Unofficial Metagames AG - Double Stakataka Trick Room (New Peak at #7)

Double Stakataka Trick Room

Introduction
Hey everyone, my name is Delibird Heart :) Ever since I started playing pokemon competitively, I always had a thing for Trick Room teams. So naturally, when I started playing Anything Goes, I immediately tried making one for the tier. However, I was met with relatively poor results as Trick Room's usual flaws of being quite predictable and needing turns to set up TR were even more apparent in a tier with an extremely fast-paced meta such as AG. Usual Trick Room mons such as Cresselia or Mega-Slowbro were far too passive for the tier and I had a really hard time climbing any higher than 1700. I then gave up on it for a long time, (deciding to play semi-stall instead which got me #5 once) until recently, when I tried making a TR team with a much more offensive approach as before, and ended up peaking at #10 in the ladder.
EDIT 19/04/2019 : Reached a new peak at #7 (1934 ELO)

19/04/2019 New Peak :

In the last few days, some people have been asking me for my team, so I decided I might as well make a RMT. So without further ado, let's get into the team's in-depth analysis :

In-depth analysis

Mew @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt / Overheat
- Explosion​

Unless I see Yveltal or Tapu Koko on team preview (which are known for often carrying Taunt), I always lead with mew. Focus Sash guarantees that I can at least get Trick Room + SR / Explosion off, allowing me to prepare the terrain for my other mons. It's a very good suicide lead, and I prefer it other Uxie simply because its explosion deals more damage than Uxie's. The EV spread is pretty straightforward, maximizing Explosion damage and bulk so some mons (defensive Arceus variants for example) will only 3HKO mew, thus allowing me to set up SR on the first turn out so I don't waste a TR turn to set them up. Taunt is useful against Smeargle leads or Arceus trying to defog your rocks although you can also run Overheat for Ferro. Once SR and TR are up, just go boom to soften up the opposing mon, putting it in kill range for the other mons.

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings @ Lunalium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Moongeist Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem Calm Mind
- Trick Room​

Dawn Wings Necrozma is an extremely potent special attacker, 2HKOing almost everything that doesn't resist its double stab combo. Power gem allows you to get past Ho-Oh with ease and 2HKO most Yveltal variants if he attemps to switch in. Once again, the EV spread is straightforward, maximizing bulk and damage. The Z-move is extremely powerful and allows you to OHKO even the bulkier mons such as PDon, POgre and Ferro if rocks are up. Dawn Wings' impressive bulk also allows it to live MRay's Draco Ascent or Dusk Mane Necrozma's Searing Sunraze Smash from full life. If TR is up and counters and checks such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal or Marshadow have already been dealt with, this mon can single-handedly sweep most teams.

EDIT 19/04/2019 :
The reason I ran Power Gem on Dawn Wings was to deal with opposing Ho-Ohs and Yveltals easier. However, this meant that the team had trouble breaking through defensive mons such as Spdef Ferro, Spdef Celesteela and defensive Arceus formes. With Calm Mind, Dawn Wings becomes an even more effective wallbreaker and a potential endgame sweeper, setting up on the aforementioned problematic mons. Besides, running Calm Mind means it should still be able to deal with Ho-Oh on its own and using Power Gem to try and get rid of Yveltal was risky because most of them tend to run Sucker Punch, so it required more predictions to hit it on the switch in, which led to some uncomfortable situations for me in case of failed predicts. Running Calm Mind makes this set more threatening and effective overall.

