SM OU Triple Z

Thanks cbb the artist
Introduction
CBB told me to rmt this right now and a lot of people have been asking me for this team on discord so i figured I'd just get it outta the way. This team is one of my favorite teams I made for spl and a bunch of other people I gave it too like it a lot. The idea came from when I was paired vs TDK for week 6 of spl where I didn't have too much data on him to prep properly so my goal was to just make something solid overall. My thought process when coming up with ideas were the following: he uses bulky grasses often as his water resist (will usually have 2), uses multiple steel types on a team (to deal w lele easier), and often forgoes hazard removal. Knowing this, I knew bringing lele or offensive water types wouldnt be smart and decided to go with choice band zygarde to pressure his steel types. I don't wanna do an in-depth team building process because I didn't really have one. I kinda just know what roles I need to fill and the mons come automatically. I wanted to use zygarde with zor and zapdos (it's why this is titled triple z) because they cover its weaknesses well and zap just sits in front of the grass types that can switch into thousand arrows. The rest of the team just fulfills the necessary roles (water resist, speed control, rocks, etc). When I build I have this mental checklist that every team needs to have and this team fulfilled most of them. In terms of accomplishments, it's 1-1 in spl :( but its been used in some other tours like the ou circuit and won a bunch in test games. Cbb went like 97-0 vs blunder and I crushed bro fist like once with it. Anyway, onto the team:

An In-depth Look

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Scizor isn't as good as it was back in oras but it still has a shitton of defensive utility which I find very valuable on bulky offense / balance teams. It fulfills the requirement of having some sturdy steel to take on the various threats in the tier. Scizor in particular is a very special mon because it's probably the only hard counter to metagross in this meta that doesn't completely suck. In addition, it can also pivot into threats like pheromosa, garchomp, bulu, lele, magearna, and so on. I'm using a mixed defense spread to take on as many threats as possible which is important for these kinds of teams because it's impossible to have full counters to every thing so the best way to deal with them is the pressure offensively and pivot correctly. As for the moveset, it's pretty standard besides the defog. I tried different moves in that slot like swords dance, knock off, pursuit, toxic, etc and eventually settled on pursuit since I was using defog zapdos initially. Once I changed the zapdos set, defog was a necessary addition to remove rocks for zapdos and ease the pressure spikes puts on this team.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower / Iron Tail

I absolutely love choice band zygarde and find it to be a very potent mon in this meta. Thousand arrows having no immunities means it can dismantle balance / offense teams very easily. It can even pressure stall teams since thousand arrows is a roll on unaware clef and very favorable with rocks up. The cool thing about a mon like zygarde is that even though its pretty slow its bulk makes up for it meaning you can, at minimum, get about 2kos vs offense with it if you play the trades right. CBB is a +speed nature fiend but I was adamant about using adamant (haha) because there were some important rolls and 2hkos it secured like the aforementioned clefable, iron tail on bulu, etc. Jolly is fine I guess too but I just prefer my strong guys dishin out big damage. Moveset is pretty standard. I originally had toxic as last move but sabella kept bringing clefable vs me in tests and I was tired of that mon so I slapped iron tail on. According to cbb, super power is an option too for reasons I'll get into later.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Stun Spore

Amoonguss is an interesting mon and a crucial member of this team just because of how bulky it is and its access to regen. It means you can scout for crazy movesets a lot easier while not worrying about health too much. It's the teams initial switch in to greninja, pheromosa (scouting for the set), electric resist, and so on. I think amoonguss is really nice because when building with zygarde, you want partners that can either pressure the hell out of other bulky grasses or just stop them completely in their tracks. 2 grass types do this: mega venusaur and amoonguss. Mvenu isnt great and I was already using msciz so I decided on amoonguss because it can sit on every grass type in the tier besides mvenu and zen bulu. Even so, it can pivot into those guys nicely. The choice between hp fire and stun spore comes down to preference. I personally prefer stun spore but used hp fire in my spl game. I think stun spore is really nice in some match ups esp vs teams who just dont have a grass type because it means you can cripple at least 2 mons. Spreading para is nice for zygarde anyway.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

