SM OU The Cletus OU Team Gen 7 Edition (Reached 1772 on the Ladder)

Hello this is Cletus also known as Cletus1 (My Showdown Account) and this is the team i mostly use in SM OU. I like to build my teams with the intention of countering the entire metagame as best as i can. While i do think the team is good i'd like to see what other people think about it.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
-Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
-Poison Jab
-Spikes
-Synthesis

When I started making this team the first thing I looked for was an answer to defensive and Z Stone Edge Landorus, and i came up with Chesnaught. Chesnaught checks certain Landorus, Tangrowth, Mega Swampert, Tapu Bulu, Both Tyranitars and lays up Spikes for free on Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur.

I didn't see a need for specified EVs so i just went with max HP max Def Bold, but if you want you can run some SpD so you can also check Ice Beamless Ash Greninjas. Bulletproof is used because it gives Chesnaught free immunities to Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and various other moves. Leftovers is the preferred item to gain passive recovery but a weakness berry or Rocky Helmet could be used if you want.

I had to choose only one of Chesnaught's STAB's for reasons I'll explain later but the one i choose was his grass STAB so he can deal decent damage to Landorus. I use Wood Hammer because i feel like Seed Bomb makes him too weak but if you don't want to deal with recoil than Seed Bomb is your best bet.
I use Poison Jab over Chesnaught's STAB fighting moves so he can function as a Tapu Bulu check. Spikes can provide valuable chip damage and Synthesis is for semi-reliable recovery.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
-Scald
-Roost
-Toxic
-Haze

After Chesnaught I decided that i needed a check to the tiers fire types and I felt like Mantine was the best fit. Not only is Mantine a fantastic check most of the tiers fire types like Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona and Heatran but it is also a great answer to the tiers water types such as: Keldeo, Ash Greninja, Manaphy, Kingdra, Suicune and some others.

The EVs and nature are set for Mantine to deal with special attackers while the 56 Spe is used to outspeed Adamant Alolan Marowak and hit it with a Scald. Water Absorb is the only ability Mantine should use since an immunity to water means an immunity to scald which is always nice.

Scald is Mantines only offensive move, potentially burning a threat is always nice whether to neuter their attack or negate their Leftovers. Toxic and Haze are Mantine's ways of beating special attacking set up sweepers like Manaphy and Volcarona. Finally roost is Mantines newly acquired means of reliable recovery

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Toxic/HP Ice

Zapdos is actually the second member of Operation: Counter Z Move Landorus. Chesnaught was the first member checking Z Stone Edge while Zapdos Somewhat checks Z Fly. Zapdos also checks various other pokemon in the tier such as: Mega Pinsir, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Toxapex, and Kartana.

The EVs on Zapdos are primarily meant to take physical hits while the 16 Spe plus Timid nature is used to outspeed base 70 speed pokemon such as Bisharp. Static and Rocky Helmet are used to punish U-turn and other contact moves like rapid spin, however you can use leftovers instead if you'd prefer the passive recovery.

An electric move is needed but whether it is discharge for an increased para chance or thunderbolt for increased damage is up to you. Heat Wave is also needed to deal with the various grass types in the tier such as Tapu Bulu, Kartana, and ferrothorn. Roost is obvious but be careful of when you use it since you will be weak to ground will roosting. The last move can be either toxic or HP Ice; HP ice if for ground types while Toxic is for the various other things that want to switch in.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD IVs 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Iron Defense
-Slack Off

Slowbro also known as "Mr save me from Medicham" and the third member of Operation: Counter Z Move Landorus. Mega Slowbro can eat an attack from a +2 Landorus and then proceed to Iron Defense up and recover BUT only if Landorus used his Z Move already. Mega Slowbro also checks most of the physical attacking pokemon in the tier such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Medicham, Kyurem B, Zygarde, Garchomp and many others.

Most of Slowbro's EVs go into making his defense high enough to deal with Landorus but i also put some into his SpD to make stray Earth Powers from Kyurem B do less. The reason why he is relaxed instead of Bold aswell as having 0 Spe IVs is to make him outspeed Alolan Marowak under Trick Room.

Scald is ran on Slowbro for the same reason why Mantine has it; while Psyshock is to have a way to damage Keldeo and Toxapex. Iron Defense is used to basically negate opponents Swords Dances or Dragon Dances while Slack Off allows you to win in the long run due to the ability to heal.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
-Rock Slide

So far my team was showing a major weakness to electric, fairy, psychic, and dragon types; lucky Excadrill has all of that covered aswell as providing me hazard removal. Excadrill has the ability to check top tier threats such as Tapu Koko, Magearna, Tapu Lele, Latios, clefable and many more.

