Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

On Celesteela's analysis:

Celesteela also has the option of offensive sets that can snowball with Beast Boost, but those lack Speed and can be easily outsped by fast Choice Scarf users even after an Autotomize boost.
This should be removed entirely since offensive sets are not in the least bit viable so why mention it?

Zygarde and other Ground-types are great breakers to pair with Celesteela because they can help break down Pokemon capable of walling Celesteela like Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur.
Zygarde and other Ground-types (which are Lando-T and the very uncommon Chomp) can break through those 3 grass types but i'd say it's an uphill battle for them so this sentence is quite misleading, especially when those 3 grass types are mentioned as checks/ counters to the Ground types in their analyses.

Another point is the 3 grass types are described as "capable of walling Celesteela" here but are not mentioned at all in checks and counters section.

Also, there are mentions of Z-Electric Tapu Lele at many parts of the analysis but that's not an actual Lele set on Lele's analysis. Very uncommon lure set shouldn't be mentioned with such prominence.

Hey, wasn't sure where to post this. On Thundurus' (not therian) dex page "sweeping" is missing a g (sweepin) in the 6th line in the overview for SM.

" However, an unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it hard for Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its sweepin capabilities. "

Obviously not a big deal, I'm just very bored.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, wasn't sure where to post this. On Thundurus' (not therian) dex page "sweeping" is missing a g (sweepin) in the 6th line in the overview for SM.

" However, an unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock as well as subpar bulk make it hard for Thundurus to set up with Nasty Plot unpunished, thus limiting its sweepin capabilities. "

Obviously not a big deal, I'm just very bored.
I’ve uploaded this to the CMS. If anyone wants to merge that that’s be :ok_hand:

There really ought to be more to Victini's analysis than Z-Celebrate. It's one of the premiere Trick Room setters/sweepers in OU and no one knows it because there's no analysis on it.

Brave @ Life Orb
252 Att/ 252 Sp att (0 speed IV)
~Trick Room
~V-Create
~Fusion Bolt
~Glaciate

Life Orb gives you power and versatility, V-Create speed drop helps you out under TR, Fusion Bolt nails bulky waters, and Glaciate OHKOs Landorus-T 92.5% of the time. On a team with other Trick Room users, Victini is often a powerful opener or closer.

There really ought to be more to Victini's analysis than Z-Celebrate. It's one of the premiere Trick Room setters/sweepers in OU and no one knows it because there's no analysis on it.

Brave @ Life Orb
252 Att/ 252 Sp att (0 speed IV)
~Trick Room
~V-Create
~Fusion Bolt
~Glaciate

Life Orb gives you power and versatility, V-Create speed drop helps you out under TR, Fusion Bolt nails bulky waters, and Glaciate OHKOs Landorus-T 92.5% of the time. On a team with other Trick Room users, Victini is often a powerful opener or closer.
doesn't have an analysis and most likely won't cuz it's far worse without z-celebrate and tr rarely has a place for it, if ever.

An observation a friend pointed out to me something regarding the 248 HP investment on several Pokemons, like Zapdos and Toxapex who carry lefties:
They would reach 384 and 304 HP respectively with 252 HP investment instead, which is a lefties number. So despite taking 1 point more of damage from SR, they will end up healing 1 more point at the end of the turn with lefties, hence being more efficient.

This applies to every other Pokemon with a base stat of (8n + 2), so the ones that are OU viable are as follows:
Base 50: Toxapex, RotomW
Base 74: Ferrothorn (already 252 HP in analysis so doesn't matter)
Base 90: Zapdos
Base 114: Amoonguss

Guys, should we add back some old alolawak sets like this one as other options?

Offensive Tank

Marowak-Alola @ Thicc Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe (EV spread by Jaguar360)
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Bonemarang
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

Substitute Attacker (suggested by Albacore)

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang / Earthquake
- Substitute

Not like it can't function outside of trick room as a niche extreme-power break with no resists, though it would need bulu support.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Guys, should we add back some old alolawak sets like this one as other options?

