SM Ubers Ubers Stall team looking for suggestions

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hi everybody!

So I just wanted to try out Stall for once because I kept playing Offense and Balance, and I decided to use Giratina because I heard he was very good on Stall. So I crafted a team around him and started playing.
But when everybody forfeits to me, I start wondering if the reason they forfeited was because my team was good and not something else like time constraint. These sort of thoughts (to me at least) get me wondering; is my team good?
So I just decided to ask the people on Smogon.
So here’s the team.

P.S. Since people like songs so much here’s one I like:

The team

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Rest
- Toxic
- Roar
So here’s the star of the team.
What Giratina does is 1) Defog away hazards (not recommended due to the team strategy) 2) Roar Pokemon and Toxic them for slow attrition damage.
Rest allows it to tank hits and status. The only downside of this is it’s passitivity while under Sleep, so that’s why we have:

Blissey @ Shed Shell
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Confide
- Toxic
Blissey’s main role is to Heal Bell and remove Giratina’s Sleep so it can continue Roar and Toxic. However, it also provides additional support for the team such as lowering the opponent’s Special Attack, allowing the Pokemon of this team to survive longer, and also providing Toxic support. However, Toxic can be switched out for another move instead: you will see what I mean when you look at the other members of this team.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
3 Toxic members! That’s a bit too much...
Ho-Oh is set as a Defogger, but he does not have much use besides that. Setting Toxic and being an attacker are it’s only other roles besides, which other members can fulfill...

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Overheat
- Toxic
Groudon is here to provide support for Giratina in the form of checking it’s best checks, Fairy-types, Steel-types and Primal Kyogre, while also setting Stealth Rock to deal damage to Pokemon with Roar, giving this team the strategy it uses. In worse case scenarios, Groudon can also function as an attacker with Precipice Blades and Overheat. It’s only problem is it’s abysmal speed, which allows it to be outsped by all other Pokemon the tier...

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
Ferrothorn is my lead, and sets up Leech Seed and Spikes for my team so Giratina can start Roar and Toxic to slowly kill the opponent via attrition.
Protect is used to bait Primal Groudon sets. If Primal Groudon uses a Fire-type move, it most likely does not have a Rock-type move that OHKOes Ho-Oh, potentially allowing Ho-Oh to do whatever it needs to do. If Groudon uses Precipice Blades, it gurantees a Rock-type move so Switch Giratina in. If it DOES NOT have a Rock-type move but it used Precipice Blades on Ferrothorn, you must be playing against a noob and you have a bright future for the next ten minutes while you slowly kill the opponent :)

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam
Lugia functions as a back-up to Giratina, being able to perform the same role as it with Dragon Tail and Toxic, while still being able to tank Groudon. In some ways, Lugia may actually finish the job faster than Giratina, as Dragon Tail actually does damage. It also backs up Giratina by taking care of Zygarde with Ice Beam, which Giratina has trouble against.

How to use this team:

1) Send out Ferrothorn
2) If the opponent sent out Groudon, switch our for Ho-Oh or Giratina. Protect can be used to predict Groudon set and ensure that Ho-Oh will not die to a Stone Edge. If not, start Spiking and Leech Seeding. This applies to Deoxys too.
3) This is an optional choice: Send in Groudon to Stealth Rock.
4) Once Spikes (and Stealth Rock) are up, send in Giratina/Lugia and start Roar/Dragon Tail and Toxic.
5) Once Giratina is low on health, Rest.
6) Switch in Blissey when that happens and Heal Bell.
7) Repeat Step 4).
8) Victory from passive attrition :)

Replays:
All the people I have battled forfeited halfway.
Edit: this guy didn’t.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-931571848 opposing Rayquaza swept after lowering my ‘mons hp.

Threat list:

Groudon: Fire Punch/Fire Blast/Overheat KOes Ferrothorn, Stone Edge KOes Ho-Oh, Precipice Blades outspeeds Blissey KOes. My Groudon is 2HKOed by Precipice Blades and is outspeed by all other Groudon sets. The only way to get rid of opposing Groudons is to Toxic them with Giratina (which is only 4HKOed by Groudons best option, Precipice Blades) or Lugia (which only seems to be 5HKOed by Stone Edge???) and Stall him out.

