Process Guide Workshop for Create-A-Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's defenses aren't horrible, it has recover, and aren't it's resistances a large part of why it can counter things so easily?

Beyond that, Starmie is still considered a relatively offensive or balanced Pokemon, and stat spreads could still reflect that given those defenses. The main stats worth noting if Offensive won would be whichever stat(s) won the physical/special/mixed poll, and possibly speed. As long as the spread makes it obvious what the main goal is, nothing's stopping it from having a secondary purpose provided via the moveset.

Oh, and if we want to possibly have an Evolution/New poll, it could go after the typing polls. That way, we can get the types we want, and then if it fits as possibly being an evolution type, it has a chance. Do we really want to have new evolutions at this point in CAP though? It really limits art, stats, style, build, and movepool selections.

Opinions inside the quote, bolded.

Phase I: 11 Days + Spillover
  • Main Type (3 Days)
  • Secondary Type (2 Days)
  • Style (Offensive/Defensive/Mixed) (3 Days)
  • Build (Physical/Special/Mixed) (3 Days)
Phase II: 18 Days + Spillover
  • Begin Art Submission Thread
  • Base Stat Total (3 Days)
  • Overall Stat Spread (2 Days)
  • Finalization of Art Submissions (2 Days)
  • Art Selection (3 Days)
  • Begin Sprite Submission Thread
  • Begin Main Ability Discussion Thread (2 Days)
  • Begin Name Submission Thread
  • Main Ability Selection (2 Days)
  • Secondary Ability Selection (2 Days)
  • Begin Movepool Discussion Thread
  • Name Poll (2 Days)
Phase III: 4 Days + Spillover
  • Begin Pokedex Entry Submission Thread
  • Movepool Specifics (2 Days)
  • Begin Analysis Thread
  • Sprite Poll Thread & Pokedex Poll Thread (2 Days Total, simultaneous threads)
  • Etc (Pre-Evolutions, Height, Weight, Finish Analysis)
  • Complete
Average time of project, not counting spillovers: 33 Days.

>> No objections at all here, everything sounds pretty reasonable.<<

Specifics:
What is the "Step [Y] Discussion Thread"?
The Discussion thread is a thread created at various points throughout the creation of a given Pokémon. It is a thread that is used to discuss any given step of a poll, before the poll is created. Multiple steps can use a discussion thread such as this, including "Overall Stats", "Ability", and "Name". These threads are used for gaining submissions, gathering ideas, and general think-tanking before a poll begins.

Before, these threads would not receive their own threads, and would instead be done in the thread of the current poll. This would make things hard to follow, and ideas could be easily overlooked. Examples of how threads such as these would be used include the previously used "Art Submission", "Movepool Discussion", "Pokedex Submissions", and "Sprite Submissions" threads.

>> I like the idea, but if we implemented this, some polls would have very little discussion on them. However, I don't see anything inherently bad on that, but I wanted to note it, just to make sure this is taken into account.<<

Why do some steps not have timetable next to them?
The steps without a timetable are generally discussion or submission threads. They're in effect until the thread they correspond to becomes active, usually a few days later after the discussion or submission thread is started.

What is Spillover, and why is it included in the timetable?
Spillover is a general term for when a conclusive result is not reached by the end of a thread's normal timetable allotment. A prime example of this would be if, during the main typing thread, two types come out to both be in the general area around 40%. Another thread would then be created to determine which result would be the final choice. This thread would be the spillover thread, and must be completed before the next step can begin.

>> Spillover could end up using a lot of time, if not managed properly. Just 3-4 polls with close results would result in at least 3-4 more days of extra polls, and most if not all the polls in the two previous projects have had extra polls. Shortening the duration of all polls to 1 or 2 days maximum could help decreasing the time total. It was stated before, and it's true: After roughly one day of voting, the results are basically the final ones.<<

What are the various polling choices?
There are 4 ways to poll.

First is the "standard poll", where you use the basic board options to set up a poll for up to 10 choices. This is the most basic, and can easily be used for the majority of polls.