Magearna @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Heart Swap/HP Fire
- Trick Room​

Magearna's role is almost identical to Dawn Wings: Its an extremely potent special attacker which can sweep entire teams provided that counters and checks such as Dawn Wings, Primal Groudon or Arceus-Steels have been dealt with, and its bulk allows it to live most neutral hits and set up TR relatively safely. Life Orb maximizes damage dealt, and while running leftovers to take advantage of Magearna's bulk can be an option, it can make you miss some crucial kills and doesn't fit well with the team's extremely offensive playstyle. Heart Swap is an extremely interesting move, allowing you to take advantage of would be enemy set up Sweepers (particularly calm mind Arceus / Pogre or Geo Xern) and to use Fleur Cannon's Spdef drop to your advantage by passing it to the opposing mon before resuming sweeping, althought you can also run HP fire to deal with the dreaded Ferrothorn more effectively. Magearna can easily take care of Yveltal or Darckeus for Dawn Wings, which in turn can take care of Dusk Mane and even Celesteela or Arceus Steel if it hasnt used its Z-Move yet, thus they work well together.

EDIT 19/04/2019 :
While running Iapapa Berry over Life Orb makes you lose a fair bit of power, it also allows Magearna to check Marshadow (which is easily the biggest threat this team faces) more reliably by making it able to switch into Spectral Thief or Close Combat more than once. It's also really useful vs CM Arceuses or Geomancy Xerneas since it allows you to tank one attack, steal their boosts with Heart Swap and recover your health, thus making sure you can sweep back with the aforementioned stolen boosts.

Stakataka @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Magnet Rise / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Trick Room
Stakataka is easily the best mon on the team (that's why I have two of him lol). Its main stab Gyro Ball hits everything extremely hard, 2HKOing even mons that resist it at +1 after a Beast Boost boost, meaning that almost nothing can safely switch in on it. Lonely nature and 14 defense IVs ensure that beast boost increases Stakataka's attack after it kills something instead of its defense. Even then, Stakataka has incredible physical bulk, allowing it to take V-Create from MRay or Searing Sunraze Smash from offensive Dusk Mane variants if its full life and easily beating SD Ghostceus even if it carries Brick Break. The Air Balloon Stakataka completely stops MRay, and to a lesser extent Normalceus, setting up TR on the turn it needs to pop its balloon before destroying it with a Gyro Ball. The Life Orb one is often used to soften up the enemy team before the Air Balloon one sweeps in the endgame. Here are some calcs to better illustrate Stakataka's capabilities :

vs Mega Rayquaza

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 213-252 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza-Mega: 408-480 (116.2 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza-Mega: 271-319 (77.2 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Stakataka can tank even Adamant LO V-Create and always OHKOes after V-Create/Draco Ascent's defense drop. With rock damage, even unboosted Gyro is a guaranteed kill.

vs Arceuses

Normalceus​
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 232-274 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Arceus Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 48-57 (14.7 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO

Ghostceus​
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ghost: 231-273 (60.6 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Arceus-Ghost Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 184-220 (56.4 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Arceus-Ghost Shadow Force vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 220-261 (67.4 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fairyceus​
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 240 HP / 180+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 362-428 (82 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 75-88 (23 - 26.9%) -- 45.2% chance to 4HKO

Steelceus​
252+ Atk Stakataka Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 206-244 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Plate Arceus-Steel Judgment vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 184-217 (56.4 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Not gonna give calcs for every variant as other ones are either almost unrelevant in the AG metagame or run the same spreads/moves as the formes cited above)
As you can see, Stakataka beats most Arceus variants one on one (bar Arceus-Water and Arceus-Ground) if they don't carry will-o-wisp or run 252 def with bold nature.

vs Dusk Mane Necrozma

252+ Atk Stakataka Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 147-174 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 165-195 (49.1 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 112-133 (34.3 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 225-265 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Searing Sunraze Smash vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 225-265 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

After a Beast Boost, DM Necrozma cannot switch in on Stakataka anymore as even Gyro threatens to 2HKO it. Meanwhile, DM struggles to take down Stakataka if it doesn't have Earthquake (or if it hasn't popped its air balloon).

vs Ultra Necrozma

252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Necrozma-Ultra: 279-328 (83 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Necrozma-Ultra Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 117-138 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Necrozma-Ultra Light That Burns the Sky vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 234-276 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

yeah this thing gets bopped pretty hard

vs Primal Groudon

+1 252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Stakataka Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Stakataka Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka in Harsh Sunshine: 156-184 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

