Metagame Z-Shift

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7zshift-36886

I think this is broken? Priority seems to be taken from the wrong move. I had HJK as my first slot for Medicham and it was getting priority on Feint / Fake Out. Other examples are in that battle but that's the most obvious It's also the only set I'm not embarrassed of.
Z-Shift is kinda bugged in the fact that priority isn't being transferred onto the chosen move, so High Jump Kick -> Feint would get +2 priority. I believe once that bug is worked out stuff like Feint -> High Jump Kick would get +2 priority instead.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Z-Shift is kinda bugged in the fact that priority isn't being transferred onto the chosen move, so High Jump Kick -> Feint would get +2 priority. I believe once that bug is worked out stuff like Feint -> High Jump Kick would get +2 priority instead.
Who can we have code this OM properly to fix this?

I so want this OM to be OMotM

Does it take a turn to perform just the Z-shift, or would one turn consist of performing a Z-shift and then the move which received the shift? So if you had

Victini @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Power-Up Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike​

then would turn #1 be Z-shift 180 power from V-create to Power-Up Punch, and turn #2 be the first turn to actually do damage (and get attack boost)? Or would you do 180 fight damage and get attack boost on turn #1, immediately after you Z-shift?

The Z-Shift happens in one turn. Victini powers up using Fightinium Z and then uses Power-Up Punch with 180 BP and Fire-typing that same turn according to turn order.
It would be interesting to make Z-shifting take up a turn without attacking, making players choose between Z-shifting to attack on turn 2 (perhaps with Z-shift-increased priority) and attacking immediately. For example, a player, on Victini's first turn, would have to choose between Victini:

A) Z-shifting {V-create --> power-up punch} for subsequent turns, but dealing no damage or effect on first turn --> risk of 1HKO or 2HKO if opponent is faster/uses (possibly Z-shifted) increased priority moves

B) Going straight to using V-create, taking the usual defense, special defense, and speed penalties, hoping that it 1HKOs the opponent before it can Z-shift (or 2HKO if Victini is > 1.5x faster and the opponent doesn't Z-shift increased priority)

C) Doing something else like try to status the opponent with thunder wave (the act of Z-shifting no longer will check accuracy and will skip other inhibitors like paralysis or taunt, but using the Z-shifted move will still check accuracy/paralysis/taunt/etc)​

This would move some of the decision-making from the team builder to the battlefield.

People who don't want a balanced metagame, for starters. The following damage calculation has Water-typing and BP of 110.

+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Giratina: 475-560 (94.2 - 111.1%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO

It would be fun for a few games, and then the ladder would settle into a trainwreck.

If you want to Z-shift, you still have to be using an actual Z-crystal, and not anything else like a Focus Sash, so Cloyster might have a tougher time actually getting to +2 there and surviving (since everything else will be throwing around Z-moves too).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
If you want to Z-shift, you still have to be using an actual Z-crystal, and not anything else like a Focus Sash, so Cloyster might have a tougher time actually getting to +2 there and surviving (since everything else will be throwing around Z-moves too).
But cloyster still has good defense, not special defense, so it could take a powerful physical neutral or resisted attack and Shell smash, especially if Shell smash goes last so you take the hit before the defense drops.

Is pursuit any good in this meta? I assume it'd be a wonderful revenge killing tool but I can't think of any great users for it. Was thinking weavile but the damage output is a bit lackluster when not holding an item, even if the BP is ridiculous.

The only other ones I can think that may be good are Snorlax (though normal is far from an ideal attacking type) and Krookodile (all around underwhelming, but 117 Base attack isn't completely terrible and Moxie + a more powerful pursuit definitely sounds like a fun combo, yet if you go with EQ it means that flying types can't be trapped)

Possibly Hitmonlee too but, not really worth using a team slot for.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Is pursuit any good in this meta? I assume it'd be a wonderful revenge killing tool but I can't think of any great users for it. Was thinking weavile but the damage output is a bit lackluster when not holding an item, even if the BP is ridiculous.

The only other ones I can think that may be good are Snorlax (though normal is far from an ideal attacking type) and Krookodile (all around underwhelming, but 117 Base attack isn't completely terrible and Moxie + a more powerful pursuit definitely sounds like a fun combo, yet if you go with EQ it means that flying types can't be trapped)

Possibly Hitmonlee too but, not really worth using a team slot for.
What about Scizor for Pursuit? You could also use Bullet Punch as a boosted base power Attack or add priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)