As much as I'd like to take credit for this set, cbb was the mastermind behind it. When I was playing test games vs bro fist I noticed 2 things: first, zapdos absolutely shreds offense because mostly everything has a hard time ohkoing it and second, john's main counter play was going to his ground types and pressuring me. I remember one game he kept going to his garchomp on zap and eq'd each time since I couldn't touch it besides going for heat wave burns. 3 atk roost zapdos is incredibly anti meta and actually just beats some teams by itself. It's very interesting because it's often the win con in a lot of games despite not really being an offensive threat nor having set up. I think zapdos is the real star of the team even though the focus is cb zygarde. Also, pressure is used over static because the para chance is overrated I feel and pressure helped bluff defog as seen in my spl game where tdk thought my zap lacked heat wave. Pressure also helps the stall match up immensely which I'll go into detail later.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Scarf keldeo is incredibly important on this team since its the main form of speed control and counter play to set up mons like volcarona, gyarados, porygon z, etc. Keld's typing offers a lot defensively too since I can pivot to it in a pinch vs something like a greninja if amoonguss isn't healthy enough to take it on. Surf over scald because it ohkos pheromosa and fishing for burns isnt as potent this gen anyway. The last move used to be hp electric just to catch random mantine or gyara but it became icy wind to prevent random set up mons from becoming too big of an issue like porygon z.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Heatran actually has sick synergy with the team because z move tran doesnt really have good switch ins so you do stuff like: go zyg then double into tran expecting the grass type and fire off a strong magma. If the switch in is a bulky water then you can bloom doom, if its a fast one then you go amoong, if its garchomp then you can switch into whatever. It's so good. It also plays a necessary defensive role because when you use scizor you're automatically weak to lele (they always have hp fire), so heatran makes lele users think twice about clicking it. Besides that, it sets rocks for the team and is just a really fat guy in general who can take a couple hits and fire back.

Conclusion
The team has been really fun and consistent for me and everyone else that used it. There are some threats like lele, opposing zygarde, and offensive lando which are scary but nothing that you can't outplay. My favorite part about this team is that no match up is an autoloss while using cool anti-meta mons like cb zygarde and zapdos breaking away from the trend of lando fini steel teams everyone's been spamming. Here's a log of cbb explaining how to break stall with the team since there isn't a clearly defined stall breaker:
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 7:50 AM
also make sure u can play vs stall with that team
bc it's defo possible just not very self explanatory
general gameplan is trading zygarde for clef + sableye
and then dug traps u
basically u wnat dug at 1 hp
then you pp stall either chanseys stoss or chanseys sr with zapdos
if you pp stall sr you win with zapdos + amoonguss
if you pp stall stoss you win with heatran
but thats the gist of it
zapdos + amoonguss can switch forever if rocks arent up even if zapdos is toxiced and moonguss is burned + 3 layers of spikes are up
so they wont make any progress
just dont make the error i made and bring heatran out early cuz usually lategame u need enough health to tank at least 1 scald
from pex
and u cant rly sustain sr vs stall anyway
nor is it important for that team
if you can have chansey run even with zapdos defog pp on sr via pressure switch into sr -> defog with zor then u dont have to go to zapdos anymore bc scizor can defog until the end of time(edited)
just in case.
i mean zygarde should win anyway
bc he probs wont realize how bad chansey walls it bar outrage
also @bii i considered sp on that zygarde
just so u can snipe chansey coming in
and then spam arrows
i think it's probs better than itail
just for that
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:03 AM
Okay thats a solid gameplan
I will practice it
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:04 AM
i played that matchup like twice now
won the first time, lost the second one to 1 turn sleep from pex vs heatran
when ti was tran vs 50% pex trapped by magma, stossless chansey, skarm, 4% sableye
so basically a win.
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:05 AM
How do i force out sableye if I keep tran in the back btw?
Ah thats v nice okay
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:05 AM
amoonguss does ok vs it
if it recovers u go to scizor and u-turn
and u can go heatran
just dont waste its health
do not ever let zapdos get knocked though
also keldeo usually forces sab out
bii - Yesterday at 8:05 AM
I never click tail unless I face clef anyway
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:06 AM
Right keldeo
bii - Yesterday at 8:06 AM
And no one but Sab uses clef
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:06 AM
the second zap gets knocked is the second you lose that matchup
Okay that works
just play smartly around it, sabs annoying tho yea
I get that leftovers are crucial in pp stalling
if you can switch zapdos into wisp somehow
without losing leftovers
thats fucking score
i dont think that's losable
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:07 AM
Oh yeah i get that
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:07 AM
i never considered that option
So chansey cant psn u
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:07 AM
but zapdos always ends up catching toxic from chansey anyway
so if you can get it burned thats a direct upgrade
and rly just ends the game bc in the endgame they cant stay in because they're low as fuck on pp
and they cant switch because discharge kills everything
Thats gonna be very hard to do but i can probably manage to do it late game
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:08 AM
sab should be dead by lategame, they usually end up burning amoonguss at some point so u can probs get to it via that
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:08 AM
Hmm yeah thats true okay
but like i said not worth losing ur leftovers over
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:08 AM
Cbb knows about these situations
Because
exactly lol.
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:08 AM
We trained
In the mountains
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:09 AM
Lmao nb
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:09 AM
[REDACTED]
w/e
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:09 AM
We beat stalls with just zapdos
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:09 AM
I have some experience beating stall with zapdos in oras
bii - Yesterday at 8:09 AM
Lmao
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
So I should be good i like grindey matchups
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
yea it's not self explanatory but it's also not hard to figure out
it's actually an interesting game with that team vs stall
welliu - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
@poke67 the jaja smogontour starts today ?
i like it
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
I think so
polar opposite of the usual games vs stall
But im not into it
which have like 0 thought
one way or another
I never play these
welliu - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
k
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:10 AM
Mhm trying to outstall the stall is a nice challenge
yea
like i sai
d
i dont expect to see it
and if we do he wont play optimally anyway cuz theres no way hes as trained in the matchup as we are
but precautions r always nice
Thorn - Yesterday at 8:11 AM
Its fine just to make sure, thanks for the info
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:11 AM
Me and cbb cant lose to stall if we have a zapdos in our team
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
[REDACTED]
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
We made like 3 games with 300 turns
We autopilot it
Starmaster - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
Cbb showed us logs
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
At this point
Starmaster - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
From 1
CrashingBoom - Yesterday at 8:12 AM
yea i showed them us switching back and forth
for 10 turns straight
no progress
[REDACTED]
[REDACTED]
scizor + zapdos
poke67 - Yesterday at 8:13 AM
Lmfao
Scizor + zapdos + regen
Beats stall
With ease
Anyway, thanks for reading and shoutouts to the scooters for being awesome (lets win this spl bros). Hope you guys enjoy using this team as much as I do.

