SM OU Volcarona+M-Gyarados Offensive Team

Introduction

In Generation V, Volcarona was introduced as BW's premier Fire and Bug type. Its absurd Special Attack, alongside access to moves like Fire Blast, Giga Drain, and the legendary Quiver Dance, ensured its solid place in OU. Fast forward about 5 or so years and Volcarona is still in OU, despite a dip into BL during the XY days. However, nowadays Volcarona faces numerous challenges. For starters, Stealth Rocks still clip half its health upon switch-in, and, while Priority is mostly gone thanks to the likes of Tapu Lele running amok, the threat within Pokemon such as Mimikyu still prove that Priority can absolutely destroy setup sweepers like Volcarona. This team is designed to not only support Volcarona, but provide alternate options for the fiery moth.

Teambuilding Process

First off, Mew. Mew is the resident shutdown Pokemon, with Defog to stop Stealth Rocks and/or Entry Hazards. With Will-O-Wisp, Mew can also shut down Pokemon like Bisharp that would prove a huge problem otherwise.

Since the beginning, I had Volcarona in mind for this team. Its wallbreaking attributes alongside access to an amazing move in Z-Fire Blast after even one Quiver Dance prove that no Steel, Grass, Ice, Bug, or Neutral-Resistant Pokemon will not fall with one blow.

While building the team, I realized I needed another setup sweeper, especially one that can take care of Rock-Types. Mega Gyarados proves amazing at this, as access to both Waterfall and Earthquake destroy Rock-Types that would prove to be a problem otherwise.

To complete a pseudo-FWG Core, Kartana was yet another amazing sweeper that synergized well with Volcarona and Gyarados, taking care of threats like Ferrothorn or Toxapex that neither of them could. With 181 Base Attack, Kartana proves to be the greatest Glass Cannon the team has to offer.

However, with Celesteela, Skarmory, Bisharp, and other strong Steel Types running rampant, I realized that I needed a counter for these Pokemon to be punished for switching in. With Thunderbolt and HP-Fire, alongside Magnet Pull, Magnezone can put a stop to numerous Steel-Type related shenanigans.

Without Mimikyu, not only would dragons like Salamence prove to be problematic for this team, but Mega Medicham would tear through this team like gift wrap on Christmas Morning. Seeing as 3/6 Pokemon are weak to it, Mimikyu provides an excellent answer to the Psychic/Fighting type, as Shadow Sneak at +2 would OHKO it easily. Mimikyu can also one-shot bulky Pokemon such as Unbound Hoopa with a +2 Play Rough.

The Team

@

Ability- Synchronize
EVs- 252 HP | 144 Def | 112 Spe
IVs- 0 Atk
Nature- Timid

Ice Beam | Will-O-Wisp | Softboiled | Defog
Using the Defensive Set on Smogon's Dex, Mew can shut down Pokemon like Whimsicott, Toxapex, Smeargle that set up Hazards, and setup sweepers such as Bisharp with Will-O-Wisp. Ice Beam is for coverage, as a measure against Landorus-T, who commonly leads teams with Stealth Rocks, alongside making Mew not Taunt Bait.

@

Ability- Flame Body
EVs- 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
IVs- 0 Atk
Nature- Timid

Quiver Dance | Fire Blast | Giga Drain | Hidden Power [Ground]
Volcarona is the star of the team, with Quiver Dance for boosting its already amazing Special Attack stat, alongside Special Defense and Speed, Fire Blast for providing not only raw firepower for Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Kartana, but also providing an amazing move for Inferno Overdrive to use. Giga Drain is for Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados and other Water Types, alongside bringing fantastic sustain, and Hidden Power Ground for Rock-Types and Magnezone without an Air Baloon

@

Ability- Intimidate
EVs- 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Nature- Jolly

Dragon Dance | Earthquake | Waterfall | Substitute
As the main Physical Sweeper, Gyarados proves to be highly efficient at what it does. Because certain types are weak against Flying types, I can Mega Evolve Gyarados depending on the situation. If there is a Grass or Fighting Type on the opposing side, then I don't need to Mega Evolve in order to keep my own resistances. Gyarados, after a Substitute, can safely Dragon Dance until +2 in most circumstances. After that, it is safe to Mega Evolve and wreck house with Earthquake against Electric Types such as Tapu Koko, and Waterfall for STAB damage.