Second is the "check poll", where you use the board options to set up a poll for up to 10 choices. The difference between the "check poll" and the "standard poll" is how many choices you can vote for. In a "standard poll", only one option can be voted on. In a "check poll", any number of choices can be voted on. This is mostly used on polls where the outcome has multiple options, or doesn't matter as much, such as with the Pokedex Poll thread.

Third is the "bold poll", where the voters must make a post with their votes cast in bold font. Make sure that, in a poll based on this method to make it clear that no one is to post the current tally of votes. Only the Topic Leader is to do this, if they wish to at any point up to the end of the vote.

Fourth is the "preferential poll", where the voters must make a post with their votes cast in preferred order, in bold font. This style of voting has the voter rank their top 25-40% of the available choices. This is then done with a weighted system. The numbers for each rank depends on the number of overall options available, and the Topic Leader chooses how many ranks the voter chooses. The voter should not have more than 4 ranks available to choose. Here's a short table for how to rank each option based on the number of choices:

The option with the most points at the end of the voting period is declared the winner.

The Topic Leader is allowed to use any voting option they desire for a poll, as long as it fits with the votable options available.

>> I'd prefer if the polling method is fixed for each poll, it would make the process clearer and faster. We could experiment in the next project with different options, but in the end there should be a method for each poll. The suitability of one polling method for a certain aspect is something that should be invariant from project to project, I don't see why different projects should have different polling methods. Is there any reason? Once we find a polling method that is ideal for each section, we should stick with it.

Also, the "check" method should never specify an amount of options to click, since we can't control that. I know you didn't mentioned this, but it was mentioned before, and I wanted to point that out.

Finally, if you're worried about counter voting in the preferential poll method, I don't think it's wise to weigh the options that much. If someone counter-votes, the counter-vote has a greater impact when the first and third options are separated by 5-7 points than when they are separated only by 2 points. I'd make every option have a number of points directly related to its position (that is, in a 3 options poll, number 1 gets 3 points, number 2 gets 2 points, and number 3 gets one point).<<

How are the Overall Stats chosen?
The Topic Leader chooses the method in which to choose the stat spreads. The TL can either create a submission thread for anyone to submit spreads, or ask specific members to create spreads. Generally, the TL will choose members to create the spreads and have them submitted by the end of the Base Stat Total poll. The option is there, however, to have the general populace create spreads if the TL chooses to.

All spreads would need to have reasons for the given stats. At least some of the stats have to have specific reasons, such as being able to live through a specific attack, OHKO/2HKO something with a generic attack (for generic, think 80BP STAB or 70BP without STAB). The other stats can have more vague reasoning, stating which stats could change if need be to fit the Base Stat Total, which would be polled on during this time as well.

The TL then chooses which spreads to use for the Overall Stats poll, or how to adjust the submitted spreads if they don't fit.

>> I think it would be convenient to let people submit their BST proposals, and let the TL decide which ones enter the polling phase, and which ones don't. That way, anyone in the community can contribute, as long as his/her proposal is well-thought and well explained, as you suggested. Handpicking certain people, however well suited for the task they are, could end in some uninspired choices from some of them. You don't always have great ideas, after all. Allowing everyone to submit BSTs would make possible to find a hidden gem of a BST that otherwise would have been ignored if not everyone could send them.<<

What are the general choices for the Base Stat Total thread?

When is the Pokemon's purpose, or concept, discussed?
This can be discussed as early as the Main typing thread, or as late as the Movepool Discussion thread. There's no set time for when people can start formulating ideas on what to do, but the purpose is cemented by the time the Movepool is complete. This means it should be discussed earlier, so that the stats, ability, and movepool can fit the theme of the Pokemon.

>> That's a good compromise, I like it. <<

What types should be included in the Main Typing Poll?
Eleven or Twelve types total. This is all the types minus those that were used in the last Pokemon created (if only one type used, or one of the other subtracted types, twelve total types will be in the poll), Dragons, Water, Flying, and Normal. These can be included in the secondary typing polls, however.

