A Homefield Advantage, West Canada Regional Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The first Canadian regionals, huh... things sure have come a long way from Canadians not being eligable for playing at Pokemon events.

Team:

Politoed ***Asclepius
IVs: 31/11/20/31/31/31
Timid

Ludicolo ***Klarwind
IVs: 30/23/31/31/31/31
Timid

Metagross ***Graf Eisen
IVs: 29/31/29/xx/31/23
Adamant

Gastrodon ***Kerykeion
IVs: 31/20/31/28/31/00
Quiet

Salamence ***RH Exelion
IVs: 23/19/31/31/31/31
Modest

Volcarona ***Solfege
IVs: 31/xx/30/30/31/27
Modest

You'll notice some of my Pokemon are the same as what I used in November. Since I may want to use the team again, I'll withhold on the EVs, Items, and moves, though some things can be probably be figured out without me saying anything. The nickname scheme is once again Nanoha related, somewhat due to me being unable to change the nicknames of 4th gen tradeforwards like Gastrodon. But that's okay, Graf Eisen and Raising Heart Exelion really get work done. Speaking of nicknames, have anyone else had their opponents ask which of your Pokemon has which name? Twice this regional and once in November, I've had someone ask me which of my Pokemon had which nickname since they didn't want to select the wrong Pokemon to attack. "by the way, for the third time, Klarwind is Ludicolo"

I would say that "Rain is falling on the field", but the weather was actually nice today in the Vancouver area, much like the battles that I had. I faced suprisingly few teams with weather control, but didn't really use Politoed too much myself, so many of the battles ended up with no weather active at all, which was a nice change of pace. Anyways, on to my battles:

Battle #1 vs. Jeese Berdell

There was a bit of time after the first pairings went up before the battles actually started, as they introduced the staff and PTOs, along with the rules and number of rounds. Juniors, Seniors, and Masters all played simultaneously. Juniors and Seniors played 5 rounds, while Masters played 6. I sat beside skarm, and apparantly both of our opponents were unfamiliar with VGC, not even knowing that the rules were double battles.

He ran an all Fighting-type team, and was flatened by Metagross and Salamence. I let him take out Metagross though instead of switching it out from a lethal attack.

3-0, 1W-0L

Battle #2 vs. Firestorm

The first, and certainly not the last time this tourney where Smogonites clashed. I faced against Firestorm. He ran a Trick Room team. After choosing my Pokemon, noticed that it was a Slowking+Gastrodon team core that I suggested in the VGC CCAT.

He led with Slowking and Hitmontop, while I started with Salamence and Metagross. First turn started with Mence being Fake'd Out, while I used Zen Headbutt to KO Hitmontop. Trick Room, subsequently got set up and Gastrodon was sent out.

I knew that he would use Surf to power up Gastrodon, so I switch out my Salamence for my own Gastrodon in order to take advantage of this. My Gastrodon takes an Ice Beam for 40% of its HP, while my Metagross deals about 45% of his with Zen Headbutt to his Gastrodon.

On the next turn, I take a risk and double target his Gastrodon, expecting that he'll take out one of mine Pokemon. However, my own Gastrodon manages to win the speed tie to KO Firestorm's as Slowking uses Surf to bring my Gastrodon to +2, and send my Metagross to about 1/4th HP. Afterwards, it was pretty much smooth sailing for my team. I proceed to use Bullet Punch and Earth Power to KO his incoming Chandelure, while my Metagross was finished off with Flamethrower. Volcarona was then sent out to finish up the battle.

3-0, 2W-0L

Battle #3 vs. Chinese Dood

After round 2, there was a lunch break for about 45 minutes. Most of us were 2-0 at this time, with a handful of us at 1-1. After the lunch break, we met up with Eraddd before the start of Round 3. He wasn't able to participate in the regionals due to having something scheduled at the time of registration, but he hung out here for a couple of hours before having to head off again.

