. It's worth noting that Pikachu is not actually ranked per se, it's listed as an imposter. So in that aspect I agree with Will that it's worth keeping a mention of it. But its sprite being one of the first thing you see when clicking on "meta rank" and it being accompanied by "marked their impact on the tier" or "impossible to really teambuild without considering them" is slightly misleading.
What I would recommend is removing Pikachu's spite from the main hide tag, but keep a mention of it in the mini overview tag as you did with mega imposters.

D -> UR, Agree. In practice it's really just a worse Arceus and nothing else.

and
Honestly, Pheromosa is probably better than Beedril in teams that aren't Diancie weak. It's superior speed means it can check Sceptile, Beedril and Deoxys-A It's fighting stab means that Pheromosa can run neutral stab and steel coverage in the same slot, making its 4mss drastically better than Beedril's. Its typing grants him a resist to pursuit, knock off and removes the sr weakness. And Phero can run a greater diversity of sets, including mixed sets. Beedril on the other hand can remove T-spikes, switch on fairy moves including Diancie's Boomburst or MMY's Fleur Canon, has a useful stab against fairy types (PH Audino or Xern are less likely to absorb your u-turns), and just deals slightly more damage overall.
Pheromosa's speed and greater diversity of sets are the main point that stand out for me, but mostly the listed advantages are team specific and the two mons remain on a comparable level of power. I Don't know about how I feel with having them in separate ranks.

Not sure on this one either, Blaziken is still very hard to fit on a team imo, and I find that the mons in the B rank generally provide more utility. B- rank is not a bad rank either.

Don't really have an opinion on any of them, Zard saw some OMPL success so that says something, Wak really does not appreciate its knock off weakness imo (even tho it's good for improofing). Groudon is the only one I saw used, last gen, and it was really awful. This gen it's kinda worse because Zygarde exist but at the same time kinda better because Techno Blast doesn't, thought I wouldn't recommend running Groudon, it's not a fantastic physical wall and it a mediocre soundproof.

Viability Rankings
Pokemon are sorted by name within their rank, and their sets are sorted in decreasing viability. Note that only the best 3 sets of a certain Pokemon is shown; however many can run other sets to reasonable success.
Mega Mewtwo Y (Tinted Lens, Contrary, Sheer Force)
If the best Special Attack stat in the game, an almost unrivalled speed tier, and high-Base Power STAB moves weren’t enough, Mega Mewtwo Y is arguably the Pokemon that benefitted the most from the generation shift. Sheer Force, Contrary and Tinted Lens can let Mega Mewtwo Y take on almost every Pokemon making it a really hard Pokemon to prepare for. Its presence alone greatly shifted the meta, forcing players to run Choice Scarf and Regenerator + Assault Vest users to deal with it. Balanced Hackmons without Mega Mewtwo Y would undoubtedly be very different, which is why it easily deserves a spot in the S rank.
Mega Rayquaza (Triage, Aerilate, Contrary)
Choice Specs or mixed Aerilate and Tail Glow Triage are the two viable sets that mega Rayquaza can mainly be seen running in balanced hackmons. However, it's stellar offenses and great offensive typing let it be able to run a multitude of other abilities such as Contrary, Tough Claws, Dazzle-Smash and more. Its wallbreaking power is also supplemented with very generous bulk and a great speed tier which can easily turn Mega Rayquaza into a threatening sweeper especially since it can abuse powerful priority on both sides of the spectrum. Its various sets, all of which require different counters, combined with its acceptable bulk, make it one of the hardest pokemon to prepare for in the meta.
A+

Diancie-Mega (Pixilate, Magic Guard)
Giratina (Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Fur Coat)
Kyogre-Primal (Regenerator, Poison Heal, Fur Coat)
Gengar-Mega (Normalize, Mold Breaker)
Registeel (Prankster, Flash Fire, Magic Bounce)

A

Regigigas/Slaking (Poison Heal)
Mewtwo-Mega-X (Adaptability, Tinted Lens, Contrary)
Xerneas (Poison Heal)
Zygarde-C (Poison Heal, Fur Coat, Magic Bounce)

A-

Audino-Mega (Magic Bounce, Poison Heal, Unaware)
Dialga (Tinted Lens, Regenerator, Steelworker)
Groudon <Red Orb> (Illusion, Download, Misty Terrain)
Kangaskhan <Kangaskhanite> (Illusion)
Shedinja (Sturdy, Magic Guard)
Solgaleo (Regenerator, Prankster, Flash Fire)
B+

