ORAS UU Amp are Us (VoltTurn team)

Hello, Smogon community. I am Majore D' Mawile, a not so new player in Showdown (it's been four months since I've entered), and I'm just new to the community, although I've been reading a lot of catchy RMTs, which encouraged me to post my own RMT. Here is a team I've been currently working on for about a week now. Any positive criticism/suggestion will be accepted.

The Team:

ampharos mega.png

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static ---- Mold Breaker
EVs: 212 HP/252 SpA/ 44 Def
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

-Volt Switch
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast

Ampharos is one of the very interesting mega Pokemon I came up with when I shifted tiers from OU (I called it a day after watching too much Landorus-T appearing almost all the time, and same goes for Greninja) to UU. After testing it on this team, and pretty much like reading the other RMTs, I found out that this is one of the biggest things in the UU tier. It's also a Pokemon that I decide to build around with.

EV Spread: I got to admit this, since I get ideas from other RMT forums. The EV spread was based on another Ampharos set in a RMT Archive forum. Seeing how good Ampharos can tank even some of the best STAB moves, I decided to modify it to cope with the current metagame (it was originally 212 HP/ 252 SpA/ 44 Spe), and it was the set I made my Ampharos cultivate with.

Move Selection: The moveset presents very common moves that this beast must pack. It's got 3 STAB moves: starting off with Thunderbolt, which is its obligatory STAB, taking out other beasts such as Suicune and Tentacruel. Volt Switch is the main move that has to be clicked almost 100% of the time. Dragon Pulse takes on other common dragons. And also, the coverage move used is Focus Blast, which ignores things such as Aggron-Mega's Filter, which also makes it a good coverage for a Pokemon like Ampharos.

Roles: Ampharos is the quick, go-to answer to common threats such as Suicune, which can crap up the team badly. It's also the bulky attacker of the team.

Calculations:
The following calculations will prove how bulky Ampharos is, with the given spread, at its mega evolution:
  • 252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Ampharos: 368-434 (98.3 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (even if there's a big chance to 1 shot Amp, it still proves to be bulky enough; note that this is Mega Swampert).
  • 252+ Atk Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Ampharos: 190-224 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is at Mega Aerodactyl's main extent; even if it has Earthquake for coverage, Amp still proves that it is a threat not to be underestimated).
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Ampharos: 321-380 (85.8 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO(even specific wall-breakers like Darmanitan cannot easily plow through; this is of the Jolly Life Orb variant).
  • +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Ampharos: 422-499 (112.8 - 133.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (it takes a +1 boost on Haxorus to defeat Ampharos-Mega with the given spread).

crobat.jpg

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 216 Spe/40 HP/252 Atk
Jolly Nature
-Brave Bird
-Taunt
-Defog
-U-turn

Watching a video on Smogon's youtube channel discussing UU as a tier, including all the threats, banlists, etc., I found that Crobat is a very reliable choice for a support Pokemon in the UU tier. It also turns out to be the pseudo-Talonflame (because both have good abilities and STAB Brave Bird) and pseudo-Lati@s (because both are fast defoggers) of the tier, so this Pokemon made its way to my team.

EV Spread: It's also another spread I got from the RMT forums, providing a combination of maximum attack, enough speed to keep up with certain Pokemon, etc.

Move Selection: Brave Bird is the only STAB this 'mon has access to, and it also becomes very reliable. Taunt was once Roost, but since I lead off with Mienshao or this Pokemon 100% of the time, Crobat's health recovery was replaced by Taunt, making it an anti-lead and stall-breaker. Defog takes away all the crap in the field (barring Leech Seed). Finally, U-turn continues the momentum within the team.

Roles: Crobat is my anti-lead, stall-breaker, defogger, and my counter to things like Chesnaught, Trevenant, etc.

florges.jpg

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 SpD
Bold Nature
-Aromatherapy
-Wish
-Moonblast
-Protect

Clefable was once of my favorite Pokemon back in OU. Now that I have moved to UU, I have to find an alternative for Clefable. Finally, Florges became the final decision for the team. It fulfills almost everything that Clef can do, except for status absorbing and others.

