A New Toy to Use ! ( OU Team peaked 1600+ on Showdown )

Hi everybody ! I'm back for a brand new team. As my title says, it has been quite effective on PS and I'm still rising on the ladder. After I gave LC Tier a try, I decided to go back to my first love : the classic OU Tier.

But I already used a lot of mons in the tier and after LC ( which was so fun btw ! ), I wanted to find new good teammates, to test new cores... So I created some teams, a Trick Room one, a HO, ... Some of them were good, others very bad... I even dared to test a Baton Pass Team ! And it was in this team that I discovered my new "toy" : Vaporeon.

EDIT: Unfortunately, my first team was too weak against major top threats like BD Azumarill, Pinsir, Alakazam... So I had to change it a little. This is what I have now :

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

First part of my VenuTran core, Heatran is a great check to a lot of things, especially special sweepers. With the combo Lava Plume / Toxic, it's very easy to get my opponent statused and then stall with him or another member of my team. Heatran is also my SR setter and Roar can be useful against set up sweepers, sub pokes, baton pass teams or even to do passive damages with SR. Heatran big weaknesses are EQ, Earth Power, Water and Fighting moves. So I needed a poke that can resist all these types, so I got :

-->

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 232 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

My mega and the second part of my VenuTran Core. This thing is sooo bulky ! Leech Seed, Giga Drain and Synthesis allow me to have big recovery and to stall my opponents to death. Sludge Bomb is just here to have a great STAB, to deal easily with Fairy types and to get my opponent poisonned sometimes... M-Venusaur can wall many pokes, is a good check to Knock Off users and a good Choice Band Azumarill check. About his ability, Chlorophyll is better than Overgrow if I can use opposing M-Charizard Y sun...

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind

As my VenuTran core is very weak to Pinsir, I needed a counter for it. After some suggestions, even if I don't like Skarmory at all ( don't ask me why, I just don't like him... ). This set is pretty classic. BB to have a good STAB even if recoil can be sometimes annoying. Roost for big recovery, Defog to get Hazards off from my field. I'm not sure about the last move : Whirlwind or Spikes ? I thought Spikes would be useless if I also have Defog. I don't want to use 2 or more turns to set up SR and one or two layers of spikes to see them leaving the field some turns after... So I chose Whirlwind. Actually, I don't like him because I find he can't do big damages by himself, he is just good to stall a physical sweeper which is toxic or burn IMO. But as nearly every physical sweepers won't try to touch this guy because of Rocky Helmet... It's here that I find Whirlwind useful : my opponent's mons will take damages from SR... And it is here that I miss Spikes... So help about this mon will be very welcome !

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

My cleric and answer to BD Azumarill. Unaware is very useful against set up sweepers. This set is also pretty classic : Moonblast to have a STAB and to be not totally weak to Taunt. Wish to heal him or the other members of my team, Protect to be sure I will survive during the turn before Wish activates and to stall a little sometimes, Heal Bell to cure status. It's also a good check to Conkeldurr or Scraggy if Venusaur is not here anymore.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

My physical sweeper and Knock Off user. His main function is to kill Chansey/Blissey, Gengar, Special Aegislash and to break walls. I didn't have any priority so Mach Punch is quite obvious, Drain Punch for STAB and recovery, Knock Off to get rid of my opponent's annoying items and Ice Punch to deal with Landorus-Therian and Gliscor. Repart and Assault Vest are for maximize bulk and Guts to make him a good status absorber.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Venusaur and Conkeldurr are very weak to Psychic types. So I was looking for a Dark type poke and I thought to this guy. Priority burn and Taunt are just amazing, Recover for... recovery ( quite obvious I know ) and Foul Play to punish physical sweepers who try to switch in ( if I predict well ) or who try to set up in front of him. His ghost type is also very useful when I predict a Fighting move coming against Heatran. So it is very easy to make him switch in. I also use him against Deoxys-S or Deoxys-D that I couldn't counter without him.

