The Smeargle's Studio Spriting Contest -- Contest #1: A Stellar Beginning

*banner coming soon!*
Approved by Bummer
Original Concept by Reisen Inaba

Welcome, spriters new and old, to the Smeargle's Studio's Spriting Contest. This thread will be run at a rate of one contest per month, give or take, and is open to anyone and everyone who wishes to participate. Don't know how to Sprite? No problem! Simply follow the tutorial detailed in this thread, and you'll be ready to go in no time.

Each contest has a unique theme. This theme may be just about anything; a contest may be inspired by real-world events, media, a specific genre, or even something wacky that I cook up for fun. If you can think of it, we (could) have it.

Contest Operation:

Each contest will be announced by a post in this thread. Each announcement contains the theme and rules of the contest. After the initial announcement, participants will have one week (seven [7] days) to create and submit their entries. After the submission period has ended, a voting period spanning three (3) days will begin. The number of votes allowed per person will be included in each announcement post.

After the voting period ceases, the spriter who has received the most votes will be crowned Spriter of the Week, and their name and submission will be added to the Contest Gallery. Regardless of placing, each participant will earn points based on the number of votes they received in the contest.

Rules:

Each contest follows the following universal set of rules (in addition to its own set of unique rules), unless specified otherwise:

• Every submission must be fit in the standard avatar size (80x80).
  • If a color palette is specified, participants must follow it.
  • All themes must be respected.
  • All content must be original. A participant who enters someone else's work will be disqualified, and prohibited from entering the following two (2) contests. Repeat offenders will be blacklisted, permanently barring them from entry.
  • Have fun.

This concludes the basics, so it is now time to let the contests begin. Good luck to all future participants, and remember to have fun.

Leaderboard:

. - points

Original Leaderboard:

Lucy Heartfillia - 14 points
Reisen Inaba - 14 points
Nightmare Serum - 11 points
OfficialThatGuy - 11 points
Twerkerella - 11 points
Sunfished - 9 points
VuvuzelaBzz - 9 points
S0L1D G0LD - 8 points
sirDonovan - 6 points
SiTuM'parleT'mort - 6 points
Ice-cold Claws - 5 points
Kasumi♥ - 4 points
Exeggutor - 3 points
HeterosexualZekrom - 2 points
shinylyni - 2 points
Jellal Fernandes - 1 point
Obliviate - 1 point
Valiancy - 1 point

Total Leaderboard:

Lucy Heartfillia - 14 points
Reisen Inaba - 14 points
Nightmare Serum - 11 points
OfficialThatGuy - 11 points
Twerkerella - 11 points
Sunfished - 9 points
VuvuzelaBzz - 9 points
S0L1D G0LD - 8 points
sirDonovan - 6 points
SiTuM'parleT'mort - 6 points
Ice-cold Claws - 5 points
Kasumi♥ - 4 points
Exeggutor - 3 points
HeterosexualZekrom - 2 points
shinylyni - 2 points
Jellal Fernandes - 1 point
Obliviate - 1 point
Valiancy - 1 point

Hall of Fame:

A showcase devoted to the best of the best. If a participant wins a contest, their entry is added to the respective, biannual Hall of Fame slate. After every six (6) contests the current slate is brought up to a vote, with the winner receiving a place in the gallery below. The rewards for earning a spot are nonexistent, but the bragging rights are ripe for the picking.​

Last edited:
Contest # 1: A Stellar Beginning

We are now very close to the release of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, so in honor of the new generation we will be looking to the heavens for our first topic: Constellations.

This contest is a custom-Spriting contest. Each contestant will make two sprites: one trainer Sprite and one Pokemon Sprite, both inspired by any one constellation of their choice. The rules for this contest are as follows:

• Each participant will create and submit two sprites, one Trainer Sprite and one Pokemon Sprite.
  • Each Trainer Sprite will fit on an 80x80 transparent canvas, and each Pokemon Sprite will fit onto a 96x96 transparent canvas.
  • Both the trainer and Pokemon must take inspiration from the same constellation.
  • Each participant must give a brief explanation as to why they chose the constellation they did, and an explanation as to why their sprites fit with its design.
  • All submissions must respect the contest's theme.
  • Sprites may be freely edited until the deadline has been reached.
  • No Sun/Moon Pokemon/forms. This is still technically a Gen 6 contest, so please show respect to those who don't wish to be spoiled before release :).
  • You must submit original content.

