USUM NU Teambuilding Competition (Round 5: Zangoose - Voting Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Disjunction, Hootie, erisia, Eternally, and Kiyo
Stolen from various other teambuilding competition threads:
OU, Ubers, UU
Co-hosted with Yoshizilla315

[Banner Pending]​

Welcome to the SM NU Teambuilding Competiton! This will be weekly competition which you can join at any time. Each week, there will be a core, set, theme, or Pokemon posted, and then you will post an importable of a team featuring the given concept! This should look like a condensed RMT; a post will require an import and (brief) description of the teambuilding process to count. After a five days, the submissions will close and then you can cast your vote for the best team. The winner of the week will then get put into the Hall of Fame with their team on display for anyone to see!

Rules:
  1. Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, and be sure to use the following format:
    Code:
    <sprites> 
    [hide=Importable][/hide] 
    [hide=Description][/hide]
  2. Two (2) days of voting for the winning team
Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
  • Sprites. Setting to choose "sprites" in the sprites category in this sprite converter: http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together. (Use 2 hidetags)
Note: If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags!

Discussion and Changes: Feel free to discuss people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team butonly to an extent. A full rate would be best left to the RMT subforum, and a big overhaul on a team by someone else would defeat the purpose of this thread. Small recommendations such as a nature change or slight EV tweaking are game, though.

Cooperative Building: Working with other people is allowed.

Voting: When voting, only vote for one team.

Read the description: don’t make any hasty decisions and vote for a team just by looking at the importable and the images. Make it a point to read the teambuilding process as well and then cast your vote.

Winning: If you win, then congratulations! You'll have your name and team featured on the NU Teambuilding Hall of Fame.

Copying Teams: Please don't. This ruins the concept of "competition". If you do copy someone's team, you will be automatically disqualified for the week. If you suspect someone of stealing or copying your team, please PM me (don’t post your complaint in the thread) and I will look further into the matter. If you are caught doing this there is a high possibility you will not be allowed to post in the building stage for an indefinite amount of time.

DO NOT POST MEME/TROLL TEAMS:If anyone posts such a team in this thread, they will be given a warning (and will be disqualified from that round) the first time they do it. But if they do it again, they will be disqualified from that round as well as from the next two rounds, and for all three rounds their votes will not be considered.

On Team Changes: One part of the process is to have discussion about the teams and the core. While I'd like to keep this from being a speedy RMT thread, suggestions of improvements to entered teams are allowed. In the interests of fairness though, I'd ask that any suggestions don't involve anything more major than move set changes, and that if you've already submitted a team you won't change the Pokémon in it. Basically, just be sure that you're happy with the team before you send it in.

On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this either. Just vote for whatever team you think is the best. There's no need to vote for someone because they already have a lot of other votes. In addition: if you participated in the week, please do not ask for people to vote for you.There's no fun in the competition if you get a big number of votes from people that might not even post otherwise.

Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this thread, feel free to suggest them to me (through PM please). They will be considered, but no promises on whether they'll actually be implemented or not.

Note: If you have an idea for a good concept for the next round, feel free to pm me and I will consider it.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; so in the case of this thread, please do not use slashes. The team should be reflective of your skill as a builder, and have choices that you feel comfortable with.

Tiers: A week is for SM NU unless stated otherwise. For variety's sake, I'll switch up the generation from time to time so you can show off your ADV, DPP, BW, and ORAS teams as well!

Replays are not required, but they are recommended to give people a good idea of how your team operates.

Here is an example of the format you will be posting in this thread. Just for formality sake and because otherwise I may as well reject the team if it doesn't follow the format.

Team by neomn

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 SpD / 212 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Granbull @ Normalium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 8 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Samurott @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Specs Guzzlord acts as the generic wallbreaker, whilst providing a great check to slowbro and other grass/water/fire types like houndoom, slowking or rotom mow. Cryogonal serves the purpose of spinning whilst giving a more reliable check to grass types with recovery, and a badly needed ice resist, for the likes of Vanilluxe. Rhydon was added as an answer to Sub Bulk Up Braviary adn Stealth rock support. This construct still had severe problems with sneasel and other fighting types, which is why Granbull was added. SD Samurott can serve as a good late game cleaner or as a solid mid game breaker. Scarf Delphox was added to patch up speed control issues and potential Barbaracle weakness.

Have fun building, and may the best teams win!

Last edited:
Round One: Toxicroak

I was discussing with some of my friends about this competition and what would be a great first thing to build around for week one. We wanted something that was good enough to be viable and easy to build around, but we wanted something that could be used creatively. I settled on Toxicroak, and its your job to see how you can use it best!

