Unofficial Metagames [Anything Goes] On Your Marks, Get Set, Stunt!

(Clears throat)

• Total voters

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
Listos, Preparados, Truquen!
On Your Marks, Get Set, Stunt!

Introduction
Well turns out that wasn't actually my last one. I've been working on this for over a month and I've achieved some decent success with it, surprisingly enough too, since I don't build very often, instead, opting to use teams my friends pass me. The team is named the way it is (sometimes shortened as "Ready, Set, Stunt!" by my friend Edgar) because it requires the player to have an insane amount of predict skill to run most of the time (at least, by my experiences) and hopefully by the end of this RMT you'll understand why.

Teambuilding Process

I'm not sure how other people go about building, but for me, I play out scenarios in my head before putting it on paper. Starting off as a Choice Specs Kyogre team, I thought Arceus-Steel would be an awesome teammate seeing as how it can directly switch-in to a predicted Dragon Ascent, but the next part was what got me thinking. If it was Support with enough speed EVs to creep it, I could only KO it if it's locked into a move because of the Choice Items, if it was Life Orb, I couldn't stop it from setting up or KO it after Dragon Ascent without Stealth Rocks. Unsure of what the Arceus-Steel should be, I put this on hold.

Seeing as how neither were really touching Primal Groudon or switching in, I decided to add Mega Rayquaza to the team, originally I would have used Dragon Dance as it's the one with the highest stall breaking capabilities, however, with Choice Specs Kyogre, I don't really need that. What I do need is a revenge killer for Ultra Necrozma and many other speedy sweepers, so I went with Choice Scarf. Plus you don't really run Surf with Life Orb, lol.

Well it looks like Marshadow or any physical attacker is gonna give me a hard time, Zygarde checks most of the ones on my mind (namely, Marshadow, Extreme Killer and Mega Rayquaza), however, it's still far too passive, and they often run something for it anyways, such as Hidden Power [Ice], Draco Meteor or the occasional Ice Beam so I decided not to use it. Support Arceus is the perfect check for 2/3 of those, but it's still too passive for my tastes. Defensive Yveltal is extremely underrated in my opinion, checking Extreme Killer, Marshadow, both formes of Necrozma AND Mega Rayquaza all in one go, while also being able to semi-check Primal Groudon and/or deal massive damage to it upon switching in, alongside having access to Defog, priority AND reliable recovery, defensive Yveltal was the perfect teammate for this team so far. Another reason is that it can hold an item, such as Rocky Helmet or Leftovers which turns a 2HKO roll into a 3HKO but I'll elaborate more on defensive Yveltal's greatness more in its section.

At this point I realized that Primal Kyogre is an immediate threat, Choice Scarf Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent is weak as hell and neither of our other Pokémon currently likes to switch-in on anything either, even if it can help chip it. Between the only two known Kyogre checks (fuck, I forgot about Gastrodon, sorry Mobius ;n;), I opted for Arceus-Grass as I think Ferrothorn does a poor job as a Kyogre check.
Arceus-GrassFerrothorn
Against Primal GroudonCan deal decent damage to Primal-Groudon who thinks it can just switch in.Can't do anything except Leech Seed on the switch and click Protect for one turn.
RecoveryAccess to reliable recovery, however, not being able to hold Leftovers sometimes suck for this Pokémon.Its only form of reliable recovery is Leech Seed, which can miss, costing games. It does get points for being able to hold Leftovers though.
Against set up sweepersIt can actually stop set up sweepers, or phaze them to an extent, such as Roar or Perish Song.Ferrothorn tends to switch out or scout, giving a free turn of set up.
HazardsStealth Rock.Has both Spikes and Stealth Rock.
As a Kyogre checkSwitches-in to Kyogre's Choice Specs Water Spout easily.2HKO'd by Kyogre's Choice Specs Water Spout.
STAB32 PP, 120 (144 because of Meadow Plate) Base Power Grass Knot48 PP Bullet Seed which hits Kyogre/Arceus-Ground and literally nothing else or limited 8 PP Gyro Ball which does decent damage to some things but nothing to Kyogre
Checking other Calm Mind usersAgainst Arceus formes, it checks Ground, Fairy and Steel to an extent, with its ability to phaze them or in Arceus Ground's case, stopping it from setting up entirely. Against Mega Mewtwo Y, it can click Perish Song putting a timer on it if nothing wants to directly switch-in.Against Arceus formes, it's 2HKO'd by Ground at +1, Fairy occasionally carries Fire Blast and Steel isn't doing anything to it but it's not doing anything back either. Against Mega Mewtwo Y, those most certainly carry either Aura Sphere or Fire Blast.
Additional notesAlso semi-checks Xerneas, being able to take Moonblast or any of its coverage moves at +2 Special Attack as well as check Zygarde, taking boosted Thousand Arrows like they're nothing. Unfortunately, it does not have the Poison immunity Ferrothorn has and when it switches into Stealth Rock, it takes 12.5%.It has Iron Barbs (>Specially defensive). Nice Toxic immunity. When Leftovers Ferrothorn switches into Stealth Rock, it takes a net 0% damage.