How to post:

Each participant will submit their two sprites in the following format:

Sprite #1
Description of Sprite#1
Sprite #2
Description of Sprite#2

In this contest's voting phase, each person who chooses to vote may cast one for the Trainer Sprite that they deem the best, and one for the Pokemon Sprite that they deem the best. You may vote even if you do not participate.

To join, simply post "In." Alternatively, you may enter by posting a legal set of sprites. I will add your name to this post once you have expressed interest.

Deadline: 11/24/2016

Participants:

- moawling
- Lucy Heartfilia
- To Kill A Chatot

Last edited:
I'm In!

My submission is based off of the Draco Constellation, specifically Ladon and the myth of Heracles (The Eleventh Labour). Heracles was instructed to steal apples from the Garden of Hesperides.

Sprite #1:

The trainer sprite is one of the Hesperides, also known as the "Daughters of the Night". The Hesperides were nymphs entrusted with guarding the garden's golden apples.

Sprite #2:

Along with the Hesperides, a serpent-like dragon called Ladon guarded the golden apples. Ladon is often depicted coiled around the tree that it guards.

(Side Note: The February Eta Draconids is a meteor shower that appears to radiate near the Draco constellation, which relates to Rayquaza’s consumption of meteoroids.)

I chose the constellation Corvus to take inspiration from. The reason I chose it is kinda stupid actually. The final boss of the main story of Dragon Quest IX had the name Corvus. When I saw a constellation named Corvus, I was gushing like a dumb fanboy. That's the reason I chose it kek.

Trainer Sprite:-

corvus 2.png

When I found out that the Corvus constellation was a raven, I knew that the trainer sprite should have the wings of a raven. So I made the body and clothes of the trainer based on an image of Karasu Tengu I found. And I gave him a dank ass anime hairstyle. He also wields the Tensa Zangetsu, which is fucking lit I'll have you know. He's as badass as a raven with the wings of one as well :]

Pokemon Sprite:-
Krowwe2.png

When I think about crows and ravens, the first thing that comes to mind is that their pretty mean. But the second thing that comes to mind is that they fight a lot. I've seen a lot of fights among crows and ravens. So I thought that the Pokemon I would make would be a fighter. I gave it boxing glove like hands so that it would look more like a fighter. The white and blue head feather things are a reference to magpies. I even came up with a name for this thing. I named it Krowwe kek. I know its stupid but I couldn't come up with a better name.

[Note: I edited the Pokemon sprite once. Just letting ya know.]

Attachments

Last edited:
Final Day Alert

To all the spriters who have finished their works, well done. But to anyone looking to make a late entry, you have few hours remaining to do so.

Tagging the participants who have entered but do not yet have a submission posted:

Lucy Heartfillia

You have until the 24th to post your entry. If you are no longer participating, that is fine as well.

Voting Period

We have reached the entry deadline, so it is now time to vote. For the next three (3) days, anyone on Smogon may vote for their favorite Sprite(s). The rules for the Voting Period are as follow:

• You must vote for two (2) sprites. If you vote for the same participant twice, they receive two (2) points.
  • The participants may vote.
  • Give a brief reason for why you voted for the sprites you did.
  • Once cast, your vote may not be changed. Make sure your post is in order before posting.

Deadline: 11/27/16

Please compose your vote in the format below:

Vote #1 (with Sprite)
Why I voted for this Sprite

Vote #2 (with Sprite)
Why I voted for this Sprite

You may choose from these sprites:

Sprites:

moawling:

Sprite #1

Sprite #2

To Kill A Chatot:

Sprite #1

Sprite #2

Ineligible Participants:

Lucy Heartfilia (Withdrawn)

I'm hesitant to call this without any votes being cast, but if none are within the next week, we will be moving on to the next contest.

To anyone who wants to vote: now is your chance.

Since its apparent no one will step up to the voting here, I guess I might as well as cast a couple. even though its quite clear who won this

Vote 1:

I've been in love with this sprite since I first seen it. Its color palette is very well done and flows together extremely well. I also like the Golden Apple added in as a nice little touch.

Vote 2:

I like the clever design choice used when comparing a constellation to Rayquaza. This one is well done but the only thing I dislike about this sprite is how Rayquaza doesn't really match the tree at all in style. However, it is still pleasing to the eyes overall so props to you Moawling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)