Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

I reset Pokemon Sun and wanted to do a speedrun of the game. After getting Festival Plaza in the early stages I traded for a L40 Hoothoot. Never have I witnessed in my 5 years of playing that this Hoothoot disobeyed my commands during my first island trial. I guess they put this mechanic there for any high-levelled Pokemon to prevent cheaters from completing the game, but that really hurts when you're trying to do a speedrun.
Er, this has always been a mechanic in Pokemon. High-level traded Pokemon tend to disobey if you don't have the appropriate badges or stamps. The greater the level difference, the less likely they are to obey.

Here's something that caught me by surprise. The Yveltal found through the Ultra Wormhole knows Oblivion Wing. I wasn't expecting that from it at all, thinking it would have Foul Play instead. Thankfully, its capture rate is unchanged from X/Y, so it's not like the self-healing really gets annoying, but still. Make sure you've got something with a lot of Special Defense (especially an Unnerve Tyrannitar) to take the hits and keep it from getting much in return.

Last edited:
Remember about Raichu's earlier Dex entry mentioning about Indian Elephant and the fandom's "wut" reaction about it? I just found out and didn't think they'd put it again in Sun. (Well, just found it out from Bulbapedia since I played Moon)

At this point I think GF should specifically make Indian Elephant Pokemon for that Dex entry. 4chan version of Pokemon fangame already had one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Remember about Raichu's earlier Dex entry mentioning about Indian Elephant and the fandom's "wut" reaction about it? I just found out and didn't think they'd put it again in Sun. (Well, just found it out from Bulbapedia since I played Moon)

At this point I think GF should specifically make Indian Elephant Pokemon for that Dex entry. 4chan version of Pokemon fangame already had one.
They're just waiting till they make a region based in India. They could make it a Grass-type (resistant to Electric so thus why impressive) but has low Special Defense (in order to make it believable in-game that Raichu can knock it out )

When I played Pokemon Gold when the internet wasn't as accessable, I was shocked when I met a wild Raikou. I wasn't used to see legendaries appearing at random in the wild and I usually save before fighting a legendary to ensure its capture. Not to mention, my strongest Pokemon was a Pidgeot lv39. I thought I was fucked.

Then is just ran away... So my hate for roaming legendaries was born.

I was in Ultra Sun, trying out a Battle Spot Singles team for fun (with Linoone as the focus).

I almost always led with my Dual Screens Klefki (as I said, I wasn't using it too seriously, I was only trying out a few things so I didn't want to use Ninetales) and one time, a Tapu Koko appeared. Everything is quite normal, so I set up Light Screen and Tapu Koko uses Volt Switch.

Such was my gleeful surprise that, if the Eject Button, which my Klefki was carrying, was activated by a Volt Switch or U-Turn, the attacker cannot switch out - only the Pokemon with the Eject Button can.

I like that item - if only it had more practical applications.

(On a similar note, the nasty surprise that the Eject Button does not activate if the attacker has Sheer Force)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)