>> However, we shouldn't discard making those types appear in the first poll some day. I know there are a lot of normal and waters, but we can strive to create an original and good pokémon starting from those types. For the sake of variety, they're fine out now, but the exclusion shouldn't be permanent.<<

What should be included in the Secondary Typing Poll?
In the secondary typing poll, allow every type except for ones that are already predominant in the Pokedex. This includes combinations such as Fire/Fighting, Ground/Rock, and things of that nature. Also include a "No secondary type" option.

What do I do if the polls are close? How close is close enough for a spillover poll? How long should a spillover thread last?
This is up to the discretion of the Topic Leader. Generally, the "close enough" point would be within 10% or so of the leading vote, but this obviously cannot be the definitive statement for all polls. If it's a large optioned poll, make a spillover poll with those who were leading, and then continue until an option has at least 50% of the votes, or is a clear cut winner. Spillover threads should last between one and two days, though usually a single day will suffice.

>> Again, I think this is one point that I'd like to see regulated. Making a clear cutoff point is mandatory if we want to avoid conflicts in the future.<<

Did I forget anything, anything need to be added? I tried to take as much input as I could to make it.

By the way, and despite all my critics, good job, Dane.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alternatively, a stat-spread similar to Starmie's could be justified by giving a promise as to a good defensive movepool.

And what would balanced be considered as? Both offense and defense being somewhere in the 90-100 range? Or would it be offense and defense being somewhere in a similar range?

Balanced means that the pokémon can take hits as well as it can dish them out. What does that mean, stats-wise? I'd say that the offensive and defensive stats should be within a ~20% margin of variation. That is, 110 in offense and 90 on defense (or vice versa) should be the most extreme case in which we could call the spread "balanced". Any higher than that (say, 120 defense and 90 offense) should be considered either defensive or offensive, but not balanced.

>> Spillover could end up using a lot of time, if not managed properly. Just 3-4 polls with close results would result in at least 3-4 more days of extra polls, and most if not all the polls in the two previous projects have had extra polls. Shortening the duration of all polls to 1 or 2 days maximum could help decreasing the time total. It was stated before, and it's true: After roughly one day of voting, the results are basically the final ones.<<
I could see that. The problem is just giving enough time on the polls, as well as not going overboard. I'll write up a possible alternate, shorter timeline in a few minutes and just edit it into this post when done.

I'd prefer if the polling method is fixed for each poll, it would make the process clearer and faster. We could experiment in the next project with different options, but in the end there should be a method for each poll.
Agreed, but as of now I could see some of the steps using multiple voting processes effectively.

As for the weighted voting, it was mostly to make it more similar to a standard vote, while still giving access to "backup" votes, in a sense.

>> Again, I think this is one point that I'd like to see regulated. Making a clear cutoff point is mandatory if we want to avoid conflicts in the future.<<
Agreed, but it's hard to give a specific cut-off without providing examples. If I had to say, I'd say within 10% (total vote wise, not 10% of the percent of votes) of the leader's vote, and anything within 2% of whatever might be tailing that 10%. (ex: Leader has 30% of votes. Second has 23%, third has 20%, fourth has 18.5%, and fifth has 12%. The first 4 would be brought in to the spillover poll, since fourth is so close to the last option.)

By the way, and despite all my critics, good job, Dane.
Thanks.

And what would balanced be considered as? Both offense and defense being somewhere in the 90-100 range? Or would it be offense and defense being somewhere in a similar range?
I'd say the number itself isn't important, as it is what that number is in relation to the other numbers. So a balanced Pokemon would have similar stats in it's offense/defense, though if stated specifically in a spread, could lean towards one a little stat-wise (like Starmie) but be given a great movepool for the other side (again, like Starmie).

*edit*
Balanced means that the pokémon can take hits as well as it can dish them out. What does that mean, stats-wise? I'd say that the offensive and defensive stats should be within a ~20% margin of variation. That is, 110 in offense and 90 on defense (or vice versa) should be the most extreme case in which we could call the spread "balanced". Any higher than that (say, 120 defense and 90 offense) should be considered either defensive or offensive, but not balanced.
This is also a great explaination.

