CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 2 (Primary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Electric

I like the idea of an Electric type breaking the mould, i.e. not possessing a completely crappy movepool, maybe function as a wall instead of having just general bulkiness. The stereotype of Electric seems to be having a poor movepool and built mostly for sweeping and / or tanking, but not walling. It would certainly be interesting to see an Electric type not conforming to the stereotype, a Gyarados counter maybe?

2. Steel

I'm basically thinking of a non-Metagross, Steel-typed sweeper, that is somewhat glass-cannonish and fast. Other than Lucario, the rest of the Steel types are basically relegated to a role of a Bulky Sweeper / Wall, Metagross and Heatran fine examples. I, like Doug also think it would be a nice idea to have a non-Metagross / Scizor pokemon use the Steel STAB for sweeping.

Choice 1: Electric
Choice 2: Rock

I want to see either an Electric tank with a good moveset, or a Special Sweeper that's Rock.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Grass
Rock

Honestly guys, what kind of variety do you see in grass types today? Name me some grass types off the top of your head that don't get leech seed. What kind of grass type doesn't rely on status and seeding to do work for them as they set up? Not a lot, I'd say. Now I may know that you guys are thinking to yourselves, "Pyroak is already grass. Why another one?" Well, why don't I ask you this? Why should we limit ourselves to different types all the time? Here's what I want. I want the perfect Grass type that contradicts all the other, because frankly, grass has shitty variety. If we want to "break the mold," break it with a grass type that doesn't need the leech seed. I'm sick and tired of grass types walling grass types. It's time we get something that BREAKS THE MOLD.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For me, a physical Electric is out of the question seeing as Electivire fills that niche perfectly.

An Electric cannot ever be a defensive type unless it is also part-flying or has Levitate. Now, if we go this route, we need to be extremely careful. Look at Rotom. Its defenses are below average, yet it's an extremely used Pokemon in UU. What does that tell you? In Rotom, we have an Electric + Levitate + Ghost. If you replace 'Ghost' with 'Defenses' there, you'd have a Pokemon that would be extremely hard to take down. You'd be basically forced to give it a secondary type... which kinda defeats the purpose of creating a Pokemon going against the mold, in my opinion.

Because, really, you could say that Weavile, say, is a physical Ice type, but you could also say that Weavile is a physical Dark type. The former would go somewhat against the mold, whereas the latter would be completely stereotypical of Dark types. So which is correct? I'd say the latter would be correct. Look at Mamoswine. Would you say that its skewness towards physical is due to its Ice type or due to its Ground type? I think, undoubtedly, the latter.

Fighting is an easy type to break the mold in. All Fighting Pokemon's stats are either skewed towards physical attack, or are basically equal in both physical and special attack (think Blaziken, Lucario, Infernape). A Fighting Pokemon skewed completely to special attack would be a first. So, yeah, I'll vote Fighting as my first preference.

For my second preference, I'll choose Rock. The only Pokemon that is special-sweeping there is Omastar, and that's more due to Swift Swim and its part-Water type than to anything else. A Special-sweeping Rock-type without the help of weather and/or its secondary type would also be a first.

1. Dragon
2. Rock

I honestly want to see a slow, defensive dragon. Rock is a pretty cool typing, but there's only two special Rock moves...

Electric first, Rock second.

Electric is difficult to stereotype since latest generations, however I feel they still have a bigger stereotype than about any other except like Steel and Rock, making it a good choice for this CAP. Most, but not all, are fast, the exceptions being Magnezone, Ampharos and Lanturn. Everything else seems to be all Raikou, Manectric, Raichu, Zapdos, Electabuzz, Electivire, Plusle, Minun, Pikachu, Electrode, yadda yadda. Many of them have killer offense, most of them through the Special way, though some are decidedly average.

Not trying to polljump here, just trying to see what is defined as the mold to be broken.

Rock

If there's a polar opposite to Electric, it's this. There's no fast Rock Pokemon besides Aerodactyl (you might be able to count Kabutops), and they are pretty much all physical...the only real special attackers among them are, from the top of my head, Omastar (who plays more as a Water type offense wise at any rate) and Probopass (whose offense can hardly be considered anything to write home about).

Add that Togekiss and other fliers still give all CAPs a run for their money (even Fidgit is not an adequate answer - didn't I read most of them rely on Earth Power as their only attack?) and I think we can conclude one of above types is needed.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If we end up making a Rock type Sp. Sweeper we could quite easily give it a new move for STAB (maybe something with 85-100 base power, not 75...), new moves are very possible. Power Gem does not need to be its only option.