Offensive Tank

Marowak-Alola @ Thicc Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe (EV spread by Jaguar360)
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Bonemarang
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

Substitute Attacker (suggested by Albacore)

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang / Earthquake
- Substitute

Not like it can't function outside of trick room as a niche extreme-power break with no resists, though it would need bulu support.
The issue with Alolan Marowak is that it's very hard to justify outside of Trick Room and hasn't really seen play on any serious non TR team since like last SPL. The bulky sets were never good in the first place and only saw some ladder play at the beginning of the gen when not everyone knew what its best set was. Unless you can provide solid arguments backed up by succesful builds where that offensive Alolan Marowak set provides something to the team I doubt it's getting a set, at least in the near future

On Choice Scarf Blacephalon, mention that Fire Blast kills Koko after rocks
252 SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 255-300 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
On Mega Pinsir, mention Knock Off Kartana in Team Options

Really, this Marowak-Alola is only here because there is basically no other option for physical fire type attackers besides Charizard X in OU, which is why I considered asking for your and others opinions on whether the sets should be brought back as other options, NOT main sets. The substitute attacker only meant to setup on chansey, ferrothorn and skarmory etc., then fire off some incredibly powerful attacks, 2HKOing or OHKOing a large portion of the metagame with Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone. It's not really meant to be its primary option; it's pretty much only built for teams that have problem breaking down walls, which alolawak can easily take advantage of. The offensive tank is pretty much only for teams that have bulu support with grassy terrain and can afford to provide support alowak. So really, it`s only going to be other options any which way.

Really, this Marowak-Alola is only here because there is basically no other option for physical fire type attackers besides Charizard X in OU, which is why I considered asking for your and others opinions on whether the sets should be brought back as other options, NOT main sets. The substitute attacker only meant to setup on chansey, ferrothorn and skarmory etc., then fire off some incredibly powerful attacks, 2HKOing or OHKOing a large portion of the metagame with Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone. It's not really meant to be its primary option; it's pretty much only built for teams that have problem breaking down walls, which alolawak can easily take advantage of. The offensive tank is pretty much only for teams that have bulu support with grassy terrain and can afford to provide support alowak. So really, it`s only going to be other options any which way.
They should not because theyre rather shit and simply not worth using, doesnt matter if theyre the primary option or not.

Last edited:
OU Mega Scizor analysis said:
Running 64 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature secures the 2HKO on uninvested Zygarde with Bullet Punch, preventing Choice Band and offensive Dragon Dance variants from netting too much damage on Mega Scizor.
This sounds like as if Mega Scizor 2HKOes Zygarde with Bullet Punch, but in reality Mega Scizor 2HKOes uninvested Zygarde with +2 Bullet Punch. This will need to be specified.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I was reading Tornadus-T analysis

"Tornadus-T is a situational pick on more balanced teams that require its combination of good Speed, a useful typing, and strong Flying-type STAB attacks, which allow it to check Pokemon such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and defensive Landorus-T."

I'm not sure, but I think the overwiew sould receive a little change, we're talking about a Pokemon which is being discussed to stay at B+ rank, is calling it "situational pick" making justice for a Pokemon of this rank?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I was reading Tornadus-T analysis

"Tornadus-T is a situational pick on more balanced teams that require its combination of good Speed, a useful typing, and strong Flying-type STAB attacks, which allow it to check Pokemon such as Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and defensive Landorus-T."

I'm not sure, but I think the overwiew sould receive a little change, we're talking about a Pokemon which is being discussed to stay at B+ rank, is calling it "situational pick" making justice for a Pokemon of this rank?
Thanks for pointing this out, I'll rework the overview in a bit to reflect its current viability

I'll write something kinda long, I hope don't break any rule.

Araquanid has been the mon that I have use most since USUM came out and I think that its analysis is missing some important aspects that can be worth of mention.

The analysis start saying that Araquanid is a suicide lead for sticky web teams but in my own experience Araquanid has a bad match up against almost every common lead/anti-lead and, like the analysis itself says, is vulnerable against hazard control, I rarely use it as the lead.
I posted in the viability ranking thread about why Araquanid must be ranked higher than Shuckle (and seems that it will end with Shuckle dropping instead Araquanid raising) and one of my arguments is that Araquanid thanks to its typing, bulk and ability can take adventage of some of the most common Pokémon in the tier to set up SW or even KO them, this support the idea that Araquanid doesn't have to be always the lead and it can set up the SW early or even in the mid game.

Sticky web teams are falling in viability beacause the new and old defoggers make hard keeping the sticky web in the field so the Araquanid's capacity fo setting up it multiple times if needed thanks to the favorable match ups it has can be worth of mention.

The analysis mentions that it can be good in Trick Room but I think that also should be mentioned that it can be useful against it, since the Araquanid's speed is irrelevant and even is lowered if you run HP fire to lure Kartana, running a min speed Araquanid can be good to take adventage of the abysmal Araquanid's speed to take adventage of your rival's trick room because Araquanid is slower than the most common trick room abusers.