Ok, possible alternate timetable:

Phase I: 9 Days + Spillover
  • Main Type (3 Days)
  • Style (Offensive/Defensive/Mixed) (2 Days)
  • Build (Physical/Special/Mixed) (2 Days)
Phase II: 14 Days + Spillover
  • Art Selection (2 Days)
  • Begin Main Ability Discussion Thread (1 Day)
  • Secondary Ability Selection (1 Day)
  • Name Poll (1 Day)
Phase III: 2 Days + Spillover
  • Movepool Specifics (1 Day)
  • Begin Analysis Thread
  • Sprite Poll Thread & Pokedex Poll Thread (1 Day Total, simultaneous threads)
  • Complete
Average time of project, not counting spillovers: 25 Days.

It may be a good idea to give a good definition on Offensive, Defensive, Mixed, Physical, Special, and Balanced a little. I know that some of them are obvious based on appearance alone but IIRC people were confused when Revenankh was going to be Physical Balanced.

Edit: Nevermind, I think Time Mage gave me my answer.

That quote by Time Mage was so good, I added it to the long post I had last page (in quotations of course).

Still, let me expand on that a bit, since I agree that those concepts have to be crystal clear for everyone:

Style: Refers to the relation of the offensive and defensive stats. Can be offensive, defensive or balanced.

- Offensive: A pokémon is considered offensive if at least one of the attacking stats is more than a 20% higher than the highest defensive stat.
- Defensive: A pokémon is considered defensive if at least one of the defensive stats is more than a 20% higher than the highest offensive stat.
- Balanced: If the stats don't fulfill the requisites for being offensive nor defensive, they are considered balanced.

Build: Refers to the specialization of the main stats. Can be physical, special, or mixed.

- Physical: A pokémon is considered physical if its main stats (offensive, defensive, or both) are 30% higher than the corresponding special counterpart.
- Special: A pokémon is considered special if its main stats (offensive, defensive, or both) are 30% higher than the corresponding physical counterpart.
- Mixed: If the stats don't fulfill the requisites for being physical or special, they are considered mixed.

Note: The build considerations are made having in mind the Style chosen before. When voting on the build of a Defensive pokémon, we are choosing if it will take hits from the physical side, from the special side, or from both. If we are discussing the build of an Offensive pokémon, we are voting on if it attacks physically, specially, or using both stats. In the case of a balanced pokémon, the build discussion should be split in two parts, taking into account the offensive and defensive capabilities (this can be easily done with bolded voting).

By the way, I need help with that 30% threshold. In some cases it seems too high (is a pokémon with 110 Defense and 85 Special Defense considered a mixed wall?), but in others it makes sense (A pokémon with 115 attack and 90 special attack can use both stats very well for offense).

Make it 20%. Should be the same for everything.

Also you've got to factor in HP there somewhere IMO.

Yeah, it's hard to get a definitive number for build. For instance, Tyranitar has an attack stat difference of 29.1%, and while his physical attributes are generally better, he does have a BOAH set. Then you have guys like Charizard, who have higher special attack than attack by 23%, yet is used both ways, and is often thought of more for it's attack than special attacks.

One thing I'd change though, is make it so the secondary stat has to be X% lower than the primary stat. Using your 115/90 example with 30% difference, this change would make it 115/80.5 which seems perfectly logical. Using your 110/85 example with 50% difference, it would be 110/55, which would then get good HP to reflect it's physical build.

I'd also say it's different depending on the style. So an offensive style should be about 30% difference, that seems like a good number. Give it moves to compliment it's primary stat, and maybe enough of the other stat for a gimmick set.

A defensive style should probably be more along the lines of a "2 out of 3" sort of thing, depending on what build it gets. Meaning two of the three defensive stats are much higher than the third. I'd say the difference mark for this has to be 50%.

Examples to back this up:
Tangrowth - 100/125/50 - Physical
Blissey - 255/10/135 - Special
Dusknoir - 45/135/135 - Balanced

Defensive Physical builds would have high HP and Defense, Defensive Special builds would have high HP and Special Defense, and Defensive Balanced builds would have high Defense and Special Defense. I left off legendaries because they don't follow the rules of normal Pokemon.

