A Dance Revolution-A Gen 5 OU warstory

---INTRODUCTION---

A few days ago I was mucking around doing some casual battling on Smogon's Pokemon Online server and I had arguably the best match in my entire pokemon battling career (sadly I couldn't get into garbage man school otherwise I would not be here typing this up). At the time I had had (lol) a really bad losing streak and my team was missing something that i couldn't quite put my finger on.

I had decided to make an entirely new team without Gliscor, no Rotom-W and absolutely no Scizor or Ferrothorn, and i ended up with two very efficient sweepers-Kingdra and Scrafty both being very underrated threats in the current meta-game. My comments will be in BOLD, weather, life orb and leftovers will be omitted after their first appearance.

My team:

Salemsectra's team:

Without further ado here's the battle:

. . . . . . . .

From the team preview I can tell this is going to be a tough match, Landorus and Excadrill can run through my team like a hot knife through butter and I decide to lead off with Darmanitan because of his good match-ups against Tyranitar, Magnezone and Reuniclus- half of his team and also that Tyranitar leads are particularly common.

Battle between Salemsectra and Cheesy started!

Tier: Standard OU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +18, -14
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Cheesy sent out Darmanitan!
Salemsectra sent out Tyranitar!
The foe's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

@ 100% (sweet...) vs. @100% (oh shit)

I can smell the sweet success of prediction wafting up my nose. I am sure that he will stay in like most people and lay Stealth Rock, and apparently switching "is for losers" according to most people and those words play through my mind also I wouldn't want to disappoint my fellow Smogonite's with my foolish ways of "running away", so I go for the Superpower hoping for the OHKO. At this point I am feeling pretty confident.

Start of turn 1
Salemsectra called Tyranitar back!
Salemsectra sent out Vaporeon!

Darmanitan used Superpower!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 40% of its health!
Darmanitan's Attack fell!
Darmanitan's Defense fell!
Darmanitan is hurt by its Life Orb!

The sandstorm rages!
Darmanitan is buffeted by the sandstorm!
The foe's Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
The foe's Vaporeon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 100% -1 Atk -1 Def (oh noes) vs. @100% (see ya, I'm off on vacation) -----> @60% (man, I am a boss)

Ouch that did a lot less than I anticipated for a LO boosted Superpower coming off a Darmanitan, but then again Vaporeon is bulky as hell. As my opponent sneers at me over the net, those thoughts replay in my head: "switching is for losers", however U-turn isn't technically switching and I decide to fire away to get in Kingdra hopefully on a resisted surf or scald as I smile at my intelligence to beat the anti-switchers club at their own game.

Start of turn 2
Darmanitan used U-turn!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 17% of its health!
Cheesy called Darmanitan back!
Cheesy sent out Kingdra!

The foe's Vaporeon used Scald!
It's not very effective...
Kingdra lost 24 HP! (8% of its health)

@90% -1 Atk -1 Def (hehehe) -----> @92%(you will not harm harry potter) vs. @43% (curses, foiled again)

Yes! I was right, Kingdra takes a meager 24hp off the scald and I wish I could see the look on Salemsectra's face right now. The Kingdra I use is a raindance sweeper mainly used to counter drought teams after Tyranitar is out of the match. At the moment I'm pretty sure I can go ahead and bring out raindance on the switch in and proceed to rape, and boy is Kingdra good at that. Best case scenario: The dreaded mole comes in to find out he has been slowed and is being faced with a rainboosted Hydro Pump.

Start of turn 3
The foe's Vaporeon used Protect!
The foe's Vaporeon protected itself!

Kingdra used Rain Dance!
It started to rain!

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's Vaporeon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@100% (sucks to be you right now...) vs. @67% (it's just not my day today is it?)

This is just getting better and better. By now I have realised that this Vappy is most likely a wish support, and I now have the momentum on my side. But while I am pondering about what to pound the switch in with I realise I don't need to. All I have to do is click Draco Meteor to demolish anything that comes in.

Start of turn 4
Kingdra used Draco Meteor!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!
Kingdra's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Kindra is hurt by it's Life Orb!

Salemsectra sent out Magnezone!

Cheesy3_3_3 leads 6-5

@93% -2 SpAtk (Whos the king now?) vs. @0% (I'm sorry, I coul... X.X)------->@100% (I demand justice for this heinous crime)

I can quite literally hear Salemsectra head banging his face onto the keyboard as his precious Vaporeon goes down under the force of a LO boosted Draco Meteor, but Salemsectra brings out his metal magnet to avenge the death of his?her? (nope, its an 'it') dear friend Vaporeon. I decide to fire off a Hydro Pump at the ugly 3 headed steel-killer as I'm pretty sure even a -2 Rain-boosted LO Stab Hydro Pump coming off a respectable 317 Spatk will put a dent in the opposing magnet's steel hull.

