UU Snake Draft Sets/Team Dump

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hogg

Smogon Snake Draft

Hi guys, now that the snake draft is about to finish I'd like to invite all those players who have been giving their best throughout the season to share any set/team they have used during the tournament. As always, feel free to include anything you think is relevant when posting.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of creative sets and teams! :toast:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll let Manip post the stuff he used, but here are some sets I messed around with during Snake that didn't end up making it onto teams...

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- Protect

Nothing too out of the ordinary but Toxic + Protect Empo is so good in this meta. Actually built this for a team that Bushtush ended up using a couple of times in UU Majors playoffs but it also went on one of Manip's phase three teams later, although it got changed at the last minute to Roar to shore up the team vs MAlt. Shame, because Protect would have actually won the game. Anyhow, we all know what Protect does, gives you some extra recovery, scouts choice items/z moves, helps with Toxic chip, yadda yadda. Empoleon in general is pretty great in this meta, even if I think that running both Rocks and Defog is kinda ass right now.

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 128 HP / 136 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

I can't claim credit for this set; I actually stole it from a super old RMT of BHARATH_THEBEST that I found. This seems like a meme but it's actually a surprisingly good stallbreaker in the current meta. 128 HP EVs means that Quagsire can't break your sub, so you just need to flinch it down, leaving you in a really good position to clean up versus most stall teams in the meta. You're walled by Coba, so build around that accordingly, but this set is actually legit.

Azelf @ Fairium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

I was messing around with this set alongside screens Klefki and a helmet Hippo to wear down Sciz. It does nasty things to bulky teams in general, with +2 Twinkle Tackle easily punching through Umbreon/Mandibuzz, both of whom had seen a bit of a surge. With a Reflect up this also tanks and OHKOs Weavile, so that's a plus. Struggles versus Klefki but other than that this is a lot of fun.

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i'll try to revive this thread i hope the rest of the players are encouraged to do the same

Phase 1

Latias @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic

In that moment Z happy hour jirachi was one of the biggest thread in the tier so I couldnt take the risk of let it set up so easy, for all that I had this idea what helped me against jirachi and gardevoir and still do a heavy hit to bulky steels like scizor.

+1 252 SpA Latias Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 464-546 (136 - 160.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Latias Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Jirachi: 350-412 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Latias Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gardevoir-Mega: 358-422 (129.2 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Latias Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gardevoir-Mega: 238-282 (85.9 - 101.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Phase 2

Scizor (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 68 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

to be honest this ev’s spread isnt mine i stolen this from a Gully's post and was very usefull when weavile was in the tier, basically with this I can survive 3 unbusted knocks weavile and has the enough speed to outspeed regular rotom in adition I had a solid wincon against HO.

Crobat (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

I know crobat isnt the best mon right now, but I guess, it has a good niche particularly in the team I used because gives me a safe form to pivot to my sweepers, at the same time helps me to manage things like: altaria and beedrill (in adition the boosted brave bird with sky plate what can 2 hit k.o somethings like nihilego after rocks as you can see in my game vs Pak)

Phase 3

Porygon2 @ Normalium Z
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Conversion

Basically this is what Porygon z did but with the difference that p2 is a bit slower but harder to give it RK, in my opinion very good late game sweeper with the right support.

Togekiss (F) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

When Dodmen and I were thinking what could I use against bugzi we realised one habit, he used the same cores of fairy + bulky water + steel, so any set up sweeper with the correct coverage could break that, consequently we decide to pick togekiss because its an amazing stall breaker, Z fight over fire because we wanted to hit rotom and z fight still killed to steel types i needed

+2 252 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 470-554 (126.3 - 148.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Rotom-Wash: 228-269 (75.2 - 88.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 430-506 (133.1 - 156.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 409-483 (119.2 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Togekiss All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 338-398 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

I feel theese were the most impressive sets what I used during this season, I enjoyed a lot using them and I hope you guys can enjoy them too :heart:

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Phase 1

I didn't bring anything extremely innovative outside out of a few tweaks on known sets.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

Standard lead Azelf with Thunder Waver over Taunt. I like this variant because it does a good job at crippling pokemons like Aero or scarfers like Hydreigon or Nihilego. Those tend to be the main form of speed control on teams so making them unable to outspeed anything early on tends to benefit offensive teams which are obviously annoyed by fast threats.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Quite an uncommon Nihilego set, I felt like I rarely needed Power Gem so I put Grass Knot to lure Hippodown and Seismitoad. The EVs allow Beast Boost to rise Speed after a kill which can also be quite helpful late game. I've always liked SR users that are able to lure opposing rockers as trading rocks is still something that happens quite frequantly. This takes advantages of this specific scenario to lure opposing rockers on the turn they use SR.

