LC Trubbish

Temperley

Banned deucer.

Quality Control: OP / tahu / Rowan (all in old thread) / Elec. (amcheck) / Xayah
Grammar Prose: frenzyplant / Fireflame479

[OVERVIEW]

Trubbish occupies a niche among entry hazard setters thanks to its ability Sticky Hold combined with its good bulk, defensive typing, and access to Spikes. Sticky Hold allows Trubbish to switch into the very common Knock Off without losing its Berry Juice and works well with Recycle, which lets it capitalize on its bulk and stay healthy while it sets up Spikes. This makes Trubbish a great wall to Fighting-types and the popular Pawniard. Trubbish's high bulk in conjunction with its high Speed enables it to reliably set up Spikes against almost any lead. However, Knock Off still deals extra damage to Trubbish because it is holding an item, giving users of the move a way to exploit its ability. Trubbish also often struggles with spinners, as they can easily remove the Spikes that it sets up, and Staryu and Drilbur in particular can threaten it with their STAB moves. Lastly, Trubbish's Poison typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Diglett.

[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Recycle
move 3: Gunk Shot
move 4: Drain Punch
item: Berry Juice
ability: Sticky Hold
nature: Jolly
evs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 100 Def / 20 SpD / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes allows Trubbish to wear down the opposition, and its good Speed stat combined with its decent bulk allows it to usually set one or two layers easily. Recycle provides a sustainable source of recovery along with Berry Juice. Gunk Shot hits Fairy- and Grass-types, such as Spritzee and Snivy, super effectively. Drain Punch acts as an answer to Steel-, Dark-, and occasionally Rock-types, such as Pawniard and Amaura, and allows Trubbish to further keep itself healthy. Drain Punch also allows Trubbish to act as a Pawniard check when combined with Sticky Hold and its higher Speed.

Set Details
========

Sticky Hold prevents Trubbish's item from being removed by Knock Off in particular. The ability works well with Recycle in letting Trubbish reuse its Berry Juice so that it can stay healthy and lay down Spikes. Maximum Speed EVs allow Trubbish to outspeed and thus check non-Choice Scarf Pawniard. The HP and Defense investment lets Trubbish nearly always take two Knock Offs from Mienfoo and Timburr after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack and Special Defense to increase both by one point.

Usage Tips
========

Trubbish can switch into Fighting- and Fairy-types relatively safely and provoke a switch. Trubbish should always set Spikes when it forces the foe out; this should be its main priority. It should also be switching into Knock Off as often as possible to allow its teammates to hold on to their important items. When you predict the foe to switch and Trubbish has consumed its Berry Juice, Trubbish should use Recycle so it can come back into the battle when necessary after it switches out. Trubbish struggles against teams with Diglett, which can remove Trubbish from play without much possible counterplay. Against Diglett, you should play Trubbish carefully and switch out if you predict it coming in.

Team Options
========

Trubbish is a Spikes setter, so it is necessary to pair it with spinblockers such as Pumpkaboo-XL, which also covers Trubbish's weakness to Ground-types. In return, Trubbish checks Dark-types with Drain Punch. Sweepers such as Shellder and Carvanha are able to take advantage of the chip damage from Trubbish's Spikes. Phazers like Munchlax can force a foe out, making the opposition take additional Spikes damage. Dark-type Pokemon like Houndour appreciate a check to Fighting-types, while Trubbish enjoys the coverage that Dark-types provide against Psychic-types. Pawniard is a great teammate in particular, as it serves as a Defog deterrent, allowing Spikes to stay up for longer. Stealth Rock setters such as Pawniard and Onix can stack entry hazards alongside Trubbish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

On bulkier teams, Trubbish can opt for Toxic Spikes instead of Spikes to let its team stall out foes. Clear Smog is also usable to prevent a foe from setting up on Trubbish and is complemented by Trubbish's high Speed. Rock Blast can be considered as an additional coverage move to deal with the likes of Weak Armor Vullaby and Dwebble, as well as providing a chance to OHKO Abra through Focus Sash. Seed Bomb can be used to hit Staryu, Kabuto, and Drilbur hard, making it harder for them to remove Trubbish's Spikes. In addition, it's Trubbish's best way to hit Onix.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: STAB Earthquake from Pokemon such as Diglett, Onix, and Drilbur easily OHKOes Trubbish. Drain Punch does very little against most of the Ground-type threats in the tier, and while Seed Bomb may be super effective against them, it falls short to Mudbray, which boosts its Defense with Stamina. Drilbur switches in on Trubbish with ease and can set up with Swords Dance after forcing Trubbish out or, more importantly, remove Spikes with Rapid Spin, neutralizing Trubbish entirely without taking much damage in return. Diglett can trap and remove Trubbish, which cannot do much in return.

