The Pokemon Stadium thread

Because I didn't already see one

Technically the second stadium game, Pokemon Stadium is one of the most remembered titles on the N64. Packaged with the Transfer Pak, this game allowed one to see their Gameboy Pokemon on the TV like never before! For those that wanted a break from battling, it also included some dope-ass minigames.

Did you get this game back when it first came out? How was it to see your Pokemon in 3D? Did the RNG piss you off?
Did you like this or Stadium 2 better?

General Stadium discussion and nostalgia thread

Oh my days, Pokémon Stadium. Such an awesome game, and definitely one of my all time favorites along with Pokémon Yellow, Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Emerald. This game was basically everything I wished for when I played my first Pokémon game: Monsters battling in 3D. I still remember the hype as if it were yesterday.. When I first got the I didn't even know what the Transfer Pak was for. When I found out I was able to see the Pokemon from my Gameboy on the TV, I literally flipped out. All those Pokemon I cared for, in 3D, on a television screen. I still get shivers down my spine when I think about it. When it comes down to minigames, I honestly don't remember too much. I didn't really like them, hence I never played them. A friend of mine always wanted to play them though, so we had a lot of fights over that. And of course, RNG pissed the heck out of me (and it still does, daily). I'm pretty sure there's nobody who isn't a victim of RNG. That's literally the only downside of Pokémon for me.

Stadium > Stadium 2 all day.

Oh my gosh... this is what got me into Pokemon! I had been at my cousin's house, I was around 7, and they let us play Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 with them. I wasn't all that good... I usually chose a team if I remember of Vaporeon/something cute/something awesome/cute/cute/awesome looking. But I loved the minigames, it was my favorite thing. (GO MAGIKARP! JUMP! JUMP AND LET ME WINNNNN!) After I was home again, I made my dad get it to work on the PC. It was then I tried the tournament, and I got to whoever had the flying types? Or someone was weak to flying types. All I remember was choosing random Flying types, but I never did win. :P

Stadium < Stadium 2. I like the variety of Pokemon in the second, oh and also better minigames. But if we get technical... Stadium 2 < Stadium 3? Because of weird things about our American Stadium 1 because Japanese Stadium 2 annnd... confusing.
The models actually hold up decently...

I never had an N64, nor knew many kids who did (it was all Playstations - I think the N64 did pretty poorly in Europe in comparison to other regions) so never played this (nor Pokemon Snap which gets people similarly misty-eyed with nostalgia) despite logging several hundred hours in Pokemon Red back in the day.

Given that fairly significant disclaimer, I'm not sure this game would be enjoyable in 2015 for any reason other than nostalgia - at least the actual battling portion because you can do all of it in the main-series Pokemon games, and the novelty of animated, 3D models is no longer exclusive to Stadium. The minigames look kind of fun from what I've seen though, in fact there's enough there to make one wish for a Pokemon-themed Mario Party knock-off (come on Nintendo, if Animal Crossing can have one...)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Awwww, I used to love playing that at my friend's home back in those days.
She had this ancient Stadium 0 that only had around 30 Pokemon in it, but it was still fun.

Back then, I thought the 3D models looked very realistic, and imagined Pokemon in real life/ Pokemon in Hollywood movies, ever since.

Oh Pokémon Stadium, my very second Pokémon game*. In fact, it was the only way I could battle Pokémon when I was little as I didn't even own a Game Boy (I still wish I had told my mom about the GB Tower as that would have changed my past a lot), so I played the hell out of it. I didn't know what I was doing half of the time. The closest I ever got to knowing what I was doing was when a rented copy taught me the best strategy to win in Generation I: send in Mewtwo and spam Psychic.
I have further affection for Stadium due to what happened after I got back into Pokémon. I had bought Red, Blue, and Yellow and was having a fun time with those games, but I wanted to do more: I wanted to beat both Prime Cup and Gym Leader Castle. While I got decently far with just rental Pokémon** around that time (I unlocked Blaine and beat the first three levels of Prime), I couldn't get any further. I knew I needed help. So for the first time ever, I consulted this very site***. If not for Stadium, I might never have gotten into competitive play.

While I have most nostalgia for Stadium than Stadium 2, Stadium 2 is the better game. More mini-games, Little Cup, Challenge Cup, the enlarged Gym Leader Castle, and the Pokémon Academy just made it better. I do have some fond memories of renting it after it came out. I remember looking at the Academy's Dex and seeing Scizor for the first time. My immediate reaction to that shiny red bug was, "Wow, they made Scyther even cooler!" which is still how I feel****. I really wish I owned this one.

*My first was also an N64 title, Pokémon Puzzle League, i.e. the only Pokémon game my older sister would play with me.
**Mostly was sending in Electrode, trying to knock out the first one, then Exploding on the second, then sending in Voltorb to Explode on the third. The strategy was surprisingly sound.
***You can actually see my earliest posts in my signature. Also, the team (Mewtwo / Lapras / Jolteon / Golem / Tauros / Starmie) did the job, with most of the work being Mewtwo with the others as backup.
**** When I saw Mega Scizor, my immediate reaction was, "Wow, they made Scizor even cooler!"

