Ubers Yveltal

Yveltal's good offensive typing, relatively good offenses, and great ability allow it to fill the role of an offensive threat in Ubers. Its defensive presence is nothing to scoff at either; immunities to Ground and Psychic and resistances to Dark and Ghost let Yveltal switch in on many key threats like Lunala if predicted correctly. Its movepool provides valuable priority, utility, and recovery as well. A Life Orb set that takes advantage of these qualities is recommended:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch / Focus Blast / Heat Wave

Dark Pulse is powered up by Dark Aura and has great coverage with Oblivion Wing, which also heals Yveltal's damage, especially from Life Orb. Taunt lets Yveltal stop offensive and defensive threats alike, preventing Xerneas's Geomancy, Arceus's Defog, and most importantly recovery, allowing Yveltal to wallbreak quite effectively. Taunt and Oblivion Wing together also help Yveltal beat most support Arceus formes one-on-one. Knock Off severely weakens many threats; in particular, Geomancy Xerneas loses its Power Herb and Chansey loses its Eviolite. Knock Off is also Yveltal's hardest hitting move against Ho-Oh. Sucker Punch lets Yveltal hit faster threats and function as a priority user on its team if necessary. If running that move, a Rash or Mild nature can be used over Naive. Heat Wave and Focus Blast are both coverage options to hit Magearna and opposing Dark-types, respectively.

Despite its immunities and resistances, many Pokemon Yveltal may like to switch in on carry coverage against it, Primal Groudon's Stone Edge and Lunala's Ice Beam being good examples. Fairy-types also give Yveltal quite a bit of trouble, resisting Dark Pulse and many being bulky enough to easily take two or three Oblivion Wings. Arceus-Fairy is the best check to Yveltal due to its bulk and typing, and Magearna, Xerneas, Tyranitar, and Arceus-Dark make for great checks for similar reasons. Other checks to Yveltal include Ho-Oh, Tapu Koko, Arceus-Ice, Arceus-Rock, and Arceus-Electric.

Last edited by a moderator:
+Speed nature should be the main nature here. Rash + Sucker Punch, while going well together, don't reflect Yveltal's current use in the meta. Outspeeding as much as possible is wanted from this mon currently.

Spotlight QC came to this conclusion:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch / U-turn / Heat Wave

Change up the writing to reflect this and I'll take another look.

+Speed nature should be the main nature here. Rash + Sucker Punch, while going well together, don't reflect Yveltal's current use in the meta. Outspeeding as much as possible is wanted from this mon currently.

Spotlight QC came to this conclusion:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch / U-turn / Heat Wave

Change up the writing to reflect this and I'll take another look.
Ya sorry my old one reflected the meta around a month ago when I wrote this. I fixed it up for you :)

I'd note that Taunt stops recovery from mons before noting that it can prevent Defog or Geomancy. It wallbreaks that way!

"any other Pokemon, mega Pokemon and Z-move users excluded, loses its item to a Knock Off."

Arceus formes are immune as well. Knock Off is Yveltal's strongest move against Ho-Oh (Foul Play hits harder but isn't on this set).

I'd note Arceus-Ice/Rock as Yveltal checks before Arceus-Electric as they are more commonly seen mons. Blissey and Chansey are not checks to the set slashes at all. Yveltal has to be full special without Taunt to be threatened by blobs. Sets with that kinda moveset likely have U-turn as a 4th move anyway sooo remove that.

QC 1/2

I'd note that Taunt stops recovery from mons before noting that it can prevent Defog or Geomancy. It wallbreaks that way!

"any other Pokemon, mega Pokemon and Z-move users excluded, loses its item to a Knock Off."

Arceus formes are immune as well. Knock Off is Yveltal's strongest move against Ho-Oh (Foul Play hits harder but isn't on this set).

I'd note Arceus-Ice/Rock as Yveltal checks before Arceus-Electric as they are more commonly seen mons. Blissey and Chansey are not checks to the set slashes at all. Yveltal has to be full special without Taunt to be threatened by blobs. Sets with that kinda moveset likely have U-turn as a 4th move anyway sooo remove that.

QC 1/2
Implemented!

what exactly is a vanilla geomancy xernras

why isn't u-turn mentioned in the paragraph but is slashed on the set? i'd just replace it with focus blast.

QC 2/2

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hi, gp 1/1

Yveltal's good offensive typing, relatively good special and physical offenses, and great ability, (RC) allow it to fill the role of a great offensive threat in Ubers. Its defensive presence is nothing to scoff at either;(semicolon) a Ground- and Psychic-type immunity and a Dark- and Ghost-type resistance lets immunities to Ground and Psychic and resistances to Dark and Ghost let (this is pretty subjective, but i think it flows better) Yveltal switch in on many key threats if predicted correctly, Lunala being especially notable. Its Speed and priority in Sucker Punch also let it attempt to KO threats before they can KO Yveltal. Finally, Yveltal has some pretty good utility moves in Knock Off and Taunt, (RC) and can heal itself up quite well with Oblivion Wing.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch / Focus Blast / Heat Wave

Life Orb Yveltal aims to maximize attacking power with Life Orb. Dark Pulse is Yveltal's best Dark-type STAB move and is generally a great move to spam with Dark Aura to deal as much damage as possible. Oblivion Wing is an excellent Flying-type STAB move that hits nearly every threat that resists Dark Pulse, as well as healing up Yveltal's HP after any damage, especially Life Orb damage especially being healed off by this move. Taunt lets Yveltal stop offensive and defensive threats alike, (AC) stopping a Xerneas's Geomancy or an Arceus's Defog, (RC) and most importantly stopping most Pokemon from recovering, allowing Yveltal to wallbreak quite effectively. Taunt and Oblivion Wing together also help Yveltal one on one beat most support Arceus formes (RH) one-on-one. Knock Off allows Yveltal to severely weaken many threats—Geomancy Xerneas loses its Power Herb, Chansey loses its Eviolite, and any other Pokemon, Mega Pokemon, Arceus formes utilizing Plates, and Z-Move users excluded, loses its item to a Knock Off. Knock Off is also Yveltal's hardest hitting move against Ho-Oh. Sucker Punch lets Yveltal hit faster threats and function as a priority user on its team if necessary. Heat Wave and Focus Blast are both coverage options to hit Magearna and opposing Dark-types, (AC) respectively. Yveltal's EVs are used to maximize its Speed and Special Attack as well as put slightly more power into Yveltal's Attack (4 attack is nothing, i wouldn't bother mentioning it). A Naive or Hasty nature helps maximize Yveltal's Speed while keeping both of its not lowering any of its offensive stats in tact. A Rash or Mild nature may also be used to maximize Special Attack without decreasing Attack or Speed, (RC) and works better with Sucker Punch.(AP)

However, Yveltal has a few major weaknesses. One such weakness is that despite its immunities and resistances, many Pokemon it may like to switch in on carry coverage against it, Primal Groudon's Stone Edge and Lunala's Ice Beam being good examples. Fairy-types also give Yveltal quite a bit of trouble, resisting its STAB Dark Pulse and many being bulky enought o enough to easily take 2 or 3 two or three Oblivion Wings. Arceus-Fairy is the best check to Yveltal due to its bulk and typing, and Magearna and Xerneas make for great checks for similar reasons. Tyranitar and Arceus-Dark also make for good checks to Yveltal due to their typings and bulk. Other checks to Yveltal include Ho-Oh, Tapu Koko, Arceus-Ice, Arceus-Rock, and Arceus-Electric.

So what are you waiting for? Bring the Destruction Pokemon into battle and see what it can do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)