One of the few physical mons Stakataka actually has trouble dealing with (given calcs are for offensive PDons but you have an even harder time vs more defensive ones). However keep in mind that PDon is very vulnerable to chip damage so its likely to get worn down in the game and fall into KO range before Stakataka comes into play.

vs Yveltal

Defensive​
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 180+ Def Yveltal: 214-253 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Stakataka Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 180+ Def Yveltal: 288-338 (63.2 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 136-162 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Offensive​
252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 283-334 (72 - 84.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Stakataka Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 378-446 (96.1 - 113.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 247-292 (75.7 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neither Defensive or Offensive Yveltal variants pose a threat to Stakataka as defensive variants will struggle to 2HKO with foul play while falling to stone edge and offensive variants get straight up OHKOed by Stone Edge or Gyro + rocks damage.

Too lazy right now to add calcs for the LO Stakataka but I'm sure you can figure it out for yourselves (about 20% more dmg for every move)

EDIT 19/04/2019 :
Now I know this might seem like a stupid meme, but Magnet Rise actually allows the Life Orb Stakataka to deal with bulky SD Arceus, Dusk Mane Necrozma and PDon on its own. Because these mons do not risk being OHKoed by Stakataka even at +1 they could easily revenge kill it, even if TR was up. However now I just click Magnet Rise, dodging whatever ground move they throw at me and proceed to resume sweeping as Fire Punch/Sunsteel Strike (or even Searing Sunraze Smash)/whatever coverage move that particuliar Arceus carries fails to KO it on the next turn while I am assured to 2HKO them back.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Extreme Speed
A standard scarf MRay to give this team some much needed speed control. This can force out mons that prevent me to set TR back up (fast taunters like Yveltal or annoying mons like Ferro and Celesteela) and make some big holes in the enemy teams so the other mons can sweep. I chose Naughty over Hasty to threaten defensive Arceuses attempting to switch in on MRay. Draco Meteor is there to surprise Zygarde on the switch, ESpeed cause the team lacks priority. There honestly isn't much to say about it, except that it helps dealing with mons the rest of the team has problems with (especially Marshadow).

Threats
Marshadow - The team has 3 pokemons that are 4x weak to Marshadow's STABs. Switch in Magearna on Shadow Sneak/Spectral Thief if Marsh attempts to revenge kill Dawn Wings and switch in MRay on Close Combat if Marsh attempts to revenge kill Stakataka and TR is down.

Ferrothorn - Extremely annoying, try to not set TR up until this thing dies because it will "outslow" all your mons and be a general pain in the ass. A little less troublesome now that I run CM on Dawn Wings, but still potentially really annoying.

Xerneas - When facing Xern, keep Magearna healthy at all costs to avoid getting swept. If magearna is alive though, you should have no problem dealing with it.

Mega-Gengar - Once TR ends, this can come out and easily trap and kill one of your mons if you're not careful. As long as its alive, make sure TR doesn't end with Dawn Wings or Stakataka out. Even worse if it carries taunt.

Supportceus formes that are not weak to any of the team's attacks (Waterceus, Normalceus mostly) - You'll have to try and set up CM with Dawn Wings to be able to bypass these. If it dies, you're pretty much screwed unless your opponent makes a major mistake (letting Stakataka get a Beast Boost or switching into MRay carelessly)

Replays
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Pokevana vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Edgar Allan Poem vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Edgar Allan Poem vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: pulsar512b vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Sets vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: bobjoejuan vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: bobjoejuan vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Zenithial vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Zenithial ❤ vs. MRay Stall - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. The Dementator - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. alex is ag l o l - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. velvet blood - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. agltray fard - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. AGLTRay MDB - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. default0 - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. AGLTRay Skarpherim - Pokémon Showdown
[Gen 7] Anything Goes replay: Stakataka TR vs. FwuffieMareep - Pokémon Showdown