1. Whether it's a completely new Pokemon or a new evolution of a previous Pokemon could be discussed during the typing threads, art threads, or somewhere in there. I was under the impression that, for the time being at least, we were trying to avoid making new evolutions though. Maybe I just misread, or thought I read it when it wasn't there?
Well the project itself isn't trying to avoid making evolutions of old pokemon but I think people prefer the creatively freedom of a new pokemon than a evo.

Oh, and if we want to possibly have an Evolution/New poll, it could go after the typing polls. That way, we can get the types we want, and then if it fits as possibly being an evolution type, it has a chance. Do we really want to have new evolutions at this point in CAP though? It really limits art, stats, style, build, and movepool selections.
Yes a new evolution would limit all those creative aspects in the project, thus that's why most of the voters chosen to make it a new pokemon for now.

2. Yes, those two days are for any edits, late submissions, etc that the artists want to do based on finalized stats, or just finish up what they had been working on but not yet completed.
Okay, I just wanted to know for myself. I think it's would work out perfectly for those who want their pokemon concept fit the stats spread.

3. Style and Build are different enough that they really need to be separate polls, at least in my opinion. The only ones that I feel should be combined were the two I combined in the end of Phase III since they aren't impacted by each other.
Okay, I thought Style and Build were so alike that it was okay to combine them both. TM's explaining the subtle differences between them help me understand that they should be in separate polls.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The TL Candidate thread has been open for almost three days. I think that is enough time to collect a slate and gather support. If there's no objection, I will be convening a TL Selection Panel starting later today.

I would like the TL selection panel to be permanently composed of past TL's that desire to serve on the panel. Those people will select additional panelists, as they deem necessary. A new panel will be assembled before each project. I will serve as an impartial chairman of the Selection Panel. I will only vote for a TL in the case of a tie.

Hyra and Cooper are the current panelists. Hyra suggested Sunday, Deck Knight, and eric the espeon as additional panelists. Cooper, are there any additional members you would like to add to the panel? If so, propose them in this thread. Later today, I will send PM's to the Selection Panel and collect feedback.

If anyone wants to propose anything different, I'm open to ideas. If all this is OK, then we should write up the TL Selection Process and add it to the guide. I think the posts in this thread have all the relevant information. I just want to make sure we incorporate this first part of the process in our overall process guide.

i think the base stats should be done differently because if we allow people to just vote their is gonna be little variation.

If we say we are making 40 new pokemon then we should sample the metagame.So we are left with a list of say

4 less then 500
20 500-510
6 515-524
4 525-534
6 600
i think its alot more creative and interesting to be challenged to make a competitive pokemon out of a 480 base stat total.

in fact personally i think it would be better to look at each gen and make a smaller gen but based on a similar structure. Say we wanted 50 pokemon then we could set out and focus on a list like this:

3 starters
9 evos
legendary trio
600 bst(chomp,nite,tyranitar etc)
600 legendary(celebi etc)
4 less then 500
21 500-510
6 515-524
4 525-534

Im not saying we need to make useless fish/bugs etc or pre evos or anything that is not gonna be competitive but some type of direction would be nice. Or there is a good chance were gonna end u with alot of pokemon all OU based on their high bst alone with no real connection to each other.

Also i thought the original purpose of this project was an attempt to balance the metagame(not that this is possible), if we are so against evos we are gonna still be left with all the useless pokemon that make the metagame unbalanced to start with.

Just a little insight: 40 Pokemon would take years to create. Using 33 days as an average time to create a Pokemon(though it would likely be more after spillover and such), only 11 are made per year.

I really don't see the difference between 480 BST and 500+ BST. It's just numbers, and usually it's unimportant stats that artificially increase a Pokemon's BST. Using Breloom (460 BST) as an example, where you could increase his BST by increasing his special attack, doesn't change him unless you overdo it. If you increased it by say, 25, he would go from 460 BST to 485 BST, but function exactly the same.

Another example is Heracross. He's currently a 500 BST, but you could easily take him up to 540 and not change his overall functions. Just put 40 more points into special attack, and he's still the same (outside of possibly the occasional HP Ice usage).

