[5th Gen OU] 1st RMT

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Opening Comments
Hey everybody! This is my very first RMT, I made sure to chose a team that I really felt had potential and I had tested quite a bit. This team was actually one of the very first BW teams I constructed (with a few changes here and there) when the Gen 5 metagame was still brand new, and it's still holding up fairly strong, but I feel it could be doing even better.

This team peaked at #73 on the Smogon server with about 1250 points overall.

The Team at a Glance​

Ever since I got decimated by it in my very first BW match, I've thought Genosect was just awesome. With respectable stats all around (bar HP), a good ability, and a great movepool, I immediately knew I wanted one on my team.

One of Genosect's glaring problems is the 4x weakness to the common attacking type Fire. With base 115 defenses and 100 HP, Suicune can soak up hits like a champ, especially the Fire attacks aimed at Genosect. In addition, Genosect can come in on any Grass attack that would threaten Suicune.

While Genosect captured my attention at the start of BW, so did the new item Evolution Stone. Porygon2 was already equipped with nice defenses before, and Evolution Stone only bolsters these further. This monster can take just about anything you can throw at it, bar a boosted Fighting attack, and wall nearly everything to hell and back. Trace can also make for some serious mind games against the opponent if used correctly.

Next, I wanted a sweeping force behind my team, and with Speed Boost, Blaziken really got a new lease on life. With a massive attack stat, it can threaten even things that resist its STABs, and fears no Water attacks due to Suicune. It can also sponge fire attacks aimed at Genosect, if Suicune isn't doing so hot.

In my opinion, every team needs a revenge killer. Boasting a nice speed stat and huge SPA, Latios fits the bill perfectly. It also has excellent resistances, soaking up attacks that threaten the rest of the team with ease. Genosect backs it up as well, and can take Dragon and Ice type attacks aimed at it.

Lastly, I needed a solid lead. Machamp is just a good as he was in 5th gen, and threatens nearly every single other lead out there. He can also cause mid/late game havoc if he lives long enough. Usually taking out 1 to 2 Pokemon every single game, and even sweeping entire teams by himself, Machamp is nothing to scoff at.

The Team In-Depth

@ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP, 248 ATK, 16 SPD, 4 SPE
Nature: Adamant
-DynamicPunch
-Payback
-Stone Edge
-Bullet Punch

This is the standard Machamp of 4th Gen, and it still does wonders. EV'd to be bulky enough to take nearly all unboosted hits, and immune to status (until Lum Berry is used), Machamp threatens nearly every other lead out there. DynamicPunch is the crux of the set, doing massive damage to anything that isn't incredibly bulky or resistant to it; and even things that aren't severely hurt don't really enjoy being confused.
Payback punishes Psychic types that think they can come in and ruin Machamp's fun. This really hurts leading Deoxys that get greedy and use the first turn to set up rocks; and even if they attack first, Machamp has the bulk to take things that aren't Psycho Boost and come out on top.
Stone Edge hurts flyers and some things that are resistant to DynamicPunch. Machamp is a Shandera magnet, but provided he is at full health, Machamp can take anything Shandera can throw at him (including Heat Wave and Psychic) and KO back with Stone Edge.
Bullet Punch is for picking off weakened threats or leads that run a Sash.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 SPE
Nature: Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Protect
-Flare Blitz
-Hi Jump Kick

Ah, Blaziken. What a huge boon it got 5th gen with Speed Boost. Because of Speed Boost, I only devoted 4 EVs to Speed, because after only +1, it's sitting at a respectable 296. I instead use what would normally be put in SPE to invest in more bulk, and with maxed HP Blaziken can take a lot of hits that would normally put it in its grave. Max attack and helping nature to get the most power I possibly can.
Blakizen's whole deal is to come in on something that can't handle it, and Sword Dance on the switch. Suddenly, after only a single turn, you're sitting at +2 ATK and +1 SPE (and I can always protect on the next turn for another free speed boost). Nattorei is one of the BW Mons that are on a huge majority of teams, and they're Blaziken's favorite set up fodder. Fortress and Genosect are also incredibly favorable matches for Blaziken.
After a Swords Dance, Blaziken is basically unstoppable. It muscles through a lot of pokemon that would normally threaten it, including Shandera, Burungeru, Vaporeon, Rankerusu, and a variety of others as well. Even without a SD, Blaziken isn't something to be taken lightly, still powering through a lot of things that don't resist its STABs.
Leftovers is the item I've had the most luck with, recovering off any previous damage as well as Flare Blitz recoil is very nice. Coupled with Protect, it can recover off quite a bit of damage.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP, 100 DEF, 168 SPA
Nature: Modest
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Another Pokemon that got a huge Dream World buff was Suicune. And it seems like not very many people know that it got it, either. I have people try and attack it with Water type attacks quite often, and are surprised to see that it has Water Absorb.
EVs are for the magic 101 HP subs and a bit of defense. Without some SPA, Suicune doesn't hit that hard off the bat, which is sometimes important if I need something dead and I don't have a turn to CM.
This set walls bulky waters pretty effectively; even with resistance, if it doesn't have water absorb, a +6 surf hurts pretty badly. If they do have Water Absorb, I can use a +6 Ice Beam, but I'm thinking of swapping this for some else.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SPA, 252 SPE
-Psychic
-Surf
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam

Latios is a great revenge killer, and this is a pretty self explanatory set. It has an excellent movepool and good stats to back it up with, as well as resisting a lot of attacks that plague the rest of the team. Max SPA to hit hard and max SPE to do it fast.
Psychic is for Fighting types, mostly Roobushin as my team is severely weak to him without Latios.
Surf is to revenge Shandera and Blaziken mostly, but Water is a good attacking type so it's my go-to move if I want to pick off a weakened foe and threaten the switch in.
Draco Meteor is obligatory, it hits anything that doesn't resist it very hard- nothing really likes taking a DM to the face.
Ice threatens the numerous 4x weak Dragons, as well as Grass types like Jaroda and Erufuun that try and set up.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Download
Evs: 184 HP, 252 SPA, 72 SPE
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Rock Polish

Wow, I just really love Genosect. The only thing that is really glaringly bad is the very..."almost, but not quite there" 99 base speed. Rock polish works to eliminate this, and after only a single boost, with the given EVs Genosect crests 500 speed, outrunning most everything. A bit of HP investment to let him take a hit, and max Special Attack with a helping nature to get the most out of him.
The first thing one might notice is that this set breaks a huge sweeper taboo; as it doesn't have a move that gets STAB. I've found that while Boltbeam is a given combo that takes out a ton of threats, opting for Flamethrower over Bug Buzz has really done this set a lot of good. It takes out Pokemon that would otherwise completely wall Genosect to no end. Nattorei comes to mind immediately, and it's generally a nasty surprise for people thinking they can send it in, only to have it decimated the next turn. It also KOs Dory, who does not KO Genosect back if it's over half health, which is a huge deal.
Leftovers might seem strange on a sweeper, but I find that Genosect really appreciates the residual HP gain. It gets taken down much to fast if I opt for more power in Life Orb.

@ Evolution Stone
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP, 216 DEF, 40 SPA
Nature: Bold
-Recover
-Toxic
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

Last but not least, little Porygon2. This thing is EV'd to take physical hits, and boy, it does it's job like a champion. +2 Garchomp or Ononokusu's Outrage? Unboosted fighting attacks? Just about any other physical attack out there?No problem for this little guy. Incredibly bulky, and it can pretty much recover off any damage it gets, causing some major frustration on the opponent's side. It can also sponge special attacks, and just all around walls awesomely.
Trace also causes problems for the opponent, it loves coming in on a Burungeru using Boiling Water, a Heatran using Fire Blast, or a Flygon using EQ. Intimidate also backfires on the opponent, as well as Rain Team's rain dish, and other general stuff like that.
Being the wall that it is, Toxic is pretty much a given. Watching the opponents heath dwindle away while you recover is very satisfying indeed.
Lastly, Boltbeam is again for coverage. Ice Beam is especially important in taking down Dragons, which Porygon2 absolutely lives to do.

Closing Comments
Well, that's the team. I didn't put any specific changes I'd consider for individual Pokemon, because I'm willing to test everything! I'm not the best battler around, but I was really proud when this team crested 100th place, it's a big accomplishment for somebody with not much skill, haha. Thanks for any rates, and taking the time to rate :)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Nasty, lemme comment on this team a bit. :)

First of all, I'd say you shouldn't count on Machamp as much this gen as in previous, if only because we have allowed Deoxy-A to come down. Right now your team has little recourse to a lead deo packing Psycho Boost, Super Power, and Ice Beam. Deo-A has no hard counters, and is something that has to be played around-- I'd put some thought into a game plan there.

Otherwise, things look pretty solid. I would though recommend considering Rest Talk Gyarados over Suicune though-- you have something of a Fighting weak, which is an issue with Roob and his buddies trolling the whole metagame. Since you are playing dreamworld, you will also have Kerudio to deal with (thugh latios is the superior answer there since so many run HP Electric . . . some do run HP Dark / Ghost though so be careful).

edit: Also have to agree with the below. Psycho Shock > Psychi and HP Fire over Ice Beam. Nattorei is fucking everywhere.

Ice Beam on Latios is really redundant. Dragons get Meteored. Grass-types get Meteored. Nattorei gets Tricked or HP Fire'd (change it to Trick or HP FIre)

Also, Psychic<Psycho Shock, for them special walls a la Blissey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)