Start of turn 5
Kingdra used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Kingdra missed!

The foe's Magnezone used Thunderbolt!
Kingdra lost 189 HP! (64% of its health)

@29% -2Spatk (It's not looking too good for me) vs. @100% (Ha, justice will be brought)

And hax rears it's ugly head. But now focusing on Kingdra, how the hell did he pull that bulk out of his ass. I'm sure that Magnezone would have OHKO'd me clean as I have no SpDef investment whatsoever and most Magnezone's have either maxed out SpAtk or a choice scarf. As of now, I know that even a LO, rain, STAB Hydro Pump at -2 won't do much against the enemy police officer (anyone play mystery dungeon?), but I hope to put a dent in it and get in Tyranitar for free.

Start of turn 6
Kingdra used Hydro Pump!
The foe's Magnezone lost 63% of its health!

The foe's Magnezone used Thunderbolt!
Kingdra lost 3 HP! (1% of its health)

Kingdra fainted!

Rain continues to fall!

Cheesy sent out Tyranitar!

Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Tieing at 5-5

@0%( I hate the law of probability,excuse the pun) -----> @100% ( D: , why Kingdra, why) vs. @40% (I hate to say it, but I told you so)

Wow 63%, Kingdra you served me well. But moving on, as far as I know all Magnezone can do is hit me with Flash Cannon at the very best and that wont do too much against my Tar, even though he is not running any SpDef investment. My Tyranitar is currently running a Dragon Dance set, which IMO is a very underrated threat once all the Conkellderps running around are gone. So I decide to bring on the dancing.

Start of turn 7
Salemsectra called Magnezone back!
Salemsectra sent out Landorus!

Tyranitar used Dragon Dance!
Tyranitar's Attack rose!
Tyranitar's Speed rose!

The sandstorm rages!

@100% +1 Atk +1 Spd (Everyday I'm Setting-up♫) vs. @100% (you can't dance for shit, check this out- "proceeds to rape Tyranitar at a "shuffle-off")

And a fine choice I have selected, as he brings out his earth genie I get up a free DD which should now put him in the OHKO range of Stone Edge, although there has been a rise in the popularity of Scarf Landorus which could OHKO my Tar with Earthquake I decide that It's a set-up sweeper and I decide to go for the Stonedge.

Start of turn 8
Tyranitar used Stone Edge!
The foe's Landorus lost 93% of its health!

The foe's Landorus used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 342 HP! (100% of its health)

Tyranitar fainted!

The foe's Landorus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Cheesy sent out Dragonite!

Salemsectra leads 5-4

@0% (WTF just happened) -----> @100% (you just got shaken, lol I am amazing with puns) vs. @12% (Like a BOSS)

...what just happened. As the blur of text solidifies on the log bar I have suddenly realised that 1. stone edge failed to OHKO Landorus and 2. I get OHKO'd back. Later I did some damage calcs and found out that in this current situation (Landorus was substituted with Latias who has the same Def) Tyranitar could have done 90.7%-107% so roughly a 50% chance to OHKO Landorus. Now back to the match, on the positive side at least it wasn't a scarf'd landorus and I wasn't OHKO'd and I got a hit in :D... :/ . This put's Landorus in killing range for my Dragonite to pickoff with Extremespeed.

Start of turn 9
Dragonite used ExtremeSpeed!
The foe's Landorus lost 12% of its health!
The foe's Landorus fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Dragonite is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Salemsectra sent out Excadrill!

The foe's Excadrill is floating on a balloon!

Tieing at 4-4

@98% (muahahahahahaha) vs. @0% (what is this? I am holding a choice scarf, I shall go first!) -----> @100% (I am the deathbringer!)

YAY!!! a turn for the good of things. I finally manage to take out that pesky Landorus, only to be faced with the 2 foot tall monster that at +2 is capable of OHKOing a 192/252 bold Deoxys-D, something not many can boast about. At the moment I'm pretty sure that the Excarill was going to throw some rocks at me so I didnt want that to happen and quickly fled the scene to my CS Metagross.

Start of turn 10
Cheesy called Dragonite back!
Cheesy sent out Metagross!

The foe's Excadrill used Rock Slide!
Metagross avoided the attack!

@100% (curses foiled again) -----> @100% (you can't throw rocks for shit) vs. @100% (-___- )

And hax rears it's magnificent head again at the driller mole. This is the moment where I went wrong. For some reason I chose to break the Air Balloon with a rather pitiful Ice Punch rather than trick the mole a Choice Scarf, something that could have saved me a numerous amount of my teammembers.

