Thread for Movie Buff: Favorite Film?

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is for people who are really into film. Like your so into film you watch indie movies and classics like Citizen Kane or Casablanca. Now what is your favorite film. It doesn't matter if it has received much amount of critical acclaim there some very underrated gems out there like Hudsucker Proxy. If it is hard for you to choose you can pick more than 1. My favorite film is the bicycle thief.
It's a very sad film about a poor man trying to support his family with his job. His job requires a bicycle so when it gets stolen he must find or he loses is job. Now please express yourself and say what your favorite is.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hmm in no particular order, top 5 is something like...

Oldboy
Into the Wild
Rocky
Stand By Me
12 Angry Men

but if we look further into it, I guess I would include

Evil
Chungking Express
Clerks 1 and 2
The Shining

I dunno, I like film of every year and genre, just some of my favs

Fargo
Evil
Pulp Fiction
Hot Fuzz

it's always changing but i think the big lebowski is about to make my list. saw it for the first time 2 days ago and am rewatching it to catch a few things i missed, i think all the thematic elements and the deep thinking it requires to take make it possibly the best film i've ever seen and for fuck sakes its a comedy!

i should say im not as big of a movie buff as stone is =[, although i do watch 1-2 new films a day and then try to write my own analysis on them and see what other people think as well so idk if that makes me a buff as much as it does a nerd... i've seen some pretty obscure films though :o

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here are some of my favorites:

Take Shelter
Big Nothing
Seven Pounds
Coriolanus
The Dark Knight
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
It

I tried to include movies of all genders, and of 'course these are not all my top, just whatever i could remember atm. Btw wasn't there another such thread?

wow, you must be REALLY 'into film' to watch two of the most widely acclaimed films of all time

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
wow, you must be REALLY 'into film' to watch two of the most widely acclaimed films of all time
Yo, this is hella late but I re-watched Manic, beautiful film haha.

Also, I tried not to bandwagon and just name old movies that people consider good. Because even if they are good movies, some of them I just couldn't get into. 8 1/2, being one of the big ones haha. Also Seventh Seal I wasn't that huge of a fan of yet I see people put it in their tops all of the time.

Also glen, I believe the name was Poetry, the asian drama you reccommended to me? I watched it when you first recced it and never got back to you but it's by far one of the best asian films I have ever seen, should prob put it in my top. Beautiful movie really.

i would venture to guess 9/10 kids under the age of 21 have not seen either citizen kane or casablanca. so his target audience is seemingly fine to me, i don't think he really meant it as a serious "you must be extremely well versed in film" and more of just a "if you're someone who really appreciates films please share your favorites"

i dont think being into film means you know everything obscure, some people are "into film" by appreciating the history of it, and some are like me and enjoy finding the meanings behind the messages, no matter how well known the film is or not.

i think you got a little worked up over nothing at all mate

I would never be able to pick even a group of favorite movies, however I felt the need to comment on this:
Take Shelter
Holy fuck, so good. The climax is quite possibly the most intense scene I've ever seen in a movie. I try to show this movie to as many people as I can. Best seen alone in the dark, though.

Yo, this is hella late but I re-watched Manic, beautiful film haha.

Also, I tried not to bandwagon and just name old movies that people consider good. Because even if they are good movies, some of them I just couldn't get into. 8 1/2, being one of the big ones haha. Also Seventh Seal I wasn't that huge of a fan of yet I see people put it in their tops all of the time.

Also glen, I believe the name was Poetry, the asian drama you reccommended to me? I watched it when you first recced it and never got back to you but it's by far one of the best asian films I have ever seen, should prob put it in my top. Beautiful movie really.
i'm glad you liked poetry, it really is a beautiful film. i love how cleverly it sidesteps any bullshit sentimentality that you'd expect from a film with that kind of plot content. i think i'm going to watch it again before i go back to korea in may.

i watched an incredible japanese film the other day called the mourning forest. not so popular on rottentomatoes (especially compared to poetry's 100%) but i really enjoyed it, it's about a nursing home worker who develops a rapport with a senile old man who is drawn to the nearby forest for reasons he can't really explain. really great atmosphere, i'd recommend to you for sure.