I will give until Sunday, September 24, 11:00 PM GMT to submit.
All teams will be locked at this time.
Then the voting stage will begin.

Last edited:
ok so to get this thread started, I want point out some potential Toxicroak sets, that look good.

This looks to be the most common Toxicroak set at the moment. Swords Dance ofc allows it to boost its Attack Stat and give it immense wallbreaking power.
There is a lot to play around with here, even something like Z Ice Punch might work to smack opposing Golbats.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb/ Poisinium Z/Darkinium Z/Fightinium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch/ Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

A nice little invention, I came up with trying this mon some time ago. Z Icy wind is of course again, for Golbat. Fightinium and Life Orb are again option.

Toxicroak @ Icium Z/Life Orb/Poisinium Z/Fightinium Z/Darkinium Z
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Vacuum Wave
- Icy Wind/ Focus Blast/Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot

This looks like a cool option. Didnt try the set yet, so i dont want to spread uneducated opinions.

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Last edited:

Z+V

Banned deucer.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch

Garbodor @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Seed Bomb

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Power Gem

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

I started with SD Toxicroak. Even with Ice Punch, it struggles to get past Golbat at +2. It also misses out on some KOs after rocks, like Slowbro at +2. I added a Garbodor to help Toxicroak secure those kills with Spikes, while luring and weakening Golbat with a powerful Explosion. I went with Seed Bomb instead of Tspikes to weaken Seismitoad, a dangerous Toxicroak check (as long it carries a ground stab, since Protox is a setup fodder).

Next, I wanted a stealth rock user who could pressure Golbat. SD Rhydon seemed like a good choice, with an useful flying resistance to check some of the mons who can easily RK Toxicroak, such as Braviary or Dodrio.

That base was very weak to Slowbro, and lacked some speed. I decided to add a Scarf Rotom-Mow. I went with HP Flying instead of Trick to help vs Psychium Virizion, who can easily beat the other 3 mons. Rotom-Mow is also a good teammate for Toxicroak since it baits the likes of Togedemaru and Guzzlord, who are setup fodders for the frog.

Next, I needed a spinblocker. Mismagius seemed like the only logical choice. I went with Power Gem instead of Taunt to help the team against Houndoom, a threat at this point.

Finally, the team was very weak to Sigilyph so i added a Sneasel - who can also help against Psychium Virizion if Rotom-Mow is weakened or locked on the wrong move. Fun team overall, but relies on predictions to beat some threats such as Scarf Emboar or Scarf Delphox. Happy Hour Malamar seems like a threat as well if it manages to setup, so Signal Beam instead of HP Flying on Rotom can work.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Toxicroak @ Poisonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Fake Tears
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Toxic

Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon

Skuntank @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse
- Defog

Here's my take on Toxicroak. I went with SD Poisinium Z with Stone Edge as I felt like it was the best set to go for, since I like having strong nukes and still being able to hit super effectively Golbat. Then I wanted a good SR setter that would help against Vanilluxe and other prominent threats in the metagame, so I decided to go with Piloswine. I really wanted to try Fake Tears Whimsicott since it looked like a really cool and surprising set, and Toxicroak + Whimsi sounds pretty fun. Next, I still wanted some kind of reliable Fighting check since Whimsicott is quite iffy against most of them, so I went with Toxic Slowbro. I wanted some speed control so I went with Vanilluxe, then Skuntank for hazard control and I felt like it fit the team pretty well at that point.

Last edited:
Obligatory post for Durza

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Support Croaker set that I put on a team that was weak to Vappy. It worked pretty well giving support. Basically you can just taunt on most rockers because they expected a switch and rock up. You knock off golbat and can taunt it from roosting if its low. If the enemy knows you are taunt, click x. Toxic slowbro and whatnot. I promise its not as bad as it looks as long as you don't reveal taunt before there is something to gain from it.