Start of turn 11
The foe's Excadrill used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 302 HP! (94% of its health)

Metagross used Ice Punch!
The foe's Excadrill lost 39% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill's Air Balloon popped!

@6% ( -.- why cant I learn Mach Punch) vs. @61% ( because you're a derp)

I can't believe it......I got a hamburger for Christmas, jk. Now it's metagross to pull some mysterious bulk out of his metal body and tank the Super Effective Earthquake at 6% whilst retaliating with Ice Punch to break Excadrill's Balloon. Before I comment on the next 2 turns of misery, I want you to know that I love you... no, really I do love you Metagross.

Start of turn 12
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 17 HP! (5% of its health)
Metagross fainted!

Cheesy sent out Darmanitan

Salemsectra leads 4-3

@0% (curse my superior IQ that I can't Mach Punch) -----> @90% (now it's my turn to shit out some armour) vs. @61% ( ya think so?)

The inevitable happens and I am left with a giant chunk of metal lying on my side of the battlefield. At that time I was sure that I could
outspeed the Excadrill in the sand (wait, what?) even though I wasn't scarf'd, (herpderp) little to my knowledge that I couldn't.

Start of turn 13
It's super effective!
Darmanitan lost 260 HP! (73% of its health)
Darmanitan fainted!

Cheesy sent out Dragonite!

Salemsectra leads 4-2

@0% (nope, turns out I couldn't crap out some armour) -----> @98% (I shall avenge you, my dear fire monkey looking thing) vs. @61% (You can't beat me)

Curses, now its Darmanitan's turn to go down under the force of the land mole. All I can do now is hope that a CB Outrage can bring the terrifying mole to it's knees, somewhere in the back of my mind I am being tempted to use Extremespeed. (It found out later to my dismay, that I probably should have gone with Extremespeed to two hit the mole into oblivion while not being locked into outrage).

Start of turn 14
The foe's Excadrill used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 202 HP! (62% of its health)

Dragonite used Outrage!
The foe's Excadrill lost 60% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill fainted!

Salemsectra sent out Reuniclus!

Salemsectra leads 3-2

@36% (Didn't even need Multiscale) vs. @% (I hate being vertically challenged, it really affects my throwing power) -----> @100% (Yes I'm a gummi bear, I'm a Gummi bear♫)

At last, the dreaded Excadrill has fallen to the vicious power of a raging Dragonite powering through with only the thought of vengeance to push it forward. But now I am faced with a Jellybear known to many as Reuniclus. All I can do is hope that Outrage can dent, (Reuniclus can't be 'dented', it's jelly) it.

Start of turn 15
Dragonite used Outrage!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 75% of its health!

The foe's Reuniclus used Psychic!
Dragonite lost 117 HP! (36% of its health)
Dragonite fainted!

Cheesy sent out Scrafty!

Salemsectra leads 3-1

@0% -----> @100% (I follow only my lead dancer Tyranitar) vs. @25% (you can't dance if your dead)

The mighty avenger Dragonite falls to the gummi bear's Psychic powers as I bring in my last member the back-up dancer known to

me as Scrafty, hoping to bring it in with a late-game sweep. I think I'm going to get a face full of Focus so I hope that Scrafty can 'poo'

out some bulk this time. I'm going to dance on up with my fingers crossed.

Start of turn 16
Scrafty used Dragon Dance!
Scrafty's Attack rose!
Scrafty's Speed rose!

The foe's Reuniclus used Focus Blast!
It's super effective!

...The moment of truth

Scrafty lost 244 HP! (89% of its health)

@10% +1 Atk +1 Spd (I'm not a back-up dancer for nothing) vs. @25% (O-O)

YESSSSSSSSSS! Amazing! Scrafty managed to tank the Supereffective Focus Blast like a BOSS and lies to tell the tale with 10% remaining, I can feel a surge of pride coming up from within him as he manages to crap out one hell of a shield, but we're not out of the deep zone yet. I am confident that I can take out the Reuniclus with Drain Punch and I really need the health back, nervousness strikes again.

Start of turn 17
Scrafty used Drain Punch!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 16% of its health!
The foe's Reuniclus had its energy drained!

The foe's Reuniclus used Focus Blast!

...The moment of hope

The attack of the foe's Reuniclus missed!