Base stats don't make a Pokemon OU, otherwise Arcanine would be one of the most OU Pokemon in the metagame. The BST should serve as nothing more than a base board for what to base the Pokemon on. The movepool (and to some extent, ability) is what defines an OU Pokemon.

As for the list of what to make, I'm sure eventually something like that will end up being made, but the problem is that it will take years before it's done, so let's not focus too much on specific "slots" to fill.

The metagame isn't unbalanced because of some Pokemon being useless. It's because of other Pokemon being so powerful. If you can make Pokemon that counter those, or at least scare them, then you create more balance in the metagame, as long as what you create doesn't break it moreso than it was before. Evolutions would only really serve to limit our movepool, art, stats, style, build, and possibly even ability choices.

Yeah, it's hard to get a definitive number for build. For instance, Tyranitar has an attack stat difference of 29.1%, and while his physical attributes are generally better, he does have a BOAH set. Then you have guys like Charizard, who have higher special attack than attack by 23%, yet is used both ways, and is often thought of more for it's attack than special attacks.
Yes, you're right. I think the percentages should only be considered as guidelines for shaping the BSTs. But in the end, you can have pokémon with high differences in the stats who can use the other stats well, whether it be because of good movepool for that stat, or because the primary stat being so high that a 20% worse secondary stat is still very good (that's Tyranitar, for example).

One thing I'd change though, is make it so the secondary stat has to be X% lower than the primary stat. Using your 115/90 example with 30% difference, this change would make it 115/80.5 which seems perfectly logical. Using your 110/85 example with 50% difference, it would be 110/55, which would then get good HP to reflect it's physical build.
I can't understand this, and it seems a pretty important point of your argument. Could you explain it again to me?

I'd also say it's different depending on the style. So an offensive style should be about 30% difference, that seems like a good number. Give it moves to compliment it's primary stat, and maybe enough of the other stat for a gimmick set.
Yeah, a 30% difference is maybe more appropriate for distinguishing between offensive, defensive and balanced style.

A defensive style should probably be more along the lines of a "2 out of 3" sort of thing, depending on what build it gets. Meaning two of the three defensive stats are much higher than the third. I'd say the difference mark for this has to be 50%.

Examples to back this up:
Tangrowth - 100/125/50 - Physical
Blissey - 255/10/135 - Special
Dusknoir - 45/135/135 - Balanced

Defensive Physical builds would have high HP and Defense, Defensive Special builds would have high HP and Special Defense, and Defensive Balanced builds would have high Defense and Special Defense. I left off legendaries because they don't follow the rules of normal Pokemon.
I think HP shouldn't be taken into consideration when deciding if a pokémon is defensive physical, defensive special, or defensive mixed. HP always affect both defenses, so determining if the method of defense is physical, special or mixed is only based on the defense stats balance, or lack of it. After deciding the build for defensive pokémon, you can opt for high HP and not that high defenses (Swampert, Snorlax, Jirachi, Celebi), small HP and high defenses (Dusknoir, Probopass), or an intermediate approach. Since we are not determining the amount of base stats, but rather their difference, we can toy with the stats distribution quite a lot.

I didn't mention this before, but we should be asking somewhere about the speed stat, that one is very important. Even if it's just a "high or low" question (high being >85, low being <85, for example).

Ah, I almost forgot! As a clarification to the Build phase: In the case of a "balanced" style, both the defensive and offensive stats should be voted, but if the pokémon is considered either offensive or defensive, the weak stats should be left to the creativity of the BST submitters.

I can't understand this, and it seems a pretty important point of your argument. Could you explain it again to me?
Basically, if you get the percent difference of the the main stat being a certain amount higher than the secondary stat, you get a different amount than if you use the percent difference of the secondary stat being a certain amount lower than the main stat.