@

Ability- Beast Boost
EVs- 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Nature- Jolly

Swords Dance | Leaf Blade | Smart Strike | Sacred Sword
Kartana's Focus Sash ensures that it won't die in one shot due to a Fire-Type move from a slower Pokemon, and allows it to use Swords Dance safely. After that initial turn, Kartana can use its main STAB moves, Leaf Blade and Smart Strike, for amazing damage on a wide variety of Pokemon, or Sacred Sword against Pokemon like Bisharp, assuming Kartana is healthy, of course. Kartana also has a secondary use: Blocking Spore Moves and Toxic. Thanks to the Grass Type's properies, it cannot get statused from a Grass-Type Status Move like Spore from Smeargle.

@

Ability- Magnet Pull
EVs- 140 HP | 192 SpA | 176 Spe
Nature- Modest

Volt Switch | Hidden Power [Fire] | Thunderbolt | Flash Cannon
Magnezone's ability to punish Pokemon like Bisharp or Celesteela are like no other. Thanks to the ability Magnet Pull, no Steel-Type Pokemon can switch out after Magnezone is in play. After the opposing Steel-Type is appropriately punished, with Thunderbolt for Steel/Flying types in Skarmory and Celesteela, and HP-Fire for other Steel Types like Kartana and Bisharp, Magnezone ensures that none of the Steel-Type setup Pokemon can wreck house on the team.

@

Ability- Disguise
EVs- 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Nature- Adamant

Swords Dance | Shadow Sneak | Play Rough | Shadow Claw
Mimikyu is this team's extra Sweeper, in case things go south for the main Core of the team. Ghost/Fairy STAB covers a large portion of the type chart with at least Neutral Damage, but its real saving grace comes with Swords Dance. After only one boost from it, Mimikyu can one-shot threats that would otherwise prove worrisome for the team, such as Mega Medicham (which counters 3/6 of the team) Mega Lopunny (which does the exact same thing, but can also hit Mimikyu and is immune to Shadow Sneak/Claw) and opposing Setup Pokemon for foolishly trying to set up against a Pokemon with an instant-Substitute. Moveset is standard otherwise.

Conclusion

This team proves to be highly effective in its job of supporting Volcarona, with an 7-3 W/L Ratio in my own tests. However, if Mimikyu dies due to Mega-Lopunny shenanigans, then the entire team falls apart pretty easily. Also, some Stall Teams can wreck house on Pokemon that are not Kartana or Magnezone. Other than that, a reasonably solid team.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 HP / 192 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Huge shoutout to MightyGod from Pokemon Showdown for helping me with this team. Especially in helping me realize that Mega Medicham was such a huge counter for the team that needed to be taken care of.

Last edited:
Hey dude very cool team you have there, but theres one problem thats bugging me. You dont have a rocker. Trust me, later in the ladder its necessary to have a hazard setter on your team as it turns many 3HKO's into 2HKO's and 2HKO's into OHKO's. Right now, Mew's the only one with access to rocks but all its moves are needed so im kinda stuck rn

Hey dude very cool team you have there, but theres one problem thats bugging me. You dont have a rocker. Trust me, later in the ladder its necessary to have a hazard setter on your team as it turns many 3HKO's into 2HKO's and 2HKO's into OHKO's. Right now, Mew's the only one with access to rocks but all its moves are needed so im kinda stuck rn
Mew's Defog removes Rocks on the opposing side, too. If Mew had Rapid Spin instead I would be more accepting of that strategy. I was legit considering it at the start, but as it stands right now, not a chance.

Nice team you have there. I noticed something right off the bat from the introduction, you're very weak to ground types (mainly Dugtrio) + Tapu Koko. You have no resist to ground type moves unless your Gyarados doesn't mega evolve. If Dugtrio is to trap Magnezone and knock it out, you have no real Tapu Koko answer. Kartana doesn't check it if it's sash is broken.
Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 254-299 (98 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Everything else gets 2HKO. Mega Gyarados goes down to a T-Bolt all the time. You have a chance to revenge kill it with mimikyu if it's disguise isn't broken and 2HKO Tapu Koko with Play Rough. So changing assault vest to Shed Shell instead. You won't get trapped and you'll have a better check to Tapu Koko. I would recommend changing Mega Gyarados to Flyinium Z Gyarados and Firium Z Volcarona to Charti Berry / Life Orb Volcarona. A regular Gyarados provides you with an immunity to ground type moves (Not Thousand Arrows.) Kartana doesn't really check anything it's allies can check so I recommend changing it to either Mega Pinsir for an offensive presence or Mega Scizor have more of a defensive presence.

Changes:
----->

----->
/

----->

----->

Sets:
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Earthquake / Crunch

Volcarona @ Life Orb / Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

P.S if you use the Mega Scizor set then you can replace Defog on Mew to Stealth Rocks.