@17% (If I make it out of this battle alive, I will surely build a studio in honour of my leader) vs. @9% (1. GG bro, 2. O.O FML)

As the almighty battle log reveals its secrets I realise how special my little dancer is- 1. He didn't KO the Jelly bear taunting me from the other side of the battlefield. 2. That same Gummi bear failed to hit him. Karma is a bitch, isn't it. Serves you right for attempting to finish off my last remaining teammate. I am NOT risking that again, and i decide to crunch away at the Reuniclus, to nervous if Drain Punch fails to finish it.

Start of turn 18
Scrafty used Crunch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 7% of its health!
The foe's Reuniclus fainted!
Scrafty's Attack rose!

Salemsectra sent out Magnezone!

Salemsectra leads 2-1

@15% +2 Atk +1 Spd ( nom nom nom) vs. @0% (Where's my left arm!) -----> @42% (Another dancing criminal!?, justice shall be brought)

Now that the acursed Reuniclus is out of the way I can dance all night long to my enemies death throes. I decide to go for the Drain Punch for the regeneration, that proves later to be of great importance in the match.

Start of turn 19
It's super effective!
The foe's Magnezone lost 42% of its health!
The foe's Magnezone fainted!
The foe's Magnezone had its energy drained!
Scrafty's Attack rose!

Salemsectra sent out Tyranitar!

Tieing at 1-1

@39% +3 Atk + 1 Spd (Thanks for the refreshment) vs. @0% (you must bring justi... X.X) -----> @100% (It'll be alright just hang in there ...NOOOOOOOOO)

And then there were 2, It's the final showdown. The back-up versus the fake:

Scrafty: "Is it really you master? T.T But how?"
Salemsectra's Tyranitar: " Yes it is me, you can't trust your trainer, he sabotaged my dancing shoes, and I fell, but was revived by the great trainer Salemsectra, come closer."
Scrafty: "Of course"
Salemsectra's Tyranitar: "Yes, that's it"
Scrafty: "wait, where's your dancing shoes now?"
Salemsectra's Tyranitar: "ummmm, I left them in my pokeball"
Scrafty: "But Cheesy has the pokeball, YOU BITCH!!!!"
Salemsectra's Tyranitar: "So you have figured it out..."
Scrafty: "This is for the real master!!!!!"

Start of turn 20
It's super effective!

...The moment of pride

The foe's Tyranitar lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar hung on using its Focus Sash!
The foe's Tyranitar had its energy drained!

Scrafty: "WHAT!!!!! , how is this possible?"
Salemsectra's Tyranitar: "Take THIS!!!!!!!"

The foe's Tyranitar used Superpower!
It's super effective!

...The moment of endurance

Scrafty lost 230 HP! (84% of its health)
The foe's Tyranitar's Attack fell!
The foe's Tyranitar's Defense fell!

Scrafty: "You will never be able to beat me."

Cheesy won the battle!

---CONCLUSION---

This was a fantastic battle that I had with Salemsectra, it was a pleasure playing you, and I had an amazing time and last but not least to YOU, the readers who made it to the end of my first warstory. But enough of that, and into the details:

PROPS:

Scrafty for his amazing sweep that got me the win
Salemsectra's Tyranitar for the hidden focus sash until the ending of the match.
The great suspense at the end.
Dragonite for taking out Excadrill mid-game that enabled me Scrafty to start dancing on up

SLOPS:

Metagross' derpiness for using Ice Punch, what a stupid dude
Kingdra and his missing Hydro Pump on Magnezone

MVP:
SCRAFTY

I respect the "suspense" and the overall thrill of the match, but I have to say that the misplays killed it for me. You had a lot of advantageous positions in which you held the momentum and your Pokemon didn't disappoint you because, as you put it, they "pulled bulk out of their anal canals." I think you could have utilized their potential better and made better use of that one turn that they gave you when they unexpectedly survived.

Apart from that, the format was commendable, and I see that Alphatron's tags have become popular. Your commentary could have been better but I guess the credit goes to the misplays for the lack of insight in your commentary.

I give the warstory a 6/10

I'm sure you'll get a better battle soon enough as you gain more experience. Your team is interesting but know your Pokemon before you assume that gorillas can outspeed moles riding on sand tsunamis. Cheers!

5/10. While the battle was interesting, you sacrificed your pokes too easily. You could have switched more to counter his threats. Some pokes didn't even play a part.
Just something, Metagross gets Bullet Punch over Mach Punch

Percentages are messed up, and your predictions and moves were not very well thought out. I also disliked the fact that you made so many mistakes, yet won due to crucial hax.

6/10, it was still an interesting battle.

"Switching is for losers." This kind of killed it for me. You only switched once, and that was with U-Turn, and switching could have saved you a couple of times, rather then relying on bulk that you didn't even knew they had. As well as the many misplays previously stated. Very...bleh.