And finally, I think that can be mentioned that Araquanid has wallbreaking capabilities, according to the showdown calculator, Araquanid's Liquidation hits as hard as non choice specs Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump thanks to Water Bubble:

252 SpA Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 204-240 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 204-242 (59.8 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Keeping that in mind makes easy to imagine that almost nothing appreciates switch in into an attack from Araquanid, so usually when Araquanid forces a switch in to your opponent's water resist or something that is assumed that can take hits from Araquanid, like a physical wall, can happen two things: the mon that enters to the field threatens Araquanid at the point where you will lose a lot not matter what if you don't switch (like Amoonguss, Tapu Bulu or Ferrothorn) or the answer to Araquanid kinda walls you and staying can be bad for you but it also can't do much against you (Toxapex setting Toxic Spikes). In the second scenario Araquanid can take down one of your opponent's Pokémon or keeping with low HP a wall for its teamates if you run Metronome in Araquanid, if switch in into Liquidation is hard, with the boost gained after a couple turns is nearly imposible without get a KO. The Metronome's boosts combinated with the chance of dropping the opponent defense creates a situation where your opponent can lose one or two Pokémon if makes a mistake or doesn't have a counterplay to it with the mon is taking the hits (examples: Toxapex with Haze, Scald, recover and Toxic Spikes or Mew with Defog, Soft Boild, WoW and Ice beam).

You can say that any Pokémon can do the same thing with Metronome and you'll be right but I think that Araquanid takes more advantage of it thanks to its speed, while faster mons can be handled better thanks to slow volt/turn users, Araquanid being slower than the most of slow volt/turn users potencially can force a sacrifice in order to be revenge killed, while also boost the power of non water moves and avoids became a set up fodder against some mons like Mega Latias and Mega-Scizor.

I think is important mention it because Araquanid, in my opinion, outclasses other Sticky web setters for its offensive presence now that bulky offense is raising and sometimes the sticky web isn't required and vs stall the other sticky webs setters except for Ribombee are dead weight thanks to Sableye while if you run Araquanid with Metronome it can take a KO if your opponent doesn't toxic it in the first turns where it enters to the field.

Summary:

• Araquanid hasn't to be always the lead unless your team really needs it, other offensive hazard setters like Z-Fly Landorus or Mega-Diancie can be better options to lead according the match up and has good synergy with Araquanid, Diancie can scare or KO anti leads like Zapdos, Kyurem Black or another hazard setters while Landorus can check lead Tapu Koko and Hawlucha (a huge pain for SW teams) in the late game while Araquanid checks Ash Greninja forcing it to choose carefully in what it want to be locked with its choice specs.
  • Araquanid has good matchups against common Pokémon in the tier such Heatran, defensive or scarf Landorus locked in nve attack (is recommendable scout this first, any z move can OHKO Araquanid), Keldeo, Ash Greninja, etc, Allowing it setting SW multiple times if is needed.
  • Its offensive capacities and low speed (to avoid slow volt/turn) can make it a threat for your opponent's team under the right circumstances. While supports the team offensively versus Trick Room teams outspeeding under it the most common abusers and versus stall being able to do much damage to the opponent's team and potentially keeping some walls with low HP for its teammates or even get a KO, something that others SW setters can't do habitually.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Minor spelling mistake with Tornadus-T overview "[...]which allows it to fully counter the most common Stealthg Rock"

Reactions: Leo
In Mantine's OU analysis http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/mantine/ou/, it says this in the set details section:

The given Special Defense investment [208 calm] allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja if Stealth Rock is not up, survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon, and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane.

By saying "if Stealth Rock is not up" the analysis implies that Mantine gets 2hko'd if it tries to switch in after rocks, which isn't the case.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 129-153 (34.5 - 41%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 139-165 (37.2 - 44.2%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And although the analysis does hold true half the time for specs pelipper, and keeping these point together can be nice for a short primer, there's several analyses that has one section for calcs without hazards and another for calcs with hazards, such as

[Mega Venusaur] avoids the 2HKO from pre-transformation Battle Bond Greninja's Choice Specs-boosted Dark Pulse after damage from Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes while also avoiding the 2HKO from Choice Specs-boosted Extrasensory with no entry hazards up.

Solutions:

The given Special Defense investment allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja and survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon after Stealth Rock damage. and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane.

Choice specs pelipper is very uncommon right now, sporting roughly 17% usage on a pokemon found on 5% of all teams, which is less than 1% of all OU teams. It's uncommon enough that it's fine to leave out of the analysis. It leaves the set details section as concise as possible.

The given Special Defense investment allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja, survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon after Stealth Rock damage, and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane if Stealth Rock is off the field.

This gives a bit more info to the reader, and although less concise, it explains more about what mantine can do.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
In Mantine's OU analysis http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/mantine/ou/, it says this in the set details section:

The given Special Defense investment [208 calm] allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja if Stealth Rock is not up, survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon, and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane.

