SM OU Volcarona + Tapu Fini Balanced Offense

Who should be my secondary physical attacker?

• Total voters
Introduction:
So it's been over a year since I've played OU and I've only recently caught up with date with all the changes in Sun and Moon OU. I decided to make my new team revolve around my favorite Pokémon, Volcarona, especially now that it is better in the current meta than it was in XY and ORAS.

Teambuilding Process:

I started off with a standard offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona.

Volcarona heavily relies on Defog or Rapid Spin support and I found defensive Tapu Fini to be among the best Defoggers for the team. Not only did it's typing complement Volcarona but Misty Terrain prevented the paralysis that would cripple it and Toxic which would reduce its longevity.

I needed someone to set up Stealth Rock to ensure KO's that I'd otherwise miss with Fire Blast and Landorus-T provided that along with some the ability to check dragon types and KO Heatran, which would otherwise wall the team.

Landorus-T was neither strong enough nor fast enough to be my main physical wallbreaker so Mega Lopunny filled that role nicely and offered a way to take out Chansey and Blissey.

The team at this point was lacking strong switch into Special Attackers so Assault Vest Magearna functioned as my team's tank and gave some much needed super effective coverage.

Lastly, the only thing left for my team was a secondary physical attacker and Bisharp helps against opposing ghost, psychic, and fairy types, especially Latios and Tapu Lele.

In Depth Analysis:

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Volcarona can punch holes through entire teams once it is allowed to set up. I opted for Psychium Z instead of the usual Firium or Buginium Z because Fire Blast is already powerful enough as it is and it hits hard for neutral damage against threats that resist its fire STAB. Shattered Psyche after a Quiver Dance boost also KO's Toxapex at full health, making Volcarona the perfect Toxapex bait. I opted for Giga Drain as opposed to Hidden Power Ground for the recovery and extra power since the latter was relatively weak while the former helps surprise non-bulky water types like Keldeo and Greninja while finishing off weakened opponents.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 4 SpA / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog
Tapu Fini is usually my usual lead since Taunt can shut down slower opposing leads like Ferrothorn and Toxapex, allowing Volcarona to switch in. Nature's madness is the most reliable way to weaken annoying or bulky threats while Moonblast works as a backup attack. Hydro Pump low accuracy and Scald inability to burn under Misty Terrain made both inferior options. Most EVs were invested in Defense to help it sponge physical attacks while a Calm nature with 16 EVs balanced out its defenses. The 52 EVS in Speed helps it outspeed uninvested Landorus-T. Assuming Tapu Fini survives much later in the game, it is a useful switch into predicted status moves.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
Defensive Landorus-T is a reliable switch into physical ground and dragon types thanks to its typing and investment in its Defense. EQ is its powerful STAB and makes up for the lack of investment in its attack. HP Ice helps weaken Garchomp, Zygarde, and opposing Landorus-Ts as well. U-turn gives it momentum and helps it switch into either Tapu Fini or Magearna if threatened by a strong special attacker, especially one with Ice Beam. I often find myself using Stealth Rock in the mid-game after Volcarona faints so Tapu Fini won’t worry too much about clearing both sides with Defog.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out
High Jump Kick is my go-to STAB attack of choice while Return is used when the opponent resists fighting moves or if I want to avoid the risk of missing on a frail target. Power-Up Punch gives a free boost on targets with low HP so I use it only when I’m sure it will KO a target or when it’s needed to 2HKO a bulky Pokemon. Fake Out can either be used a starting move to break Focus Sash or as a priority attack just in case the opponent has a strong boosted attacker with low HP.
Alternate Option: I may switch Power-Up Punch with Ice Punch for guaranteed KOs against Garchomp and Zygarde

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
Fleur Cannon is Magearna’s most common STAB for a quick KO against most frail Pokemon or Pokemon weak to fairy. Flash Cannon helps against opposing fairies and weakened Pokemon just in case I want to save Fleur Cannon and avoid the Special Attack drop (even with Soul-Heart activated). While Magearna can usually tank a super effective STAB ground move at full HP, I usually use Ice Beam for super effective coverage. Volt Switch gives it a chance to switch out of a poor matchup against walls that it can not deal with.
Alternate Option: I might switch out Volt Switch with Shift Gear and build a faster offensive set but I don’t think I’m ready to give up it’s special bulk.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
I have 252 EVs in HP to help Bisharp survive strong attacks long enough to set up with Swords Dance. Knock Off is my strongest move and is often useful against walls like Chansey. Iron Head helps with its flinch rate and ability to take out fairies, most notably the Tapus. Sucker Punch is my most powerful priority and I can use it to trick an opponent into setting up while I use Swords Dance.
Alternate Option: I’m seriously thinking about swapping Bisharp with a bulky Swords Dance Scizor because it fills a similar role, has a stronger and more reliable priority move, and takes hits much better.