Past members :

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Thank you for reading and don't hesitate to tell me what you think about my team, from the idea to the movesets and even to the teammate's choice !

Last edited:
Vaporeon is another good choice to check talonflame instead of the classic and boring rotom-w. Good idea ^^

I think that mega venu with all evs in phisical defence is useless, you've already two good phisical defenders (gliscor & vaporeon). You can try to give these evs : 204 HP / 72 Def / 232 SpD (Sassy / Calm nature).

To recover an extra hp with lefties on heatran you must give 248 evs in HP.

I think that the set of tias is a bit strange, but inserted in this team it seems work. Have you any problems with tom-w or not?

Probably Pinsir can give you some problems if it dances.
If you had problems with it you can try to use skarmory > gliscor with brave bird, so you give EQ > HP fire on mega venu (You've already a move fire with heatran)

Edit: I forgot something XD

If you give giga drain > leech seed on mega venu you can give roost on latias instead of energy ball

Last edited:
Thank you Axily !

I changed Heatran's EVs in HP. It will be better like this you're right.

Rotom is not a big threat as Conkeldurr can deal very easily with it, Venusaur and Latias can also kill him if he's not full HP.

About Venusaur, after a few tests, I think I will go with Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Calm Nature and the EVs Repart you told me. HP Fire was quite useless since I don't have a lot of problem with Scizor and Ferrothorn ( Heatran is a perfect counter to both of them ).

As Venusaur will have Giga Drain, I will give Roost to Latias for sure. I thought I needed the recovery but I didn't know how to fit it in my moveset.

As you said, Pinsir is a big big threat to my team. I just can't deal with him. My only issue is to Toxic him with Gliscor and to switch between my Protect users, leading them to death. And if it dances, I can say gg. I will test Skarmory but I have never been a fan of him and I think I will miss Toxic and the amazing Sub+Protect combo.

Other big threats : Alakazam and Gengar => OHKO Heatran with Focus Blast ; OHKO Latias with Shadow Ball most of the time ; OHKO Venusaur with Psyshock ; OHKO Conkeldurr with the same moves ; 2HKO ( or maybe OHKO idk ) Vaporeon with Energy Ball ; and 2HKO or OHKO Gliscor with Shadow Ball for example.

I feel that Venusaur is the weak link of my team ( Psychic and Flying types are too common and I can't deal very easily with them ) So if you have another idea to counter Pinsir, Gengar and Alakazam...

EDIT: I forgot to say that Belly Drum Azumarill is also quite a big threat to my team if he manages to set up safely. Ideas about it ?

Last edited:
Azumarill drummer with s rock setted is anoyed if you shuffle a bit with heatran and mega venu can stop it.

If you had a lot of problems with stat uppers and with gengar and alakazam you can try to use unaware clefable

Hi Axily !

I was also thinking to replace Vaporeon with Unaware Clefable. Both can be very good Cleric and Wisher. I'm still testing and I think I will miss Vaporeon which was the first idea of my team but Clefable seems to be better unfortunately...

Also, I think I will change Psyshock for Thunderbolt on Latias to hit Pinsir very hard and maybe giving him Life Orb over Leftovers to have more power ( even if I will miss the recovery for sure... ). Tell me what you think please.

I think you should give Life Orb to your Latias but don't change Psyshock with Thunderbolt , it's a very important STAB that it's very useful to Knock Out dangerous pokémon like Conkeldurr . If you want to use Thunderbolt you cannot use also Defog , because Thunderbolt is used in a totally offensive Choice Scarf or Choice Specs Latios/Latias . This is an Example:

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Trick
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

I'm Sorry but you should change Vaporeon to an Eviolite Chansey (if you can predict Knock Off) or Blissey if you can't , they are better Wish / Aromatherapy users . Venusaur-mega will keep you safe by Knock Off , because Knock off doesn't work on Mega Stones . I think you must use a totally defensive Venusaur for totally be safe from Phisical Attacks. Chansey / Blissey will keep you safe from Special Attacks and also from some Phisical Attacks:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave / Protect (If you also use Wish)
- Soft-Boiled / Wish