**Setup Sweepers**: Many setup sweepers such as Croagunk and Vullaby can set up on Trubbish without taking much damage in return.

**Ghost-types**: Trubbish lacks Dark-type coverage and has a hard time hurting the likes of Gastly. Ghost-types such as Gastly and Pumpkaboo-XL can also cripple Trubbish with Will-O-Wisp, making it even more passive and weak.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Without a spinblocker on its team, Trubbish fails to deal with many of the Defoggers and Rapid Spin users in the tier, such as Staryu and Vullaby.

**Psychic-types**: Every relevant Psychic-type has a way of dealing with Trubbish. Abra and Slowpoke are not especially affected by Spikes and do not care about Trubbish's high Speed. Abra can easily OHKO Trubbish, while Slowpoke can cripple it with status. As a result, Trubbish usually fails to even lay Spikes against teams with Psychic-types. Furthermore, Staryu can run Psychic to dent Trubbish and can recover health easily with Recover.

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
not a qc check, someone'll stamp this soon enough

overview, you don't seem to elaborate on why trubbish has a hard time in the meta, and it just seems like filler otherwise, so id remove it
mention that trubbish often struggles against common spinners since they can (obviously) remove any efforts to set spikes but they also threaten trubbish, staryu with psychic and drilbur being ground
mention that its passivity makes it set up bait

moves, give examples of mons trubbish hits with gunk shot
replace ice with steel, its a far more common type in lc, and also give some more examples

set details, though obvious, state why sticky hold is used

usage tips, you should mention something about setting spikes, especially when forcing a switch. i think its more important to set spikes unless trubbish lost its juice and needs to recover hp to take on a threat later on as you say.

team and other options look nice

checks and counters, seed bomb has 100% accuracy, i don't know why you say it lacks accuracy
"Drilbur switches in on Trubbish with ease, and can force it out with Swords Dance and Rapid Spin." drilbur doesnt actually force out trubbish with those moves, i think what you're trying to say is that it can use either rapid spin to remove spikes or set up swords dance when forcing a switch. put more emphasis on the removing spikes point too.
you mention diglett a lot in overview and usage tips and you should definitely mention it here too.
say that ghost types can also burn trubbish with will o wisp, rendering it very weak and passive.
mention that staryu can also carry psychic to deal with trubbish and can recover any damage taken.

good shit

Temperley

Banned deucer.
not a qc check, someone'll stamp this soon enough

overview, you don't seem to elaborate on why trubbish has a hard time in the meta, and it just seems like filler otherwise, so id remove it
mention that trubbish often struggles against common spinners since they can (obviously) remove any efforts to set spikes but they also threaten trubbish, staryu with psychic and drilbur being ground

moves, give examples of mons trubbish hits with gunk shot
replace ice with steel, its a far more common type in lc, and also give some more examples

set details, though obvious, state why sticky hold is used

usage tips, you should mention something about setting spikes, especially when forcing a switch. i think its more important to set spikes unless trubbish lost its juice and needs to recover hp to take on a threat later on as you say.

team and other options look nice

checks and counters, seed bomb has 100% accuracy, i don't know why you say it lacks accuracy
"Drilbur switches in on Trubbish with ease, and can force it out with Swords Dance and Rapid Spin." drilbur doesnt actually force out trubbish with those moves, i think what you're trying to say is that it can use either rapid spin to remove spikes or set up swords dance when forcing a switch. put more emphasis on the removing spikes point too.
you mention diglett a lot in overview and usage tips and you should definitely mention it here too.
say that ghost types can also burn trubbish with will o wisp, rendering it very weak and passive.
mention that staryu can also carry psychic to deal with trubbish and can recover any damage taken.

good shit
Thanks a lot for your comments :)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
good job implementing Elec.'s check, but I'm gonna change a few things:

