Other Metagames [1v1] Red, White, & Blue ft. Triple Megas [Peaked #6]

Introduction

Hey Smogon members!

After making my latest RMT, I decided I wanted to return to take a break from the popular tiers and go back to an old favorite tier: 1v1. I used to play 1v1 a lot, and peak top 10 all the time. Now, after playing more of the main tiers, I wanted to go back and try 1v1 again. I created this team by myself, and it's a really cool team to use, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. Without further ado, let's get into the RMT!

I really don't know where to put my proof of peak so I'll just put it here
Yes, I know, it's not #1, but I'm a really busy person in my life outside of PS and Smogon, and #6 seemed high enough for me :P
If you guys didn't know, it's pretty hard to get really high on the ladder using only one team (which I did) since you face the same people a lot, and they know your sets and your moves and whatnot, and they can counterteam you. So yeah, I think #6 on the ladder using only one team was pretty good.

Yes I laddered with an account called etillosba
See if you can figure out why my laddering alt is called that :P
Sorry if the image is small, if you want to see it bigger without clicking on it, click here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, I wanted to build around Genesect. It is one of my favorite mons, and it has a huge arsenal of moves, including its two powerful STAB attacks, boltbeam coverage, Flamethrower, and who knows what else. Anyways, I really wanted to build around Genesect.

I thought that I would have trouble with zards, so I added Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria walls both variants of zards with ease, and it has incredible bulk that can be used to take on lots of other threats in the tier. I really don't know why it isn't used more in 1v1. Not to mention, who doesn't like a mega of an awesome mon that looks exactly like a fluffy cloud?

Now, I figured that Metal Burst Aggron could give me trouble. I also needed a set-up sweeper that was strong even before setting up, and one that was reasonably bulky as well. What better choice than Mega Gyarados? It has really nice bulk for an offensively inclined mon, and its ability before mega evolving helps a bunch. Not to mention, its ability after mega evolving lets me deal with Arons and Magnemites and whatever other gimmicky stuff (Mold Breaker cuts through Sturdy, rip Aron).

After team testing, I realized that Genesect kept on missing out on KOs, and it just wasn't strong enough. It didn't nuke things like I expected it to, so finally, I thought that I would have to replace it. I looked for a mon that could just come in and nuke something. Mega Charizard Y looked like a good choice. Everyone who plays 1v1 knows it: Blast Burn zardY is a complete monster. You need to come prepared for it or its just gg. Mega zardY seemed to fit much better on this team than Genesect anyways.

The Team

->

Puff (Altaria) @ Altarianite

Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard |
|
- Hyper Voice |
|
- Draco Meteor |
|
- Roost |
|

Overview:
The first member of the team, Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria is a seriously underrated threat in this meta, if you ask me. It has the potential to set up with DD as an offensive monster, or set up with Cotton Guard as a defensive monster. The latter is just what mine is. The defense EVs ensure that it lives an Adamant max attack Mega Salamence Giga Impact before a Cotton Guard (calc below). The rest of the EVs are dumped into SpDef to increase its special bulk. Calm Nature to further increase special bulk, since Bold isn't really needed with Cotton Guard and the defense EVs. An alternative EV spread that I have tried out (I prefer the EV spread that its showing right now) is the 252 HP / 172 Def / 64 SpA / 20 SpD spread that can be used to guarantee the Draco Meteor OHKO on Naive Kyurem-B (most of them are Naive), although it cuts away from Altaria's bulk tremendously.
Moveset:
This moveset is a fairly standard Mega Altaria moveset, if you can call it standard, since no one uses this thing. Cotton Guard to boost Altaria's defense to sky high levels, and Roost as Altaria's form of recovery, and to heal off any severe damage that Altaria takes. Hyper Voice and Draco Meteor are used as the two attacking moves, although if you're going to attack, you're going to be clicking Hyper Voice almost 100% of the time. Anyways, Draco Meteor is to hit things harder, and you have a chance of OHKOing Kyurem-B and you guarantee the OHKO on Mega Salamence (Hyper Voice isn't a guaranteed OHKO).

