SM OU under the rainbow

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

under the rainbow

Hey. It's been a long time since my first rmt, and since the sun and moon metagame will be changing with all the new mega stones coming, I decided to drop what i consider to be my most successful SM team. If you have been active in the tournament community you have probably seen this team used a couple times, and i absolutely love it, mainly because it can win most of the matchups avaliable, which is what i always aim on doing and, in my opinion, the best way to build in general. The general idea behind it was to be able to check the most common threats in the metagame, while still being able to have enough firepower to get through defensive teams(or the so-called stall teams). The first couple pokes came along when my weeb friendo FLCL dropped the z hyper beam keldeo idea on raiders' discord chat, which i found to actually do a decent job vs stall if you give keld scald because you can fish for the burn on Toxapex and then cm up and beam it at the correct time(note: this moveset wasn't common at all at the time, in fact, nobody used it b4, so it will probably be worthless vs stall these days). And thus, with a couple test games, the original version was made, and used on my week 3 game vs user Obliviate. I was pretty satisfied with the result at first, but with Pheromosa getting way more common on the tournament scene a bit later i realized the huge weakness this team had to it. After a lot of testing and thinking the final version was concluded, with the addition of Tapu Bulu and Toxapex, as well as Toxic over Extremespeed on Zygarde, to, alongside bulu, help me out more vs stall. I didn't realize it before, but the zygarde+bulu duo is actually really dope, due to thousand arrows being unaffected by the grassy terrain, meaning zygarde gets to heal up after its sub and become even more annoying to deal with then before, as well as the overall great synergy they have that, alongside Heatran, makes it for only a weakness of ghost types. Not only that, but with the addition of the Pex, Zygarde had even more support due to the Toxic Spikes. And with that, you've got the team that managed to get PDC's week 6 spl win, as well as a lot of wins in general in ost(think it lost it's streak with Croven? dude played real bad tho fuck croven lol. jk ilu), and some other random shit.

The name under the rainbow comes from the song Singing Under the Rainbow that i found some time ago, made by World's new girlfriend. Gotta tell you it's not for everybody though.

Tapu Bulu @

Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
Horn Leech
-
Superpower
-
Zen Headbutt
-
Swords Dance

Not my favorite pokemon, but it has its uses. With great typing, absurd attack stat and actual decent natural bulk, TheThorn helps me out as something that heavily pressures slow Pokés(mainly bulky waters) while being able to check the likes of Zygarde, Tapu Koko and even specs Greninja in a pinch, and its ability Grassy Terrain also helps the team a lot in general due to reasons stated before. But its main role and the reason why it was brought up was the headache it causes to common stall teams, being able to get through Counter Skarmory by setting up, Horn Leeching on the counter, and finishing it off with z superpower. Zen Headbutt isn't really mandatory but it's great for Mega Venusaur who otherwise can be quite annoying to deal with this team. The speed EVs given to it are enough to outspeed base 70s that lack +speed, while also being helpful by outspeeding base 100s that lack speed evs like spdef Mew/Jirachi and being faster than a couple Tapu Fini spreads. It was originally max speed, but the difference of power between jolly and adamant felt really big, and max speed ada was quite worthless in the many games this team played through, while the little bit of hp has come in handy.

Landorus-Therian @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
-
Earthquake
-
Hidden Power [Ice]
-
Stealth Rock
-
U-turn

The classic most annoying piece of crap ever, maxdef lando-t is one of the most important pokes to have on this team, helping me out vs alolan-marowak, offensive Landorus-T (especially with hp ice), Salamence, Charizard-X, list goes on. If you have played OU you've probably noticed how useful this thing can be, so not much to say here. Intimidate is also fantastic and helpful at a countless amount of times. The speed creep is there just to get the faster HP ice vs opposing defensive ones, which generally opens up for Zygarde mid/late-game to do some work.

