Unpopular Opinion - Why I think DD should be banned from OU:

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
(Just getting used to posting - take with grain of salt, but replies are appreciated).

OK... I know i'm going to get a lot of funny looks for this, but (as you can see by the title) I think Dragon Dance should be banned from OU.

The reason? Well...
Before I say anything, I don't really have a problem with the move itself - more so the fact that some of it's best abusers (mainly Zard X; Megamance; Dragonite; Gyarados etc.) have some form of bulk to them. A thus: becoming kind of hard to stop without specific coverage on the opposing side.

Mega Salamance in particular is the reason I'm making this post, as Sub-Return would have been vaguely healthy did it not have access to DD. You guys remember that set, right? The one where people would forfeit the second this thing found proper setup? Yeah, THAT... so my question is: without DD... would this thing be doing half as much to the meta as it was? (Actually, don't answer that. The answer is but rhetorical...). In all seriousness: Salamance & Mega Salamance have more then enough versatility and (in the case of the latter) bulk to them to keep this mon going, and DD was, in my opinion, what made it unhealthy. Before anyone asks: yes, I do think Megamance should be unbanned in the unlikely event that banning DD ever comes to fruition.

Also - a lot has changed since the first draft of ORAS OU back in November 2014. Since then, BP Speed alongside other stats have been banned, Greninja and others have been banned (what Ash-Greninja will do to the meta, god knows...) and other minor details I'm sure are too numerous for me to mention at the moment.

Anyway - i'd quite like to hear everyone's opinion of this. Again, take this post with a pinch of salt - as i'm mostly waiting for Sun & Moon to come out before I get back into Smogon battling (I'm mostly an aspiring Sm4sh player at the moment + Shulk main). If it sounds like i'm speaking out of my ass, then sorry!

Until next time, later!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hey!

Sorry, but this is not the place for this--this is an analysis workshop, not a metagame discussion forum (in this case, you'd be looking for the OU forum), but discussion on bans is not allowed outside of dedicated suspect threads. If there's something you feel that's deserving of a suspect test / ban, you're always free to PM the OU Council, but in this case I can essentially guarantee you that would be to no avail, since we prefer to ban Pokemon rather than moves / abilities whenever possible, unless the move / ability in question is broken in a vacuum, regardless of the Pokemon that's using them (like Moody / OHKO moves were; and unlike DD, since as you said yourself, the reason it makes Mence broken is because of Mence's good bulk / Aerilate / etc, not just DD's inherent traits).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)