Chansey (Fur Coat, Unaware)
Kartana (Steelworker, Tinted Lens, Unburden)

Necrozma Dusk-Mane (Flash Fire, Steelworker)
Tyranitar-Mega (Poison Heal, Sand Stream, Tough Claws)
Yveltal (Unaware, Poison Heal, Regenerator)

B

Arceus (Unaware, Poison Heal, Magic Bounce)
Aegislash (Prankster, Flash Fire)
Ferrothorn (Flash Fire, Unaware, Prankster)
Garchomp-Mega (Adaptability, Poison Heal)
Gyarados-Mega (Unaware, Poison Heal, Regenerator)
Kyurem-B (Refrigerate, Tough Claws)
Sceptile-Mega (Contrary, Sheer Force, Dazzling)
Slowbro-Mega (Fur Coat, Soundproof, Regenerator)
Zekrom (Galvanize, Tough Claws)

B-

Blaziken-Mega (Tinted Lens, Contrary)
Celesteela (Prankster, Flash Fire, Regenerator)
Kyurem-W (Refrigerate, Sheer Force, Snow Warning)
Necrozma-Ultra (Tinted Lens, Contrary)
Swampert-Mega (Fur Coat, Magic Bounce)
Aerodactyl-Mega (Magic Guard, Mold Breaker)
Ampharos-Mega (Prankster, Galvanize)
Cresselia (Regenerator)
Deoxys-A (Contrary, Simple, Dazzling)
Deoxys-S (Mold Breaker)
Hoopa-U (Dazzling, Adaptability, Tinted Lens)
Lunala (Simple, Unburden)
Magearna (Flash Fire, Regenerator)
Palkia (Drizzle, Tinted Lens, Swift Swim)
Pheromosa (Technician, Dazzling, Skill Link)
Sableye-Mega (Fur Coat, Regenerator, Magic Bounce)
Steelix-Mega (Flash Fire, Prankster, Regenerator)
Venusaur-Mega (Flash Fire)
Xurkitree (Galvanize)
Ash Greninja (Sheer Force)
Blacephalon (Sheer Force, Tinted Lens)
Beedrill-Mega (Tough Claws, Tinted Lens)
Darmanitan-Zen (Regenerator)
Diancie (Poison Heal, Regenerator, Sand Stream)
Heracross-Mega (Triage, Tinted Lens)
Ho-Oh (Magic Guard)
Lati@s-Mega (Contrary, Tinted Lens)
Lucario-Mega (Unburden, Steelworker)
Lugia (Prankster, Magic Bounce)
Muk-Alola (Unaware, Regenerator)
Nihilego (Sand Stream, Levitate)
Pidgeot-Mega (Triage)
Reshiram (Contrary, Tinted Lens)
Scizor-Mega (Flash Fire)
Stakataka (Steelworker)
Tapu Fini (Fur Coat)

I've been looking at the VR, and decided I probably need to do some noms.

B->C/D Agree with ML, Zekrom just can't do much in the present metagame. It is utterly outclassed as a FakeSpeeder, IMO, but still the premier Galvanize User in the tier. It's little more than a niche now. It hasn't been utilized in competitive play, from what I have seen.

C->D/UR Agree with ML, Amphy has decent defenses but an awful speed, and Prankster Nature Power in Electric Terrain is shut down by Dazzling. It's the same as Zekrom, one of the premier users of Galvanize, but it simply can't do anything outside of Electric Terrain memes. Definitely deserves, at most, D Rank.

D->C (+Unaware) I agree with ML and Storm Eagle on this, Ho-Oh is definitely not the best user of Magic Guard, but should at least be considered for its STAB on Mind Blown and Brave Bird. However, I also advocate for a Defensive Unaware set to be slashed after MGuard. 106/90/154 bulk isn't terrible, and when combined with ample hazard control (dies to stealth rock, but immune to all other entry hazards), could prove to work well as a niche set. SL utilized this in OMPL to success (even if most of what he brings are memes)

D->C (Maybe Unaware if I can test this thing out) OM! has made some points about this, and has piqued my interest to test it. I think it is kind of niche, and would certainly be C- if we had it, but it doesn't deserve D. I will test out Unaware and get back to you.