Toxicroak @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Slowbro @ Buginium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Signal Beam
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Sorry for my bad englisch lul :D
This is the Toxicroak team I built. I wanted to use Shuca Berry because i saw this set in a post and thought it was really cool. It basically beats most of the relevant Rockers in the tier (Lix, Rhydon, Piloswine and Seismitoad with a little bit of prior damage. Because this set kind of lures Ground Types, i decided Scarf Mowtom would be a nice addtion to the team because of free Volt Switch and Mowtom is one of the best mons in the tier (also it voltswitches on Grass Types and Guzzlord which is nice for Toxicroak). The next 3 mons i added where Slowbro, Piloswine and Scarf Emboar because they are a chill backbone, dont loose to much momentum and bait Waters in which is necessary imo to justify playing Toxicroak. Last Mon is LO Hitmon because its a offensive check to many mons right now (also i really love using Sucker on it because nobody expects it and Scarf Delphoxor Mismag are on like most of the teams right now i feel like. Its especially nice in Fighting Spam. Buginium Bro is to beat other Bros and Malamar which are huge problems for my team and EQ on Toxicroak come in pretty handy against Spike Matchups as my Hitmon doesnt carry Spin.

The team is pretty solid i think and i won the most recent roomtour with it so it shouldnt be too bad :D

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Toxicroak @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 216 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap
- Toxic

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 HP / 56 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

I wanted to start with the Rockium Toxicroak + Whimsicott core because Toxicroak can lure Golbat (and to an extent Xatu) and destroy them with Continental Crush for Whimsicott. Specs Whimsicott is a fun set that actually can be problematic for more offensive teams and can gain momentum against fatter ones.

Next I added Vaporeon to handle Fire types, which could destroy both Whimsicott and Toxicroak. My team had no decent switch to Sceptile and Vikavolt, so I added Togedemaru which actually is a decent Pokemon that could check both and check Vanilluxe as well. I chose to use this set because I felt that Wish wasn't 100% needed because I could pass wishes from Vaporeon, and Toxic is really cool to wear down bulkier Pokemon for its teammates. I didn't have a Stealth Rock user and I was kinda weak to CM Delphox, so I added Regirock, which is a great check to Delphox. It also can help alleviate pressure on Vaporeon.

On the last slot, I needed a fast scarfer that at least outspeed +2 Adamant Barbaracle and KO it, so I chose Delphox. Delphox gives me one more Sceptile check, Ice Cream Check and Scarf Boar check.

The fact that the team don't have a solid Ground resist is annoying, making Pokemon like offensive Seismitoad a big threat to the team. Fighting types can be a bit annoying, although it's not impossible to handle with 3 fighting resists. Another Z-Stone like Poisonium could be used over Rockium if you want to hit things like Slowbro harder and +2 Stone Edge still hits Golbat decently hard.

That was a fun team that I built that I enjoyed using, hopefully you can try it out and enjoy it too n_n

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Substitute

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unburden
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Slowbro @ Buginium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Scald
- Slack Off

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

So, decided to make a fun little team around Sub-Punch Toxicroak, with a fun tech in knock off. The main theory here is that Sub-Punch lets you come in easily on the most common Seis set, which is easily lured in for Slowbro, which in turn lures in enemy Slowbro for you. Then you have fun stuff like Specs HP rock Accelgor, which abuses Toxic's Knock off to let it easily pressure enemy Golbat, having a chance to KO after SR (Admittedly an incredibly small one). Pilo is here for an ice resist, and another way to pressure slowbro, while Xatu does Xatu stuff. Houndoom finishes up the team with a very efficient way to remove enemy Delphox, which is otherwise a slight problem.

Will Likely fix it up later.

Last edited:
Voting for round one has ended.... and our winner is:
Earth!

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Toxicroak @ Poisonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fake Tears
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Toxic

Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon

Skuntank @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse
- Defog

Congratulations to this round's winner who is the first one in the Hall of Fame!

Round Two is coming soon, stay tuned!

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 172 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

As ofcourse i started up with Slowking for this teambuilding competition, I felt like Piloswine was a good addition because of its type synergy with Slowking. Skuntank has great type synergy with this team, it being able to take on grass types, absorbing t-spikes and defogging away hazards like spikes which i was very weak to, Piloswine also helps it by beating most ground types. Guzzlord was looking like a big threat, that is why i made this Mega Audino spread to always get 3hko'd by modest specs Guzzlord + outspeeding the standard spread. Emboar is able to beat steel types which my team seemed to struggle with in general. Guzzlord was a nice addition as its able to beat a very large amount of the tier, my team also struggled with psychic types like Xatu.

I had a go at building a team with OTR Slowking, which turned out pretty cheese but fun.

Slowking @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Exeggutor-Alola @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Frisk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Trick Room

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Quiet Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Surf
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room

Uxie @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball

Emboar @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Grass Knot

pretty self explanitory, uxie is the suicide setter, Slowking and Eggy can set it again and abuse it themself, Audino is here as an additional setter and as a Revive for any of the other members. Emboar and Vika are the general abusers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)