Taunt: Stall is always shut down by Taunt.

Defog: The team strategy doesn’t work if opposing hazards are gone.

Ghost- and Fairy-types: Ghost-types are immune to Roar and Fairy-types are immune to Dragon Tail, preventing this team from working.

Preferable changes:
1) Adding a Magic Bounce user so Ho-Oh doesn’t have to die to Stealth Rock. Or replace Ho-Oh with it! (Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye.)
2) Change all the Toxic on Pokemon excluding Giratina and Lugia to another moveslot: far too much Toxic going on.
3) Make the team more Stall-y?

Importable:

Thanks for reading and please give helpful comments! ( ^ω^ )

Here’s a meme:

Last edited:

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey 737373elj, nice try ! But i can see may problem with both the stall itself and your way of playing stall.

concerning stall itself, I i see this :

1) The Pdon have no heal
, which that he is going dead very quickly.
2) You are easily pressured by various stallbreaker. I think notably at Yveltal Stallbreaker and Lunala CM Psyshock.
(Blissey dead on +1 Psyshock, and the only thing that you can versus Yveltal Stallbreaker is trying to burn with sacred fire and eventually heal with Regenerator but if i are sr on field... rip)
3) I feel that this team need to another anti hasards control.

So i made this changes :

Sableye-Mega
instead of Ferrothorn

Tbh i think that Ferrothorn is useless outside Spikes Stacks here, you have already Groudon and Giratina for Kyogre (so the mu is ok) and Blissey for Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy. Sableye can help versus Yveltal Stallbreaker (who usually run Foul Play), versus opposing lead (Deo-S, Smeargle
not excadrill rip),
versus Ultra Necro (no outrage) and vs overall vs Stack hasard team. aslo Sableye takes Marshadow Rock tomb that can bypass Ho-Oh and weaken Groudon.

Groudon ---> Run one rest set.
Yeah rest. although it seem strange, it is the only way to heal Groudon. Groudon stall is niche but perfectly playable. I will go to Rest/SR/Earthquake/Toxic,
it would be your SR setter, Ogre check and other stuff check (lol). For spead, I would choose 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe with careful nature,

this allows to better take CM Ogre, (avoid 2HKO from +1 Ice Beam after sr (take sr in base forme), most of time with "primal sr"

Blissey :
change the speard to EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD with Calm nature.

this new spread allow to not die at +1 Lunala Psyshock and better take Yveltal U-Turn. it's not perfect in the sense that you cannot avoid 2HKO at +1 Psyshock, but i guess that spam soft after toxic with ho-oh/blissey will beat Lunala.

The updated version can see here : https://pokepast.es/7b15d44a770c26dd
I hope you like it.

Okay, now I will give you some advice in play stall.

when I watch the replay,
I notice that you often prefer attacking instead of you heal. so you have click Dragon Tail vs Groudon on Turn 9 while the play was to heal with Roost to preserve the Multiscale. In fact, it is KEY principle of stall, you should absolutely heal your pokemon so that he can continue at check offensive threats of your opponent.
For example, in your replay, after that Lugia have been weaked, who was your Rayquaza main check, Rayquaza was able to entirely sweep your team.
That's why you should heal the most possible. Remember : Stall is very passive playstyle.

i have not said, but defog is very important move to click on stall, especially in your case, when you have Ho-Oh and Lugia two pokémon very weak to SR. Why sr is annoying for stall ? because sr will do chip damage on your pokémons and, take unnecessary damage without heal is bad news for one stall.
finally one last tips : if it's possible, against one offensive threat, switch intro counter instead of (soft) check. For exemple in your replay, for xerneas you have switch Ferrothorn (who take Hidden Power Fire or most important Geomancy intro Focus Blast) while you have Blissey who with his stellar bluk is (one of the best) counter to Xerneas.

finally, I encourage you to read the sections "Usage Tips" of smogon dex, it will allow to have a first idea how the pokemon is played.

Have one good day :)

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)