EV Spread: The EV spread above helps it patch up its physical weakness, while maintaining its overall bulk and strong special capabilities.

Move Selection: Since something has to come out very often, it is necessary to take off status ailments that my Pokemon might get from their switch-in, so Aromatherapy was added. Wish gives any of my Pokemon reliable recovery. Moonblast takes on things like Hydreigon and other dragon crap that can ruin me, and Protect helps me scout my opponent's next possible move.

Roles: Florges is my special wall, my dragon neutralizer, and my cleric. It's also one of the key members in my team.

swampert.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 Atk
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

Swampert is an amazing Pokemon. Among all the dual type starters, this stands out uniquely among all of them. The only reason for that is simple: When Electric moves hit it, it says: "It doesn't affect Swampert...". Simple as that.

EV Spread: Like Florges, this has nearly the same EV Spread like mine (16 SpD is replaced by 16 Atk to boost Earthquake's powers), mixed with a Relaxed Nature to negate Gyro Ball even better than usual.

Move Selection: Scald is my special STAB, which takes on a lot of threats (I might replace it with Ice Beam instead to hit Zygarde; just tell me if I should), and Earthquake is my physical STAB, taking on threats such as Raikou, Empoleon, etc. Stealth Rock needs 0% explanation, since every team needs this. Finally, I chose Roar to: make it play along Stealth Rock, meaning that my opponents get forced switches & to break set-up sweepers such as SubCoil Zygarde and SubPunch Chesnaught.

Roles: Swampert is my hazard setter, my VoltTurn wall (it prevents Volt Switch), my T-Wave blocker, & physical wall.

chandelure.jpg

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

Flash Fire is one of the most interesting abilities in Pokemon. It provides Fire neutralization and Fire booster to whoever holds it, and Heatran is the best example in OU. Upon moving to UU, Chandelure then became my substitute option, and with Ghost typing, it further provides Chandie with both Normal and Fighting neutralization.

EV Spread: Max speed and Max Sp Attack guarantee this Pokemon speed and strength with the combination of Choice Specs.

Moves: Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are its 2 STABs for this set, although I opt more for Fire Blast, especially once I get a Flash Fire boost. Energy Ball provides it coverage to Pokemon such as Suicune and Swampert, and also works well with Choice Specs. Finally, trick stops things such as CurseLax, CroCune, and other set-up creeps from literally setting up.

Roles: Chandelure is my special attacker, spin-blocker, and Trickster.

mienshao.jpg

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Knock Off
-U-turn
-Stone Edge

Mienshao is a pseudo-MegaCham in UU. Like Medicham in OU, it has access to moves such as Fake Out, High Jump Kick, etc., but I can say that Mienshao is better than Medicham in terms of reliable recovery, access to U-turn, and more.

EV Spread: Max speed and Max attack with Jolly Nature makes it an answer to faster threats like Aerodactyl-Mega, Beedrill-Mega, etc.

Moves: High Jump Kick is its obligatory STAB move, which will be used only when it already could clean up the field. Knock Off detaches lots of critical items from opposing Pokemon, and also serves as an answer to Psychic and Ghost types. U-turn needs to be clicked most of the time to get momentum and recovery for this Pokemon as well, and Stone Edge deals with Beedrill-Mega, if ever it still shows up its stupid face.

Roles: Mienshao is my team's win condition, Scarf attacker, and my wallbreaker.

Threats:

• Nidoking/Nidoqueen. With only 1 counter to it (Swampert), it becomes a hard threat to deal with once Swampert is gone.
  • Beedrill-Mega. Making misplays on my case could make Beedrill a big thing to deal with.

So, thanks for reading my forum. Be sure to leave a like, and try to suggest some ways on how I can improve my team. For now, goodbye!

