UU Analysis Discussion Thread

I agree on a Gourgeist-XL revamp. Colbur Berry needs a mention as well as Substitute as an option over Leech Seed. Rock Slide should also be added on there. I'd personally be interested in doing it.

Removing Vivillon's analysis seems like a good idea too. People have the RU and NU sets to go by if they do want to use it and it's pretty outclassed by Venomoth now. Compound Eyes Hurricane + Sleep Powder is still a decent niche though, so maybe revamping it instead isn't a bad idea.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • Gourgeist: It's a really low priority Pokemon so I don't think a revamp is necessary here, CMS should be fine. Is there anything else apart from what Jaguar mentioned that you guys thinks should be added to the analysis?
  • Poliwrath: It was only recently written up and uploaded and RestTalk is probably its most viable set in UU, don't think there's any issue here.
  • Vivillion: Fine with removing it.
  • Gastrodon and Mega Banette: Again, very low priority Pokemon for which complete revamps are IMO unnecessary when not a lot has changed for them. CMS should be fine here to just remove mentions of XY Pokemon.
Bouffalant what do you think? I'll go ahead and remove all the other XY mentions you brought up, thanks!

Noticed that Galvantula's analysis has a mention of Starmie. I'm not sure if it needs changes other than that though.

Edit: A fast safety net such as Choice Scarf Darmanitan or Raikou can also be helpful if Sticky Web is removed or if opposing Flying-types are problematic.

This also needs to be changed. (Replace with either Heliolisk or Rotom-Heat. The analysis of those 2 at least state that Scarf is viable on them, and both can beat Flying-types like Raikou could)

Last edited:
hi I noticed Umbreon didn't have a physical defensive set on-site, and it doesn't seem like one's being written up, and that makes me sad because physically defensive Umbreon helps deal with a lot of key threats rn such as Salamence, Mega-Aero, Feraligatr and more. If I'm stupid and missed something I'm sorry but it could totally use a set! n_n

also I could probably write it if needed but I'd have to learn the new analysis format so you'd have to bear w/ me x_x

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pretty minor, but 236 Spe Crobat could use a mention for the support set, which allows it to outspeed max speed neutral-natured MBee/Mscept.

"Pokemon such as Forretress, which also handles Florges, Aromatisse, and Mega Aggron, that can set Stealth Rock...."

Forretress is recommended as the SR setter since it can switch into Absols counters. The dude just read it wrong

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
When will Crawdaunt become available for reservation?

Edit: Also some one should fix up the Stoutland analysis or just straight out remove it.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Gyarados should be given like 2 weeks until it's up for reservation. we don't know if any of it's sets are gonna be a thing yet.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Noivern is looking like it needs a revamp. There is a lot of things it doesn't mention like being able to outspeed most dragons in the tier and dealing with grass-types in general. Talks about resisting fire-water-grass which honestly isn't too important since it has underwhelming bulk anyway. There are a lot more things I could pull out.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/noivern/

Also someone might want to look at this analysis better. But it looks ready for CMS or possibly a revamp.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/meloetta/uu/

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Hello I would like to make some minor suggestions which u guys may or may not like.

Tangrowth could mention somewhere itemless is viable now to counter sd crawdaunt better. Energy ball might also deserve a mention somewhere like oo because it KOs gatr more reliably after sr or something like that, which could otherwise dd twice and ko with ice punch or just ice punch twice at +1

Umbreon can mention taunt since with moonlight since it's a stall mon generally and taunt lets you beat curse lax and reuniclus two stallbreakers of sorts while still letting you be a bulky cleric unlike sableye. Also sucker punch for hoopa another stallbreaker is viable if used with foul play.

Slowking can mention flash for defensive teams only since it helps a lot with last mon boosters like cune and snorlax and reuniclus. It would be over psyshock generally which isn't very necessary on stall.

Salamence defensive set could mention max speed to outspeed Lucario before stone/ice and ko with eq. Also outspeed heracross and damage with aerial hp flying or flame. you become a nice check counter to sub cm chandy with eq. But the loss of physical bulk is rather huge tbh.
Clearly these suggestions are not meant for slashes but only other options or somewhere obscure idk exactly how the analysis are written.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Hello I would like to make some minor suggestions which u guys may or may not like.