D=D ML explains it well, Nihilego is a check to all four -ates, even if it has very little justifiable use outside of that.

I agree with everything else ML and Storm Eagle said, except for where the contradict each other...

Now for my own noms-

D->C (+Prankster) Cresselia boasts 120/120/130 bulk and a good defensive typing, which I think warrants a prankster set. With Recovery/DBond/Haze/UTurn or Core Enforcer, it works like a Regigigas clone. IMHO, Prankster works even better than RegenVest! Yveltal and Dialga totally outclass it.

Will do more later if I have time

I definitely disagree that Pikachu is worth unranking; It's a pokemon that puts just so much pressure on most improofs (Seed flare sceptile + soundproof ray as a core is not relevant lol) that unless there's Shedinja it does a great job of wearing down or just outright blowing past common imposterproofing. It's also much less frail that people seem to think, and can tank powerful common hits such as:

252+ Atk Sky Plate Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def (Pikachu) Rayquaza-Mega: 208-246 (75.9 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD (Pikachu) Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 206-244 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252 Def (Pikachu) Groudon-Primal: 234-276 (85.4 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD (Pikachu) Diancie-Mega: 237-280 (86.4 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Even leaving aside paralysis, Pikachu can take on a sizable portion of the offensive metagame in a 1v1 and win; it's not switching in, but that's not what it's for. Unless you're Zygarde or have a choice item, Pikachu is taking away a larger percentage of your HP thanks to light ball:
252+ Atk Light Ball Groudon-Primal Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon-Primal: 464-548 (114.8 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
for instance; the rest of the calcs fall around a very similar 33% more effective damage, since most of the metagam has around 100 base HP.
The advantage of winning speed ties (via luck or paralysis) means it leaves pikachu healthy to do this again, or helps with getting a clean sweep of a bulky balance team. It doesn't really effect Pikachu's ability to 1v1 pokemont hat much,

Once Pikachu takes otua pokemon, most common defensive cores just die.
Registeel + Mray / Diancie?
+2 252 SpA Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 189-222 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 172-203 (47.2 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

Aegislash + MMX ?
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mewtwo-Mega-X Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Specs MGar + Regenvest Yveltal?
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Gengar-Mega Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 248-292 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm sure you get the idea. Even where it falls just short of a 2hko, most imoposterproofers aren't meant to take that kind of a hit; having to waste 5+ recover moves and cede momentum just to check one pokemon will break down a team quickly, even if they can save the offensive pokemon and its improof can hard switch in. It's seen sucess in tours such as SSNL and snake, and while it hasn't been used in OMPL That's true of quite a few lower ranked Pokemon; in a team tour, there's a much greater pressure to just use a more standard core,w ith your sole deviation fromt hat formula beign whatever mon you think can take advantage of their building pattern

Now, with that being said, however, tI can see the issue alluded to with having Pikachu under meta rank. There's a reason that even in gen 6, where Pikachu was better than it is now, I never even lobbied for it to go past C ranks; It definitally isn't an imposter on the level of chansey, and while it may be <the best choice> as often as blissey is that's more to blissey being straight outclassed by chansey than because the two are actually equally effective.

1532036112144.png
D->C
I used this on a hyperoffensive team and I was impressed; Triage Life-Orb Mega-Heracross hits really hard.
Its low speed is perfectly usable as it can be either slow enough to underspeed spectral thief/core enforcer or quick enough to (after smashing instead of sword dancing) outspeed dazzlers that would stop its stab drain punch / leech life. Setting up is really easy as it forces out steels, mmy (not dazzling obv), mtar, mdos and regigigas, but also some others (it can threaten even mbro which is nice for physical attackers). At +2 being hit by heracross hurts if not just kills. And trying to take away its boost doesn't work really well since hera happens to 2hko some hazers after the stat reset.