Importable:

Ampharos (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Crobat (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Defog

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

Mienshao (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey, this is a pretty cool team you have here. The biggest change I can make is put Roost over Taunt on Crobat. Roost helps Crobat do it's job again and again. Also, change Crobat's EVs to the set below. Finally change Chandulures nature to Modest as it should be used as a wallbraker. Other than that solid team :]

Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Defog
- Roost

Last edited:
Blackraven

Thanks for the EV spread on Crobat. I'll be noting that down later. I think yeah, Roost could be the better option there.

As for Chandelure, I'll also change it again to Modest. I once had trouble with Modest Chand, but I feel like you're right. I'll do the same.

Other than that, thanks for the suggestions.

Personally, I've got nothing for you in terms of changing moves or anything, but maybe you could run Infiltrator Chandelure instead of Flash Fire since nobody in their right mind will try hitting it with a fire-type attack. It'd help to bypass the SubScreen set that I've personally seen a lot of, if you start to run into that, and with trick you can cripple people setting up behind subs anyways.

Kodi Well that seems to be a good idea. Getting the troll on SubChesnaught is really going to hurt a lot. I guess that's also applicable enough. Thanks.

Hey what's up man, this looks like a really good balance team. I just have a few minor suggestions to help you out:

First thing is that you should be running 44 speed on Ampharos. The 44 Speed EV's allow you to outspeed uninvested base 50's like Donphan, and Diancie, as well as the odd speed tiered Hippowdon. Next if you do decide to replace taunt on Crobat you should change your Chandelure to a Sub CM Chandy so that you can deal with stall better since you will be losing your stall breaker. Sub CM Chandy is really good, setting up on things like Blissey and Florges which are pretty common mons on Balance/Stall which opens up big avenues for Chandy to punch holes in opposing teams for your other sweepers. Also before I get too far ahead of myself, I disagree with Blackraven about the Crobat spread; you should be running at least 200 Speed on Bat so that you can outspeed max speed timid Noivern. Noivern isn't too common now, but getting outsped by something that you should normally beat is never fun, and 200 speed also beats Mega Pidgeot as well.

Last 2 suggestions I have for you are: Reckless over Regenerator on Mienshao and a spread of 252 HP/232 def/24+ on Florges. Since you're not running a life orb, Reckless is necessary to have on Mienshao to get that extra oomph on HJK. Mienshao is too frail really to take any hits and is more of a hit and run mon so Regnerator isn't needed since the extra HP won't make much of a difference in the long run. The spread on Florges is just a standard mixed defensive spread that better maximizes your overall bulk.

Here's some calcs if you're not convinced to go Reckless
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 262-309 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 313-370 (97.2 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- 19.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 162-192 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So yeah that's everything I have to say haha. Hope I helped! Gl in future battles :]

Hairy Toenail

I'm really convinced about the fact that you justified your Reckless Mienshao calculations. I'm quite convinced about that.

Shall I keep 216 Speed? Well since I rely on 2 fast U-turners, yeah. I'll keep it as is.

What moveset is for SubCM Chands?

44 Speed is unnecessary, as you would end up bringing another Pokemon in if ever Donphan becomes the switch-in, or Hippowdon.

Anyway, thanks!

Last edited:
Hairy Toenail

I'm really convinced about the fact that you justified your Reckless Mienshao calculations. I'm quite convinced about that.

Shall I keep 216 Speed? Well since I rely on 2 fast U-turners, yeah. I'll keep it as is.

What moveset is for SubCM Chands?

44 Speed is unnecessary, as you would end up bringing another Pokemon in if ever Donphan becomes the switch-in, or Hippowdon.

Anyway, thanks!
216 speed is fine on bat, I actually use that speed quite a bit to outspeed other 200 speed bats or other bats trying to creep the 200 speed ones.

Here's the Chandelure set:

Chandelure @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Edit: Forgot to mention that the spread is so that Florges' uninvested moonblast will never break your sub

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)