Importable
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Replays
Me vs TDK for SPL Week 6
Thorn vs Goao for SPL Week 7
Blunder vs Jeremiah719 for "the championship"

Last edited:
Pretty good and solid team :o well done!
If I were you I would change just Swords Dance>Defog on Mega Scizor for doing it more threatening and allowing it to take advantage of passive threats such as Ferrothorn, Tangrowth and other big walls. With Swords Dance on Scizor you should run Defog on Zapdos over Heat Wave because you can cover easily steel types with Heatran and you can also use Volt Switch over Discharge to grab momentum. The last change that I would do is to put Zygarde-10% over Zygarde-50% with Jolly Nature over Adamant Nature. Zygarde-10% is a good wallbreaker and with a base speed of 361 you can revengekill and outspeed more threats easily. Anyway good team :)

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Pretty good and solid team :o well done!
If I were you I would change just Swords Dance>Defog on Mega Scizor for doing it more threatening and allowing it to take advantage of passive threats such as Ferrothorn, Tangrowth and other big walls. With Swords Dance on Scizor you should run Defog on Zapdos over Heat Wave because you can cover easily steel types with Heatran and you can also use Volt Switch over Discharge to grab momentum. The last change that I would do is to put Zygarde-10% over Zygarde-50% with Jolly Nature over Adamant Nature. Zygarde-10% is a good wallbreaker and with a base speed of 361 you can revengekill and outspeed more threats easily. Anyway good team :)

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
Theres like 0 reason to use Zydog. He pretty much stated that the much higher bulk allows trades vs Offense and in comparison to regular Zygarde it fails to make positive trades vs Stall since Clef Ohkos w Blast & Dug traps solely cuz of its frailty

Having a hazard cleric that can't touch Ferro would put the team in more unfavorable positions, despite Heatran being there to beat it so not sure about that either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)