Tournament TLT: Grand Finals! (WON BY JRSMASH9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion

Banner and approval by sirDonovan
still potentially SM
Welcome to the final week of TLT! Throughout this tournament, players will battle in a best-of-three format each round, with Smogon's standard tiers being the metagames played. This tournament is also double elimination, so if you're defeated once, you're still in the loser's portion of the bracket.
The tiers that will be played are:

SM Ubers
SM OU
SM UU
SM RU
SM NU
SM LC
SM Doubles OU

In order to fairly determine the three of these seven tiers played in each individual matchup, players will take turns eliminating tiers among themselves. They'll both eliminate two tiers, thus leaving three tiers to be played. The lower seeded player will eliminate the first tier, followed by the higher seed player, and it will repeat in that order once more. The higher seed player picks what tier is played first of the three tiers. After that, the loser of game one picks which of the two tiers is played for game two. Naturally, game three will be played in the last remaining tier.

(Example: Eyan is a one seed, while Natalie is a sixteen seed. Natalie, the lower seed, chooses to first eliminate UU. Eyan follows with RU. Natalie then eliminates Doubles OU, and Eyan eliminates LC. Of the three tiers remaining, Eyan, the higher seed, chooses to play NU first. Eyan then loses game one, and chooses to play OU next. Should it go to game three, the game mode would be Ubers.)

Basic tournament rules - you should read this, especially if you're new to forum tournaments

Sportsmanship: Don't be an ass. Not to your opponents, not on PS, not on Smogon, not to me. A bit of friendly banter is ok, but please know where to draw the line. Think before you type, please.

Scheduling and Activity Wins: Contact your opponent as quickly as possible on their Smogon wall, and look out for them on PS. You will have one week from the posting of the week's matches to get it done. Extensions will be for three days after the scheduled deadline, and no further. If your opponent is not responding to your post on their wall, cannot be found on PS, or miss multiple scheduled times, make a detailed activity post in the thread letting me know why you deserve the win. No activity post means no activity call. As long as you have visible attempts at scheduling (such as wall posts), you will be fine.

Disconnections and Timer: A timer loss is a loss. No if's, and's, or but's about it. If your opponent is nice enough to replay that's fine, but they are by no means obligated to.

Ghosting and Identity: Don't take or give battle advice or make moves based solely on the suggestions of others, and don't pretend to be someone else in order to play as them. You will be caught, and you will be disqualified from this tournament as well as future PS! tournaments (BLT, PSPL, etc.).

Substitutions: Substitutions will be made only for rounds one & two, with round two subs only being allowed for any participants in the loser's bracket.

Grand Finals (Set One)
SMB (W) vs Jrsmash9 (L)

Grand Finals (Set Two)
SMB (L) vs Jrsmash9 (L)
As always, the higher seed is on the left side!​

As of Round Four & onward, USUM is legal to be played as the metagame for a set instead of SM if both players agree to it.
Replays are Mandatory!
The deadline for this set is January 28th, 11:59pm (GMT -5)

Last edited:

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
A cursory glance and see that my winners bracket opponent who haxed me thoroughly is playing my losers bracket opponent who haxed me thoroughly.

The salt mines are open. Good luck to you both

GJ Jrsmash9, you perhaps had the most impressive run of any player, as you beat a good player every round after round 2.

Apart from that, perhaps a lot of people feel that TLT in general was kind of a bad tournament, I have voiced my opinions on it before, but I want to say that I really enjoyed it and I want to thank Natalie for hosting this tour. It was perhaps some of the most fun I have had, as I made good friends and had a lot of fun creating content for this. It was the tour I got voice during and also a great spectator experience. Although I didn't get as far as I would have wanted, that Fire Blast against Altaria will probably haunt me for years to come, I did think it was super enjoyable to watch. The idea of testing people's skill on many different tiers is intriguing and allows you to see crazy games. There are some things that could be ironed out, but I do hope that this continues and there is another TLT next year.

I will also be posting 2 videos within the next week, one will be a montage of TLT's greatest moments, that will be made by MJ, and another we myself, MJ and hamx4 do an "awards" of TLT. Look forward to that, and I hope I see all of you during BLT!

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Won in four games against SMB, ggs. Thanks Nat for hosting the tour it was really fun, and I would also like to thank everyone who helped me out through the tour including EternalSnowman who gave me that heat ubers team, and BigBoy038 as both of them were always by my side and were one of the few people who believed in me. I look forward to seeing you guys in BLT 5, also s/o to the timer who brought me home 3 wins ;)

Set 1
Ubers: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-695245709
RU: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-695264753

Set 2
RU: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-695284002
UU: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-695288778

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Well, we're finally done. First of all, congratulations to Jrsmash9 ! Winning is no small feat, and it's great that you were able to win 11 rounds straight from Losers Round 1. This tournament was as entertaining to observe as it was enjoyable to host, and I'm glad everything went as well as it did for an idea randomly hatched overnight.

I definitely want to take this opportunity to thank Tony and Eyan for the helping early on when i had questions, and the rest of tours staff for assisting whenever necessary. I also want to give a huge thanks to sirDonovan as his help with stats & Lady Monita in general is what makes most of this possible.

Lastly, I want to thank all of you who played in TLT :D. I didn't expect to receive as much thanks as I did for hosting throughout this tournament, but it was really thoughtful. Having every single matchup completed in a 64-man double elim tournament wasn't at all expected, but it was really appreciated to see the level of commitment and participation throughout the tournament. We'll see you all in the next BLT!

e: here's the final bracket for those interested: http://challonge.com/cx59txi6

Last edited:
Congratulations to Jrsmash9 for outdoing the odds from being rank C+, to losing Winners Round 1 then winning the whole Tournament itself.

Big thanks to Natalie for hosting the whole competition and in general a great host.

Also shout outs to everyone who participated in this tournament for making this possible and making TLT a great success.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats Jrsmash9! Thanks also to all of the other participants for a good tour. Also thanks to everyone for showing good sportsmanship for the most part and keeping threads mostly civil. Thanks to Nat as well for hosting this tour and doing an amazing job with everything! I’m glad that the first TLT was a success, and can’t wait to see it again next year! Again, thanks to all involved and be sure to visit the tours room on PS to keep up with future fun events like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)