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Woa it amazing. Can you show me how to play this game
I'm afraid we can't post any emulator links here, since piracy is against the site rules. You might be able to find a legit copy out there, and a working N64, but it's a slim chance as the console is approaching 20 years of age now.

Welcome to Smogon, by the way!

For some reason I loved to play against the computer by letting them use my Pokemon and make fake gym battles or something. My friends and I didn't do any battles for some fucking reason...at least not as often because we played most at the time Smash Bros and stuff at the time.
Good times.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
This game gave birth to a new saying in my household:

"What's the point in Splash anyway?" -comment on something useless

I loved that line. And all the other stuff the announcer said!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I remember hearing "Fireworks are flying in this heated match!" or something like that. Now, being a kid, age 8, who had only had extremely basic English in school, I interpreted that sentence to mean something like "fireworks = lots of bang", and "flying = Flying Pokémon/moves", thus "Flying moves will be the best type of moves to use right now!", and merrily sent Pidgeot no matter the situation.

Fun times.

This was actually the first game I ever owned (technically not the first I played, as that honor goes to a pokemon snap demo at a blockbuster). I got red version after the fact so that I could have some slightly better pokemon than the rentals....but I ended up just having a level 80 something blastoise and a bunch of other low level pokemon. Still, I miraculously managed to get through the game (I think I had a guide book to help) but never got past round 2. Some days I wish I could try again, as I think I'm (probably) smart enough to beat round two now...but I don't have my n64 anymore.
Point being is that this game was a huge part of my childhood. I would love to see a proper stadium 3 at some point (battle revolution doesn't count as this).

For Pokemon Stadium, I had used the following teams for each of the cups with the help of the Pokemon Red Advanced Battling FAQ
Starmie
Tauros
Zapdos
Alakazam
Golem
Exeggutor

Abra
Omanyte
Growlithe
Sandshrew
Magnemite
Dratini

Starmie
Arcanine
Lapras
Alakazam
Dugtrio
Chansey

It was hard to lose with those teams. Now this is what I have in mind for the cups in Pokemon Stadium 2.
Starmie
Heracross
Zapdos
Tyranitar
Marowak
Exeggutor

Now for Little Cup, all I have thus far is Abra, Houndour, and Cubone. I'm not quite sure what the other three are going to be.

I created this thread with the title being a question because I want to see what other Stadium 2 players think. I want to know if there are any changes I should possibly make to the Stadium 2 teams.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I created this thread with the title being a question because I want to see what other Stadium 2 players think. I want to know if there are any changes I should possibly make to the Stadium 2 teams.
Merged your thread with the existing Pokémon Stadium thread. The games are similar enough that we don't need two threads.

For Pokemon Stadium, I had used the following teams for each of the cups with the help of the Pokemon Red Advanced Battling FAQ
Starmie
Tauros
Zapdos
Alakazam
Golem
Exeggutor

Abra
Omanyte
Growlithe
Sandshrew
Magnemite
Dratini

Starmie
Arcanine
Lapras
Alakazam
Dugtrio
Chansey

It was hard to lose with those teams. Now this is what I have in mind for the cups in Pokemon Stadium 2.
Starmie
Heracross
Zapdos
Tyranitar
Marowak
Exeggutor

Now for Little Cup, all I have thus far is Abra, Houndour, and Cubone. I'm not quite sure what the other three are going to be.

In Prime Cup/Gym Leader Castle, you are allowed to use any of the 251 Pokémon in the game, including Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi. Also, there is always CurseLax, who is one of the most devastating Pokémon in Generation II, especially if your opponent fails to have a Ghost, Rock, or Steel-type with them.
For Little Cup, you can also go with Gastly. It has great speed and Sp. Atk. along side good special attacks in the elemental punches (just like Abra). Staryu has every thing that makes Starmie great in the higher tiers.
Also, don't forget that Pokémon like Scyther, Onix, and Porygon are legal in Little Cup.

Gastly can't learn elemental punches.
Really?
*looks up*
Oh...see, I knew they were Egg Moves but the Pokémon it gets it from wasn't around in Generation II (Dusclops). I was just assuming it got them at the same time Abra did. Also, unlike how it can learn them from Move Tutors in Generation IV, V, and VI, it can't learn them from the TMs in Generation II.

By the way, should I replace Tyranitar with Houndoom or keep him in?

I've also taken into consideration replacing Heracross with Machamp.

I never had an N64, nor knew many kids who did (it was all Playstations - I think the N64 did pretty poorly in Europe in comparison to other regions) so never played this (nor Pokemon Snap which gets people similarly misty-eyed with nostalgia) despite logging several hundred hours in Pokemon Red back in the day.