252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 484-569 (116.3 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (ok that's easy)
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Registeel: 250-296 (68.6 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 338-400 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Slaking: 361-429 (71.6 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dialga: 291-346 (72 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kangaskhan-Mega: 361-429 (87.1 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 608-717 (86.3 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kartana: 299-354 (92.8 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 546-645 (135.1 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus: 291-346 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 273-322 (77.5 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados-Mega: 330-393 (83.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (56.3% of ohko when neutral)
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyurem-Black: 361-429 (79.5 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sceptile-Mega: 463-546 (134.5 - 158.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 229-273 (58.1 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyurem-White: 390-460 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Necrozma-Ultra: 398-468 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That's some good damage (and for the red ones it's a ohko and there isn't much they can do about it) but we need them softened up otherwise they survive and call something that kills mega hera, like mray.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Heracross-Mega: 1764-2080 (484.6 - 571.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
No kill like overkill.

Let's say we have a shell smash under the belt, how does M-hera performs? It performs really good, even when compared to other smashers.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Diancie-Mega: 339-399 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (in the face of FakeSpeed)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross-Mega Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 465-549 (92.2 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (tbh this is pretty reliable between chip, hazards or running neutral)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 376-445 (93 - 110.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (chip damage helps, but if you are a madman and go for horn leech coverage it's a guaranteed OHKO)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross-Mega Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gengar-Mega: 665-785 (205.2 - 242.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross-Mega Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X: 577-681 (138.7 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (leech life has 56.3% of OHKO, in case it has chip damage and is not dazzling go for that)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega: 281-331 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(audino usually loses because if it tries to reset stats with haze or spectral thief it gets KOed by the following drain punch before it can heal, unless it's a pristine ph set)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross-Mega Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solgaleo: 502-593 (105 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 364-429 (79.8 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Heracross-Mega Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 395-465 (121.9 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zekrom: 341-402 (84.4 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blaziken-Mega: 417-491 (114.5 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 321-380 (80.8 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Triage Heracross-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Swampert-Mega: 360-425 (89.1 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (like kyogre)
Orange *HKO means that you could use SR to achieve great results.

I picked spectral thief because fighting/ghost is great coverage.

Imposter: you lose to imposter 1vs1. It is hopeless to try anything except murdering it on switchin with crit dragon ascent while deinvesting your own def. Or speed ties after smashing.
M-ray: it ain't bad at bulk, it's the typing that isn't defensive; hera has great disadvantage however, and loses unless it gets to +4 with SR ups or ray switches for unknown reasons on +2 spectral thief.
Xerneas: resists stab and running something for it is crippling overspecialization; requires +6 thief.
Zygarde: that's it, switch out, there's nothing you can do. Unless you read the spoilers below.
Pdon: bulky and without weaknesses to abuse, run or pray really hard for V-create miss.
Shedinja: not your job. Run hazards.
Garchomp: well you win this battle as its best is band dragon hammer (you funnily resist ground). Don't smash or you die, beginning from smashed is a roll on recoil.

First and foremost unaware invalidates the second list as only yveltal gets 2hkoed after rocks. Whatever is in the first list is still in trouble.
Second whatever runs fur coat gets promoted to the second list if it is in the first one or becomes a check if its in the second. Fair enough.
Third stab triage + thief loses to zygarde. A viable option is running ice hammer (ice hammer into priority 2HKOes everything except ph and fc); solgaleo is still hit acceptably hard by stab but you get walled to oblivion by aegislash. You can't check both. Tina gets OHKOed beyond rolls.
Fourth is stuff that beats you before you smash, which is almost anything offensive except non-dazzling mmy/scept.
Fifth you have dazzling. Hopefully you scout that before clicking priority or put yourself in a position where it doesn't matter (spectral thief a mmy if you have smashed instead of risking priority, same with mmx).

For improofing, you have some options. Zyggy wall variants that lack ice hammer, and aegi walls variants that lack spectral thief. Unaware xern takes everything pretty good and threatens back with spectral thief to boost or just moonblasting it to the moon. -ate M-ray is similar and boombursts it to death. Shedinja takes nothing.
Alternatively, an aggressive option exists; variants running spectral thief are HARD COUNTERED by dazzling regigigas/arceus, because they are untouchable. Those variant fits on hyper offensive teams, where there is no space for defensive answers for imposters.
Note: Idk why the last spoiler splits and I'm not going to investigate that.