Since Vullaby and a few niche mons are the only things that set up on Trubbish and actually do anything back. Gunk Shot's high BP means Trubbish isn't really that passive, so remove this please
give examples of mons trubbish hits with gunk shot
Examples are good, but Snover is definitely not the most relevant Grass-type. Replace it with Snivy please

Also do:

[OVERVIEW]
  • In the first sentence, Spikes HAVE to be included. Shellos is arguably a better Sticky Hold user with a good defensive typing and solid bulk. Spikes is what sets Trubbish apart and makes it better than Shellos.
  • In your Recycle line, mention how it synergises with Sticky Hold
  • Your last line needs to be reworked significantly. It doesn't make sense to mention its Speed here, as this is a pro. It should be mentioned along its bulk when you mention it laying Spikes, as Speed is arguably more important to set them. I already told you to remove the part about it being passive. Trubbish is vulnerable to Diglett because of its typing, so change the last line to 'Lastly, Trubbish's Poison typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Diglett.'
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Your first sentence makes it sound like Trubbish is bad at laying Spikes, which it is not. Change it to something along the likes of 'Spikes allows Trubbish to wear down the opposition and its good Speed stat combined with decent bulk allows it to usually set one or two layers easily.' Of course, you then also have to change the wording in the last line to have it make sense.

Set Details
========
  • Your explanation about the EV spread needs to go more in depth. You can start by saying that the HP and Def investment lets Trubbish nearly always take two Knock Offs from Mienfoo or Timburr after Stealth Rock. After that you can say that the rest of its EVs are put into Atk and SpD to increase both by one point.
Team Options
========
  • Mention that Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard and Onix can hazard stack with Trub
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Squirtle is bad. Like really bad. Drilbur and Kabuto are both better examples, and hitting Onix harder than with Drain Punch is notable too. But not Squirtle.
  • Don't mention special Trubbish. There's no real reason to mention it as Trubbish isn't typically staying in on things that can burn it any way and Gunk Shot's power is very important. Plus, it has Seed Bomb if you really want the Grass coverage.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Mention Vullaby in the Setup sweepers section, as it is easily the most threatening one and most likely to set up on Trub. Also, Scraggy isn't setting up on Trubbish with Drain Punch doing a lot and even +1 ZHB not killing Trubbish, so remove it.
  • Remove the mention of Trubbish's passivity in the Entry Hazard Removal section. Defoggers aren't common at all in general and Vullaby not taking much from Trub is because Vull is really bulky, not because Trub is weak. It also doesn't influence Vull's ability to just click Defog on it either way.

Carefully implement all this and then QC 4/4

Temperley

Banned deucer.
good job implementing Elec.'s check, but I'm gonna change a few things:

Since Vullaby and a few niche mons are the only things that set up on Trubbish and actually do anything back. Gunk Shot's high BP means Trubbish isn't really that passive, so remove this please

Examples are good, but Snover is definitely not the most relevant Grass-type. Replace it with Snivy please

Also do:

[OVERVIEW]
  • In the first sentence, Spikes HAVE to be included. Shellos is arguably a better Sticky Hold user with a good defensive typing and solid bulk. Spikes is what sets Trubbish apart and makes it better than Shellos.
  • In your Recycle line, mention how it synergises with Sticky Hold
  • Your last line needs to be reworked significantly. It doesn't make sense to mention its Speed here, as this is a pro. It should be mentioned along its bulk when you mention it laying Spikes, as Speed is arguably more important to set them. I already told you to remove the part about it being passive. Trubbish is vulnerable to Diglett because of its typing, so change the last line to 'Lastly, Trubbish's Poison typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Diglett.'
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Your first sentence makes it sound like Trubbish is bad at laying Spikes, which it is not. Change it to something along the likes of 'Spikes allows Trubbish to wear down the opposition and its good Speed stat combined with decent bulk allows it to usually set one or two layers easily.' Of course, you then also have to change the wording in the last line to have it make sense.