Thanks in advance!​

Hey, cool team u have there i really like it! However i think some changes can be done.

I'd suggest changing Giga Drain on Volcarona to Hidden Power Ground, as now ur Volcarona is walled by Heatran. Personally i am not a fan of Tapu Fini in this current meta outside of specific teams and i don't think this is one of those specific teams, i think Latios would work better in this spot because 1 its a fast scarfer and 2 its a good defogger; while also being able to beat mons like Volcarona and Charizard-Y while also revenge killing Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny, they are all big threats to ur team because Tapu Fini gets worn down too fast. I don't think its worth running PuP on Lopunny if it's not Encore, thus i suggest changing it to Ice Punch because Landorus-Therian MU is p bad rn. I suggest changing ur Magearna to Celesteela because Celesteela also walls mons like Tapu Lele and Mega Diancie, but Celesteela i feel is better in this case because it can spread Leech Seeds for ur team giving it more durability then Magearna. Lastly i feel like neither Bisharp or Scizor fit; both are dog shit in this meta and i don't see them providing too much for ur team. Personally i think u should use Ash Greninja or Heatran in ur last slot, both take advantage of Mew while the first one is a very good mon that breaks Mega Lopunny's checks, but i think that Heatran being able to beat stall is also really nice thus i suggest testing both.

/

Be sure to let me know how u like my rate!
By the way just a quick note, don't build around mons giving certain coverage too much; just because they get this coverage doesn't mean they actually beat the mon that it hits in a 1v1.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey myusernamesucks really cool team. Now I have to say I really enjoyed reading your RMT, also that the rate from ThiccTornadus was cool. The only reason I'm writing this up is because when I was looking at what I would want to do I felt like I would do something very similar (with just a few differences to make the team flow a bit more smoothly imo). So with that in mind let's jump into the rate. The first things I notice are that the team doesn't handle opposing Volcarona very well, Heatran is another tough mon for the team to break, and the team also has a general inability to revenge kill threats.

Major Changes:

>
Similarly to ThiccTornadus I feel Ash Greninja is a great substitution for Bisharp. Ash Greninja provides the team with a fast offensive mon capable of wall breaking, which Bisharp with a base speed of 70 fails to accomplish. Greninja also provides the team with another way to break Heatran which was a noted threat from earlier.

>
I also like the idea of changing your removal, and using a lati similarly to thicc - but that's where the similarities start to waver. I want to add a Scarfed Latias over Tapu Fini. Latias gives the team a nice check to opposing Volcarona in conjuncture with Ash Ninja (Water Shuriken). Latias is similar to Latios, but Latias provides the team with a more solid water resist + it provides Healing Wish for the team which helps the team in terms of overall longevity.

Minor Changes:

The team at this point is sort of lacking in its ability to handle fatter teams, so I would try out a Power Up Punch + Encore set that would help you with threats like Toxapex and Mew. Also feel free to try out something like Facade over Return to minimize the effect things like Will-O-Wisp and Scald burns. I feel this change will help the team overall improving the teams match up vs fatter teams.

I actually really like Magearna on this team. The synergy of defensive Landorus-T + AV Magearna is really nice. However, I do feel the Magearna set you chose could be improved. First I would suggest Iron Head> Flash Cannon. This change allows Magearna to handle double dance Magearna that could be problematic for the team otherwise. I also want to suggest a more SpDef oriented spread (248 Hp / 8 SpA / 252 SpDef Sassy Nature).

Conclusion:

That's all I really have on the team. I really enjoyed working on this, and hopefully between ThiccTornadus and I you can find the right team for you. If you have anymore questions or concerns regarding the team let me know either in this thread or pms. Have a great day, and enjoy using the team!

Oh also regarding the Volcarona set which had a suggested change I feel with this variant including M-Lopuuny, Greninja, and Landorus-T (and even AV Mage who draws it in just to get Volt Switched on) you should be fine with your original set.

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)