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Wish / Soft-Boiled (If you also use Thunder wave)
- Protect / Thunder Wave

i hope you can reach 1700-1800+ ;)

Last edited:
Hi Adrima!
In my opinion you shouldn't modify the evs of venusaur again unless you sub vaporeon for clefable.
Paralux I think that chansey & Blissey can give some problems with other conkeldurr and stat uppers. They gives problems with mega pinsir again.
If you wanna have more offense power you can sub latias for latios but I think that the scarf is a dangerous choice cause the teams NEEDS defog. Thunderbolt I think is useless. Psyshock is terrible for other mega venusaur.
Another thing: You can stop gengar and kazam with conkeldurr and its knock off.

I think that the team now is very good ^^
If you want other suggestions you can post other reply or contact me with a pm.

Last edited:
Hi Adrima!
In my opinion you shouldn't modify the evs of venusaur again unless you sub vaporeon for clefable.
Paralux I think that chansey & Blissey can give some problems with other conkeldurr and stat uppers. They gives problems with mega pinsir again.
If you wanna have more offense power you can sub latias for latios but I think that the scarf is a dangerous choice cause the teams NEEDS defog. Thunderbolt I think is useless. Psyshock is terrible for other mega venusaur.
Another thing: You can stop gengar and kazam with conkeldurr and its knock off.

I think that the team now is very good ^^
If you want other suggestions you can post other reply or contact me with a pm.
Then why not change Gliscor with Skarmory? He can also use a Defog Skarmory if he want .

Thank you Puralux and Axily for your replies !

About Chansey/Blissey, I tested both with Skarmory and they didn't fit the team at all. So sorry Puralux but I won't change Vaporeon for one of them.

But after some test, Unaware Clefable is very useful against Belly Drum Azumarill and other set up sweepers. So I think I will go with him instead of Vaporeon... even if I will miss him :/

And about Mega-Venusaur, as it's a true niche to some sweepers like Pinsir, I think I will replace him with Mega-Banette. Why ? Because priority WoW and Destiny Bond is too good. I think it will help me to kill big threats to my team easily. Can you tell what you think guys ?

EDIT: It's true that Conkeldurr can deal with Gengar but not with Alakazam ( Psyshock OHKO him ) ;)

What? Mega banette instead of Mega Venusaur? are you Serious?
Mega Venusaur is a Check for a lot of Pokèmon , Unaware Clefable is good only in Hard Stall teams.
Mega Banette it's not Good on OU because it has low Defenses , if you want a Ghost type then Bulky Sableye it's better , but don't replace it on Venusaur!
If they didn't fit the team at all... then replace Conkeldurr with Bisharp! I think you didn't use Skarmory with the Right evs and moves , this is one of the best:

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SpDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Defog / Spikes / Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Last edited:
I think it could be very useful and with protect (that's indispensable to mega evolve and get to work prankster) to scout opposing sets, but if you insert it you could hace some problems with tom-w and others bulky water / ground types. But with D- Bond it's hard to stop without powerful priorities.
But if you have already replaced Vapo with clafable aegislash could give problems...

I think it could be very useful and with protect (that's indispensable to mega evolve and get to work prankster) to scout opposing sets, but if you insert it you could hace some problems with tom-w and others bulky water / ground types. But with D- Bond it's hard to stop without powerful priorities.
But if you have already replaced Vapo with clafable aegislash could give problems...
All Steel type moves can give problems to an Unaware Clefable , like the Iron Head of an Excadrill

Puralux

Sorry but I know how to play Skarmory and which set is better for him. And yours isn't even the best. Counter is quite useless as physical sweepers wouldn't even try to hit him ( they would take more damages than Skarmory due to Rocky Helmet ). But it's not the matter here so I will go back to my team.