Set Details
========
  • Your explanation about the EV spread needs to go more in depth. You can start by saying that the HP and Def investment lets Trubbish nearly always take two Knock Offs from Mienfoo or Timburr after Stealth Rock. After that you can say that the rest of its EVs are put into Atk and SpD to increase both by one point.
Team Options
========
  • Mention that Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard and Onix can hazard stack with Trub
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Squirtle is bad. Like really bad. Drilbur and Kabuto are both better examples, and hitting Onix harder than with Drain Punch is notable too. But not Squirtle.
  • Don't mention special Trubbish. There's no real reason to mention it as Trubbish isn't typically staying in on things that can burn it any way and Gunk Shot's power is very important. Plus, it has Seed Bomb if you really want the Grass coverage.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Mention Vullaby in the Setup sweepers section, as it is easily the most threatening one and most likely to set up on Trub. Also, Scraggy isn't setting up on Trubbish with Drain Punch doing a lot and even +1 ZHB not killing Trubbish, so remove it.
  • Remove the mention of Trubbish's passivity in the Entry Hazard Removal section. Defoggers aren't common at all in general and Vullaby not taking much from Trub is because Vull is really bulky, not because Trub is weak. It also doesn't influence Vull's ability to just click Defog on it either way.

Carefully implement all this and then QC 4/4
thanks! your note on examples is taken on board :). this is ready for GP now

Xayah

San Bwanna
thanks! your note on examples is taken on board :). this is ready for GP now
By reading the Overview, I see that you now longer mention Trub's Speed at all. I want you to mention it in the line where you say its good bulk lets it set up Spikes. I didn't check if you implemented everything else, but please go through my check again and carefully implement it all, then tag me so I can look it over one more time

Temperley

Banned deucer.
By reading the Overview, I see that you now longer mention Trub's Speed at all. I want you to mention it in the line where you say its good bulk lets it set up Spikes. I didn't check if you implemented everything else, but please go through my check again and carefully implement it all, then tag me so I can look it over one more time
I missed the part where you said that. sorry about that! :x I'm certain that everything else is implemented

Xayah

San Bwanna
I missed the part where you said that. sorry about that! :x I'm certain that everything else is implemented
Okay couple things left:
  • Don't actually mention Shellos, it's not good. It was merely me explaining why Spikes had to be included. Simply remove the Shellos part in the first line.
  • Change the Recycle line in Overview to 'Furthermore, its access to Recycle works well with Sticky Hold to let it continuously use its Berry Juice, allowing it to stay healthy while it lays Spikes and capitalizes on its bulk.' This is just some clarification as to HOW they synergize.
  • Also mention this synergy is Set Details
  • You misunderstood something: Onix is hit harder by Seed Bomb than by Drain Punch. I want you to mention it as another notable target of Seed Bomb, but obviously not in the same line as the Spinners (Staryu, Kabuto, Drilbur).
When you implement this, I want to take one last look before moving to GP just to be sure, but I trust it'll be fine.

Also sorry for taking a while with this, I didn't get an alert from your previous message :d

Temperley

Banned deucer.
Okay couple things left:
  • Don't actually mention Shellos, it's not good. It was merely me explaining why Spikes had to be included. Simply remove the Shellos part in the first line.
  • Change the Recycle line in Overview to 'Furthermore, its access to Recycle works well with Sticky Hold to let it continuously use its Berry Juice, allowing it to stay healthy while it lays Spikes and capitalizes on its bulk.' This is just some clarification as to HOW they synergize.
  • Also mention this synergy is Set Details
  • You misunderstood something: Onix is hit harder by Seed Bomb than by Drain Punch. I want you to mention it as another notable target of Seed Bomb, but obviously not in the same line as the Spinners (Staryu, Kabuto, Drilbur).
When you implement this, I want to take one last look before moving to GP just to be sure, but I trust it'll be fine.

Also sorry for taking a while with this, I didn't get an alert from your previous message :d
ok I got this as well. I appreciate all the help I can get so dw :)

Xayah

San Bwanna
ok I got this as well. I appreciate all the help I can get so dw :)
Last thing, I want you to clarify in the last line of Other Options that hitting Kabuto, Staryu, and Drilbur hard is nice because it means that they then can't remove the Spikes as easily. After that, you may move to GP