The rough battles continue in Round 3 as I face fellow Battle Subway player Chinese Dood. His team had a number of threatening Pokemon. In our battle, he leads with Suicune and Abomasnow against my Volcarona and Salamence. I went for a gamble on the first turn, and double targetted Suicune, praying that his Abomasnow wasn't scarfed. It payed off, as he uses Protect with Abomasnow and I take out his Suicune before it moved and took the early lead. Had I failed to KO, I would have been put in a pretty bad situation, and how the battle went down could have easily been reversed. There was a critical's chance of him turning the battle near the end, when he went for an ExtremeSpeed with his Dragonite on my Volcarona, but it didn't come through and the battle ended with a Scarfed Rotom-W against a damaged Gastrodon, and Volcarona, with Ludicolo, and Salamence in the back. Rotom-W finishes off Gastrodon, with HP Grass, and I hit it with Volcarona leaving it at a sliver of its health. I then send in Ludicolo and finish it off with Fake Out.

3-0, 3W-0L

Battle #4 vs. Bidier Jing

Before my next battle, I met Owlfred, a person who signed up for Battling 202 that I had helped out. Apparantly, the Pokemon he had requested for ended up with incorrect movesets, so he was having a bit of trouble with his team. His Metagross apparantly had Explosion, but none of his Pokemon had Protect except for Tyranitar. I gave him the sound advice of leading with Metagross and Exploding it on Turn 1, and work from there. Afterwards we moved on to round 4.

My 4th opponent was Bidier, the TCG head judge, who dealt skarm his first loss of the day in round 3 due to a few bad Heat Wave misses. I was told that he had a 2011 style TR team which I could clearly confirm from the team preview. The battle was probably my most methodical victory today. I saw a Scrafty, and a Reuniclus as his only TR user. Thus, I led with Volcarona and Ludicolo.

Turn 1, Fake Out Scrafty to stop Fake Out, and Bug Buzz to KO Reuniclus.
Everything fell into place from there, as his back two are Ferrothorn and Escavalier.

4-0, 4W-0L

Battle #5 vs. Berton Bailey

This match was an interesting match for me. Berton's opponent before this battle was my brother, who was running a very similar team to the one I had.

I didn't get a very good read on his team, though I did suspect Trick Room. I lead with Ludicolo and Politoed since I was a bit concerned about the Smeargle he had. He lead with Smeargle and Dusknoir. I took out Smeargle, and he set up Trick Room. He sends out Sunflora. I switch out Politoed for Volcarona, but he Leaf Storms and KOs Ludicolo. I send back Politoed, and to my surprise, it got KO'd by a -2 Leaf Storm, as Volcarona finished off Sunflora. It was then down to Gastrodon and Volcarona vs. Dusknoir and Heatran. With a bit of prediction I managed to pull off the win.

2-0, 5W-0L

Battle #6 vs. Joel Atienza

The final battle, me and Joel are the only remaining 5-0s. He had defeated my brother in the first round, and also defeated Caffwin along the way here in the third round (I think). I've been hearing that his team runs pretty standard stuffs, and that this is actually his first time playing in VGC tourney. That's pretty impressive to go 5-0 in masters on first try. He's from the US, and looking back at the standings, even if I had lost I would still receive a plane trip and byes. But that would mean that the US took the Western Canadian Regionals, and that another Goodstuffish team won a regional, and for me that just wouldn't do.

In case he doesn't want information about his team revealed, I'll try to keep the specific details to a minimum. The battle starts off with me leading with Salamence and Volcarona, while he lead with Hitmontop and Metagross. I protect with Mence, while my volcarona gets hit with Fake Out, his Metagross tries to attack Salamence but was blocked.

I proceed to switch out Mence for my own Metagross, and I go for a Bug Buzz against his Metagross, since I expected a Wide Guard. Hitmontop indeed Wide Guards, and Metagross is hit for over half its health. Metagross attacks Volcarona, but misses. While I don't think it was vital for me that his attack missed, it pretty much sealed the battle in my favour.

The match ends with his Latios KOing my Politoed, and me finishing it off with Bullet Punch on the following turn.

2-0, 6W-0L, 1st Place

And with that, I took the 1st place at the Western Canadian Regionals for VGC, and thus 4 for 4 in winning at a Pokemon related event around the BC area, hence the title.

Chinese Dood took 4th Place with a 5-1 record, while most of the other Smogonites had 4-2 or 3-3 records, somewhat due to running into each other in earlier rounds.

After the regionals we went for dinner at Boston Pizza, and just hung out until the mall closed, I played a battle during this time.

Extra Match - FearZeCrawdaunt
I hate you Scarf Terrakion. 0-1.