By saying "if Stealth Rock is not up" the analysis implies that Mantine gets 2hko'd if it tries to switch in after rocks, which isn't the case.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 129-153 (34.5 - 41%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 139-165 (37.2 - 44.2%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And although the analysis does hold true half the time for specs pelipper, and keeping these point together can be nice for a short primer, there's several analyses that has one section for calcs without hazards and another for calcs with hazards, such as

[Mega Venusaur] avoids the 2HKO from pre-transformation Battle Bond Greninja's Choice Specs-boosted Dark Pulse after damage from Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes while also avoiding the 2HKO from Choice Specs-boosted Extrasensory with no entry hazards up.

Solutions:

The given Special Defense investment allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja and survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon after Stealth Rock damage. and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane.

Choice specs pelipper is very uncommon right now, sporting roughly 17% usage on a pokemon found on 5% of all teams, which is less than 1% of all OU teams. It's uncommon enough that it's fine to leave out of the analysis. It leaves the set details section as concise as possible.

The given Special Defense investment allows Mantine to take two Dark Pulses from Ash-Greninja, survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Blacephalon after Stealth Rock damage, and avoid the 2HKO from Pelipper's Choice Specs Hurricane if Stealth Rock is off the field.

This gives a bit more info to the reader, and although less concise, it explains more about what mantine can do.
I submitted a cms for this yesterday I think, basically that description aplied for an old spread that was changed a while ago, just had to adjust the current spread a bit and change the details section but thanks for pointing that out anyways

Hi I was just looking at Salamence I know this is BL and low priority, but in the C&C's it references some out of date tech. Scarf Garchomp, which is practically nonexistent and Slowbro, which is an NU mon not ranked as viable (assuming this refers to non-mega, either way both are not used really at all). I think Rotom-Wash is a possible replacement for Slowbro as a bulky Water type, there's already the rule of 3 without Scarf Chomp there.

Edit - that was a hella long sentence

Posted this in the reservation thread originally, lmao oops :|

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Heart Swap Magearna could deserves its own set. This is not the first time it has seen tournament use, and with the seeming rise of CM set up mons, in Reuniclus, Clefable, M.Latias as well as Shift Gear magearna also seems to be making a comeback over AV. Also with the rise of Av Bulu and Specs Psyshock Lele, Magearna finds its self in less need of so much spdef, with bulu taking grens and kokos pressure off somewhat while psyshock not allowing it to check lele so well. This also allows it to not be as much volcarona bait, potentially passing -2 spatk while stealling the qd.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split

Just lifted this from the ubers set, tho evs can probably be refined.

Sorry if my meta game knowledge is a little off, but I think Heart Swap needs at very least a mention, as the clostest I could find to it was just the mention of a SpDef set, just so newer/less experienced players know about it.
Finally, a specially defensive set with Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, Pain Split, and Fleur Cannon can be used to spread status and heal itself, but Magearna generally prefers the extra bulk provided by Assault Vest.

Posted this in the reservation thread originally, lmao oops :|

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Heart Swap Magearna could deserves its own set. This is not the first time it has seen tournament use, and with the seeming rise of CM set up mons, in Reuniclus, Clefable, M.Latias as well as Shift Gear magearna also seems to be making a comeback over AV. Also with the rise of Av Bulu and Specs Psyshock Lele, Magearna finds its self in less need of so much spdef, with bulu taking grens and kokos pressure off somewhat while psyshock not allowing it to check lele so well. This also allows it to not be as much volcarona bait, potentially passing -2 spatk while stealling the qd.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split

Just lifted this from the ubers set, tho evs can probably be refined.

Sorry if my meta game knowledge is a little off, but I think Heart Swap needs at very least a mention, as the clostest I could find to it was just the mention of a SpDef set, just so newer/less experienced players know about it.
The main reason heart swap magearna is used in ubers is because of the various calm mind arceus forms and xerneas. It's still useful against CM gothitelle, CM lunala, and NP naganadel, in a last ditch effort to stop a sweep.

So obviously these threats aren't around. What could a heart swap set do to check OU threats?

In the OU Role Compendium, there's well over 80 different types of set up sweepers in the tier, ranging from the standard quiver dance volcarona to the unique unburden electric seed hawlucha to the relatively niche curse gastrodon.

The main problem is, most of these set up sweepers either are physical sweepers, where it'd be more efficient to run something like haze toxapex or mantine, or are pokemon that naturally have a type advantage over magearna. Furthermore, if a heart swap is successful, magearna may not have a reliable way of hitting back the opponent, which is important against pokemon like z celebrate victini, calm mind clefable, or even calm mind tapu lele. As a result, there's little to no situation where heart swap magearna would be more useful than just using AV magearna or haze toxapex.