Temperley

Banned deucer.
Last thing, I want you to clarify in the last line of Other Options that hitting Kabuto, Staryu, and Drilbur hard is nice because it means that they then can't remove the Spikes as easily. After that, you may move to GP
Got this, thanks for your help and patience

this is now ready for GP

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Trubbish occupies a niche among entry hazard setters (or something similar, to clarify what the niche is) thanks to its ability Sticky Hold combined with its good bulk, defensive typing, and access to Spikes. Sticky Hold allows Trubbish to switch into the very common Knock Off without losing its Berry Juice and works well with Recycle, which lets it capitalize on its bulk and stay healthy while it sets up Spikes. This makes it a great wall to Fighting-types and the popular Pawniard. Its high bulk in conjunction with its high Speed enables it to reliably set up Spikes against almost any lead. Furthermore, its access to Recycle works well with Sticky Hold to let it continuously use its Berry Juice, allowing it to stay healthy while it lays Spikes and capitalizes on its bulk. (combined this with previous sentence about Sticky Hold) However, Knock Off still deals the full amount of extra (optional, as technically it's an increase in power from 65 BP) damage to Trubbish because it is holding an item, (optional, for clarity) giving users of the move a way to exploit its ability. Trubbish also often struggles with spinners, as they can easily remove the Spikes that it sets up, and Staryu and Drilbur in particular (maybe clarify how common these Pokemon are) can threaten it with their STAB moves. Lastly, Trubbish's Poison typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Diglett.

[SET]
move 4: Drain punch Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes allows Trubbish to wear down the opposition, and its good Speed stat combined with decent bulk allows it to usually set one or two layers easily. Recycle provides a sustainable source of recovery along with Berry Juice. Gunk Shot is capable of hitting hits Fairy- and Grass-types, such as Spritzee and Snivy, super effectively. Not only does Drain Punch act as an answer to Steel-, Dark-, and, occasionally, (remove commas) Rock-types, such as Pawniard and Amaura, it allows Trubbish to further keep itself healthy. Drain Punch also allows Trubbish to act as a Pawniard check when combined with Sticky Hold and its higher Speed.

Set Details
========

Sticky Hold prevents Trubbish's item from being removed from using (or "with", "via", etc.) Knock Off in particular. The ability works well with Recycle in letting Trubbish continuously use reuse its Berry Juice so that it can stay healthy and lay down Spikes. Maximum Speed EVs allow Trubbish to use outspeed and thus check (or a different elaboration on why this speed benchmark is significant) non-Choice Scarf Pawniard. HP and Defense investment lets Trubbish nearly always take two Knock Offs from Mienfoo or Timburr after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack and Special Defense to increase both by one point.

Usage Tips
========

Trubbish can switch into Fighting- and Fairy-types relatively safely while provoking and provoke a switch. Trubbish should always set Spikes when it forces the foe is forced out; this should be its main priority. It should also be switching into Knock Off as often as possible to allow its teammates to hold on to their important items, such as Eviolite and Berry Juice. (I don't really think this is necessary. you can keep it if you want though.) When the foe is predicted to switch, you predict the foe to switch and Trubbish has consumed its Berry Juice, (the second part is important for clarity, and mixing active/passive voice sounds strange) Trubbish should use Recycle so it can come back into the battle when necessary after it switches out. Trubbish struggles against teams with Diglett, (or Psychic-types as implied by the checks and counters section?) which can remove Trubbish from play without much possible counter play. counterplay. (how does this translate into how you should use Trubbish? what should Trubbish users do when they see an opposing Diglett?)

Team Options
========

Trubbish is a Spikes setter, (comma) and so it is thus necessary to pair it with spinblockers, such as Pumpkaboo-Super, Pumpkaboo-XL, which also covers Trubbish's weakness to Ground-types. In return, Trubbish checks Dark-types with Drain Punch. Sweepers such as Shellder and Carvanha are able to take advantage of the chip damage from Trubbish's Spikes. Phazers like Munchlax can force a foe the foe's team out, (use "opponent" for the human player and "foe"/"enemy"/etc. for an opposing Pokemon) making them the opposition take additional Spikes damage and wearing the opposition down. (pretty much implied by the previous) Dark-type Pokemon like Houndour appreciate a check to Fighting-types, while Trubbish enjoy the coverage that Dark-types provide. (against Psychic-types?) Pawniard is a great teammate in particular, (or similar, since it fits into the Dark-type category) as it serves as a Defog deterrent, allowing Spikes to stay up for longer. Stealth Rock setters such as Pawniard and Onix can stack entry hazards stack alongside Trubbish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