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Mega Altaria: 298-352 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Mega Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 332-392 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Mega Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 372-438 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO -- I have a good chance to OHKO Kyu-B anyways
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 20+ SpD Mega Altaria: 194-230 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- for the alternative EV spread
64 SpA Mega Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 392-464 (100.2 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO -- for the alternative EV spread

->

Leviathan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance |
|
- Waterfall |
|
- Crunch |
|
- Taunt |
|

Overview:
Mega Gyarados functions as my set up sweeper (Altaria...well, it doesn't really make an offensive presence with Cotton Guard). It helps me deal with Aggron, FEAR stuff, and other things like Gengar. Gyarados's ability before mega evolving (Intimidate) is incredibly helpful, and its ability after mega evolving is better than you'd think. Mold Breaker cuts through Sturdy, so Arons and Magnemites and whatnot will just drop to a Waterfall. I chose to go with the bulky Gyarados variant, instead of the max attack max speed variant. I believe this one functions better, since it can tank hits while its trying to set up, and base 81 speed in 1v1 isn't really that much (you're competing with Scarf Kyu-Bs, Charizards, Gengars, etc., and the mons that are slow (Aggron, Mawile, etc.) don't even run speed, so you get to outspeed them naturally anyways).
Moveset:
The moveset for this is also pretty straightforward, with the exception of Taunt. Dragon Dance to set up, obviously, and break through fat things like Aggron, like previously mentioned. It boosts Mega Gyarados's attack to seriously high levels, and it also raises its speed in case I need to outspeed something. Waterfall and Crunch are STAB attacks that hit extremely hard even before a DD. You really can't go wrong with these two strong attacks, and they both have a really nice secondary effect that comes in handy sometimes; Waterfall flinching could cause someone the game, and the defense drop from Crunch helps more than you think it would. I chose Taunt as the last move on Gyarados; it helps me deal with other set up sweepers such as zardX and opposing Gyarados, as well as catching them off guard. Taunt cuts through Magic Bounce and stuff like that, so suck that M-Sableye. Taunt really helps a lot in some other matchups, shutting down threats that would otherwise threaten the team.

Torch (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 138 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blast Burn |
|
- Solar Beam |
|
- Focus Blast |
|
- Ancient Power |
|

Overview:
This mon is my "nuker". It literally just clicks Blast Burn 90% of the time and KOs if it doesn't miss. Everyone knows it: you better come prepared for Blast Burn zardY in 1v1 or else you're screwed (my counter is Altaria, and Gyarados to an extent). The EV spread isn't the usual max max spread; I've started using a different EV spread on Charizard. This one is 120 HP / 252 SpA / 138 Spe, which guarantees it to live a timid Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon in the sun. The extra bulk also helps versus some other mons. Since I'm not gonna be able to speed tie with other max speed base 100s anyways, I figured that I better just go Modest instead of Timid to maximize damage output. ZardY is a serious monster in 1v1.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 276-326 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- I changed Hydro Pump's base power to 150, since there's no option for Hydro Cannon on the damage calc

Moveset:
Zard's moveset is, I believe, the best moveset that a zardY can have. You also have the options of Dragon Pulse and Air Slash, but I believe that my coverage moves provide the best coverage. Blast Burn is zardY's strongest move that pretty much OHKOs any mon that doesn't resist. Blast Burn is already a base 150 power attack, further powered by STAB, and even further powered by the sun. Let's not forget that this is coming off of a base 159 SpA base stat, with 252 SpA EVs and a Modest nature. Seriously, this is nothing to laugh at. Solar Beam completes the Fire + Grass coverage, and it helps to hit mons that resist Blast Burn, namely Mega Gyarados. I can also use it to break Aggron's Sturdy so that I can KO it with Focus Blast the next turn. Speaking of which, Focus Blast increases zardY's coverage, letting it hit steels, normals, and such, as well as just being a high base power attack. Ancient Power is there to hit mainly opposing zards, letting me win if they lack Ancient Power themselves. The all-around stat boost is nice too, if I just so happen to get it.

Other Stuff

Quite problematic, as you can see. I really have no real way to deal with it if its scarfed (which 99.999% of them are anyways), and my best way to deal with it is to click Charizard and then Blast Burn (which OHKOs it o.O) and pray for a Stone Edge miss. Another way to deal with it is to click Mega Altaria and pray to get a high roll on Draco (and not miss, of course). As I said, it is a really big problem for the team. So far, I haven't dealt with too many problems, but it looks really terrifying for this team to deal with.

I'm blanking out right now, so I can't really think of any other threats. Ugghhhh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Puff (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Leviathan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

Torch (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Modest Nature
- Blast Burn
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power

Altaria @ Altarianite
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Modest Nature
- Blast Burn
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power

Sorry, I'm kinda in a hurry at the moment, so I'll just list out the names of the people.

