Walrus The KnightsofSonata I Just Can't Get Enough Cross-server Walrus [Walrein Wins]

Noticed an important detail on submissions was missing from OP. You can change your subs at your discretion any time before the day of their respective reveals. The hard cutoff is when I upload the updated scoresheet to Imgur. This information will be included in the OP of my next walrus.

24th Place
Submitted by Robert Alfons
Score: 6.8

The Ascension by Glenn Branca

I judged this one after judging another Glenn Branca song that we will hear later in the ranking. What really struck me in comparing and contrasting the two pieces is that this one has less progression to it. The guitars are pretty static in the first half, with the occasional drum riff driving progression, until it opens up around the six minute mark. Then I ended up zoning out for about five minutes, because after about two minutes of new and exciting the guitars were static on a new plateau.

21st Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 7.8

The Spectacular Commodity by Glenn Branca

A twelve and a half minute song. My heart sank. Twelve and a half minutes of… kinda neat guitars. Discordant, but neat. And then about four minutes in, it tightens up into something that feels more neat than discordant. There are some parts where you feel like you can’t take much more of that particular phrase, but it usually moves on at just the right time and progressively gets more enjoyable. This won’t be taking home any trophies, but I think the song has kindled my interest in finding out if I like the works of Glenn Branca.

18th Place
Submitted by vonFiedler
Score: 8.1

Strangelove by Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode is best known for their synths and lyrics, to the point where you might be surprised to know they also play guitars. The song has so many elements that the bass doesn’t have much room to shine here, but on the whole it’s very enjoyable.

16th Place
Submitted by Morgan
Score: 8.3

Trip by Mike Stern

This has a great ambience to it. But my brain keeps wanting to nitpick how the sax tries to steal the focus of the song away from the guitar. I’m hung up on guitar vs. sax here and probably robbing this because of it.

So we’ve got another first for the walrus: a non-duplicate tie. I’m using standard ranking instead of dense because it’s two songs that got the same score for different reasons, instead of one song sent by multiple contestants.

Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn
Score: 8.7

Wake Up Dead (original Version) by Megadeth

Finger flying solos a-go-go. Those technical licks are brief, but very satisfying. I feel like this could possibly blow my face off if it was padded out with more lyrics and longer solos.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Earlio
Score: 8.7

Let’s Go by Stuck In The Sound

First things first, I’d like to point out that there’s a fantastic video that accompanies this song and y’all should watch it sometime. This song is pretty good, but the guitars sound best when they’re making the break or echoing the vocals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)