The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Niners choose to replace a model of consistency and hard work they had in Gore with...Reggie Bush and Carlos Hyde in some combination? /sigh

I mean Reggie Bush has cracked 1k yards like...twice? Gore did it every year except one where he was injured, but on track to anyways. And Gore is barely older, though both are now 30+. Still, ugh.

Last edited:
If I'm the Niners I let Hyde try to run away with the starting job, then use Bush as a 3rd down back. Help him preserve his health too. Still... Niners staring in the face of last place in the NFCW.

That one works better.
You're a Jaguars fan right? Both the Jags and the Raiders have been the NFL's dumpster for years; I don't know what gives you the superiority to talk shit on my team. Both teams finally look they're headed in the right direction but if you need to sate your ego by bagging on one of the most loyal fanbases around you should look in the mirror and realize that the Jags have sucked dick forever instead of just the past decade...

You're a Jaguars fan right? Both the Jags and the Raiders have been the NFL's dumpster for years; I don't know what gives you the superiority to talk shit on my team. Both teams finally look they're headed in the right direction but if you need to sate your ego by bagging on one of the most loyal fanbases around you should look in the mirror and realize that the Jags have sucked dick forever instead of just the past decade...
Hey, it's ok friend. The Raiders might finally make the playoffs again in another decade or so! Keep your head up and stay strong.

Hey, it's ok friend. The Raiders might finally make the playoffs again in another decade or so! Keep your head up and stay strong.
I'm not worried! Football is awesome and I love my team but it's not like it rules my life. I'm just hoping for a good chance to rub it in with my 49ers family as that franchise circles the drain!

I'm not worried! Football is awesome and I love my team but it's not like it rules my life. I'm just hoping for a good chance to rub it in with my 49ers family as that franchise circles the drain!
You already won the Battle of the Bay last year, isn't that good enough? :(

Amg, Tebow Time is back???

I dunno, that can't be too horrid of a fit, Tebow runs well, Kelly's offense uses mobile QBs, all he needs to do is hit his play action passes or hand it off to Murray. Whereas Bradford is an injury-prone statue. I know Tebow takes a lot of shit, but when you have God on your side, you win games apparently.

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
for years. Jags were 8-5 with a chance to win the division in 2010 in indy. okay well the raiders were 8-8 that season as well (although the jags beat them). Well the raiders last winning season was 2002, whereas the jags were 2007. There is no argument here so i'll give you that. sucked dick forever? up until 2008 the jags were 103-94. Amazing no, but not the NFLs dumpster thats for sure. Talking about me sating my ego? jesus you need to look in a mirror yourself before you claim that the jags suck dick where you are a raiders fan. If someone wants to give me shit for talking shit as a jags fan, it shouldn't be a raiders fan. Actually on that note your fanbase is way better than ours. Thats about it. The raiders are looking a bit up, i'll give you that, but bitterness isn't an excuse to accuse someone else of being hypocritical by being hypocritical yourself.

Man i'm loving this offseason. The 49ers are finally going to return to where they belong. Also, it's probably time to bury the 2011 Saints. The scariest team I've ever seen. Ever since 2011 the Saints have scared the hell out of me but this offseason made it clear they are officially dead. RIP 2011 Saints. I loved ya as much as I feared ya.

I was thinking how integral injuries are to this game. What's going to happen when medicine advances to the level where any injury can be cured in between games? That's going to be boring as hell seeing the same players on the field breaking every record imaginable. But what hurts most is the loss of another level of unpredictability to the game. They're bad of course, but injuries makes the games much more interesting and makes the league overall more fun. Your team may look good but it's a couple of bad pivots and plants away from being a lost season. Injuries sometimes makes the actual games a lot more exciting(sb 49 would have been a snooze fest if the LoB were healthy). I for one think that as medicine gets better there should be rules placed as to what procedures players can get to make sure they miss games. It sucks for the players sure, but at least they'll have a job. Without the unpredictability the game could crash and burn. We're nowhere near that obviously but its something to think about.