Frens that talk to me, etc.
-Latios-, Celestial Calendar, megaslowbro1, Coolsoul, GradeAGarchomp

My old frens from the trivia room on PS!, sorry, I just realized you guys had Smogon accounts, so I thought that I better give you guys a shoutout
Jellal Fernnandes, Hanssanitizer, Cynthia612, Valiancy

Other people that help(ed) me out, but I'm purposely not tagging these people, since they're auth I think they're pretty busy
xfix - Old fren that played me in 1v1 a lot a long time ago
rxdb - Another old fren from the trivia room

Also shoutout to all the people who played me while I was laddering, you know who you are. I know I played each of you at least like 6 times. If you guys wanted an inside look of the team, here you go. So shoutout to you guys for playing me so much lol :P

Conclusion

Sorry if this RMT seems short, it seems short for me, but I guess that's because the team has only three mons, instead of the usual six, which makes for a much shorter RMT. Well, whatever.

Also sorry for no replays, I always forget to save the replay. A lot of 1v1 games are literally 1 turn anyways, so I don't really see why you need to see replays for this team. I think I explained it well enough, to be honest. But if you want me to add some replays, just reply below and/or tell me, and I'll add some ASAP (assuming I remember to save the replay XD).

And that's all for this RMT! Hope you guys liked it, and if you try using the team, I hope you had as much fun with it as I did! It's a really fun team that I feel anyone can use. I feel like more people should play this tier, and if you play 1v1, you know what I mean when I say you play the same people a lot on the ladder. 1v1 is a really fun tier that not very many people play, since they like to play the other tiers like OU and UU and stuff like that. If you're considering starting to play 1v1, I highly encourage it, and you definitely won't regret it. 1v1 is a seriously fun tier. Anyways, thanks for reading my RMT, and I hope you liked it. Any and all rates and feedback is appreciated, and don't hesitate to say something if you feel that you can improve this team. Again, thanks for reading, and have a great day! :D

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, this is a pretty cool team, and since it's 1v1 I don't have many suggestions. One of the things I would suggest though, is the optional Outrage > Crunch on Gyarados. This allows you to have a much better matchup against Kyurem-B, and is generally pretty effective. You can also run some more speed if you want, I'm not really sure how much is optimal.

Hey man, this is a pretty cool team, and since it's 1v1 I don't have many suggestions. One of the things I would suggest though, is the optional Outrage > Crunch on Gyarados. This allows you to have a much better matchup against Kyurem-B, and is generally pretty effective. You can also run some more speed if you want, I'm not really sure how much is optimal.
Yeah, I hadn't considered this yet, haha. A lot of Gyarados sets do carry Outrage, but I had decided to use Crunch instead. I'm not an expert on EV spreads, so I really don't know how much speed is needed on Gyara either. I'll be sure to consider the suggestion(s), and I might make the change (on Outrage, as it does help vs Kyu-B). Thanks for the rate!

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I guess I'm alright at 1v1, so ill try and help :P
I second twixs recommendation, on a taunt Gyara at least, to go for outrage over crunch, as well as changing draco meteor to confide on your altaria. This makes up for dropping crunch on Gyara as you can beat meloetta and other psychics just as efficiently. Solid team showcasing a really underated mon, U should fight me sometime :3
Edit: im actually second in UR screenshot on ladder imo xPPP

I guess I'm alright at 1v1, so ill try and help :P
I second twixs recommendation, on a taunt Gyara at least, to go for outrage over crunch, as well as changing draco meteor to confide on your altaria. This makes up for dropping crunch on Gyara as you can beat meloetta and other psychics just as efficiently. Solid team showcasing a really underated mon, U should fight me sometime :3
Edit: im actually second in UR screenshot on ladder imo xPPP
Yeah, I'll probably try out Outrage Gyara. On the other hand, however, I'm not so sure about Confide on Altaria. Draco Meteor lets me make sure that I get to OHKO MegaMence, which is pretty crucial. It also deals tons of damage to other things and can take down weakened foes after a Hyper Voice. I'll still probably test it, though.

Yeah, hope I get to battle you soon! I'm really busy, so I'm not sure about it, although I will if I get the time to. And I noticed that you were second on the screenshot, lol. Grats on that!

Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)