Overall, I had a great time meeting everyone again. I felt that the event was run quite well and the staff were great. The competitor turnout is still nowhere close to the numbers of the regionals of old, but it may grow in due time. Still could use a bit more "Eye of the Tiger" or "Final Countdown".

A shoutout to the Vancouver Smogon crew, skarm, the UVIC Pokemon Club, and those who came up from the border to compete in the Regionals.

See you guys at the Nationals!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats man. No surprises with you taking this. I had to really mind my environment when choosing the words to express my feelings when I saw the matchup sheet for Round 2 (and 3 and 5...). Thank you for the team idea as it was super fun to use although I think I'll have to make some pretty major changes before Nationals due to the Best of 3!

Aw man Eradddd showed up! I was hanging out with TCG'ers watching the TCG top cut for most of the day and writing up a warstory so when I looked up everyone from VGC had gone for lunch and I was like... "ok..."

Congrats on another 1st place victory! Good luck at Nationals to you and Jimmy! Hopefully I'll see you there!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
congratulations man
many of us had picked you to take it all (i wanted Jason to win but this is fine too).

i'll hopefully see you and your brother in Hawaii :)

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats R Inanimate, that´s awesome!!! Nice to see a Subway fanatic win a VGC tourney. Makes me happy, honestly.

Firestorm said:
I had to really mind my environment when choosing the words to express my feelings when I saw the matchup sheet for Round 2 (and 3 and 5...)
Bwahahaha I can imagine how fuuu...nny it must´ve felt.

Hope all of you had a blast.

Hope I didn't disappoint you either, Peterko! :P

Gratz again R Inanimate! You had amazing prediction in my battle against you! Shows that you know your team very well! I didn't finish finalizing my team until 6am that morning so never actually got practice with it.

That first turn in our battle was very critical like you said. I had 3 options. Given what you did first turn, one option would have given me clear advantage. One would be about neutral. And one basically means I lost or have a low chance of winning, and I ended up choosing that one of course haha.

So I had Tailwind Suicune and Sash Abomasnow. I could 1) Protect + Blizzard (what would have been my best option given what you did), 2) Tailwind + Blizzard (neutral option), or 3) Tailwind + Protect (horrible disadvantage since you double targeted Suicune). Since my snow was sashed, I probably should have just used Blizzard. Even if you double targeted snow instead, that still wouldn't have been as bad (I'd still get tail wind up at the very least, instead of having nothing but death in first turn), so I should have done option 1 or 2, in hindsight. Heh, o well, things happen. :) I was afraid of Blizzard missing too if you switch politoed in.

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to Nats yet, but it's probable. I sort of wanted to try a new team, but not sure I'll have time or enough practice with it for Nats. We'll see!

Sally was talking to her friend (who was a TCG judge) for too long, so I didn't know where you guys went after the tournament. I would have liked to battle a bit more with you guys (like Firestorm... wanted to see what changes you made to your team lol, Caffwin's team had like 5 of the same pokemon as your Victoria team! She actually used her Zapdos in her match against me hehe). Skarm too, I never to go to battle him and I was hoping I would since we had the same win ratio for a long while. And Eradd said he wanted to battle too, but I never saw him after 4th or 5th round.

It was definitely a fun day!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would have liked to battle a bit more with you guys (like Firestorm... wanted to see what changes you made to your team lol, Caffwin's team had like 5 of the same pokemon as your Victoria team! She actually used her Zapdos in her match against me hehe).
Our teams were completely different! I used Slowking and she used Slowbro!

But yeah, the only change I made since Victoria was putting in a Kangaskhan to replace the filler Zapdos. Helps deal with ghost leads so they still have to be afraid of fake out. She had Zapdos still and wasn't supposed to pick it but ran out of time iirc so the game picked it. Also had Ferrothorn which I wasn't using as I've never been able to use it correctly myself.

Eraddd was really busy yesterday so had to run off after the fifth round. We couldn't find you after the event was over so thought you and Sally had left :(

Yeah she ran out of time picking so the game picked for her. It turned out to be a good thing she picked Zapdos though, cuz you know my team and how anti-trick room it was* (sort of anyway), so having a non-TR pokemon was actually good. I still won, but it was a bit closer than my match against you at UVic.

*Btw, it's even more anti-trick room now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)