Said this, I believe that m-hera deserves C rank.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Glad to see all the discussion on cleaning up the VR. Here are my thoughts on people's thoughts.
C -> D, Disagree. While Amphy isn't the premier mon of the meta, it is the hardest hitting special Galv user (that isn't walled by dragons) we have and it doesn't have to use specs to hit hard. Although the Draco Plate set definitely took a hit as far as improofing goes, (imposter has a chance to 3HKO you while you guarantee 3HKO, and 2HKO without eviolite) this set still hits walls very hard, 2HKOing every wall outside of FC Chansey and +SpD Regenvest Zygarde/Dialga. The speed is extremely slow, but I've found success running Modest with 252 Spe EVs so you can take advantage of min speed walls like Giratina and Audino and hit them first for a big chunk of damage.

C -> D, Agree. Never see this used and the typing is neat but not ideal for this meta.

D -> C, Agree. I was campaigning to get it ranked in the first place and I think C is a better spot for it.

D -> C, Neutral here. The typing is good on paper but I've seen limited actual use to know if it deserves to rise or not.

D -> C, Agree. Definitely has its drawback with rocks weakness, but is a good mon when run well.

This should probably stay in D. I wouldn't be sad if it dropped out though, because why use it?

D -> C, leaning towards agree. D seems right for this as it is too easily walled by almost every Giratina set. But I have been playing with banded Scrappy Hera and it 2HKO's non Fur Coat versions of Tina and completely wastes Aegislash and Sableye. But ElMustacho made some good points about what triage sets can do.

B -> C/D, Agree, but in C. While electric STAB can mess up unprepared teams, I still don't think Galvanize FakeSpeed is to be feared in a meta of dragons and fur coats. It seems like the most successful Zekroms I see are running shell smash, but give almost any mon shell smash and they are likely to net a KO if the timing is right.

B- -> C, Agree. Not much of a reason to use this at the moment.

D -> UR, Agree. Not much of a reason to use this at the moment.

D -> UR, Agree. I don't think I can count on one finger the times I've seen this in competitive use (other than on my mono rock team, but that wasn't very competitive).

UR -> D, Agree. Probably the best sand setter outside of Ttar. But it is quite passive on every set I've seen and has lackluster typing.

? -> UR, Disagree. I agree with what was said about it being shown under the "meta rank" and how that could be presented in a better way. But this mon, while not deserving of a ranking necessarily, does deserve recognition in this meta for what it can do with the right support. Also, see Quantum Tesseract's post.

D -> UR, Agree. At least this can run Soundproof Tail Glow, Z-Boomburst, Earth Power, and Moongeist to improof but its even outclassed in this set.

C -> B, Disagree. I also think it belongs in the same rank as Beedrill. The increased speed and ability to go mixed is nice, but the lower attack stat evens them out in my opinion. Also, mixed or special Pheromosa doesn't sound that great. The best STAB in Focus Blast means running No Guard and I doubt a No Guard set uses bug STAB (bug STAB is what makes this mon appealing in the first place). Other than that you could try Sheer Force LO with Bug Buzz and Focus Miss but good luck with that. All this to say again, keep it at C (and put Beedrill there too).

B- -> B, Disagree. First off, what is the real difference in B- and B? I agree that Blaze can wreck teams if it has the right support, but it has a hard time wrecking without that support.

UR -> D, Neutral. I've been meaning to make a Zard-Y team for a while but haven't. So I have no opinion at the moment other than I think it has potential.

UR -> D, Disagree. I've tried Soundproof, Fur Coat, Unaware, even Comatose on normal Don and haven't been blown away by any of them. The thing about Groudon is that if it isn't Red Orb that means its a defensive set and the other currently ranked defensive ground types have better dual typing and can run the same sets better.

UR -> D, Agree. A-Wak hits very hard and is fun to use, if you get a chance to get a hit in. Tough Claws and Tinted Lens both work well to cover different threats but it is just really hard to get clean hits in. It is weak to rocks, can't afford to run recovery, is worn down by chip, and has to be slow to avoid things like metal burst. These are big draw backs, but OHKOing a Kyogre switch-in is really fun to see.
Now for a nom of my own.

UR -> D. With every other offensive electric mon (is there even a defensive one in existence?) belonging in C rank, I believe that Manectric finds a home in D. It can run Galv but it has to use specs to pull its weight and that makes it harder to use. I've paired Galv Specs with pursuit trapper TTar to help get Giratina off the field, but that still leaves Zygarde to wall it on the switch. If only Weavile had a mega so we could nail Tina and Zygarde with one mon. It also has No Guard BoltBeam as a decent but harder to improof option.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)