Tournament Ubers Premier League V - Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Week 5 of UPL V, which is fresh out of witty taglines!

Important Things to Remember

• Good sportsmanship is expected. We have an Unsportsmanlike Conduct infraction for a reason, and we will use it if needed. Semi-aggressive play is fine, but don't go overboard.
  • Use your VM walls to schedule matches. VM activity will be a big factor in deciding activity wins.
  • If you wish to replay a disconnection, you MUST have submitted your team by FORUM PM to Fireburn before your match. If this is unclear, here is the information from the previous SPL thread:
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

Also, to protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer and not be hour-a-move dicks.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Oglemi and Aldaron, who are not playing nor affiliated with any team, will manage this team submission form. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

• YOU MUST SAVE A REPLAY/LOG OF YOUR MATCH OR IT WILL BE CONSIDERED INVALID. These are fun to watch and can be used for statistics and to chronicle new metagame developments over the course of UPL, so you should do it anyway!
  • DO NOT JOHN YOUR MATCHES OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES

DaReal Drizzlers (3) vs Defiant Durians (5)

SM Ubers: EternalSnowman vs M Dragon
SM Ubers: TDK vs Aberforth
SM Ubers: Finchinator vs Californium
ORAS Ubers: Serga vs SparksBlade
ORAS Ubers: Arii Stella vs Reje
BW2 Ubers: Hack vs Kebabe
DPP Ubers: BKC vs slurmz
ADV Ubers: magsyy vs Pohjis
The Burning Red White Kyurems (5) vs Cipher Syndicate (2)

SM Ubers: HunterStorm vs Holy Break
SM Ubers: Thimo vs Real FV13
SM Ubers: DontStealMyPenguin vs ShadowQuinn
ORAS Ubers: Lacus Clyne vs Mysterious M
ORAS Ubers: Lord Outrage vs Steve Angello
BW2 Ubers: Bossness vs PROBLEMS
DPP Ubers: Alex Walls vs benbe
ADV Ubers: Melle2402 vs p2
Grand Helix Fossils
(5) vs Devastating Dragceus (3)

SM Ubers: The Trap God vs Poek
SM Ubers: Hugo Barrington vs March Fires
SM Ubers: Dominatio vs Seirle
ORAS Ubers: LucosDICampos vs Gastrik
ORAS Ubers: Ice Tea vs Thugly Duckling
BW2 Ubers: FLCL vs ZoroDark
DPP Ubers: Pearl vs SoulWind
ADV Ubers: Bomber. vs 0kay

Deadline is May 28th at 11:59 PM EST.

Additional notes:
  • Arceus is banned from DPP Ubers.
  • Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree to play on PO. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS!, you must save a log of the match. In the event of a disagreement, you must play on PS!
  • The logo at the top is courtesy of HotFuzzBall!
  • ALL MATCHUPS ARE BEST OF THREE
Good luck to all!

*MANAGERS, IF THERE IS AN ERROR IN YOUR LINEUPS CONTACT FIREBURN IMMEDIATELY*

Last edited:
Now that the Ubers Premier League is nearing its end... allow me to share with its participants an important tale in the history of competitive Pokémon.

Of the five metagames played in this Ubers Premier League, one of them is BW2 Ubers. As it is neither my first Übers metagame ever, nor my favorite Übers metagame to play, many would assume that it does not have a special place in the history of my Pokémon battling career. But that would simply be incorrect.

My transition from the BW1 era to the BW2 era as an Übers player marked the moment in which I would truly start to think about what it actually meant to possess a truly excellent Pokémon team in any metagame. Despite having built countless BW2 Ubers teams, I had, at one point during that time, dismissed all but one of my teams in that metagame as bad, as my standards of teambuilding increased dramatically upon some reflections I underwent during that time. No longer did I consider teams that relied on Will-O-Wisp to check Arceus-Normal to be acceptable, for example.

The single team I still considered to be good and excellent at the time was Flames of the Heavenly Light 2 [The Burnout Inferno Mix], an updated version of my first Rate My Team ever, my BW1 DW Ubers team, Flames of the Heavenly Light. But that left me dissatisfied, so I embarked on a quest to find more excellent teams for the BW2 Ubers metagame.

The first team I considered was King of Power, a BW1 DW Ubers team made by Sheetanshu, one of my teammates in this current Ubers Premier League. But despite the immense success Sheetanshu achieved with that team on the BW1 DW Ubers ladder... I could never win consistently with it. After that, I considered various SmashPass teams, after witnessing both the amazing success sasha the master achieved with it, as well as the number of people complaining about that playstyle as being "cheap." After all, if people commonly make such complaints about a certain playstyle, then that should be at least somewhat of an indication that that playstyle is good, right? But to my surprise, SmashPass granted me no consistent success either. At that point, I turned my attention towards an old Magic Sun team with Choice Specs Reshiram, which my current Ubers Premier League teammate Alex Walls used with incredible success on the BW1 DW Ubers ladder.