Edit: Also to restate: A Phy. Electric can use Volt Tackle as a much better STAB than Thunder Fang/Punch.

Choice 1: Rock
Choice 2: Dark

I like the thought of having an extremely fast Rock type pokemon or Dark typed pokemon specifically. Another would be a defensively weak Rock type and physically strong Dark type. Against the mold indeed.

I'll have to change my mind, as neither of the types i chose will get anywhere <_<
So im gonna go with Rock, mainly because the type is usually ripped apart due to its 5 weaknesses. i do like the idea of special rock type, maybe given access to power gem (obv) and earth power, i'll also go Grass as when thats paired with rock they make quite a formidable mixture.
Please dont pick dragon...

Choice 1: Rock
Choice 2: Flying

Special Rock plzkthx.

Since Flying is always a secondary type, let's break the mold and make it a mono-type. And so it doesn't further get broken (game-wise not balance-wise), don't give it access to Roost.

Choice 1: Steel
Choice 2: Electric

I think that a Steel special sweeper or a bulky electric would be very interesting. And I think I'd die if Dragon won the vote.

Poison
Bug

A defensive Poison would be pretty good, seeing as it has decent resistances, but has a very common weakness (EQ). The most defensive Poison type is Nidoqueen at the moment. Add the fact that it mops up Toxic Spikes, and it makes it quite good.

Bug - Just seeing one of these in OU would break the mold :P I'd like to see a physical sweeping pure bug type (Beedrill/Kricketune can barely do it and they are NU) as I think it'd open up a lot of doors, despite Bug not beeing a great attacking type (see what I did there? :P).

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Poison
Bug

A defensive Poison would be pretty good, seeing as it has decent resistances, but has a very common weakness (EQ). The most defensive Poison type is Nidoqueen at the moment. Add the fact that it mops up Toxic Spikes, and it makes it quite good.
I agree! I really wish we could make a pokemon with good defenses and Poison typing. Maybe we could give it an ability that helps it resist status too? Also, it would be good if it could use some other team support moves. Now that you mention Nidoqueen, I'm really liking the idea! Nidoqueen is Poison/Ground, which is awesome typing.

If only we could make a pokemon like that here in the CAP project -- it would be so cool! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that will ever happen...... *sigh*

Poison
Bug

Bug - Just seeing one of these in OU would break the mold :P I'd like to see a physical sweeping pure bug type (Beedrill/Kricketune can barely do it and they are NU) as I think it'd open up a lot of doors, despite Bug not beeing a great attacking type (see what I did there? :P).
Yanmega, Forretress, Scizor and Heracross are all OU

1. FIRE!
2. Dragon

Fire is soo over-looked as a defensive typing. It has the second most resists after steel so it could be a great wall. A defensive or special dragon would also be a nice thing to see.

In Rotom, we have an Electric + Levitate + Ghost. If you replace 'Ghost' with 'Defenses' there, you'd have a Pokemon that would be extremely hard to take down. You'd be basically forced to give it a secondary type... which kinda defeats the purpose of creating a Pokemon going against the mold, in my opinion.

Because, really, you could say that Weavile, say, is a physical Ice type, but you could also say that Weavile is a physical Dark type. The former would go somewhat against the mold, whereas the latter would be completely stereotypical of Dark types. So which is correct? I'd say the latter would be correct. Look at Mamoswine. Would you say that its skewness towards physical is due to its Ice type or due to its Ground type? I think, undoubtedly, the latter.
I actually think that this is a really important point. Whichever type we choose, I really hope we decide to give it no secondary type, so as to fully break the mold instead of just throwing it off by adding in a secondary type.

Doug's sarcasm's made my day.

Eh, I think people should at least try to think of their two votes as seperate instead of automatically placing them together because odds are, it's not going to happen. Dragon's that kind of type that tends to produce high quality Pokemon so they're well represented in OU and frankly I just want to leave it alone after all the fanboyish reasonings for it (the post about a defensive dragon that could tell Syclant to gtfo was plain scary). Oh yeah, and I called the restrictiveness of this concept!

I vote:
Steel
Flying

I wonder if we'll break a stereotype of this project so far and make this our first mono-type. We'll have to see what wins first of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)