On slower teams, Trubbish can opt for Toxic Spikes instead of Spikes. (I like how concise this sentence is, but consider elaborating on why it's better on slower teams) Clear Smog is also usable to prevent the a foe (either "a foe" or "foes"/"any foes") from setting up on Trubbish, which and is complemented by Trubbish's high Speed. Rock Blast can be considered as an additional coverage move (is it additional, or does it replace Trubbish's existing coverage in Drain Punch?) to deal with the likes of Weak Armor Vullaby and Dwebble, as well as providing a chance to OHKO Abra through Focus Sash. Seed Bomb can be used to hit Staryu, Kabuto, and Drilbur hard, making it harder for them to remove Trubbish's Spikes. In addition, it's Trubbish's best way to hit Onix.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: STAB Earthquake from Pokemon such as (insert examples here) will easily OHKOes Trubbish. Drain Punch will do does very little against most of the Ground-type threats in the tier, and while Seed Bomb may be super effective against them, it falls short to Mudbray, which can boosts its Defense with Stamina. Drilbur switches in on Trubbish with ease and can set up with Swords Dance after forcing Trubbish out or, more importantly, remove Spikes with Rapid Spin, (period to comma) It can neutralize neutralizing Trubbish entirely without taking much damage in return. Diglett can trap and remove Trubbish, with the latter not being able to which cannot do much in return.

**Setup Sweepers**: Many setup sweepers (not *all* setup sweepers can do this, right?) such as Croagunk and Vullaby can set up on Trubbish without taking much damage in return.

**Ghost-types**: Trubbish lacks Dark-type coverage and has a hard time hurting the likes of Ghastly. Gastly. Ghost-types (examples besides Gastly would be good, unless Gastly is the only viable one) can also cripple Trubbish with Will-O-Wisp, making it even more passive and weak.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Without a spinblocker on its team, Trubbish fails to deal with many of (unless it can't deal with any of them) the Defoggers and Rapid Spin users in the tier, such as Staryu and Vullaby.

**Psychic-types**: Every relevant Psychic-type has a way of dealing with Trubbish. Abra and Slowpoke are not especially affected by Spikes and do not care about Trubbish's high Speed. Abra can easily OHKO Trubbish, while Slowpoke can cripple it with status. As a result, Trubbish usually fails to even lay Spikes against teams with Psychic-types. Furthermore, Staryu can run Psychic to dent Trubbish and can recover health easily with Recover. (optional, for clarity, although it makes the sentence sound a little strange)

Temperley

Banned deucer.
Implemented, frenzyplant. appreciate all the comments as well :)

Regarding the Diglett sentence and the Toxic Spikes sentence in OO, this is what I changed it to; can you check if it's okay?

Against Diglett, you should play Trubbish carefully and double switch out if you predict it coming in.
On bulkier teams, Trubbish can opt for Toxic Spikes instead of Spikes to let Trubbish stall out foes.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Trubbish occupies a niche among entry hazard setters thanks to its ability Sticky Hold combined with its good bulk, defensive typing, and access to Spikes. Sticky Hold allows Trubbish to switch into the very common Knock Off without losing its Berry Juice and works well with Recycle, which lets it capitalize on its bulk and stay healthy while it sets up Spikes. This makes it Trubbish a great wall to Fighting-types and the popular Pawniard. Its Trubbish's high bulk in conjunction with its high Speed enables it to reliably set up Spikes against almost any lead. However, Knock Off still deals extra damage to Trubbish because it is holding an item, giving users of the move a way to exploit its ability. Trubbish also often struggles with spinners, as they can easily remove the Spikes that it sets up, and Staryu and Drilbur in particular can threaten it with their STAB moves. Lastly, Trubbish's Poison typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Diglett.

[SET]
move 4: Drain Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes allows Trubbish to wear down the opposition, and its good Speed stat combined with its decent bulk allows it to usually set one or two layers easily. Recycle provides a sustainable source of recovery along with Berry Juice. Gunk Shot hits Fairy- and Grass-types, such as Spritzee and Snivy, super effectively. Not only does Drain Punch acts as an answer to Steel-, Dark-, and occasionally Rock-types, such as Pawniard and Amaura, it and allows Trubbish to further keep itself healthy (subjective but I personally try to avoid the use of "not only" sentences). Drain Punch also allows Trubbish to act as a Pawniard check when combined with Sticky Hold and its higher Speed.