i would venture to guess 9/10 kids under the age of 21 have not seen either citizen kane or casablanca. so his target audience is seemingly fine to me, i don't think he really meant it as a serious "you must be extremely well versed in film" and more of just a "if you're someone who really appreciates films please share your favorites"

i dont think being into film means you know everything obscure, some people are "into film" by appreciating the history of it, and some are like me and enjoy finding the meanings behind the messages, no matter how well known the film is or not.

i was more eyerolling than i was getting worked up

it's not about the target audience, it's about the tone. to make a thread basically saying 'post your favourite movie but only if youre a movie buff' is bad enough, but to reference literally the two most famous movies of all time kind of works against whatever exclusivity the title was trying to convey.

forestflamerunner

Ain't no rest for the wicked
In no particular order

12 Angry Men
All Quiet on the western Front
The Usual Suspects
hachi:a dogs tale
Grave of the fireflies
American History X
A clockwork Orange
Dr Strangelove

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey, how about fleshing out your posts instead of pc++ lists

Glory is my all time favorite. It's a very well-done movie, and the gut-wrenching yet uplifting ending still gets me to this day.

The Big Lebowski is my second favorite and favorite comedy. I mean, how do I exTHEY PEED ON MY FUCKING RUG MANplain it? If you haven't seen it, you just don't get it. Best part: anytime Philip Seymour Hoffman is onscreen. STEALS IT.

Rounding out my top are The Green Mile, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Requiem for a Dream, really in no particular order. TGM is a wonderful movie, beautiful story, incredible performances from the entire cast (Michael Clarke Duncan was ROBBED of the Oscar), and Thomas Newman's incredible score. Eternal Sunshine is hands down Michel Gondry's masterpiece. So much fun to watch, the camera tricks keep you guessing with delight the entire time. I love serious Jim Carrey movies. And RfaD... jesus. What a heavy movie, and the ending truly tears your soul out and shits on it. But the fact that I was moved by it so deeply shows how affecting and great it really is.

American Beauty is my favourite film. It just gets better and better everytime I see it. It's influenced me in a lot of ways I think, and it's just a great film to watch if you feel a bit happy or a bit depressed or if you feel anything really and just want to think about things :D

One really underrated comedy is Swingers. I was not expecting much but sitting down with friends one night turned into a really memorable evening, and it's just full of catchphrases, you can nearly quote every line! Kinda like I Love You Man, just a surprisingly good and doesn't take itself too seriously type comedy - and it just makes you smile throughout!

hey, how about fleshing out your posts instead of pc++ lists
I don't think you plebeians could just understand how immensely important Independence Day was to film and culture alike. Well, aside from Rodan, More Cowbell, and cookie as they have exceptionally high tastes.

Also lol at thinking people still care about post counts.

Mack the Knife

Cool I respect all your opinions since everyone is doing top 5's here's mine: Bicycle Thieves, Lawrence of Arabia, The Hustler, Hudsucker Proxy,and Farewell Hudsucker Proxy is about a company hiring a guy to lower their stocks so they can buy them back. Farewell is a cool, French Spy thriller. But yeah Bicycle thieves is so well done and so sad i has to be my favorite. I also love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Primer. You've definitely heard of PTA, but Primer is a movie made with just 7,000 dollars. It's about 2 guys who accidentally make a time machine. P.S. the ending is so confusing.

Mack the Knife

Thanks you understood exactly what I meant.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
28 days later: one of the only "realistic" zombie films. incredible soundtrack. great leading actors.

the whole nine yards: matthew perry is a beast - he's pretty much playing chandler but better because he's constantly dodging gangsters rather than thirtysomething yuppies who aren't trying to kill him.

Some of my favorites are: Requiem For a Dream, Jacob's Ladder, The Wrestler and The Fountain. Darren Aronovsky is my hero...
I'm also a sucker for cheesy horror movies: Evil Dead, Halloween, Pet Semetary, etc. etc.

Meh it'd take too long to go back into all my favorites, but my top 3 from last year:

Wreck it Ralph
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)