What TV shows/movies would make for good video games?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Posting here instead of Firebot or GL because I want to.

When watching movies and TV shows I often find myself wondering what they'd be like if they were a video game (and I mean a proper video game: not those dumb cash-grabs that you always get when a big movie is released which are doomed to failure from the start). It's been proven multiple times that it is very possible to make a good adaptation of a TV show or its universe into a video game–just look at the video games in the Dragon Ball and Star Wars franchises, for instance. Is there anything that you think has the potential to make for a good video game?

Personally, I think that Made In Abyss has everything that it needs to be a fundamentally excellent exploration-based 3D platformer and/or action-adventure game. Reg's arms provide an interesting method of traversing the Abyss, and the 'Curse of the Abyss' would make for an extremely interesting mechanic between it adding a small amount difficulty early on in the game and proceeding to act as a bigger/more punishing restriction to upward travel when trying to traverse the deeper layers of the Abyss. I reckon that, while it would be linear due to the inability to travel to previous layers, there is a lot of ways that can allow the game to feel less linear due to the mostly open-world nature of exploration in the abyss, and the game would also have potential with regards to how relics are integrated; there could be mechanics which restrict the total weight of relics you are able to carry with you and, concequently, restricting the perks they are able to provide the player with–sort of like armour in most JRPGs, except that you can't theoretically carry every relic you obtain throughout the game until completion without it coming at the cost of remaining inventory weight which is available for other, more powerful relics (and potentially also attaching drawbacks such as decreased movement speed, stamina, upward travel range etc. when carrying a larger weight of inventory at any given time). I just think there is so much potential in it as a concept that someone could tap into at some point in the future if they were to put their mind to it.

ATLA would make a good RPG or action/adventure game, especially if done by a competent studio not forced to give it the treatment all other licensed games get.

And I am aware there are Avatar games but they all suck.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
ATLA would make a good RPG or action/adventure game, especially if done by a competent studio not forced to give it the treatment all other licensed games get.

it'd be cool if there were Avatar games for the kinect, that'll be how I work out every day lol

I guess the TV series "The 100" could be kinda like a choose your own adventure (like dark souls and how your choices have different consequences/outcomes throughout the game) which would be kinda cool.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
My Hero Academia please. The "build your own superhero" game hasn't been done properly yet, and the fictional world that MHA has set up so far would be incredible in a video game scenario. Action RPG would be great, but fuck, a Tekken fighter with MHA characters would be pretty fucking baller too. In the same vein, a The Incredibles could also have a pretty neat RPG setting. Also a fucking good Harry Potter game.

I always thought a Scribblenaughts-esque game around Fairly Odd Parents would be really cool set in an adventure/puzzle platformer, have to figure out puzzles and stuff using creative wishes. A Pokemon-esque Lilo & Stitch was something I always wanted too growing up.

Oh, and a Firefly Red Dead Redemption game, only replacing horses with spaceships.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
DC Legends of Tomorrow I feel like could be a cool campaign style game

Same with Arrow

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With my favorite games being the Arkham series, I feel like Gotham would make a hella good game. A less-Batman focused game, and a more down-to-earth Jim Gordon as main character with more "realistic" villains. A /much/ better L.A. Noire/Hitman

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
agree with martin on made in abyss game, that would be rad.

i distinctly remember enjoying an avatar game very much as a child

My Hero Academia please. The "build your own superhero" game hasn't been done properly yet, and the fictional world that MHA has set up so far would be incredible in a video game scenario. Action RPG would be great, but fuck, a Tekken fighter with MHA characters would be pretty fucking baller too. In the same vein, a The Incredibles could also have a pretty neat RPG setting. Also a fucking good Harry Potter game.
most of these are incredibly hard to pull of in videogames if you want some variety to player powers but i hear there are some pretty good ttrpgs.