(note : some of these replays might feature slight variations of the team, such as Fairyceus > Mag)

Importable
Here you go, hope you'll have fun playing with this team :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Cool Team I would like to make a suggestion

---->

I honestly find uxie to be more reliable than mew , it is bulkier so it can run mental herb and is able to set up tr reliably, also memento is insanely helpful and I honestly prefer it over explosion

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

Last edited:
Cool Team I would like to make a suggestion

View attachment 170018---->View attachment 170017

I honestly find uxie to be more reliable than mew , it is bulkier so it can run mental herb and is able to set up tr reliably, also memento is insanely helpful and I honestly prefer it over explosion

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
I tried playing with Uxie for a little bit, and honestly it has its advantages, like being fairly bulkier than Mew and having access to Magic Coat and Memento, but honestly I still prefer mew, just because taunt is way too useful sometimes (especially in stall matchups) and I still prefer starting off the match by dealing some damage to a mon, potentially putting it in kill range of something else because the team is extremely offensive but does not rely on setting up so I feel memento is kinda underwhelming there. I'm not saying Uxie is bad by any means, but I guess mew just fits my playstyle more, or maybe I'm just not used to it. Thanks a lot for your input though :)

Thanks to some small changes to the team, I just reached a new peak at 1934 ELO and #7 on the ladder !

Here are the changes I've made to the team :

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings @ Lunalium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Moongeist Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem Calm Mind
- Trick Room
The reason I ran Power Gem on Dawn Wings was to deal with opposing Ho-Ohs and Yveltals easier. However, this meant that the team had trouble breaking through defensive mons such as Spdef Ferro, Spdef Celesteela and defensive Arceus formes. With Calm Mind, Dawn Wings becomes an even more effective wallbreaker and a potential endgame sweeper, setting up on the aforementioned problematic mons. Besides, running Calm Mind means it should still be able to deal with Ho-Oh on its own and using Power Gem to try and get rid of Yveltal was risky because most of them tend to run Sucker Punch, so it required more predictions to hit it on the switch in, which led to some uncomfortable situations for me in case of failed predicts.

Magearna @ Life Orb Iapapa Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Heart Swap/HP Fire
- Trick Room​

While running Iapapa Berry over Life Orb makes you lose a fair bit of power, it also allows Magearna to check Marshadow (which is easily the biggest threat this team faces) more reliably by making it able to switch into Spectral Thief or Close Combat more than once. It's also really useful vs CM Arceuses or Geomancy Xerneas since it allows you to tank one attack, steal their boosts with Heart Swap and recover your health, thus making sure you can sweep back with the aforementioned stolen boosts.

Stakataka @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Magnet Rise / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Trick Room​

Now I know this might seem like a meme, but Magnet Rise actually allows the Life Orb Stakataka to deal with bulky SD Arceus, Dusk Mane Necrozma and PDon on its own. Because these mons do not risk being OHKoed by Stakataka even at +1 they could easily revenge kill it, even if TR was up. However now I just click Magnet Rise, dodging whatever ground move they throw at me and proceed to resume sweeping as Fire Punch/Sunsteel Strike (or even Searing Sunraze Smash)/whatever coverage move that particuliar Arceus carries fails to KO it on the next turn while I am assured to 2HKO them back.

I'll be adding these changes to the OP right away.

Last edited:
One thing you can rule out completely is magearna because what I’m seeing here is a weakness to waterceus and primal groudon specifically ones with fire blast. Now, what I would do in this situation to at least lessen this weakness of yours is to replace magearna with either Arceus fairy, because you also experience pressure from any opposing marshadow, or Arceus-water because of the whole weakness to primal groudon that I am looking at over here. Overall, it does look like your typical Ag trick room team and there are things needed to be changed and I’m sure you already had comments about that. Anyway, I think adding one of these two Arceus forms would benefit you in the long run when laddering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)