VGC 2018 Analysis Reservations

May I reserve Sylveon? My set was able to rank up to just under 1500 with it.
This should be in analysis discussion, but, I'm saying no. As far as I know, Sylveon hasn't top cut any IRL events and the limited use it has seen on Battle Spot and Showdown has been in roles nearly identical to last generation. Its Gen 6 analysis should therefore be sufficient if somebody just wanted a set.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Could I make an analysis of Mr. Mime? It's a very unusual choice, but I feel it has a niche thanks to its support movepool and flexibility.

Just gonna post an idea here with some notes;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a Mild Nature and EVs of 40 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 116 Spe, it can healthily tank a Charizard Y Heat Wave in sun. It's fairly specific, but by extension it can make a decent pivot on Special Attacks despite the low base HP. Plus, a half decent Rain Team candidate.

252 SpA Charizard Heat Wave vs. 40 HP / 100 SpD Mr. Mime in Sun: 121-144 (52.3 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You can take this further with extra investment, but impossible to reach 3HKO without sacrificing firepower.

Given it can learn Fake Out and Wide Guard in the same movepool (only other ones who can do this are either Smeargle or Fighting Types), it's definitely a decent Anti-Meta choice. Plus, it has access to Encore, Quick Guard, Follow Me, Icy Wind, Magical Leaf, Safeguard (although not entirely relevant it's worth a mention), all sorts. It can also use Skill Swap x Soundproof to completely stop Clangerous Soulblaze from going off, which is a unique niche. A bit of a meme, but it's interesting to note.

I tried it out at a small VGC Tournament and it did a lot better than I expected, but I do think shock value was what primarily did it. I personally don't think the test was conclusive as a result, but on paper it looks fairly decent.

I use this setup;
Mr. Mime @ Life Orb / Expert Belt (depends on whether one values consistency or bulk)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 116 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Confusion / Psychic (depends on what you favor, I vouch for Confusion since it doesn't anger Milotic)
- Shock Wave / Dazzling Gleam / Magical Leaf / Icy Wind (depends on your team's coverage)

I could possibly make 2 or 3 more setups, one I have in mind is a Soundproof Set designed for Perish Trap Support. I know that it is used there rarely, usually depending on team comp.

It does have it's failings of course, mainly due to the low HP (thus Chansey vulnerability) and Defense. Incineroar can absolutely destroy it if it doesn't Encore the Fake Out, and it requires support to deal with Landorus (Tailwind + Technician Icy Wind KOs it). A single Fake Out can deal noticeable damage to Mr. Mime, and this fragility can become a liability if the player is not careful. It can cause some heavy disruption due to its sheer utility though, thus why I do think it deserves at least a fair trial in an analysis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just thought I would share my knowledge and experience using it before I'm approved to write, since I know that there are some standards to doing these. Main reason I want to do this is since there is no Doubles Analysis in general for Mr. Mime at all, which makes the entries available incomplete. I'm new to this too, so...

Also, if I do get to reserve, it worth adding an Other Options section due to the sheer utility this Pokemon has? I think it is worth doing.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could I make an analysis of Mr. Mime? It's a very unusual choice, but I feel it has a niche thanks to its support movepool and flexibility.

Just gonna post an idea here with some notes;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a Mild Nature and EVs of 40 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 116 Spe, it can healthily tank a Charizard Y Heat Wave in sun. It's fairly specific, but by extension it can make a decent pivot on Special Attacks despite the low base HP. Plus, a half decent Rain Team candidate.

252 SpA Charizard Heat Wave vs. 40 HP / 100 SpD Mr. Mime in Sun: 121-144 (52.3 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You can take this further with extra investment, but impossible to reach 3HKO without sacrificing firepower.

Given it can learn Fake Out and Wide Guard in the same movepool (only other ones who can do this are either Smeargle or Fighting Types), it's definitely a decent Anti-Meta choice. Plus, it has access to Encore, Quick Guard, Follow Me, Icy Wind, Magical Leaf, Safeguard (although not entirely relevant it's worth a mention), all sorts. It can also use Skill Swap x Soundproof to completely stop Clangerous Soulblaze from going off, which is a unique niche. A bit of a meme, but it's interesting to note.

I tried it out at a small VGC Tournament and it did a lot better than I expected, but I do think shock value was what primarily did it. I personally don't think the test was conclusive as a result, but on paper it looks fairly decent.

I use this setup;
Mr. Mime @ Life Orb / Expert Belt (depends on whether one values consistency or bulk)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 116 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Confusion / Psychic (depends on what you favor, I vouch for Confusion since it doesn't anger Milotic)
- Shock Wave / Dazzling Gleam / Magical Leaf / Icy Wind (depends on your team's coverage)

I could possibly make 2 or 3 more setups, one I have in mind is a Soundproof Set designed for Perish Trap Support. I know that it is used there rarely, usually depending on team comp.

It does have it's failings of course, mainly due to the low HP (thus Chansey vulnerability) and Defense. Incineroar can absolutely destroy it if it doesn't Encore the Fake Out, and it requires support to deal with Landorus (Tailwind + Technician Icy Wind KOs it). A single Fake Out can deal noticeable damage to Mr. Mime, and this fragility can become a liability if the player is not careful. It can cause some heavy disruption due to its sheer utility though, thus why I do think it deserves at least a fair trial in an analysis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just thought I would share my knowledge and experience using it before I'm approved to write, since I know that there are some standards to doing these. Main reason I want to do this is since there is no Doubles Analysis in general for Mr. Mime at all, which makes the entries available incomplete. I'm new to this too, so...

Also, if I do get to reserve, it worth adding an Other Options section due to the sheer utility this Pokemon has? I think it is worth doing.
No.

Partly because Mr Mime is bad, partly because your set is also bad for many different reasons, one of which Psychic >>>>> Confusion, who cares about a 10% chance to proc Milotic).

Also, if you want to discuss including an analysis for a Pokemon not on the list, please post in the linked thread, NOT this thread. Seriously, the last two posts said to discuss cases in the linked thread; please read stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)