Phase 2

Didn't innovate a whole lot here either but I brought a few sets that more or less fell off the radar.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

I had noticed that bugzinator mostly used bulky balanced teams which often seemed rather weak to strong wallbreakers. Kyurem isn't used much so I thought its raw power could catch him off guard and collect a few kills. Not much to explain, this takes advantage of passive mons to fire a few hits off and switching into it is very hard.

Togekiss @ Fairium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

This works the exact same as the set lcans posted but this one hits harder stuff that are weak or neutal to fairies. Works well if something else can take care of steel types.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Everyone knows what this does but it remains extremely effective. I like using this if some of the team members appreciate having stuff like Rotom-Wash and Aero being heavily weakened.

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Fantastic wallbreaker which hasnt been used much either. CM Dragonium is usually expected to carry Roost as its last move but I like HP Fire for obvious reasons. This set has always been very effective for me and I've been using it ever since UU open begun.

Phase 3

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp

I've never liked that set until I tried using it myself. This rotom can lure many threats that assume they'll be faster. It is extremely annoying to beat for offensive teams, especially if it's paired with a Pursuit user. This worked very well in both of the games I used it in so yeah it was suprisingly effective for me.

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Yet another set that everyone knows but doesnt expect because it is barely used at all. Pair this with a Pursuit trapper for Lati and watch opposing bulky teams fall apart.

I've never been big on innovations but overall I still feel like my teams turned out to be very solid and reliable which is something I'm rather proud of. Feel free to ask questions about the teams that I used or about a sets that I posted and please share what you've used if you played or helped a player in Snake.

I obviously did not play but I had a couple cool ideas.

Manipulative vs Sacri'

Latias @ Groundium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

Hogg, myself, and Manipulative had the idea to use DDD Altaria vs Sacri' and I thought this set would be a cool lure to eliminate certain pokemon that could get in the way of an Altaria sweep. Sacri' often relies on Klefki/Empoleon/Scizor/Gliscor(he doubles up on steels often as well) on most of his teams so this funky set was sure to work well. Klefki EV spreads vary depending on the team, but HP Fire on a switch to Klefki + Z EQ OHKOs most of the time. Z EQ fucks up Klefki while at the same time hitting Empoleon and a random Muk-A. Now i must say, this set is pretty wack and is not that good in the majority of games. CM Electrium does a pretty similar thing, but vs Sacri specifically I thought this set would work well. With Weavile gone and a rise in Alolan Muk usage, this set could actually be kinda cool, though.

Manipulative vs Tesung

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Using this set was not made particularly to beat common tesung builds, but was rather used as an anti-meta threat that would work vs the majority of teams. Crocune used to be the single most common pokemon during the early XY/ORAS meta. Due to this, the UU community was so used to preparing for Suicune that it's usage dropped. Using Crocune during that time was seen as an exclusively low-ladder strat because of how basic it was. This lack of usage carried onto SM, only seeing the occasional VincCune as a trendy setup sweeper. CM + Psyshock users that were extremely prevalent as Suicune counters back in ORAS see no usage in SM and that is why i thought the forgotten threat of Crocune would work well. It proved true, and a few other players pulled out Crocune in their games handing them a W, giving Crocune a 100% win rate nvm pif lost with it :[

Last edited:

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I used common sets in my games for the most part, but did have a few moments I suppose.

I tried being a little bit unique with the stall team that I used vs hantsuki. Scizor hasn't really seen much usage on stall teams except for recently, and MAlt was fairly new to the tier and hadn't been seen on stall either. Between the two, I thought I did a decent job in covering some major threats that stall usually has to deal with. Max defense MAlt gave me some leeway against SD Hera, walled Crawdaunt, held Ice Beam for Gliscor and Frustration for M/Latias. It was carried Heal Bell so that running Blissey as my rocker wasn't detrimental. Scizor was supposed to kind of help vs MGard and Togekiss while also giving me leeway vs Haxorus. Unfortunately, the team was still really shaky against a couple of these threats, most notably Hera and MGard, and this showed in the actual game where hantsuki played really aggressively with his MGard. Though, MGard has since left the tier and the team is actually looking pretty good right now.