Tangrowth could mention somewhere itemless is viable now to counter sd crawdaunt better. Energy ball might also deserve a mention somewhere like oo because it KOs gatr more reliably after sr or something like that, which could otherwise dd twice and ko with ice punch or just ice punch twice at +1

Umbreon can mention taunt since with moonlight since it's a stall mon generally and taunt lets you beat curse lax and reuniclus two stallbreakers of sorts while still letting you be a bulky cleric unlike sableye. Also sucker punch for hoopa another stallbreaker is viable if used with foul play.

Slowking can mention flash for defensive teams only since it helps a lot with last mon boosters like cune and snorlax and reuniclus. It would be over psyshock generally which isn't very necessary on stall.

Salamence defensive set could mention max speed to outspeed Lucario before stone/ice and ko with eq. Also outspeed heracross and damage with aerial hp flying or flame. you become a nice check counter to sub cm chandy with eq. But the loss of physical bulk is rather huge tbh.
Clearly these suggestions are not meant for slashes but only other options or somewhere obscure idk exactly how the analysis are written.
Don't want to be mean but their are a lot of things wrong with these suggestions.
  • Itemless Tangrowth is really taking it far just for a counter when you could use just a different mon like Chesnaught
  • Energy Ball might appreciate the mention for Energy Ball as a stronger option but it misses out on the recovery from Giga Drain
  • "Taunt can be used to prevent the foe from setting up entry hazards, healing, or boosting, but Umbreon is already hard-pressed for moveslots." at the end of OO
  • Sucker Punch is pretty useless outside of that and Umbreon doesn't really have a move pool to give for this.
  • Flash is unreliable and gimmicky, stuff RNG based is usually not worth it
  • Salamence wouldn't need max speed, it would only need 176 but then it would then take away from its bulk
  • HP Flying is bad, only use Fire Blast please (which already has a mention and same with EQ)

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Modest Nature on the Scarf Hydreigon set should be at least mentioned imo. You miss out on only 4 mons, scarf darm, scarf krook, scarf kyurem and +1 haxorus. Still outspeed jolly aero and ofc everything below. Scarf Hydreigon could also really use the firepower. Scarf Kyurem and +1 Haxorus arent even as relevant compared to their other sets anyway.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Azelf deserves a mention or a slash in moves for lead set so it doesn't get completely shutdown by Sableye. Probably in between Flamethrower or Knock Off.

This isn’t all-inclusive and it doesn’t go into the set / details or whatever, but I crawled through the UU Analyses and came up with some updates or minor suggestions.

Chesnaught;
Remove Trevenant from Checks and Counters, nobody uses that anymore.

Cloyster;
Could use a hazard setting set, even though Shell Smash is the main set. Also can use rapid spin, but weak to rocks and neutral to spikes make that a bad idea.

Donphan;
In Checks and Counters, there’s this;
“Ice-types: Ice-types only check Donphan, as they have to be wary of the rare Stone Edge. Also, most Ice-types lack significant bulk, so they can be KOed by a neutral hit.”
Why mention it if they get ko’d by a neutral hit then?

Entei;
Perhaps there can be mention of Liechi Berry + Natural Gift as a lure to stuff like Swampert or Rhyperior, both of which would normally stop it. The boost at low hp acts as a free band too, if you can keep it alive, it can switch attacks and clean late-game.

Forretress;
Checks and counters, Jirachi is in OU so it won’t be tricking it anything anytime soon. Still a relevant point though, maybe Espeon’s a better mon to put there in replacement?

Galvantula;
Other Options lists hp ice to hit Zygarde, but that’s banned. Raikou in Checks and Counters is OU, and Flygon is not a relevant mon to be in there.

Infernape;
Alakazam mentioned in checks and counters, though that may be a moot point with the next drops. Also, pretty much every mon bar fire types in checks fear a +2 Fire Blast or Grass Knot, being heavily dented on the switch if not outright ohko’d. Might be worth a mention?

Snorlax;
Checks and counters mentions both SD Celebi and Jirachi as a check.

Whimsicott;
I know it’s a fast special attacker, but Noivern is not relevant in the tier. Scarf Hydreigon would probably be a better example for that in C&C.

Mega Ampharos: All-Out Attacker/Team Options - Recognizes Flygon as a suitable U-Turn partner for VoltTurn:
'Other Volt Switch users or U-turn users such as Rotom-H and Flygon can form a VoltTurn core with Mega Ampharos'

EDIT: Also being new to this thread how would one submit an analysis for a specific pokemon? If possible, I'd love to do Diancie's as I feel like it has at least some merit as a Calm Mind user as well as Trick Room setter too.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
All of those pokemon aren't bad to say (except cincinno)so they should stay. Maybe just remove banette because of how outdated it is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)