Given that fairly significant disclaimer, I'm not sure this game would be enjoyable in 2015 for any reason other than nostalgia - at least the actual battling portion because you can do all of it in the main-series Pokemon games, and the novelty of animated, 3D models is no longer exclusive to Stadium. The minigames look kind of fun from what I've seen though, in fact there's enough there to make one wish for a Pokemon-themed Mario Party knock-off (come on Nintendo, if Animal Crossing can have one...)
I actually grew up with an N64, and I actually had Pokémon Stadium 2. I play it often, believe it or not. It had a really solid system, a lot like an older Pokémon Showdown. I really truly think its great. Going back to a simpler time is great. the 3-D models might have lost novelty, but they still look great, better than a select few of the models we have now. The minigames you have right though, in both incarnations. I actually agree with a Pokémon Mario Party but Nintendo probably doesn't watch Smogon posts on Pokémon Stadium

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I wanna ask if anybody has a great team for Pokémon Stadium 1 or 2?
This is just a simple question I was interested in.
Merged your thread with the existing Pokémon Stadium thread. This is the second time I've had to do this in less than three weeks (though it was some other guy the last time). You should know this thread existed too, seeing as you made the latest post in it.

Everyone, please post Pokémon Stadium-related things here, rather than starting new threads about the exact same subject.

By the way, should I replace Tyranitar with Houndoom or keep him in?

I've also taken into consideration replacing Heracross with Machamp.
Through experience, Machamp is better, simply because of fire punch and thunder punch.
Tyranitar is also a good pokemon, better than Houndoom in my opinion

Seeing as though Werster has been able to beat Stadium 1 in 20 hours with rentals, how fast do you believe it can be beaten with trained Pokemon?

From experience, a perfect battle with three outspeed-OHKOs takes just under 2 minutes from the start of one battle to the start of the next.

Pika Cup - 8 battles, and the opponent doesn't take advantage of the min-maxing possible with level spreads (or very much in the way of low-level EV training) to the same extent you can, so a fully perfect cup is quite possible here, and a time of about 16 minutes including the award ceremony at the end
Petit Cup - 8 battles, still offering a min-maxable level spread but it's not quite as noticeable here (the difference is only 20% tops, as opposed to the 33% in Pika, but since level manifests itself on a quadratic scale, the differences are effectively 44% and 78% respectively), nor is there as much in the way of high-BST mons available to use. You can still sweep most of the cup fairly handily, not quite as easy to reach total perfection in this cup but certainly a performance in the 16-18 minute range is expected.
Poke Cup - 32 battles, and the level differential by this point has shrunken to almost nothing. If you want to assume TAS luck, then the answer is trivially "spam Fissure and Horn Drill on everything" and the run isn't very interesting at all; otherwise this is where opponents start to get bulky enough, particularly in the upper quadrant, that sweeping everyone with straight OHKOs isn't an option, so you'll need a bit of setup and/or switching for matchups. Just as a guess, I'd put up 18/20/24/28 minutes as par scores on the four quadrants; that'd make 90 minutes for the whole cup which sounds spot-on.
Prime Cup - 32 battles, probably a bit easier than Poke Cup since you get to use Amnesia Mewtwo to just blow everything away, which you couldn't before. Setting up the Amnesia in every battle takes a bit of time, but it should generally be an improvement over anything you could do with a L55 sweeper, so 80-85 minutes for the cup as a whole sounds right.
Gym Leader Castle - 37 battles, shaping up to be a lot like Prime Cup in that Mewtwo is still eligible. The opponents do spend considerably less time with "Poke Ball-level" teams, and there are more intermissions where you have to reselect a team, so this should take longer on average, but not too much so. Let's call it 95 minutes, maybe 96 factoring in the cutscene at the end where you get a Pokemon Present.
Vs. Mewtwo - 1 battle, really easy. Bring Snorlax and Selfdestruct on turn 1; if it survives that go to Electrode and Explode on turn 2 before Mewtwo can ever move again; that's a guaranteed 2HKO and then you have a Magikarp in the back just so that you win instead of lose on a double KO. Easy 1:30 plus however long the credits take.

Adding in some wiggle room for when things go wrong like an unlucky freeze, that still puts all of round 1 between 5-5½ hours. Round 2 is pretty much the same but the opponents are a bit more competent and bulkier. The lower level cups aren't impacted as much, and the same 2-turn plan vs. Mewtwo is still guaranteed to work, but Poke and Prime take considerably more effort to break through (particularly Poke, where again you don't have Mewtwo to help, but the team developers learned their lesson and shuffled the trainers around so that position 8 is no longer "Old Man with a balanced team", but rather "JUST SPAM PSYCHICS"). That could push the totality of R2 up around 6 hours, but the whole game should be able to stay under 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)