While Arceus-Grass was able to check Xerneas, I felt too much pressure would be put on it if it were to check so many things at once, so I knew I needed another Xerneas check. I also lacked a Stealth Rock user at this time, and after seeing the popularity of Psyspam and Jolly Mega Rayquaza rise, Arceus-Poison did not seem like the most optimal Pokémon to use for me, plus if either Psychic or Psyshock manages to land a critical hit, I'm fucked lmfao. Even though it's true that Dusk Mane does not do nearly as many things as Arceus-Poison does, Dusk Mane is the best Pokémon for the job in this case, being the much needed reliable Stealth Rock user capable of setting them against Psychic Terrain teams, a feat Arceus-Poison cannot brag about. In addition, adding another Steel-type to the team means having an extra Fairy-type check to loosen the burden on Arceus-Steel.

Well would you look at that. A gaping 3x fire weakness! Lovely. If we stop all the Fire-type attacks, namely those from Ho-Oh or Mega Rayquaza, that'd literally solve everything, thought my brain. Just make it not use Fire-type attack moves and resume as usual, right? Right. Well, in theory, yes, but in practical use, no. Primal Kyogre is frail as fuck and even if it swapped into every Fire-type attack type ever, it won't necessarily have the longevity to do much else so as a result I just made it defensive and called it a day.

The Squad

Emperador Oceánico (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind

- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest

Named the Oceanic Emperor, Primal Kyogre serves multiple purposes on this team. Firstly, boasting its 160 base Special Defense, it comfortably takes care of most Calm Mind wars. Secondly, with maximum defense investment, Primal Kyogre is able to check many physical attackers in an emergency situation such as the Extreme Killer or Marshadow, it is even capable of surviving a Choice Band Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent. In addition, Water is an excellent defensive typing in my opinion, as there are not many viable Electric or Grass-types in Anything Goes and we don't often run coverage to hit Water-types super effectively either. Scald was the chosen STAB as being able to fish for burns pairs well with being defensive. Even in Calm Mind wars, if Kyogre manages to score a burn against the opposing Pokémon, it'll need to recover more often due to the passive burn damage which more often than not means giving Kyogre extra turns to Calm Mind.

Ice Beam exists mainly to take down Rayquaza after a Dragon Ascent as being able to live it would mean nothing if it couldn't KO it after, and although not having coverage for opposing Water-types suck, you have Arceus-Grass to cover for those. Rest is for longevity and with exactly 4 Speed EVs, you are effectively slower than the specially defensive Primal Groudon leads who run 8 Speed EVs, granting you the weather, immediately putting immense pressure on the opposition as nothing really appreciates switching-in to Kyogre after, while still being faster than the typical Ho-Oh who run little to no speed EVs (252 HP, 204 Def, 52 SpD) allowing you to creep it to avoid taking Brave Bird once you have safely switched-in to Sacred Fire.

Jefe Supremo GAIA (Arceus-Steel) @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Recover

Dubbed God Gaia, there's not much for me to say about this Pokémon so I'll keep it short. Arceus-Steel is my main switch-in to Mega Rayquaza, and with max Special Attack, it's able to leave a massive dent on the spot after Life Orb recoil and a special defense drop. Having two Calm Mind users also gives you an advantage against some Stall, who typically only run one Confide user. Lastly, alongside its teammate Beta Lion, it is a Toxic switch-in and Fairy check. I would usually value this over Beta Lion as a Fairy check because of its sweeping potential.

DiosDragónCelestial (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Delta Stream

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- V-create

Serving as the fast and powerful late-game sweeper, Mega Rayquaza mainly acts as a revenge killer or lead for me 50% of the time. It mainly checks Primal Groudon as our own Primal Kyogre doesn't often like switching into its Ground-type STABs, whereas this wouldn't mind a few of its Fire-type ones, if you are switching in, do be wary of its potential Dragon-type attacks or Hidden Power [Ice] though. Rayquaza also sometimes serve as an emergency check for Marshadow and Kyogre should neither of our other checks be in any condition to do so. Hasty was chosen over Naive mainly to survive this rare scenario:

-2 4 SpA Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 236-278 (67.2 - 79.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Its name translates to HeavenlyDragonGod.

Terror de los Cielos (Yveltal) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Defog
- Foul Play

- Roost
- Sucker Punch

Given the nickname Terror of Skies by The Queen of Stall, Yveltal is by far the least passive tank out of them all, capable of using its opponent's attack stat against them should they try to set up. I'm aware this isn't one of the most common defensive Yveltal sets, some might even call it weird but Sucker Punch is extremely handy against Mega Rayquaza in some tight situations, Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y which defensive Yveltal would otherwise be unable to touch comfortably. Lastly, it also acts as a revenge killer against Necrozma Ultra. For its item, I opted for Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers as Focus Sash holding Marshadow annoys my team, in addition, it also KOs Extreme Killer at +2 Attack after it attacks you, which Support Arceus formes cannot do but spam Recover until you're at full health, then click Judgement, risking a Sword Dance on the Recover sometimes.