Just some random calcs to show how much magearna would take from various special attackers that it might want to steal boosts from

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 390-459 (107.1 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 362-428 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 270-318 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Hoopa-Unbound All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 331-390 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 295-348 (81 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 184-217 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 192-227 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 226-268 (62 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (offensive celesteela isn't really a thing anymore, but I'm just posting this here for sake of clarity)
No calc for serperior as it would just stall out magearna with subseed

Note that these set up sweepers aren't always seen on teams. Not counting Volcarona, which would ohko magearna at +1, the next most common set up sweepers are keldeo can go for taunt to prevent a heart swap or pain split and survives a +1 fleur cannon, and victini, which would be better checked by payapa berry toxapex, because it doesnt lose 1v1. The only set that heart swap magearna consistently beats is calm mind z move tapu lele, but doesn't regular AV magearna do that already?

In short, heart swap magearna might be able to go into other options section of the analysis, but this set just clearly doesn't have enough targets in the OU metagame to be viable.

Last edited:
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 390-459 (107.1 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 362-428 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 270-318 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Hoopa-Unbound All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 331-390 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 295-348 (81 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 184-217 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 192-227 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Magearna: 226-268 (62 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (offensive celesteela isn't really a thing anymore, but I'm just posting this here for sake of clarity)
No calc for serperior as it would just stall out magearna with subseed

Note that these set up sweepers aren't always seen on teams. Not counting Volcarona, which would ohko magearna at +1

1) A lot of the set up sweepers / breakers youve listed are now dwindling in usage; Manaphy, Victini, keldeo, serperior and Celesteela (granted you noted this) while both Victini and Volcarona being listed are completely irrelevant as the set would be replacing the standard av magearna, which doesnt beat these sets anyway.

Not counting Volcarona, which would ohko magearna at +1, the next most common set up sweepers are keldeo can go for taunt to prevent a heart swap or pain split and survives a +1 fleur cannon

2) ???? +1 0 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 384-452 (118.8 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I gave you the benefit of the doubt giving the keld +1 too

Keldeo has been dropping off in usage a lot in recently, with many unfavourable meta trends such as the huge spurt in usage of Av Bulu and Kartana. CM tauntZ isnt even its most common set either, with its usage being only around 12%, leaving the majority of its all ready low overall usage shared between mainly Scarf and Sub CM Lefties, which potentially beats Av Magearna, but loses to Heart Swap as it bypasses substitute
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.58.09.png

So obviously these threats aren't around. What could a heart swap set do to check OU threats?
The only set that heart swap magearna consistently beats is calm mind z move tapu lele, but doesn't regular AV magearna do that already?

3) As I mentioned, there are new set up sweepers rising in usage that can beat the standard av magearna such as CM Cosmic Power Clef, M.Latias and Reuniclus, which heart swap can check and beat all reliably.

The main problem is, most of these set up sweepers either are physical sweepers, where it'd be more efficient to run something like haze toxapex or mantine, or are pokemon that naturally have a type advantage over magearna.

4) This all depends on the team, how its made up and the type synergy / support. Magearna has a completely different type to these allowing it to beat the certain set up sweepers they cant while also fulliling a defensive role still. Pex doesn't beat scarf lele iirc and mantine is weak to rocks, yet I want a way to beat both cm cosmic clef and shift gear / cm magearna variants, and theres Magearnas niche over these.

Furthermore, if a heart swap is successful, magearna may not have a reliable way of hitting back the opponent, which is important against pokemon like z celebrate victini, calm mind clefable, or even calm mind tapu lele. As a result, there's little to no situation where heart swap magearna would be more useful than just using AV magearna or haze toxapex.

5) The reason it can check the Cm users in ubers, is because it removes there stats to use against them. This still applies in ou, im pretty sure both Lele and Clefable dont appreciate a +1 fluer cannon. And a reason to use them would be checking these new threats that find ways past the standard Av Magearna, while providing different role compaction / type synergy that toxapex or others may not have for that team.

Im not saying this is anywhere near as good as the standard Av Magearna, as a lot of these rising threats are still uncommon, however I am saying it has a defined niche over the standard Av Magearna, which Ou tournament players have been picking up on over the year or so, and I think it desrves its own set for newer plays to implement into there teams when needed. At the bare minumum I think it deserves a mention in OO as it has been seen throughout the generation in ou. Yes it now loses to Ash Greninja and others a lot more easily, but its a different set so will need different support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)