Last edited:
Nice team you have there. I noticed something right off the bat from the introduction, you're very weak to ground types (mainly Dugtrio) + Tapu Koko. You have no resist to ground type moves unless your Gyarados doesn't mega evolve. If Dugtrio is to trap Magnezone and knock it out, you have no real Tapu Koko answer. Kartana doesn't check it if it's sash is broken.
Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 254-299 (98 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Everything else gets 2HKO. Mega Gyarados goes down to a T-Bolt all the time. You have a chance to revenge kill it with mimikyu if it's disguise isn't broken and 2HKO Tapu Koko with Play Rough. So changing assault vest to Shed Shell instead. You won't get trapped and you'll have a better check to Tapu Koko. I would recommend changing Mega Gyarados to Flyinium Z Gyarados and Firium Z Volcarona to Charti Berry / Life Orb Volcarona. A regular Gyarados provides you with an immunity to ground type moves (Not Thousand Arrows.) Kartana doesn't really check anything it's allies can check so I recommend changing it to either Mega Pinsir for an offensive presence or Mega Scizor have more of a defensive presence.

Changes:
----->

----->
/

----->

----->

Sets:
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Earthquake / Crunch

Volcarona @ Life Orb / Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

P.S if you use the Mega Scizor set then you can replace Defog on Mew to Stealth Rocks.
Thanks, I would like to point out that, while I have not only not seen Dugtrio (yet) or that Volc is still one-shot by Stone Edge, even with Charti Berry, the changes were still beneficial. Gyarados can now puncture holes in teams he couldn't before (i.e Pelipper) and M-Pinsir finally gives me an answer to Mega Lopunny, while keeping Mega Medicham a nonissue. I'll put a changelog in the main post later today, but for now, thanks!

Thanks, I would like to point out that, while I have not only not seen Dugtrio (yet) or that Volc is still one-shot by Stone Edge, even with Charti Berry, the changes were still beneficial. Gyarados can now puncture holes in teams he couldn't before (i.e Pelipper) and M-Pinsir finally gives me an answer to Mega Lopunny, while keeping Mega Medicham a nonissue. I'll put a changelog in the main post later today, but for now, thanks!
No problem, just happy to help out.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
While Mew's Defog does remove SR on your side as well, I'd still heavily recommend having a rocker. It's pretty much a necessity in today's metagame, helping keep many top threats in check and accumulating chip damage against walls which greatly aids a potential Volcarona / Gyarados sweep. Having both SR and Defog on your team isn't a bad thing - it gives you the flexibility to adjust your hazard control strategy depending on the matchup and how the game proceeds. Aside from that, it's a pretty cool team you have here. I'll do my best to help further your goal of a Volcarona sweep while keeping your team's main core intact.

Regarding where you can fit in a rocker, I honestly think Mimikyu is the most replaceable Pokemon on your team since as it seems to have been chosen as an extra setup sweeper without any real synergy in mind. You'd be better off trying to effectively support a Volcarona or Gyarados sweep rather than simply packing a lot of setup sweepers together. Keeping this in mind, along with the fact that your team really needs a reliable switch-in to top threats like Zygarde, Garchomp and Mega Pinsir, I'd suggest replacing Mimikyu with a defensive Landorus-T. Landorus provides you with an excellent pivot to get your sweepers in safely, and handles a lot of threats to your team thanks to its impressive physical bulk. Rocky Helmet is also extremely useful for accumulating chip damage on powerful physical sweepers like Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham. This, in conjunction with Intimidate, takes a lot of pressure off Mew, since you relied on it far too much previously. The standard Smogon set should do well here:

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

My second major recommendation is to try an Assault Vest Magearna over Magnezone. The reason for this is that Kartana and Mega Gyarados are nowhere near bulky enough to switch into powerful Water attacks from the likes of Keldeo, Kingdra and Ash-Greninja. You also lack a reliable way to deal with Gengar, as none of your Pokemon outspeed it and Shadow Ball tears through everything if you haven't evolved Gyarados yet. I don't think that losing Magnezone will hurt you much, since removing Steel-types doesn't really help Volcarona or Mega Gyarados sweep any more effectively. If anything, these two can take advantage of the likes of Celesteela, Magearna and Skarmory to set up. I'd suggest using a set of Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Fire / Volt Switch, and an EV spread of of 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD with a Calm nature that allows Magearna to comfortably switch into Specs Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Your current lack of a revenge killer means that naturally fast Pokemon and setup sweepers like Ash-Greninja, Volcarona and Mega Tyranitar can be quite the pain to deal with. As such, I think it would be a good idea to run a Scarf on Kartana instead of a Focus Sash. Kartana's typing and coverage allows it to reliably handle the above threats as well as many others like Adamant Mega Swampert in the rain, Scarf Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam and Mega Lopunny. Admittedly removing SD makes your team less threatening against more defensive builds, but I believe the utility that Kartana provides is necessary here. Regardless, Volcarona and Mega Gyarados should have more than enough firepower to threaten most teams. I'd recommend using the standard set of Leaf Blade / Smart Strike / Sacred Sword / Aerial Ace.