Set Details
========

Sticky Hold prevents Trubbish's item from being removed using by Knock Off in particular. The ability works well with Recycle in letting Trubbish reuse its Berry Juice so that it can stay healthy and lay down Spikes. Maximum Speed EVs allow Trubbish to outspeed and thus check non-Choice Scarf Pawniard. The HP and Defense investment lets Trubbish nearly always take two Knock Offs from Mienfoo or and Timburr after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack and Special Defense to increase both by one point.

Usage Tips
========

Trubbish can switch into Fighting- and Fairy-types relatively safely and provoke a switch. Trubbish should always set Spikes when it forces the foe out; this should be its main priority. It should also be switching into Knock Off as often as possible to allow its teammates to hold on to their important items.(period) When you predict the foe to switch and Trubbish has consumed its Berry Juice, Trubbish should use Recycle so it can come back into the battle when necessary after it switches out. Trubbish struggles against teams with Diglett, which can remove Trubbish from play without much possible counterplay. Against Diglett, you should play Trubbish carefully and double switch out (the scenario doesn't always have to be a double switch on your part) if you predict it coming in.

Team Options
========

Trubbish is a Spikes setter, so it is necessary to pair it with spinblockers,(RC) such as Pumpkaboo-XL, which also covers Trubbish's weakness to Ground-types. In return, Trubbish checks Dark-types with Drain Punch. Sweepers such as Shellder and Carvanha are able to take advantage of the chip damage from Trubbish's Spikes. Phazers like Munchlax can force a foe out, making the opposition take additional Spikes damage. Dark-type Pokemon like Houndour appreciate a check to Fighting-types, while Trubbish enjoys the coverage that Dark-types provide against Psychic-types. Pawniard is a great teammate in particular, as it serves as a Defog deterrent, allowing Spikes to stay up for longer. Stealth Rock setters such as Pawniard and Onix can stack entry hazards alongside Trubbish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

On bulkier teams, Trubbish can opt for Toxic Spikes instead of Spikes to let Trubbish its team (above QC member post from what I can gather) stall out foes. Clear Smog is also usable to prevent a foe from setting up on Trubbish and is complemented by Trubbish's high Speed. Rock Blast can be considered as an additional coverage move to deal with the likes of Weak Armor Vullaby and Dwebble, as well as providing a chance to OHKO Abra through Focus Sash. Seed Bomb can be used to hit Staryu, Kabuto, and Drilbur hard, making it harder for them to remove Trubbish's Spikes. In addition, it's Trubbish's best way to hit Onix.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: STAB Earthquake from Pokemon such as Diglett, Onix, and Drilbur easily OHKOes Trubbish. Drain Punch does very little against most of the Ground-type threats in the tier, and while Seed Bomb may be super effective against them, it falls short to Mudbray, which boosts its Defense with Stamina. Drilbur switches in on Trubbish with ease and can set up with Swords Dance after forcing Trubbish out or, more importantly, remove Spikes with Rapid Spin, neutralizing Trubbish entirely without taking much damage in return. Diglett can trap and remove Trubbish, which cannot do much in return.

**Setup Sweepers**: Many setup sweepers such as Croagunk and Vullaby can set up on Trubbish without taking much damage in return.

**Ghost-types**: Trubbish lacks Dark-type coverage and has a hard time hurting the likes of Gastly. Ghost-types such as Gastly and Pumpkaboo-Super Pumpkaboo-XL can also cripple Trubbish with Will-O-Wisp, making it even more passive and weak.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Without a spinblocker on its team, Trubbish fails to deal with many of the Defoggers and Rapid Spin users in the tier, such as Staryu and Vullaby.

**Psychic-types**: Every relevant Psychic-type has a way of dealing with Trubbish. Abra and Slowpoke are not especially affected by Spikes and do not care about Trubbish's high Speed. Abra can easily OHKO Trubbish, while Slowpoke can cripple it with status. As a result, Trubbish usually fails to even lay Spikes against teams with Psychic-types. Furthermore, Staryu can run Psychic to dent Trubbish and can recover health easily with Recover.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)