Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest a small change in Mantine's EV spread. With the current spread in Smogon Dex, Specs Blacephalon kills Mantine 1/3 times with rocks up, so I thought that the EV spread could be optimizated in order to counter this threat:

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic
- Haze / Toxic

Current spread
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Mantine: 136-162 (36.4 - 43.4%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Suggested spread
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

With this spread, Mantine counters Choice Specs Blacephalon, mon who is a shit ton threatening for fat balance, making it a reliable answer to it. However, this come at exchange of good chunk of physical bulk.

Another way it could be run 220 in SpD to full counter Ash-Ninja with rocks up (if it don't flinch tho)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Made change with the 52 Def / 208 SpD. I also made Defog a standalone in slot 3 .

EDIT: I may re-evaluate and go back to the old spread after sedertz pointed out a couple calculations that are rather sketchy. I'll keep the spread for now, but likely will change it in time.
Was reading the Hippowdon analysis and,
“Hippowdon's phenomenal bulk coupled with a solid typing and access to some good support moves in Stealth Rock, Whirlwind, and Slack Off allow it to act as a really good blanket check to some common threats such as Mega Pinsir, Zygarde, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp.”
Bisharp isn’t very common ATM so i would replace it with Tyranitar.
That new Mantine spread also seems like a good idea to implement.
Added Tyranitar over Bisharp.
Will you make an Hydreigon analysis?
At this time I don't really see a reason for it, though I do think it can have some mentions on being able to resist Blacephelon's STABs. Hydreigon is still really niche and meta is still too new to allow really niche Pokemon to have an updated analysis. I'll keep it in the backburner.

I also implemented Stakataka in the Trick Room partners for Uxie, Cresselia, and Magearna.

Last edited:
I think that HP Fire should get mentioned in the moves section on Suicide Lead Greninja's analysis since it can bop Defog Mega Scizor which would otherwise be very annoying.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
defog sciz isnt a problem cause u taunt it, tho i do agree its worth mentioning for sd scizor because it grabs an sd and 6-0s ho, especially using drill as setup fodder. Second Slash after tspikes, not over taunt to be clear.

If you throw it in move details or whatever thats fine too idk if it deserves a main slash but it should be clear to readers that u do it over tspikes

Edit: wait i can cms this now jej

Last edited:
Any reason why baneful bunker was added to the Toxapex analysis? It’s pretty much widely accepted that it’s a meme, and it prevents you from running more useful moves, like t spikes or even knock off.

Any reason why baneful bunker was added to the Toxapex analysis? It’s pretty much widely accepted that it’s a meme, and it prevents you from running more useful moves, like t spikes or even knock off.
IIRC it can be used with Whirlpool/Infestation and Toxic to trap something and kill it? Pretty niche though.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's a niche option that can be used as a scouting move vs choice locked Pokemon that normally force Toxapex out such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Choice Specs Tapu Koko, and Choice Specs Tapu Lele. I'm personally not a fan of it because it makes you give up either Haze or Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off, both of which are integral to Toxapex fulfilling its role, but it certainly has its uses.

IIRC it can be used with Whirlpool/Infestation and Toxic to trap something and kill it? Pretty niche though.
This makes no sense since Baneful Bunker just stalls out your own Infestation turns and takes up another moveslot on a Toxapex set that's already sorely lacking on moveslots. Infestation Pex is another set altogether, usually running something like Infestation/Toxic/Recover/Haze

Just been reading through the M.Aerodactyl Analysis, and it has a lot of the mentions of Slowbro. I believe it was unranked, though I guess this could be quick fixed by adding mega in-front, but probably replaced with something more viable atm.

Also not to sure on: "Earthquake could be run over Fire Fang to check offensive threats such as Tapu Koko, Heatran, Magnezone, and Nihilego."As Nihilegos only two ranked sets are Scarf and Hazard Lead, which the latter is very rarely seen, scarf dies to Edge after rocks on switch, and Hazard Lead is comfortably 2hkoed by Ice Fang, though Eq doesnt risk the accuracy, so im iffy on it. It might be better to add Pex or Stakataka over it, as Spdef Pex is 2hkoed by Eq and Aeros other coverage cant touch Staka.

"Ice Fang lets Mega Aerodactyl check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Salamence, which are all very weak to Ice-type moves." I'm really suprised Zygardes not mentioned here, maybe drop Salamence for Ziggy

Lastly maybe add Kartana for a Fire Fang targets, as its now popular.

Luckily Rotom-W is now being used a lot relative to near the end of SM, so its mentions kinda looped back:)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Azumarill should have a Sap Sipper Perish Trap set added to its analysis, it's a pretty good way to remove Ferrothorn and Toxapex and it's also a decent check to Kartana (which runs Smart Strike less and less nowadays) and Tapu Bulu. If it gains more popularity people might expect it and know how to play round it, but right now it's probably Azumarill's most viable set.

Under the moves section of the sg magearna analysis it states "A Shift Gear set trades Trick Room sets' bulk, power, and favorable matchup against faster Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo and Infernape for more reliability in completing a successful sweep." Infernape has been unranked and irrelevant for a while now - should its mention be removed?

Personally I think Rock Polish should be slashed with Stealth Rock on Landorus T's Rockium Z set. If you already have a SR setter, it can be useful to overwhelm frail, offensive teams. I would agree that Stealth Rock is still the better option, but it's certainly noteworthy. At the minimum its worth mentioning in Moves.

Last edited:
Personally I think Rock Polish should be slashed with Stealth Rock on Landorus T's Rockium Z set. If you already have a SR setter, it can be useful to overwhelm frail, offensive teams. I would agree that Stealth Rock is still the better option, but it's certainly noteworthy. At the minimum its worth mentioning in Moves.
dual dance has a whole analysis on its own i believe.

Correct - I dont believe it has enough to differentiate itself from the current SD set to be worth its own set. However, I still thin Rock Polish is worth mentioning - I've had good results with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)