Say you wanted to use 100 as the main stat. Assume the percent difference is 30% for the next examples. By using the "main stat being a certain amount higher than the secondary stat" method (hereby referred to as the "MGS" method), the secondary stat would need to be 76.9 or lower. By using the "secondary stat being a certain amount lower than the main stat" method (hereby referred to as the "SLM" method), the secondary stat would need to be 70 or lower. Basically, the formulas for both would be:

MGS:
Main_Stat = Secondary_Stat * 1.3
or
Secondary_Stat = Main_Stat / 1.3

SLM:
Secondary_Stat = Main_Stat * 0.7
Main_Stat = Secondary_Stat / 0.7

In short, with the "MGS" method, the main stat is dependant on the secondary stat. With the "SLM" method, the secondary stat is dependant on the main stat.

I think HP shouldn't be taken into consideration when deciding if a pokémon is defensive physical, defensive special, or defensive mixed. HP always affect both defenses, so determining if the method of defense is physical, special or mixed is only based on the defense stats balance, or lack of it.
It's not so much that HP determines whether it's physical, special, or mixed, but more than whether it's physical, special, or mixed determines it's HP. If it's mixed, it would be low, if it's not mixed, it'll be high. (Not necessarily Blissey high, but not Dusknoir low, in the case of non-mixed tanks.)

After deciding the build for defensive pokémon, you can opt for high HP and not that high defenses (Swampert, Snorlax, Jirachi, Celebi), small HP and high defenses (Dusknoir, Probopass), or an intermediate approach. Since we are not determining the amount of base stats, but rather their difference, we can toy with the stats distribution quite a lot.
Of course. I left out Jirachi and Celebi because they're legendary, but otherwise I agree. I was mostly going for basic descriptions as tanks. I personally wouldn't call Swampert a tank, since he's really more of a Balanced Mixed thing with good typing.

I didn't mention this before, but we should be asking somewhere about the speed stat, that one is very important. Even if it's just a "high or low" question (high being >85, low being <85, for example).
I figure this is an adjustable stat during the Overall stat total poll. Some of the options will have different stats, speed being the main one. Otherwise the spreads would all be relatively similar, and there wouldn't be much to vote on.

Ah, I almost forgot! As a clarification to the Build phase: In the case of a "balanced" style, both the defensive and offensive stats should be voted, but if the pokémon is considered either offensive or defensive, the weak stats should be left to the creativity of the BST submitters.
By this do you mean, if balanced and you get to the build phase, have a bold vote with one vote for Offense and one for Defense? Ie: Don't force it to share it's offensive and defensive build with each other?

If so, that's a good idea, and should be included.

*edit*
Btw, I've been updating my post on the previous page, attempting to keep everything of importance in a singular post for ease of transition from this thread to an eventual Process Guide thread. I've linked said post in my signature.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dane's three examples aren't really all that representative.

Hippowdon: 108/118/72
Poliwrath: 90/95/90
Swampert: 100/90/90
Meganium: 80/100/100
Blastoise: 84/100/105
Nidoqueen: 90/87/85
Hypno: 85/70/115
Gyarados: 95/79/100
Ninetales: 73/75/100
Umbreon: 95/110/130

While there are some examples like Drifblim, Hariyama, and whatever that have extraordinary high HP and bleg defenses, the fact remains that not all pokemon are so easily pidgeonholed.

Dane's three examples aren't really all that representative.

Hippowdon: 108/118/72
Poliwrath: 90/95/90
Swampert: 100/90/90
Meganium: 80/100/100
Blastoise: 84/100/105
Nidoqueen: 90/87/85
Hypno: 85/70/115
Gyarados: 95/79/100
Ninetales: 73/75/100
Umbreon: 95/110/130

While there are some examples like Drifblim, Hariyama, and whatever that have extraordinary high HP and bleg defenses, the fact remains that not all pokemon are so easily pidgeonholed.
I'll edit out the HP part of my post then, since that does kind of show HP isn't influenced too much by their other defensive stats. I'd just like to point out though, that under the definitions we wrote up all of them I believe would be classified as Defensive Mixed Pokemon or Balanced Mixed Pokemon.

this is why it would be much better to give people the bst then have them just submit stat spreads instead of following a mixed,offensive,defensive criteria.

Everyone who wants to or is selected, submits a stat spread as well as a good description behind the choices. The tl or a group of you picks 10-25 they feel cover the widest range of roles and are the most realistic then they are polled.

