VGC17 Rain Tailwind RMT

Hey so I decided to mess around with some more team concepts and at the moment this is what I got.

Incineroar (M) @ Incinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Fake Out
- Taunt

Incineroar is a great Pokémon with a good move pool and a great HA that we unfortunately don't have yet.

Darkest Lariat is great because it gets over status buffs, eviolite, and puts the hurt on ghost and psychic types. Taunt to stop trick room which is this team's natural flaw. Fake out to give a safe tailwind for Pelipper

I don't want to use Snarl because I don't think it's worth it without intimidate, not to mention Malicious Moonsault makes for a great surprise nuke. I would have used Assault vest if I wasn't using Z move but I'd rather make Kartana abkt more tanky.

252 252 4 to make sure Incineroar has bulk and power to kill bulky threats and survive them.

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon is an absolute beast and is used to team with Koko, pair with Pelipper, and take water attacks from Pokémon like Araquanid. Ice beam kills dragons and flying or grass types and toxic recover is to stall

252 252 4 for pure defense. There's not many special moves aside from energy ball that threaten Gastrodon so I focused on Def instead.

I like the burst heal of Sitrus berry but I might end up switching it for leftovers for a more consistent heal.

I think recover is better than protect when paired with toxic, but it does leave me with a vulnerability to grass moves so I might switch it.

Kartana @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 44 HP / 208 Atk / 88 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Smart Strike

Steel types steal games. I use Kartana to deal with Tapus and generic threats in general.
I like assault vest on it but I might change it for focus sash if I can find a better item for Pelipper

Night slash I might switch for a different move since Incineroar covers the dark type attacks, I just haven't thought of what yet.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Gotta love Koko, benefits heavily from rain and deals with dragons and other terrains.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Protect

Pelipper sets up Tailwind and rain and then just hurricanes like crazy

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Protect

EQ deals with threats like Muk or Metagross, and Groundium Z to deal with Muk under grassy terrain or when I can't protect with Koko

Last edited:
I will leave most of the helping to other, more experienced members, but you will need longer descriptions.

The decriptions need more work. Why the EV spreads? Why did you choose the moves or items over others? How do the team members cover for each other? Your descriptions need to be more detailed before we can help you

You need to complete the mandatory homework assignment before posting here.

Edit: Ignore this you already have. Sorry, it wasn't me who looked over the assignment so I didn't realise. But yeah your descriptions need work. A lot of your decisions don't really make sense, like bulky sash Pelipper

I'm not good at making EV spreads at all, so for some of them I kinda just went with the default suggestion on showdown

I'm not good at making EV spreads at all, so for some of them I kinda just went with the default suggestion on showdown
Developing EV Spreads is something that takes time and practice to understand fully, as well as metagame knowledge. When you are selecting a 'mon for a team, it is important to identify exactly how it is contributing to your end goal. Do you need it to survive X Pokemon's attack and still be able to OHKO with move Y? Using a damage calculator, you can effectively min-max a Pokemon in order to fill it's role exactly how you need it to. Default sets can be a good place to start from, however.

Without knowing specifically what you're struggling with, it's very difficult to make recommendations. Do to the short descriptions, your team building process is not entirely evident, either.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Protect
Because you have the same problem i have about bad descriptions i cant help you but for Pelipper it has a Focus Sash that will help you survive ONLY 1 hit and you will be at 1 HP so no bulk is needed just go fully into Speed and your Attack stat you are using that is the only way you should use Focus Sash

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt or Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge, Voltswitch or Hidden Power Ice
- Protect
For Koko first for Rain benefits you need Thunder and second a single Target move is a great idea because you have two electric immunities but if next to Pelipper it will faint

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Ground]/Protect
- Recover
- Toxic

Damage Calcs:

Offensive:

12 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Marowak-Alola: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

12 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Torkoal in Sun: 56-68 (31.6 - 38.4%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO

12 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 104-126 (52.7 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive:

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Gastrodon: 118-139 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

252+ SpA Charcoal Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 236 HP / 100 SpD Gastrodon in Sun: 75-88 (34.7 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 236 HP / 100 SpD Gastrodon in Sun: 93-110 (43 - 50.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Notes:

HP stat divisible by 4 maximises recovery from Sitrus Berry and from Recover, and ensures that Sitrus Berry is activated by Nature’s Madness or Super Fang. EVd to ensure that Torkoal’s Charcoal Eruption is a 4HKO and Specs Eruption is a 3HKO. Defensive investment gives Gastrodon a good chance of surviving 2 Shadow Bone’s from Marowak.

http://www.trainertower.com/vgc-17-ev-spread-compendium/#Gen1-6 Use it for spreads Gastrodon is not optimal spread

Kartana @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

Damage Calcs:

Offensive:

4 Atk Kartana Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Marowak-Alola: 82-98 (49.1 - 58.6%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 90-106 (49.1 - 57.9%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 56-67 (27.4 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Araquanid: 91-108 (52 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 147-174 (100.6 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 4 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 176-210 (99.4 - 118.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Defensive:

252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 121-144 (81.2 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 116 HP / 132 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 123-146 (82.5 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 42-50

(28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 120-144 (80.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

AV Kartana is good but use Ray Rizzo spread instead

only problem with Garchomp is maybe use Dragon Claw over Rock Slide but not all Garchomp use Dragon moves and you dont need them because with all the Tapus when are you getting to use a Dragon move anyways

Thank you very much. I'm going to test a bit more and update the team descriptions soon to be better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)