With precisely 28 Speed EVs, you are able to outspeed a non-Choice Scarf holding Jolly Mega Rayquaza after it has used V-create and KO it with Foul Play. Crucial given how weak this team is to Fire-type attacks, you'd typically only switch-in to those with Life Orb, since Kyogre won't like taking Dragon Ascent after.

Defensor de las Tierras (Arceus-Grass) @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 232 HP / 232 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Recover
- Perish Song

Most teams use either Ferrothorn or Primal Groudon to wall other Primal Kyogres, however, I don't believe there is any Pokémon to be better suited for the job than the Defender of Land as it has instant reliable recovery alongside resisting its strongest STAB all at once, which is something neither of the above can brag about. While it certainly has its weaknesses, Arceus-Grass does much more than wall the Oceanic Emperors of my opponents. With Perish Song, it stops Baton Pass and Smeargle who typically carry Ingrain and Calm Mind Arceus formes- namely Ground- from simply sweeping through me. It also serves as a soft check to Zygarde, which neither Yveltal or Kyogre appreciates taking boosted Thousand Arrows from. Defog on this Pokémon keeps Stealth Rock off against other Magic Coat lead Arceus, which my team often cannot risk getting up, ever. Finally, while that much speed on a support Arceus may seem unnecessary, it actually serves a purpose.. Which I can't remember, rip. I just know I did it for something LOL.

León Alfa (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Toxic
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock

Say hello to one of the best (if not THE best) Xerneas check this generation, boys. Beta Lion is your run of the mill defensive Dusk Mane, basically, and since I've already explained most of what it does earlier, I'll explain why I picked Leftovers over Solgalium Z, despite my team having an unused Z slot. Leftover's passive recovery loosens Focus Blast's high 2HKO roll (97.7% chance to 2HKO) to 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, which in and of itself is huge, in some situations, it's possible for you to switch-in to a Xerneas as it uses Geomancy, then completely emerge out at full health thanks to Leftovers and Toxic. If you're lucky, you may even get Stealth Rocks up in the process.

Threat List

The biggest threat to this team isn't even a Pokémon, rather, it's Stealth Rocks. If Stealth Rocks get on, Yveltal is unable to perform its role, at which point Marshadow or Life Orb Mega Rayquaza just goes on a roll.

Stall
Well with the removal of Choice Specs Kyogre I don't really have a reliable stall breaker, I just pray two Calm Mind users overwhelm their Confide user.

To be honest overall, I wouldn't say there are many threats, but I can point out that misplaying against these common Pokémon will lead to your demise.

Mega Rayquaza
Choice Band variants are played around using Arceus-Steel and Kyogre, while Choice Scarf variants are walled indefinitely by Yveltal with ease and after a Dragon Dance, Yveltal has a 68.7% chance to survive Dragon Ascent.

Marshadow
Yveltal pretty much walls all variants of Marshadow, but if Stealth Rock gets on your side of the field you're gonna have to predict a bit or get Stealth Rocks off.

Primal Groudon
Although mostly everything can put a dent to it on switch-in, not everything can necessary switch-in to it itself, but let's be honest here lol, specially-offensive variants more or less just win.

Ho-Oh
Pretty much the same as Mega Rayquaza.

Arceus-Poison
Arceus-Steel or Primal Kyogre sets up on this for the most part.

Replays

Proof of Peak

Shoutouts
Catmin - Bae, I don't know what I'd do without ya. I was honestly really shocked when you made that, like, I asked for one favor dude? And the fucking bullshit removal, LOL. That 100% sounds like a me-thing to do, tf? Did the CSS Master rub off on ya? If I had to count how many times I've been rendered speechless by your antics, maybe 160k would be a good rough estimate? For now anyways.

Σπυρος - Ευχαριστώ για όλα όσα κάνεις για μένα. Και οι μεταφράσεις φυσικά. Ανυπομονώ να φτιάξω πιο διασκεδαστικές αναμνήσεις μαζί σας! Π.Σ Δεν ξέρω αν αυτή η μετάφραση είναι σωστή, αλλά ελπίζω να την αποκτήσετε. :Ρ

Conclusion

Releasing this on Memorial Day, as a tribute to the player I set out to become. They're not gone or anything, in fact, most people would argue this player even exists, but to me, they just haven't made their debut yet.

Pokémon is just rock paper scissors, except there's a 5% chance that your paper spontaneously bursts into fire in your hand, the scissor falls apart and the rock turns into a super effective meteorite with crits.
Wisemin
                     ​

Last edited:

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
My "not in the replays" streak continues. Arc-Grass is so underrated and it's really good. Even better than Ferro imo. I'm somewhat confused about what the defensive Pyogre does, however. It seems like defensive Zygarde would cover most, if not all, of these same weaknesses, as well as checking Proudon, Band Ho-Oh, and BandRay.

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
You're acting like I can read :p
Well basically, every fucking time I give Zygarde a try SOMETHING goes wrong, like +6 E Killer crit (THREE TIMES BTW) or a Rayquaza I thought was Scarf ended up having Ice Beam so I gave up on it. Me and Zygarde just weren't meant to be, so I'll stick with mY-God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)