I'd like to finish off with a couple of minor suggestions. Psychic on Mew could be an option to try out now that you have HP Ice Landorus to deal with Zygarde and Garchomp. Psychic hits Mega Lopunny, Mega Heracross, Keldeo and Toxapex much harder, making it easier for Mew to KO / stall them. Finally, Taunt on Mega Gyarados prevents Toxapex and Skarmory from using Haze and Whirlwind, while retaining Substitute's ability to block Celesteela's Leech Seed. Both work well though, so it's down to personal preference really. Good luck, and I hope my suggestions help.

While Mew's Defog does remove SR on your side as well, I'd still heavily recommend having a rocker. It's pretty much a necessity in today's metagame, helping keep many top threats in check and accumulating chip damage against walls which greatly aids a potential Volcarona / Gyarados sweep. Having both SR and Defog on your team isn't a bad thing - it gives you the flexibility to adjust your hazard control strategy depending on the matchup and how the game proceeds. Aside from that, it's a pretty cool team you have here. I'll do my best to help further your goal of a Volcarona sweep while keeping your team's main core intact.

Regarding where you can fit in a rocker, I honestly think Mimikyu is the most replaceable Pokemon on your team since as it seems to have been chosen as an extra setup sweeper without any real synergy in mind. You'd be better off trying to effectively support a Volcarona or Gyarados sweep rather than simply packing a lot of setup sweepers together. Keeping this in mind, along with the fact that your team really needs a reliable switch-in to top threats like Zygarde, Garchomp and Mega Pinsir, I'd suggest replacing Mimikyu with a defensive Landorus-T. Landorus provides you with an excellent pivot to get your sweepers in safely, and handles a lot of threats to your team thanks to its impressive physical bulk. Rocky Helmet is also extremely useful for accumulating chip damage on powerful physical sweepers like Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham. This, in conjunction with Intimidate, takes a lot of pressure off Mew, since you relied on it far too much previously. The standard Smogon set should do well here:

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

My second major recommendation is to try an Assault Vest Magearna over Magnezone. The reason for this is that Kartana and Mega Gyarados are nowhere near bulky enough to switch into powerful Water attacks from the likes of Keldeo, Kingdra and Ash-Greninja. You also lack a reliable way to deal with Gengar, as none of your Pokemon outspeed it and Shadow Ball tears through everything if you haven't evolved Gyarados yet. I don't think that losing Magnezone will hurt you much, since removing Steel-types doesn't really help Volcarona or Mega Gyarados sweep any more effectively. If anything, these two can take advantage of the likes of Celesteela, Magearna and Skarmory to set up. I'd suggest using a set of Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Fire / Volt Switch, and an EV spread of of 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD with a Calm nature that allows Magearna to comfortably switch into Specs Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Your current lack of a revenge killer means that naturally fast Pokemon and setup sweepers like Ash-Greninja, Volcarona and Mega Tyranitar can be quite the pain to deal with. As such, I think it would be a good idea to run a Scarf on Kartana instead of a Focus Sash. Kartana's typing and coverage allows it to reliably handle the above threats as well as many others like Adamant Mega Swampert in the rain, Scarf Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam and Mega Lopunny. Admittedly removing SD makes your team less threatening against more defensive builds, but I believe the utility that Kartana provides is necessary here. Regardless, Volcarona and Mega Gyarados should have more than enough firepower to threaten most teams. I'd recommend using the standard set of Leaf Blade / Smart Strike / Sacred Sword / Aerial Ace.

I'd like to finish off with a couple of minor suggestions. Psychic on Mew could be an option to try out now that you have HP Ice Landorus to deal with Zygarde and Garchomp. Psychic hits Mega Lopunny, Mega Heracross, Keldeo and Toxapex much harder, making it easier for Mew to KO / stall them. Finally, Taunt on Mega Gyarados prevents Toxapex and Skarmory from using Haze and Whirlwind, while retaining Substitute's ability to block Celesteela's Leech Seed. Both work well though, so it's down to personal preference really. Good luck, and I hope my suggestions help.
The addition of Rocks, while at first seemingly counterintuitive to Mew's Defog, actually helps in the long term. Mew with Ice Beam still works out though, as it OHKO's Lando-T far more efficiently than Lando-T's own HP-Ice without the risk of being hit with HP-Ice yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)