Replacing Mega-Venusaur with Mega-Banette isn't stupid at all IMO. Priority Burn and Destiny Bond are very useful to deal with my team's threats like Pinsir, Azumarill... I would have chosen Sableye instead of him but Destiny Bond is too useful and I would have too many Fairy weaknesses in my team so...

Axily

Don't worry, I always use Protect on M-Banette ;) And it is even more useful in this team because it can win a free turn to Burn/Toxic stall !
You're right about Aegislash... I didn't fight one since I use M-Banette but it will be a new threat to my team...

I don't have a lot of time now because of school exams next week but I will work hard on this team after.

Puralux

Sorry but I know how to play Skarmory and which set is better for him. And yours isn't even the best. Counter is quite useless as physical sweepers wouldn't even try to hit him ( they would take more damages than Skarmory due to Rocky Helmet ). But it's not the matter here so I will go back to my team.

Replacing Mega-Venusaur with Mega-Banette isn't stupid at all IMO. Priority Burn and Destiny Bond are very useful to deal with my team's threats like Pinsir, Azumarill... I would have chosen Sableye instead of him but Destiny Bond is too useful and I would have too many Fairy weaknesses in my team so...

Axily

Don't worry, I always use Protect on M-Banette ;) And it is even more useful in this team because it can win a free turn to Burn/Toxic stall !
You're right about Aegislash... I didn't fight one since I use M-Banette but it will be a new threat to my team...

I don't have a lot of time now because of school exams next week but I will work hard on this team after.
Yeah , it's stupid , because Venusaur can check lot of pokèmon and keep safe by Knock Off . Mega banette is useless because is outclassed by Sableye , also you can easily predict the Destiny Bond . If you can use skarmory you must be good at predicts , i think you are not good to use Skarmory , maybe because you need to be good at Predicts .

OK I don't know what to answer to this so I think I won't answer anything...

I'm very happy to get some helps on this team but Puralux, if you don't agree with my choices, can you explain me with calcs and more words than "Mega-Banette is useless". Just because it is not. And please stop saying I'm a noob because you don't know me at all so you don't have any proof. That is said.

I would be very happy to get some help from other people with good ideas. So feel free to comment !

OK I don't know what to answer to this so I think I won't answer anything...

I'm very happy to get some helps on this team but Puralux, if you don't agree with my choices, can you explain me with calcs and more words than "Mega-Banette is useless". Just because it is not. And please stop saying I'm a noob because you don't know me at all so you don't have any proof. That is said.

I would be very happy to get some help from other people with good ideas. So feel free to comment !
I'm not saying that you are a noob -.- . I just said that you maybe aren't good at predicts . Ok , then why not see the rate that you will have with Mega Banette instead of Mega Venusaur? :D . However , also i would be happy that others people would comment this thread .

OK I will fix that, but not today. Tomorrow I think ^^

I'm still testing some things, trying to keep as much pokes of this team as I can but it's difficult ( and as I said I don't have a lot of time this week... ) If I find something that works, you will be told the first !

Good team. Consider Knock Off over Foul Play for Sableye. In my experience, most physical mons won't switch in to a Sableye. They fear the shit out of that burn.

Thanks POk3mon for your reply !

Why not... But I already have this move on Conkeldurr and I don't want to allow free switches to pokes that have already lost their items. I will test but I'm not convinced...

Other ideas ? I feel this team can be still improve a lot !

Thanks POk3mon for your reply !

Why not... But I already have this move on Conkeldurr and I don't want to allow free switches to pokes that have already lost their items. I will test but I'm not convinced...

Other ideas ? I feel this team can be still improve a lot !

EDIT: Thinking to switch Clefable to Eviolite Chansey ( classic set ) so I could give Heatran Protect for example to stall better. Eviolite Chansey is far much bulky and I fell I need more Special Defense. What do you think about it ? Should I do this ?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)