Gen 4 Torkoal Team

Hello everyone,

This is a team i've designed around Torkoal. I know Torkoal is better as a support, but I wanted to use him as a Choice Specs, which can be a surprise if you are not prepared. Please rate my team and give me all the advices you consider.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

I decided to use Torterra because I needed a Stealth Rock user in the team, which the sweepers could benefit from. Torterra is an excellent physical tank and holds key resistances to the common rock, ground and electric type moves. It can come in, sponge an attack and use Leech Seed, a great move to recover HP. However, ice-type attacks will usually take him down. Eartquake is a strong move to help Mismagius with Registeel or Steelix. It can cover Blastoise's weakness to electric, as it's immune to it.

Torkoal @ Choice Specs
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
- Flamethrower

As I've said above, Torkoal's most advisable role is support. However it can be a respectable mixed sweeper, with a powerful move like Overheat. Torkoal can also cover Torterra's weakness to Ice (and also Bug and Fire) and benefit from Stealth Rock, making easier to take down Torterra's counters. It can also switch in on Tangrowth or Venusaur, who can counter Torterra. Finally, Torkoal can take down Registeel and Steelix, and switch in on Spiritomb's Will-o-Wisp (all of them are Mismagius' counters).

Mismagius @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Mismagius has immunities to common pokemon in UU (Fighting, Normal, Ground) and high speed. These things allow it to switch in and use Nasty Plot. Thunderbolt is for bulky water-types like Milotic or Slowbro, the most common counters to Torkoal. In order to block Rapid Spin and mantain Torterra's Stealth Rock, Mismagius carries Taunt.

Chansey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 6 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protection
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

I've chosen Chansey because it synergizes well with Torkoal and Torterra, both having a low special defense. Chansey can come in on the bulky water-types and other special attacks, and pass Wish to a teammate. Torkoal and Torterra both lack recovery options, so Chansey is a great partner for them. The Protection and Toxic combo can take down slowly the bulky water-types that counter Torkoal.

Scyther @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 42 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sword Dance
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash

Scyther has a high speed and can hit common defensive pokemon who can counter some of the memebers of the team: Slowbro (Torkoal), Venusaur (Torterra) and Hitmontop (Chansey). Aerial Ace, with the help of Technician, Life Orb and Sword Dance, can take down all the Chansey common counters: Hariyama, Blaziken, Toxicroak and Hitmonlee. Night Slash is for ghost types than can cause problems to the team, specially Blastoise.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 110 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Roar

Stealth Rock can destroy Torkoal and Scyther, so having a Rapid Spinner seems very important for this team. Foresight allows Blastoise to use Rapid Spin against ghost-types. Roar is a helpful move to phaze alongside Torterra's Stealth Rock. Wish support from Chansey provides Blastoise with a long presence in the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)