Bewear @ Choice Band
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Shadow Claw / Ice Punch

Bewear is another out of the ordinary thing that I used, and I think it's fairly underrated. Unfortunately, it didn't do much vs Pearl as he had fairly good countermeasures to it, but I still think that it's pretty good. Though an Adamant nature would be preferable in most scenarios, Jolly is there almost solely to outspeed Adamant Scizor. It's also nice for things like Primarina, as those almost never run Timid. Bewear gives the team a MShark check as well which is of course valuable. It could be pretty tough to take down and is still pretty difficult to wall even with a Jolly nature. I especially enjoy pairing it up with Wish support, but that's not necessary.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Close Combat
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

I'm obviously not the one who came up with defensive nape, but it hadn't seen much usage at all and I thought it made a great fit on the team I was using it on. The speed investment was to outspeed Jolly Mamo, which my team was fairly weak to. I decided to use MLati balance vs mcm and noticed that most balance teams I'd see or try to make myself weren't as solid as I'd like them to be against things like Scizor and Weavile. That's what lead me to using this. It also freed me of having to worry about carrying a rocker later which was great. It definitely can take your opponent by surprise as it did for me vs mcm, letting me cripple his Gliscor with a burn turn 1.

I had a lot of fun playing in Snake and had some good games with most of my opponents. Thanks again to my managers Hogg and Christo for deciding to pick me up!

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 128 HP / 136 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

I can't claim credit for this set; I actually stole it from a super old RMT of BHARATH_THEBEST that I found. This seems like a meme but it's actually a surprisingly good stallbreaker in the current meta. 128 HP EVs means that Quagsire can't break your sub, so you just need to flinch it down, leaving you in a really good position to clean up versus most stall teams in the meta. You're walled by Coba, so build around that accordingly, but this set is actually legit.
Don't take it personally but I think this set is really really really bad...I lost so many games testing with it. The problem for me is that it not only gets walled by Cobalion, but by nearly every steel type. Also the stall matchup, which is still good, isn't amazing still because Alomomola has a small chance to break the sub still and Quagsire still can potentially stall you out since:

136 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 125-150 (31.7 - 38%) -- approx. 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which means you need at least 2 flinches and potentially 3 in a row if Quagsire is still holding Leftovers and at 100%.

It's a decent stallbreaker but gets messed up by way too many steel types (a couple of which fit on stall nicely) and there are already plenty of good stallbreakers in the tier (Crawdaunt, Heracross, Haxorus, etc.). The one thing I will say that is nice about this is the fact that its super fast and can do great things if the opponent only has Ice Shard or Choice Scarf to revenge kill. Overall I'm thinking Z Explosion Cloyster is still better.

Alright, I'll post some stuffs finally after being really lazy. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff has Weavile or Mega Gardevoir, but you can probably adapt them as such. The other stuff is in the discussion thread, idr if i posted the teams specifically but its not hard to infer sets and spreads if you really want them :shrug:

Not exactly my team, but based off an old one from UU Open that Tesung changed a bit and then I filled in EVs and stuff like that. Tesung wanted to use something with SD Z-Low Kick Weavile, so I figured I'd take an old team with a similar concept (SD Icium) that some dudes used in GS and let him at it then. The concept is pretty simple essentially though, really your standard voltturn plus a breaker and a cleaner. Nothing too special. Personally I hate having to separate Defog and SR when using Empoleon, but Gliscor is really as consistent as you can get, and ProTox stuffs are super annoying to shit on momentum based teams that are everywhere. HP Fire Rotom-W with some Speed is here because I fucking hate SD Scizor so god damn much.

This wasn't what was originally what I had wanted Tesung to use vs Hantsuki, this team was really just some scrap shit I dumped on Discord but Tesung rolled with it anyway so whatever. I wanted to take advantage of Hantsuki's weakness to Fightings (usually relied on stuff like Latias as a resist, and those kinds of teams just fall flat vs Heracross if played well enough)....but this worked out really well for some reason so that's nice! Nothing too special about this squad though aside from the Scarf Zor and the Crobat, in essence it's just your usual AltMag team. You can probably rock EQ or some shit over Fire Blast, but again fuck Scizor. Seismitoad is here to cockblock Manectric and Rotom, get up rocks and cripple shit, the usual ordeal. Scarf Zor is basically an unset unless you're Omfuga, but it seemed fun to catch stuff like Mega Lati off guard. Crobat is really nice as a partner for Toad since you can take advantage of the Rotoms and shit like that, and with Magneton being able to trap the fatter steels like Empo and Klefki, spamming Brave Bird makes it a lot easier for Altaria or Weavile to clean up shop. You might want Iron Head on Scizor though.

Here are some other squads that were either used in Majors or Slam playoffs that I'll dump for the sake of it. Honestly none of them are amazing though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)