SM OU Victory Squad

Introduction

I’m Warrior0926, and this is my first RMT, so I apologize in advance if it’s bad. While I’ve played Pokemon for a long time, I never really got into the competitive scene until recently, and even then, I wasn’t great at team building. However, I feel like this team has some potential, so without further ado, here it goes.

Teambuilding Process

Starting this team, I knew I wanted to build it around Mega Mawile because I needed to start somewhere and something that hits ridiculously hard seemed like as good a place as anywhere.

Next up, Greninja! I wanted something that could provide two roles at once, something to set up spikes, and something to dish out some damage. Greninja fit that role perfectly. In addition, I decided to combine some sets I'd seen before, that is, spikes and all-out attacker.

In the past, I've always strayed away from using Landorus-T because it was way overused. Not only is that the name of the game, but it's overused for a reason: it's good, and it fits into so many roles. The role I chose for it was Choice Scarf. Its innate high attack and speed allow it to pivot while also dealing damage.

I wanted another powerhouse on the team because, well, why not? I decided to go with Victini because I'd never used it before. Plus, there are almost no switch ins to banded STAB V-Create. Getting Victini in for free may not be the easiest thing to do, but it sure is rewarding.

It was at about this point that I realized it would be smart to add some hazard control. Because I was using spikes on Greninja, I didn't necessarily want a defogger, because spike setup is time consuming, so I went with the best spinner in the tier: Excadrill. This also gave me the option to set up rocks in addition to spikes.

Finally, I realized that, for the most part, my team was lacking defensively. While I could dish out some good damage, I knew I'd have a hard time switching into opponent's attacks. To remedy this, I decided to go with physically defensive Suicune. Paired with calm mind for special defense and rest for recovery, Suicune has become a tank that is a thorn in my opponents' sides.

Sets

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

I chose a relatively standard set for Mawile, choosing SD over All-Out Attacker because I wanted something that could set up and hit anything hard, no matter what tried to come in. This is the same reason I chose to use Thunder Punch over Knock Off, as is suggested by some; I wanted a coverage move to hit opponents not otherwise crippled by Play Rough or Sucker Punch. The speed investment allows Mawile to outspeed uninvested Pokemon with base 70 speed.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory

As I said before, I wanted Greninja to play a dual role. Due to this, I didn't want to hinder its adaptability with a choice item. Spikes allow this team to have a second form of hazards for opponents that enjoy switching a lot. Hydro Pump is a good STAB move, obviously. Gunk Shot is meant to handle fairy types, as it is capable of easily 2HKOing Clefable and Tapu Fini and OHKOing other Tapus. Extrasensory is added to the set to punish Venusaur and Toxapex, which is able to 2HKO either (though it may be a roll if Venusaur uses Giga Drain).

0- Atk Expert Belt Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 238-281 (60.4 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Expert Belt Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 238-281 (69.3 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 190-226 (62.5 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 182-218 (50.1 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Landorus-Therian works as a good offensive pivot on this team. Choice Scarf all but ensures that Lando will be able to U-turn before the opponent moves, and it allows for surprise attacks in the form of Earthquake or Stone Edge on what should be a faster Pokemon. Explosion is a last resort attack, most often used for when Lando is on low health and there is no reason to not go BOOM!

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

As mentioned before, Victini's purpose on this team is to dish out major damage to whatever decides to come in. If you're able to get Victini in without taking damage, banded STAB V-Create has almost no real switch-ins. Bolt Strike allows Victini a bit more coverage if against Pokemon that would otherwise resist V-Create. U-turn allows Victini to build up some momentum, and Trick can be used in worst case scenario situations in which Victini must stay in but use multiple attacking moves at a time.
Note: It is best to switch out immediately after using V-Create unless the opportunity presents itself, as Victini is left with lower speed and defenses upon using it.

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 195-229 (51 - 59.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
**Even against defensive Landorus-T, after Intimidate, Victini is capable of dishing out major damage**

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Excadrill, due to its focus sash, can be used for two reasons. The first being a suicide lead in which rocks are set up and as much damage as possible being dealt with Earthquake and/or Toxic. The second gives Excadrill the ability to stop potential sweepers by taking the hit and countering with Earthquake or Toxic. Rapid Spin also gives this team hazard control, and because of its typing, is not affected by Toxic Spikes if they were to be up.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This Suicune is a physically defensive RestTalk variant that allows it to come in on most attacks. Its naturally high defense gives it physical protection and once you've used Calm Mind once or twice, it takes on the role of special tank as well. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk give Suicune much needed recovery for it to keep up with its role of switch-in while not sacrificing much on the offensive front. While not built offensively, Scald can be used to cripple Landorus-T if it stays in. The burn chance on Scald is nice, allowing it to tank even more physical hits.

252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Electric Terrain: 307-361 (76.1 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
**While obviously not a switch-in, Suicune can take a hit from Tapu Koko once Calm Mind has been used**
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Electric Terrain: 290-342 (71.9 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
**While also not a switch-in, Suicune can take a hit from Kyurem-Black if necessary (this becomes even better if you get a burn off on it)**

Replays

Win @ Low 1500s: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-639793383
Win @ High 1400s: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644911018
Loss (but overall good battle, and yes, some mistakes were made) @ High 1400s :http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644919532
Win (misclick at turn 32, but it still worked out) @ Unknown Rank: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644927792
Win (Victini MVP) @ mid 1500s: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-646175974

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Conclusion

Overall, I've seen some good potential in this team. As of right now, I've made it to mid 1500's on the OU ladder, and I'm sure this team could go higher if used by a better player. I thought using this team would be a good way to make my first RMT, so let me know what you think of the team and if you've had success in using it.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Team seems solid, I'd try playing around with a Z-Crystal over the expert belt on gren. If you want to get really cheeky groundium-z dig lures and OHKOs Magearna.
On another note, your team looks super weak to scarf bulu and kartana. If they get up rocks then victini isn't going to function as a check.

Team seems solid, I'd try playing around with a Z-Crystal over the expert belt on gren. If you want to get really cheeky groundium-z dig lures and OHKOs Magearna.
On another note, your team looks super weak to scarf bulu and kartana. If they get up rocks then victini isn't going to function as a check.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try out Z-Gren and see how it works out. As for the weaknesses, I didn't realize scarf bulu was a thing, otherwise gren would check that too, and mawile can usually deal some damage to kartana, but it's not really a check, do you have any suggestions in that regard?

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try out Z-Gren and see how it works out. As for the weaknesses, I didn't realize scarf bulu was a thing, otherwise gren would check that too, and mawile can usually deal some damage to kartana, but it's not really a check, do you have any suggestions in that regard?
Actually, on second look, Lando can OHKO Bulu after rocks with Explosion if they don't know he's scarfed, so you should be able to play around it if you're clever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)