Personally, I think that Made In Abyss has everything that it needs to be a fundamentally excellent exploration-based 3D platformer and/or action-adventure game. Reg's arms provide an interesting method of traversing the Abyss, and the 'Curse of the Abyss' would make for an extremely interesting mechanic between it adding a small amount difficulty early on in the game and proceeding to act as a bigger/more punishing restriction to upward travel when trying to traverse the deeper layers of the Abyss. I reckon that, while it would be linear due to the inability to travel to previous layers, there is a lot of ways that can allow the game to feel less linear due to the mostly open-world nature of exploration in the abyss, and the game would also have potential with regards to how relics are integrated; there could be mechanics which restrict the total weight of relics you are able to carry with you and, concequently, restricting the perks they are able to provide the player with–sort of like armour in most JRPGs, except that you can't theoretically carry every relic you obtain throughout the game until completion without it coming at the cost of remaining inventory weight which is available for other, more powerful relics (and potentially also attaching drawbacks such as decreased movement speed, stamina, upward travel range etc. when carrying a larger weight of inventory at any given time). I just think there is so much potential in it as a concept that someone could tap into at some point in the future if they were to put their mind to it.
I swear I've ranted to you about made in abyss being an excellent video game concept before

I've always thought the Kino's Journey has the potential to be an excellent open world RPG, you'd go from town to town on your motorbike completing side quests and hearing the stories of the locals.

I know that similar games already exist but something along the lines of The Martian, where you have to survive and build up a colony on a foreign planet.

An school set RPG with lots of gambling, card games and crazy characters like kakegurui would be pretty cool.

Also I know that it is the inverse of what you are talking about but there are so many games and visual novels that would be awesome as anime. Stardew Valley would be a top notch slice of life. If I'm ever rich I will fund an anime of Katawa Shoujo and then fund one of Kindred Spirits on the roof. A drama of alien diplomacy and space colonisation inspired of off one of my many Stellaris games would make for an epic series. Get on that HBO.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My Hero Academia please. The "build your own superhero" game hasn't been done properly yet, and the fictional world that MHA has set up so far would be incredible in a video game scenario. Action RPG would be great, but fuck, a Tekken fighter with MHA characters would be pretty fucking baller too.
Super Smash Bros except instead of Nintendo characters it features My Hero Academia characters y/y (alternative: Rivals of Aether with MHA chars>RoA characters; it's basically the same idea from a concept standpoint anyway)

It's a book series, but I'd like to see an MMO based on the world of Amber. The idea being that it'd be like the good version of No Man's Sky, people start in different places and expand along different directions in the multiverse, creating worlds instead of discovering them. This would obviously be really sophisticated and years down the line but it would also be really cool.

A game based on Inception would be cool, something like a couch co-op where everyone has a very different job to perform in completing a complex task.

Martin

Not technically a movie unless you count the shitty unfaithful adaptation of the first book (The Golden Compass), but I really want to see Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials adapted into a video game or maybe even a faithful hand-animated TV series at some point. The worlds in the books is just so detailed and interestimg, and being able to explore it myself—running around the streets of Lyra’s Oxford and waging wars with Gyptian kids; sneaking around in the ceiling at Bolvangar (and sneaking off to free the previously-cut dæmons during the fire drill); fighting with Tullio in the Torre degli Angeli; stealing the alethiometer back from Sir Charles Latrom using the subtle knife’s portal-esque mechanic; waking up and rescuing Lyra from Mrs Coulter; fending off the church as Lee Scoresby; hell, even just exploring the planes of Cittàgazze’s universe while being careful to avoiding spectres when playing as an adult character like Serafina Pekkala. The cast is diverse and could lead to a variety of different ways of exploring and solving puzzles.

Also on the topic of books, perhaps a Discworld adaptation could be pretty cool if hamdled correctly. The books are pretty weird so I don’t know what form it would take, but I’m sure someone would be able to come up with something that isn’t shit.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I think an Impractical Jokers video game would be hilarious as well as interesting. Also, I know there are video games that may be similar to the concept of The Hunger Games, but I think an actual Hunger Games video game series would be cool (just the games part, forget the romance).

akaFila

butterscotch love
I think an Impractical Jokers video game would be hilarious as well as interesting. Also, I know there are video games that may be similar to the concept of The Hunger Games, but I think an actual Hunger Games video game series would be cool (just the games part, forget the romance).
You mean PUBG??

And what would IJ have in the form of a game? It’s improv comedy :pikuh:

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Tbh, Futurama sounds like a pretty cool game. Idk exactly what it would be but all that “future technology” in Futurama seems like it could have some really cool gameplay elements. Plus, there would be no shortage of enemies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)