Metagame Vaporeon and Sylveon stifle creativity and introduce tedium to an otherwise fun and unique meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time player, first time poster so forgive me if I’m doing this incorrectly. I’ve been back after not playing showdown for almost a decade and I started back up with OU and had a pretty fun time with it. I decided I wanted to check out NU because there I could use mons that aren’t as viable in OU.

I really like this meta-game. Some people are really good players and have really good sets or teams that they beat me with. And then there are the people who just run Vaporeon and Sylveon. Wish/Protect is extremely tedious in a meta that is already slower than the others and both of the previously mentioned pokemon just centralize the meta in a way that’s unfun and punishes those that try to deviate in any way.

You are at a distinct disadvantage if you don’t run a cleric. The cleric just makes the game last 100 turns since you will likely realize that the safest way to actually win against this is just to keep a Pokémon in that can stall out all their heal bells and wishes. Otherwise pokemon you might’ve used to take them out just get statuses before they go back to Wish/Protecting for another 20 turns. It’s not fun or creative and never feels like a gg win or lose.

Stall is a legitimate playstyle and I’m not against stall overall, I just think your actions, predictions, and reads should have more consequences along with payoffs.

Also, I’m not saying teams with these Pokémon are unbeatable. I’m just saying that there’s no real reason to deviate from this playstyle if you want to win. I think if these Pokémon were either suspect tested for RU or it’s made illegal to run Wish/Protect on the same Pokémon, the games would feel like they have higher stakes and have more value overall. Currently they just feel like a slog.

I haven’t quite reached 1400 yet, so I know I’m not the top of the ladder and maybe everyone likes these gauntlet style matches, but maybe some consideration could be put towards the above.

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)