Zygarde @

Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 216 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpD / 104 Spe
Careful Nature
-
Thousand Arrows
-
Substitute
-
Coil
-
Toxic

Here's the star of the show, the Pokémon that does the most work through all of the team's support and probably my favorite Pokemon in the current metagame, with so many great sets (hey i've even used scarf!) it has just because of thousand arrows being so great. As I said, zygarde is generally the one who's gonna be doing work, be it against bulky teams or offensive teams. With fantastic bulk, typing and moves, a well-played zyg is generally a big threat. The most questionable move is probably Toxic due to Toxapex already having tspikes to help it out, but after some games I realized that with this version of the team Toxic just worked better. I've had games where i stalled out fini's terrain by subbing down to toxic it, then get grassy terrain back up so that zygarde heals back, which enables it to easily beat it afterwards. Not only that, but with grassy terrain, it actually becomes quite annoying for stall. Don't get me wrong, zygarde won't beat stall by itself, but it can stall out Clefable's heal bells by playing it well in general, with a couple of double switches, using Sub on pokés like chansey, and then when Clef gets brought back in, you're able to toxic it and burn one Heal Bell PP. You gotta be wary of Toxic Dugtrio, but i've had countless games vs the stall matchup and i can guarantee you that by playing bulu+zyg well you should be able to overcome stall. Nonethless, Extremespeed is still viable and helps the team out a little bit more vs offensive archetypes. The EV spread was made by my friend CrashinBoomBang (I think?); i just gave it a bit more speed to outspeed max speed Magearna(shift gear mag) because it wasn't a lot more and it has helped me a couple times so yeah.

Heatran @

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Fire Blast
-
Flash Cannon
-
Earth Power
-
Flamethrower / Lava Plume / Toxic

The team's main revenge killer and generally what cleans up in most games. Not gonna tell you it's my favorite scarfer or anything because the lack of speed it has can be a little bit annoying, but it's one of the few decent scarfers that are also able to check Tapu Lele, as well as Mega Pinsir, so there's that. But yeah, Heatran's great typing is really helpful at times. The set is quite standard for Scarf Tran so really not much to talk about; its last move is Flamethrower so that you don't really need to risk Fire Blast unless you need to, but Lava Plume and toxic are both viable choices. I generally don't use Plume just because, with the burn nerf, it really hasn't done much for me and i felt the power difference at times, while toxic was decent but with zyg already having it and Toxapex generally getting up tspikes, it didn't feel like an important move in basically any game.

Scizor-Mega (M) @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 56 SpD / 156 Spe
Impish Nature
-
Bullet Punch
-
U-turn
-
Roost
-
Defog
Lol, this thing's on like every single one of my teams nowadays honestly. The reason being that it's like the best Metagross check out there(and honestly basically the safest one). Regardless, Sciz works quite well with the terrain and is just a great stop to some of the common threats in the meta right now. Having Bullet Punch is also really important for this team, due to the only thing this team has for speed being scarf tran, so some priority is always handful. Defog is also great for this team, because I can opt for going through the opp's team with my hazards(stealth rock and toxic spikes), or having none of them up in the game, which is crucial when the opp's team has Spikes, which otherwise are a real pain for the team to deal with. I believe the ev spread is tdk's with a bit of speed, honestly it just doesn't need max defense unless it's your only ground check and the spdef is great at times, the speed helps it by outspeeding most magnezones as well as Rotom-W, meaning free U-Turns.

Toxapex @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
-
Scald
-
Toxic Spikes
-
Recover
-
Haze / Toxic
The fearsome pex. The pokemon that at first looked to be only worth using on stall teams actually found some usage on other team styles, due to being able to check so much shit in the metagame at the moment(especially with Mega Scizor as a teammate). And obviously Toxic Spikes works really well for this team, so there's that. The EV spread allows it to tank an Earthquake from a couple of Landorus-T sets and just physical things in general while still being able to easily eat up hits from the likes of Specs Greninja and Volcarona. I generally use haze as its last move for this team because it covers up things like volc and quiver dance pheromosa well, but toxic works just as fine.

At the end of the day, I'm not gonna tell you this team doesn't have flaws. There's a couple things that it struggles with, mainly the likes of Tapu Lele(i'd say the biggest problem for this team, but really not something that gave me trouble throughout any game due to it being unable to ohko barely anything so you can wear it down especially if the opponent lacks something for Toxic Spikes, you gotta play well though and specs Tapu Lele probably autowins) and specs Hoopa-U, as well as some obscure shit out there like focus energy Kingdra(stopped by 30-0 random streak on ladder lmao). I'd say it can beat most of the common teams at the moment and it's really not hard to use after you get the hang of it, so try it out sometime! Let's have fun in the incoming Mawile metagame.
Shoutouts to the VoD chat, Olt chat, "cbb circlejerk chat", raiders chat, banana meteor chat, the spheal chat, the weeb chat and the one with the dog as channel pic, as well as the bus stop(plop), most of the ppl in these are awesome and really fun to talk with, not gonna say names but you know who you are and stuff :heart:

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 216 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpD / 104 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Coil
- Toxic

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 56 SpD / 156 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)