Can you explain to me how Vaporeon loses 48% and dies after taking 40% from a Superpower and getting turns of leftovers recovery?

Can you explain to me how Vaporeon loses 48% and dies after taking 40% from a Superpower and getting turns of leftovers recovery?
Becasue he forget to deduct the U-Turn damage from Vaporeon. There are a few places where you've calcualted the daamge wrongly, in fact; missing out Kingdra's Life Orb recoil and so on. Still, they're easy fixes.

Quite an enjoyable battle, though if Sash Ttar had used Counter at the end, or Reuniclus had used Shadow Ball or Trick Room, the whole thing could have changed...

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
1. Don't copy Alphatron's actions next to the parentheses... he does it better.
2. Get a better battle, switching is not for losers.
3. You should NEVER reiterate what happened the turn before, we read the turn, we know what happened.

You put the time into making this, so you can improve, which I hope you do, you have potential.

I didn't really care for this battle. You kind of just threw Pokemon at him until you broke through. His playing wasn't much better. And how did you expect to beat Excadrill with Darmanitan? There wasn't really a lot of thought put into your moves. I'd suggest lurking around a lot more in the Archive so you have a better idea of what kinds of battles to pick.

4/10. It wasn't bad, but it was average with some gross misplays.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The one thing a warstory should never do is leave the reader thinking you're a poor battler, and this one sadly did that.

Anyone who told you that "switching is for losers" was either fooling with you, being deliberately over-the-top and not expecting anyone to take him seriously, or a fool himself. Pokemon are not people any more than chess pieces are. You wouldn't play a chess game thinking "knights and bishops and kings shouldn't retreat, it's unmanly," so why think that way with pixels on an LCD screen?

The relationship between a trainer and his Pokemon is like that between a knight and his sword/shield. Sure, it could be argued that a person running away is dishonorable, but not that the knight should never shield himself, only constantly swing forward with the sword. That's just silly. I don't care how much Gamefreak tries to soften it, Pokemon are tools, and not emotionally attached life-forms.

Okay, enough of that spiel.

This is important:

The one thing a warstory should never do is leave the reader thinking you're a poor battler, and this one sadly did that.
Practically nobody can remember every part of even a very good battle he went through to the dot, and when you're faced with something you can't quite figure out a reason for, all other things equal, it's better to make yourself look better at that moment than worse. People want to applaud ingenuity, not feel better because of mistakes (okay, maybe people with low self-esteem do, but that's not who you want to pander to). If you are absolutely against embellishing any detail of your thoughts on a given turn, at least give an analysis of what you should have done, now looking back on it.

If none of this made any sense because I'm trying to do 3 things at once right now, at least take this away: 1) find a good battle you *really* put thought into, for each and every move, and writing a warstory for it will then come naturally, 2) don't use formatting techniques like alphatron's that have become iconic for their user, not because you do them poorly but because it will just make you look unoriginal, and 3) do not view switching in a negative light, it is practically the litmus test for whether someone is a beginner or a player with any experience. Don't misinterpret this as "your story was bad and you should feel bad," but just keep these things in mind to write a better one.

The lack of a crunch post dance, hurt my face. Then again that was one of many lacking plays on your part.

5/10

Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly credits to Alphatron for the formatting.

I understand my mistakes that were very basic

I only really wanted to use this as a "give-it-a-go" sort of experience, and I do feel pretty stupid looking back on it for the LO recoil I missed.

Can you guys try to be even a little bit more constructive?

and please bear in mind this was my first one.

Thanks, again for the comments.

I will look into them again in the future if I make another warstory

Hey man, it's cool. Next time, put more thought into your moves, get some predictions down, and post some more spicy Warstories. While some of the comments weren't all constructive, you can take most of the criticism and turn it upside down to see where you went wrong.

Good luck!

A 20 turn battle will almost NEVER be a good battle.

You had many mistakes and hax saved your ass from a fair obvious lose.

I'm sorry, the format was good, comments were average, the puns were ok, but the battle was poor.

Try again, cause I think you have some potential.

That was a 2-3/10 for me.

Really short, key moments were hax, generally bad playing, and the commentary was weird and I didn't find it funny or insightful.

I think you'll do a much better job if you find a longer battle, as those tend to be the better ones.

1.5/10 for comments. Just wasn't liking them. Not good train of thought (Cringed at outspeeding excadrill in sand).

4/10 Actual battle. Wasn't amazing. Plus the Focus blast, Drain Punch, and Superpower pauses just annoyed me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)