Other Metagames [UU] Let's try to anti meta

/Intro

The UU meta game is pretty awkward nowadays and it seems like a fun time to play it. Back then, Victini seemed like a darn big threat so I went for it. Since he is weak to faster SR and faster Ground I went for Mienshao (antilead, tries to break sash and KO before SR is set up vs everything not named Aero, for which I run Megastoise) and Porygon2 respectively. Now while Pory2 does a shitty job at walling Zydoge, it is a great mon all around and I decided to keep him. Ultimately, Victini proved to be more of a liability because Bulky Waters and Dark spam, also Bisharp being so huge, so I ended up with what I have now (had Specs Raikou, Torkoal, Venusaur core back then as well). I have some years on my back playing the game, tho I don't claim to be a good driver, I just like to theorycraft. Without further due:

/Team

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
He's been good all around although he is VERY frail, he usually gets me enough momentum that I can open the game with a free KO. He really shines vs Sandstorm but fails to beat Z Conversion PoryZ, which has got me in trouble more often than I'd like. Since I'm not even running anything that is real weak vs SR I could swap him for something, but I'm not really sure where to go from there, hence this post.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
He is great. Like, really great. The number of mons he checks or outright counters is huge. Pory2 is weak to Aromatherapy Blissey (that Mienshao doesn't really like to go into as well), Zydoge variants because he gets 2hko'd (tho I've come to realise that I should Recover when I switch into him more often than not) and Scizor. The former two are really common in the meta game which is bad.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
He is the reason I could swap both of the mon above. He can anti lead with Rapid Spin and Scald fishing and he has Special bulk to take a hit and hurt most Special mons back, even some STABs. Only downside really is his lack of recovery but ehh what can I do. Sometimes I lose because he gets worn out and one of the things he checks goes wild on me.

Gengar @ Fairium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
He is here to counter Fighting types and help Pory2 out but Scizor eludes him with U-Turn. The Z move isn't really any good as much as I wanted to try it out. He is VERY frail as well and can't really check mons like Primarina or anything vested and with a Knock off really which sucks, but I've swept one or two matches because of this set. The Speed is just to outspeed anything that threats Pory2. Not sure what I'm losing, what I do know is that at max Spe it just ties with Zydoge.

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
Since Mienshao lures some psychics and such, this here is my MVP. He is just so strong on the metagame I think you must either have him or be able to counter him every time. Just a good mon all around and what I'm most likely to build around.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
Since I ended up building around Bisharp, I needed a Fighting check and it synergizes with Megastoise for the Elec- Immunity and with Gengar for the EQ immunity not named Zydoge (seriously this mon). He fails to hold back Keldeo for obvious reasons and can't hit back for his life. Swords Dance Roost Scizor rofls on his face and he can't hit Aero, and I also feel like I'd be glad to pack Protect and/or U-Turn but idk. Maybe not having a damage move is the way to go here (SR, Toxic, Roost, U-Turn). Not running Toxic makes him not stall some of the things he does since it deals zero damage and I feel like I need the SR because I end up forcing many switches. (I know the image is a Gligar)

/Conclusion

So most likely I'm missing something or just being dumb somewhere, which I do more often then I'd like, but there it is. What I want to go for is to anti meta (title) so what I need to check with my team is, as far as I can see, Zydoge, Keldeo, Bisharp and/or Dark mons in general, SR bulky leads, MAero, Steels (Empoleon is a pain, Scizor), Dragons in general (no good Ice mon, Mega Glalie seems to suck. Been thinking Sylv but idk, I like Pory2), EQ in general, Victini and Volca and Bulky Waters (Azuma, Prima, Araquanid). I feel like half of the meta game I beat just by winning the SR wars (Flying, Fire).

Last edited:
Your Bisharp set stands out a lot for weird reasons. You have 3 Dark moves and 1 Fighting type move. I think you should definitely consider switching Pursuit for Iron Head and Brick Break for Stone Edge. With a Choice Band, they'll both do pretty massive damage, in combination with being a STAB move. For Gengar maybe consider a Choice Scarf? His speed is already hella high and scarfing him I think will help you a lot. Just my take on it all though!

About the Bisharp, yeah now that I come to think about it, Ive never hit a switch out predict and it is too much of a 50-50 but the Brick Break is needed to hit certain mons. Stone Edge would really just cover for Mandibuzz.
What Scarfing the Gengar would achieve? I mean I can often revenge kill with either Bisharp or Mienshao but I guess it lets me hit Zydoge...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)