MGS:
Main_Stat = Secondary_Stat * 1.3
or
Secondary_Stat = Main_Stat / 1.3

SLM:
Secondary_Stat = Main_Stat * 0.7
Main_Stat = Secondary_Stat / 0.7

In short, with the "MGS" method, the main stat is dependant on the secondary stat. With the "SLM" method, the secondary stat is dependant on the main stat.
I see. It's really the same, so I don't care which method is chosen. MGS stats can be converted to SLM stat just by making the inverse of those numbers. Your 0.7 proposal would be the same as my proposal but with 1.43 instead of 1.3. In this specific example, however, I find that 0.7 (or the inverse, 1.43) is too much of a difference in most cases. When the main attacking stat is very high, unless you choose a very high threshold you will always have a somewhat usable secondary stat, but when the main stat is not in the 130+ range, a 30% difference ("MGS" type) or a 75% difference ("SLM" type) should be enough.

What Deck Knight said. There are many tank spreads that do not have a direct relation to HP, so we should treat HP separately.

I figure this is an adjustable stat during the Overall stat total poll. Some of the options will have different stats, speed being the main one. Otherwise the spreads would all be relatively similar, and there wouldn't be much to vote on.
Fair enough. As long as the options are varied, that's a good solution.

By this do you mean, if balanced and you get to the build phase, have a bold vote with one vote for Offense and one for Defense? Ie: Don't force it to share it's offensive and defensive build with each other?

Yeah, I mean exactly that.

Bold that part of the sentance because it didn't made much sense to me. Also, about this Main Stat/Secondary stat thing, what does it really mean anyway? Is it like for example Metagross whom Main stats are Attack&Defense while it's Secondary stats are Sp. Attack&Defense?

Basically, for the bold vote, they would bold one vote for it's offensive spread and one for it's defensive. Such as:
Offensive: Mixed
Defensive: Special
All 9 available Offensive/Defensive choices are in the large post on the previous page.

Metagross would have Atk/Def as it's main stats, and SpAtk/SpDef as it's secondary.

I believe I'll edit the numbers though, 50% difference for defensive mains seems a little high now, I'll drop it down to 30% like with offense.

*edit*
Btw, the more I look at it, the better the alternate timetable looks. Grants a good amount of time, and yields time for spillovers without taking forever:
Alternate Timetable to allow more spillovers without drastically increasing average time of project:
  • Main Type (3 Days)
  • Art Selection (2 Days)
  • Name Poll (1 Day)
  • Movepool Specifics (1 Day)
  • Begin Analysis Thread
  • Complete

I'd make some changes (in red). Namely:

Alternate Timetable to allow more spillovers without drastically increasing average time of project:
  • Main Type (2 Days)
  • Secondary Type (1 Days)
  • Art Selection (2 Days)
  • Name Poll (1 Day)
  • Movepool Specifics (3 Day)
  • Begin Analysis Thread
  • Complete
I've removed one day from the main type poll, and 1 for the secondary type, and I've added those to the Movepool specifics. The reason is that choosing a type doesn't need much discussion, but discussing all the possible moves a pokémon can, should, cannot and shouldn't have takes a lot of discussion.

Maybe just 1 day to the secondary type is too little, though.

I figured, for secondary typing, that one day just wasn't enough and that it needed two. For the main typing, I'd normally say it only needs two, but since it's the first step, I gave it three. People may not realize the next project has started, so I gave it an extra day to compensate for that possibility.

As far as movepool specifics go, I figured most of the discussion for the moves would have already been discussed in the "Movepool Discussion Thread", though that could easily be given a extra day or two, depending on how long the rest of the process had taken.

Perhaps moving the Movepool discussion thread to begin at the same time as the ability or name discussion/submission thread to give a little more discussion time? (In fact, for now I'll make this small change to the movepool discussion timeslot in the large post, it can be edited later.)

maybe start ability and movepool discussion in the same thread and why have 3 days for selecting abilities just needs the discussion and then two topics/polls selecting abilty over two days.

Secondary type i would extend to two days because i think their should be more discussion about the typing and people can post descriptions of the combination as was done with ghost/fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)