Bad luck Niners
Good that the kid is realizing the long term consequences of playing, and is making the informed decision, valuing health over money. Not saying every player should do that, but good to see players who feel the cons outweigh pros make the right decision instead of just staying for the $$$

Good that the kid is realizing the long term consequences of playing, and is making the informed decision, valuing health over money. Not saying every player should do that, but good to see players who feel the cons outweigh pros make the right decision instead of just staying for the $$$
Agreeing, but it still sucks so much to see Boland run off, now we have what, Bowman (who knows how he's looking after that nasty injury) and...like no one? Funny how quickly such a deep position on the Niners defense just went to shit in the span of a few weeks.

xJownage

I agree with this, however it feels a little elitist and like you are making the decision for them. I love football, and nothing replaces the rush of playing when it gets intense, however this is amplified by many multiples for players. Brett Farve certainly wasn't choosing money over health by playing, he was choosing his passion over his health, which is undeniable and a completely different situation. The stats for football are appalling, but we don't have the right to make the decision for the players. This was also brought up in a ncaa should pay their players rant: some guys families back home have nothing. Some players may feel okay risking their health for the pride and security it can bring to their families.

I will tell you what: If I was a professional football player, I would choose passion over health in many cases. Some guys don't have as much fire as others, but its unfair to tell everybody that they should value their health over either their passion or the money.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
some hero said:
I was thinking how integral injuries are to this game. What's going to happen when medicine advances to the level where any injury can be cured in between games? That's going to be boring as hell seeing the same players on the field breaking every record imaginable. But what hurts most is the loss of another level of unpredictability to the game. They're bad of course, but injuries makes the games much more interesting and makes the league overall more fun. Your team may look good but it's a couple of bad pivots and plants away from being a lost season. Injuries sometimes makes the actual games a lot more exciting(sb 49 would have been a snooze fest if the LoB were healthy). I for one think that as medicine gets better there should be rules placed as to what procedures players can get to make sure they miss games. It sucks for the players sure, but at least they'll have a job. Without the unpredictability the game could crash and burn. We're nowhere near that obviously but its something to think about.
Jesus Christ what the actual fuck

On an unrelated note, master troll Chip Kelly brings in Tebow for a workout on 3/16.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It depends why you're playing the game. Someone like me, or say the aforementioned Brett Favre, who just wants to go out and beat people in a competition, are gonna wanna play as long as possible. But it's a perfectly reasonable, human thing to go "hey man I can play this game for a couple years and bank a few million" and then just walk away and go do whatever other things you truly love. It doesn't even have to be about the risk of long-term injury. Just because you're good at playing football doesn't mean it's your greatest passion in life. Most people don't have jobs that perfectly align with their personal interests, they do it to make money so they can continue to function in modern society. Getting a job that you can do for 1-3 years and become part of the 1% (or, well, maybe 2 or 3% I dunno the numbers okay) is a pretty damn good deal in my book, most people have to work 20+ years and never even reach millionaire status.

Anyway, lolniners. And holy hell Reggie Bush is 30 already? Feels so long ago...

next-day edit: Apparently Borland "only" made $500k off the first year of his rookie contract, so it's not like he's totally filthy rich off it, but that's still enough to retire to a modest lifestyle and supposedly his family comes from money anyway so he doesn't need it much.

Last edited:

xJownage

It depends why you're playing the game. Someone like me, or say the aforementioned Brett Favre, who just wants to go out and beat people in a competition, are gonna wanna play as long as possible. But it's a perfectly reasonable, human thing to go "hey man I can play this game for a couple years and bank a few million" and then just walk away and go do whatever other things you truly love. It doesn't even have to be about the risk of long-term injury. Just because you're good at playing football doesn't mean it's your greatest passion in life. Most people don't have jobs that perfectly align with their personal interests, they do it to make money so they can continue to function in modern society. Getting a job that you can do for 1-3 years and become part of the 1% (or, well, maybe 2 or 3% I dunno the numbers okay) is a pretty damn good deal in my book, most people have to work 20+ years and never even reach millionaire status.

Anyway, lolniners. And holy hell Reggie Bush is 30 already? Feels so long ago...

next-day edit: Apparently Borland "only" made $500k off the first year of his rookie contract, so it's not like he's totally filthy rich off it, but that's still enough to retire to a modest lifestyle and supposedly his family comes from money anyway so he doesn't need it much.
My point was that for some it is the passion of your life, and JackTheGordie made an unfair decision for players stating that he is right to retire favoring health over money. For some players who have that passion, that decision may not be the same.
Patriots sign former Saints running back Travaris Cadet | ProFootballTalk
So what's the over/under on many Rushing Yards and TDs this unknown puts up on Indy next year?
#TC2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)