Excadrill needs all of his EVs to be invested into HP and SpD aswell as an Assault Vest in order to reliably check these hard hitting pokemon. Mold Breaker is the only ability that Excadrill has that functions without a sandstorm so use that one.

Due to Assault Vest working the way it does Excadrill can only use attacking moves. Earthquake and Iron Head are STAB while Rock Slide hits Landorus without making contact and Rapid Spin clears Hazards.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
-Moonblast
-Moonlight
-Stealth Rock
-Heal Bell

Clefable was the last pokemon I choose for this team, neatly tying it up with a Stealth Rock user that threatens out Mega Sableye, checks Mega Heracross, provides cleric support with Heal Bell, and taking care of some set up sweepers that might've bypassed my other pokemon.

Max Def and the Bold Nature with the Unaware ability are used to take care of Zygarde if it gets out of control aswell as dealing with Z Fly Salamence and Dragonite

Clefable's moveset should be self explanatory: STAB, recovery, rocks, and curing statues aliments.

Threat List:

While Slowbro can deal with Landorus after it uses it's Z Move, before hand you have to guess the right Z Move or just lose a pokemon which can let another pokemon sweep you.

All Out Pummeling Magearna could easily plow through Excadrill with some chip damage.
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 260-308 (61.3 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Depending on the set Protein Greninja could run through my team

Since I have no trapper or Magearna, Hoopa can just claim a kill every time it comes in.

My Electric Immunity is weak to fire which means Mega Manectric can do serious damage to my team.

Thank you for looking at my team, I am both hopeful and excited to see some feedback.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm dropping by to suggest some changes. Z-Rock lando might not beat this team but Z fly lando sure will, and that's the more threatening set. chesnaught and Zapdos don't really do much to stop it (since it carries Smack Down). You don't really have an answer to it.

First of all, Chesnaught is bad in this meta. It's just horrible. Fighting is a terrible defensive typing, and Grass doesn't alleviate this. It also has 0 special bulk. In addition, your team lacks a good Steel type. AV Excadrill is subpar in this meta because it's simply not bulky enough.

Thus, I'm gonna say Ferrothorn over Chesnaught.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
-Power Whip / Knock Off
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Protect

Ferro can take care of Z Rock lando a lot better with its resistance while still handling Z Fly lando with Protect pretty well. The set is standard.

In addition, your Zapdos set is suboptimal. I'd recommend this set instead:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-HP Ice

This is Zapdos's best set right now. Toxic does help vs stall but it's not super helpful vs anything else and Zapdos would still have a poor matchup vs stall anyways. Pressure gives it some utility vs it I guess. Also, Discharge is much better than Thunderbolt for the 30% paralysis.

Slowbro could also use some work. I'd say to cut Psyshock for Ice Beam, and Iron Defense for Fire Blast. Ice Beam lets it check Lando T more properly, while also giving an Ice move for Zygarde and Garchomp. Iron Defense is not really needed to take on Mega Medi, so Fire Blast is better to give it maximum coverage. Slowbro is meant to be a tank, not a full wall.

Now, we address AV Excadrill. I'd recommend replacing AV Excadrill with Focus Sash Drill:
Excadrill @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic
Ferro has you covered for most of the threats AV exca was supposed to check, so this set will provide valuable utility for your team.

With SR covered, Clefable can drop SR for Protect. In addition, I'd recommend Wish over Moonlight as Wish + Protect has more PP and is more reliable while providing valuable utility.

Here's the importable:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
-Power Whip / Knock Off
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Protect

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-HP Ice

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD IVs 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-Slack Off

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
-Scald
-Roost
-Toxic
-Haze

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Why would you suggest such an offensively minded set like sash drill on a defensive team like this typically with that drill set you'd want partners that can pressure the opponent to not remove hazards or punish him for doing so which is not the case here because they're all defensive mons.

I have no thoughts on Chesnaught since I haven't used it but Ferrothorn doesn't take boosted earthquakes nearly as well as chesnaught. Both lose to z-fly lando though

Last edited:
Actually used this team for some fun tonight and it impressed me. Moonlight Clefebla did some work with its instant recovery, something that Wish woundn't grant right away. I love Slowbro and i was skeptical at first glance, because Iron Defense isn't that popular, but it did its own thing properly vs physical set up mons. Discharge/HP Ice Zapdos is the way to go, though. Thunderbolt doens't do that much for ya.

now, a funny game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-823274500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)