For a team without a single Pokémon resistant to Water, the success I achieved with that team was quite astounding, to say the least. But the point at which I turned that into a truly excellent team was when I replaced Reshiram with Kyurem-W, forming what would later be by far my most famous Übers Rate My Team ever, as well as my second most iconic Rate My Team in general, The Blazing Glaciers - the very Pokémon team of mine to which the name of the Ubers Premier League team I currently manage pays homage.

As such, the Pokémon Kyurem-W was my savior in a dark time of my Pokémon battling career. Every time I clicked an attack with the Choice Specs-donning Boundary Pokémon, a hole was blasted through my opponent's team, and amidst the light of the resulting fiery or icy nuclear explosion, I could visualize the light of victory at the end of the tunnel embodied by the battle I was in. But that's not the only way it has helped me. By collaborating with sasha the master, I created the best SmashPass team ever in the BW2 Ubers metagame, The Shadow Of The Illusionary Inferno. Whenever my Smeargle successfully Baton Passed a Shell Smash boost to my Kyurem-W with that team, the light of victory would once again appear in the horizon before my eyes. And at that point, closing the distance between myself and that glory would only be a matter of destroying the opponent's remaining Pokémon one-by-one with the Dragon/Ice-type Pokémon's devastatingly boosted special attacks.

The innumerable battles sasha the master and I won using this team we built together were also symbolized by our decision to make Kyurem-W the mascot of our new clan when we decided to fuse our old clans, Dragon Rush and Masters together, in order to form Dragon Masters, one of the strongest clans ever in the history of competitive Pokémon. Every time the members of our proud clan gazed upon the burning Boundary Pokémon that loomed upon the banner that sat atop our clan forum, we were reminded of one thing about ourselves as Pokémon trainers: That we will win, we will win, and we will win.

The victories that the White Forme of Kyurem granted me were not limited to BW2 Ubers either. When I moved away from that metagame towards the end of 2013, I, for the first time in my life, entered a tier I continue to battle in even up to this day - Balanced Hackmons. When I first started that metagame in the BW2 era, I built my team by throwing together six random Pokémon, before participating in countless battles with it, making changes to it as I discovered weakness, like I do in every metagame I play, in a process Hack once referred to as "iterating." Eventually, I did successfully create my first and only excellent team for the BW2 Balanced Hackmons metagame - my legendary tenth anniversary Rate My Team - Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland. But as the name of that team would probably suggest, it was once again not without the White Forme of the Boundary Pokémon.

With its Snow Warning Ability granting me an extremely easy method of dealing with the incredibly annoying Sturdy Shedinja, as well as its ability to use a combination of a Hail-enhanced Blizzard and an Extreme Speed to easily anti-lead the metagame-defining Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Deoxys-S with Spore, Kyurem-W once again played a pivotal role in ensuring the success of my team, even in a metagame in which Pokémon are capable of possessing 252 EVs in every stat, as well as almost any move and Ability available in Generation V. The creation of this BW2 Balanced Hackmons team, as well as its immortalization in the form of a Rate My Team thread also marked the completion of From Burning Fire To Freezing Ice, a trilogy of Generation V Rate My Team threads consisting of Flames of the Heavenly Light, The Blazing Glaciers and Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland - a trilogy to which the name of The Burning Red White Kyurems also pays homage.

Even after the completion of that trilogy, the Pokémon Kyurem-W continued to serve me to victory in Pokémon battles, such as in XY Balanced Hackmons in the second Other Metagames Premier League. As a result of everything I have mentioned... the Pokémon Kyurem-W has become a symbol of victory in my eyes. As such, similarly to when I chose this Pokémon as the mascot of the Dragon Masters clan, I made the decision to name my Ubers Premier League team after the official name of this Pokémon. And now... as I look at each and every member of this team... I can once again visualize the very light that heralds the coming of The Burning Red White Kyurems' great victory!

GLORY BE TO OUR IMMINENT VICTORY!

Last edited:
This was a fun tour, despite the result our team produced. I know that we were a capable team and it was fun teaming with you all. Thanks Minority for the opportunity, even if I didn't get to play, and this was a fun learning experience for me, that I wil apply in the future. I am happy to inform that...

The Messenger has been Killed!

hyw

Banned deucer.
[01:35:24] magsy☭: honestly ive been thinking about real life shit these past few days and i came to the conclusion that i want to marry a wicked hot black chick for a few reason.
[01:35:28] magsy☭: ik what u thinkin. black chicks are fucking crazy and most of the time they ugly af but if i find a hot 1 thats actually chill af then im gonna consider it because i rreally want my kid to be half black so he aint to carry around the persona of a white boi

sry to whoever mags opp is but w this sorta forward thinking u aint got no chance up this nigga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)